Brain stem as source of consciousness

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Brad Walker

Re: Brain stem as source of consciousness

Post by Brad Walker »

Identity cosmopsychism is my default position because it elegantly resolves all ancient philosophical conundrums. It's possible there's another metaphysical solution I could compare aesthetically, but unlikely.
Brad Walker

Post by Brad Walker »

Modern neuroscience articles would be more welcome without always saying they invalidate idealism/panpsychism, or being lazy attempts to crowdsource analysis.
dkpstarkey

Post by dkpstarkey »

Brad Walker wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:41 pm Identity cosmopsychism is my default position because it elegantly resolves all ancient philosophical conundrums. It's possible there's another metaphysical solution I could compare aesthetically, but unlikely.
This sounds a lot like Ramana Maharshi's answer to the question of how we should treat others: "There are no others."

I didn't realize there was a name for that. So many names. There are definitely "others" when we name them.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Dave casarino wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:04 pm I feel there seems to be a total lack of any mediatory contemplation, whilst the materialists usually do not even consider non materialist ideas most of the time the idealist response is to merely flip the bias in their own direction. Materialists (or emergentists not necessarily from materialist metaphysics) are convinced, idealists are convinced, there is no maybe's if's or but's. Why are we all so convinced of the victory of our preferred metaphysics? To be sure to be sure, I have observed and indulged in so many different articles certainty to me seems very.... well dangerous really. Maybe not in the way partisanship is dangerous but dangerous in that niggling subtle way that gradually erodes mountains over time.
Dave ... I suspect most here, as with BK, were indoctrinated from day one into the materialist paradigm, and invested considerable time into looking for materialist-based answers to certain explanatory gaps while still focused within that paradigm ~ indeed, BK's journey down that road heading as far as working for CERN. So it's not as if the eventual turn away from the paradigm happens on a whim, but only after having given it due consideration, and finding no imminent explanations forthcoming, that looking into plausible counter-materialist alternatives is then considered. And only insofar as considering the primacy of consciousness opens up other interpretations of the available data that may help fill in some of the gaps, is it worthy of pursuing. This not to say that it provides all the answers, just another way to approach the questions. Meanwhile, should the materialist approach come up with good reason to reconsider, it's not as is there's any lack of opportunity to make that case. However, I find nothing in this current topic thread that does make that case.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

dkpstarkey wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:04 pm
Brad Walker wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:41 pm Identity cosmopsychism is my default position because it elegantly resolves all ancient philosophical conundrums. It's possible there's another metaphysical solution I could compare aesthetically, but unlikely.
This sounds a lot like Ramana Maharshi's answer to the question of how we should treat others: "There are no others."

I didn't realize there was a name for that. So many names. There are definitely "others" when we name them.
Another name for that is 'solipsism'.
Brad Walker

Post by Brad Walker »

SanteriSatama wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:31 pm
dkpstarkey wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:04 pm

Another name for that is 'solipsism'.
Identity cosmopsychism isn't solipsism. The claim that there is one mind is different than there being only my mind. The former is realist.