Nietzsche and Christianity - Metaphysical Idealist Critique

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: Nietzsche and Christianity - Metaphysical Idealist Critique

Post by AshvinP »

Eugene I wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:27 pm
AshvinP wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:08 pm OK so now that's cleared up, let's try again. The above is not an experiential fact, it is an assumption. You may find it to be a pretty unquestionable assumption, but it still remains nothing more than an assumption. There is no amount of meditation which turns that assumption into an undeniable given of experience. (a better word to use here is "inference", since you believe it is a logical conclusion which follows from experience).

Can we agree on that?
Yes we can. The unity of the space is a fact. The rest of the arguments are indeed only assumptions. But, as I said before: I'm not saying that it is impossible in principle that the same experience can be shared between two unified spaces. It's just that there are no conceivable models so far that could explain such phenomenon.

For example, BK's idealism offers a model of consciousness subdivided into alters with DID analogy. We can understand it, it is conceivable and makes sense for the intellect. And it is consistent with no logical contradictions. But I do not know of any model of consciousness that would be conceivable and consistent and at he same time explain how the same experience can be shared between two unified spaces of experiences. It makes no sense for the intellect so to speak. But we can go into the "mysterianism" mode and just say: we claim that the same experience can be shared, but we have no idea how to explain and verify that at this point, hopefully we will be able to understand it in the future. This will then remain an "explanatory gap" for such version of idealism, just like "the hard problem of consciousness" remains an inconceivable explanatory gap in materialism.

In the "competition filed' of the philosophical metaphysics philosophers try to defend their models and demonstrate their advantages based on certain merits. One of the merits is minimal explanatory gaps. There are still no metaphysical models with no explanatory gaps, but some models have less serious gaps, others have more serious. If you create another explanatory gap in your model of idealism, this will push your model back into the queue so to speak, it will be graded lower among other models.

I would say, whether the same experience can be shared or not is an undecidable problem. We can not verify or falsify such claim experimentally, likewise we cannot verify or falsify its negation experimentally. But at least its negation does not trigger the subject combination problem and does not create any explanatory gaps.
Agreed, but let's try to avoid all the discussion of this or that philosophical model for now. I'm all for that kind of discussion normally but we are making some progress here and I don't want to muck it up too much. So we agreed before that what we are trying to do here is use an empirical-scientific approach to spiritual reality. We will only work off of empirical givens. One such given is the unity of individual experiential field.

Cleric and I are also saying another such given is the ability of two or more individuals to experience the same ideal content, to the point where we can participate in the same space of ideal content through communication, empathy, etc. Forgetting any and all philosophical models and corresponding presuppositions about what is possible-impossible, do you agree?
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:08 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:50 pm Hey,

Is there a whole section of page 28 now missing in this thread?

I was referencing an exchange with Cleric when the section seemed to vanish.

It's possible, as we've had a similar issue before with an especially longish thread, where an entire section inexplicably vanished. If so, unfortunately there seems to be no way to restore it.
OK. Thanks for affirming the possibility that I'm not crazy (at least in regard to the post). My post, of course, was a GREAT ONE, and then -- poof and it was gone. Life's like that indeed, says a laughing old guy. :lol: :)
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Lou Gold wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:11 pm OK. Thanks for affirming the possibility that I'm not crazy (at least in regard to the post). My post, of course, was a GREAT ONE, and then -- poof and it was gone. Life's like that indeed, says a laughing old guy. :lol: :)
Old rule of Creative Writing: kill your darlings.

New rule of Creative Writing: ...and if you don't, the Glitch God of Matrix will do the deleting for you. ;)
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

AshvinP wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:07 pm Agreed, but let's try to avoid all the discussion of this or that philosophical model for now. I'm all for that kind of discussion normally but we are making some progress here and I don't want to muck it up too much. So we agreed before that what we are trying to do here is use an empirical-scientific approach to spiritual reality. We will only work off of empirical givens. One such given is the unity of individual experiential field.

Cleric and I are also saying another such given is the ability of two or more individuals to experience the same ideal content, to the point where we can participate in the same space of ideal content through communication, empathy, etc. Forgetting any and all philosophical models and corresponding presuppositions about what is possible-impossible, do you agree?
Well sure. I can think of a geometrical circle, and you can too. We are sharing the same ideal content. But you and me are experiencing that content through thoughts - your thought of a circle belongs to your unity of experience, and my thought of a circle belongs to my unity. We can share the same ideal content (the content of our thoughts), but we cannot share the same thoughts (which are actual phenomena of conscious experience). In this way there is not subject combination problem. So we agree with sharing ideas.

But we were also discussing a different problem - unification of subjects into a higher-order mega-subjects, like unification of human souls into Christ Consciousness/Self. This is where the subject combination problem occurs. Do we share with Christ not only common ideas, but also the actual experiences of thoughts? In other words, does his unity of experience fully includes/embraces all our individual unities and all our actual private conscious experiences?
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

SanteriSatama wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:26 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:11 pm OK. Thanks for affirming the possibility that I'm not crazy (at least in regard to the post). My post, of course, was a GREAT ONE, and then -- poof and it was gone. Life's like that indeed, says a laughing old guy. :lol: :)
Old rule of Creative Writing: kill your darlings.

