New interview with Bernardo

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Soul_of_Shu

New interview with Bernardo

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Ever since his involvement with the Essentia Foundation, BK's online contributions elsewhere had dwindled considerably. After EF's promising launch with much great content, and apparently drawing much interest, it seems to have stalled as far as new contributions go. But in this talk he's still seeming positive regarding EF's eventual proliferation of a coherent and comprehensive counter-materialist perspective, while finding some kind of consensus, however fledgling it may still be ...

Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Soul_of_Shu

Re: New interview with Bernardo

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Also available, BK's latest talk with Don Hoffman has been shared on the IAI site ...

Shaibei

Post by Shaibei »

I'm looking forward to Bernardo's book about Jung. Bernardo 's ideas expressed in More than allegory resonated with me with the metaphysics presented by Jung's student, Erich Neumann in his remarks on the unitary reality
"And a mute thought sails,
like a swift cloud on high.
Were I to ask, here below,
Amongst the gates of desolation:
Where goes
this captive of the heavens?
There is no one who can reveal to me the book,
or explain to me the chapters."
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Shaibei wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:05 pm I'm looking forward to Bernardo's book about Jung. Bernardo 's ideas expressed in More than allegory resonated with me with the metaphysics presented by Jung's student, Erich Neumann in his remarks on the unitary reality
Amen!

[img][
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Shaibei

Post by Shaibei »

Hi AshvinP, Thanks. Untill now i've read bernardo's books on scribd,so i guess i'll wait for this one too
"And a mute thought sails,
like a swift cloud on high.
Were I to ask, here below,
Amongst the gates of desolation:
Where goes
this captive of the heavens?
There is no one who can reveal to me the book,
or explain to me the chapters."
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Had Amazon's algorithms not matched BK's new book to his internet interests I'd definitely be blaming some anti-idealism conspiracy ;)
Mark Tetzner

Post by Mark Tetzner »

it will only happen if there is a marketing-plan behind it and that takes money.
uploading a few quality-videos wont do the trick.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Clearly BK is finding more time for interviews again ~ who is up for a hero's dose ~ the latest being well over 4 hours

AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:54 pm Clearly BK is finding more time for interviews again ~ who is up for a hero's dose ~ the latest being well over 4 hours
Wow this is a hell of a discussion so far and I am only about an hour in. The question of "morality" under BK's idealism is a great one to explore. I largely agree with BK's assessment that 'moral codes' so far have been nothing more than human constructions which do not seem to be reflected in Nature, but I don't necessarily agree that no 'higher' moral order could be discerned from the archetypal patterns of Nature we experience, including those which currently appear as 'red in tooth and claw'.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

AshvinP wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:53 am
Soul_of_Shu wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:54 pm Clearly BK is finding more time for interviews again ~ who is up for a hero's dose ~ the latest being well over 4 hours
Wow this is a hell of a discussion so far and I am only about an hour in. The question of "morality" under BK's idealism is a great one to explore. I largely agree with BK's assessment that 'moral codes' so far have been nothing more than human constructions which do not seem to be reflected in Nature, but I don't necessarily agree that no 'higher' moral order could be discerned from the archetypal patterns of Nature we experience, including those which currently appear as 'red in tooth and claw'.
Around 1:45:00 BK is finally asked about Peterson, and says he doesn't know enough about him, but knows he is a Jungian and that serves as a common foundation. He is then asked where he disagrees with Jung, and says he doesn't disagree with Jung on anything, that Jung is a 'flat out' idealist, and considers him along with Thomas Kuhn as the two most important 20th century thinkers. That is a hell of a statement (which I agree with, top 5 without a doubt). BK mentions that Jung was "unbeatable" in his breadth and depth into the human condition, not even close to his peers.

I am really looking forward to reading BK's new book on Jung. It appears to me that Jung tended towards a belief in God as conceived in mystical Christian traditions, and that seems like a conception BK disagrees with at an ontological/metaphysical level. Perhaps BK understands Jung much differently in that regard, or perhaps he did not have religious belief in mind when saying he does not disagree with Jung on anything. Any ideas on that?