New rule of Creative Writing: ...and if you don't, the Glitch God of Matrix will do the deleting for you. ;)
I'm feeling liberated.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Eugene I wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:40 pm
AshvinP wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:07 pm Agreed, but let's try to avoid all the discussion of this or that philosophical model for now. I'm all for that kind of discussion normally but we are making some progress here and I don't want to muck it up too much. So we agreed before that what we are trying to do here is use an empirical-scientific approach to spiritual reality. We will only work off of empirical givens. One such given is the unity of individual experiential field.

Well sure. I can think of a geometrical circle, and you can too. We are sharing the same ideal content. But you and me are experiencing that content through thoughts - your thought of a circle belongs to your unity of experience, and my thought of a circle belongs to my unity. We can share the same ideal content (the content of our thoughts), but we cannot share the same thoughts (which are actual phenomena of conscious experience). In this way there is not subject combination problem. So we agree with sharing ideas.
So let's slow our roll here... we need to avoid adding in any assumptions except those we all agree on, which appears to be only one. Please take my "we" to include myself because I find myself doing this often too. We take a question or comment, respond, anticipate where the other person may be headed, and add in responses to those unspoken questions too, invariably including unshared assumptions. That is the quickest way to make a productive dialogue unproductive.

So we agree that we can and do share the same ideal content. Next, another given is that ideal content is always inseparably connected to phenomenally conscious living beings. Do you agree? FYI i doubt I have too many more of these before I summarize and pass the torch to Cleric to run with as only he can. Or maybe Scott too if he had the patience and interest. :)
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Eugene I wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:40 pm But we were also discussing a different problem - unification of subjects into a higher-order mega-subjects, like unification of human souls into Christ Consciousness/Self. This is where the subject combination problem occurs. Do we share with Christ not only common ideas, but also the actual experiences of thoughts? In other words, does his unity of experience fully includes/embraces all our individual unities and all our actual private conscious experiences?
Insofar Son is the Father, from which the Fisherman nets and sets of separated containers of experiencing emanate and shine in hierarchic top-down manner (carry rules of arithmetic work with p-adics, but not with reals), it seems very plausible that the Father fully includes and embraces the Forms of His creation. And let's be fair. In the trials of god, the Father does not fare especially well, especially if he claims both Omnipotence and Omniscience.

So, which God did Nietzsche kill? Which divinity spoke in and through Nietzsche? A god named nysos of God. There is no consensus on the meaning and etymology of nysos, per wiki:
The second element -nūsos is of unknown origin.[22] It is perhaps associated with Mount Nysa, the birthplace of the god in Greek mythology, where he was nursed by nymphs (the Nysiads),[27] although Pherecydes of Syros had postulated nũsa as an archaic word for "tree" by the sixth century BC.[28][29] On a vase of Sophilos the Nysiads are named νύσαι (nusae).[30] Kretschmer asserted that νύση (nusē) is a Thracian word that has the same meaning as νύμφη (nýmphē), a word similar with νυός (nuos) (daughter in law, or bride, I-E *snusós, Sanskr. snusā).[31] He suggested that the male form is νῦσος (nūsos) and this would make Dionysus the "son of Zeus".[30] Jane Ellen Harrison believed that the name Dionysus means " young Zeus".[32] Robert S. P. Beekes has suggested a Pre-Greek origin of the name, since all attempts to find an Indo-European etymology are doubtful.
I suggest another etymology, from the verb νυσσω, for which Liddell-Scott gives meanings: touch with a sharp point, prick, stab, pierce; impinge upon (especially of sense impressions).

In this interpretation Dionysos is the aspect of the God on top of the hierarchy that stabs holes and that way carves boundaries of separation, as well as the sharp points of particle piercings of collapsing quantum waves. Picks and chooses prime numbers, which are special kinds of unities in the sense that they are divisible only by one and by themselves. We can read p-adic from the top also: A pad, I see!

As how this relates to empirical evidence and feedback valuation from sensual regions, Dionysos becomes not only the sharp pointy tool, but also a rebellion against the A-pollonian idea of harmony and order, orgy, mania etc. violation of boundaries, closely related to Pan. The Whole, and the panic that Order feels when faced with the creative chaotic aspect of Holomovement.

The Son is not just an exact copy of the Father, the Son is also hands reaching out, both blessing and asking for help, because he is also Oedipus, the pain in his swollen foot as they stand in the form of the isosceles triangle, measuring and cutting a gap in ground of love, the Shadow of the Father A-bove.
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

AshvinP wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:31 pm So let's slow our roll here... we need to avoid adding in any assumptions except those we all agree on, which appears to be only one. Please take my "we" to include myself because I find myself doing this often too. We take a question or comment, respond, anticipate where the other person may be headed, and add in responses to those unspoken questions too, invariably including unshared assumptions. That is the quickest way to make a productive dialogue unproductive.

So we agree that we can and do share the same ideal content. Next, another given is that ideal content is always inseparably connected to phenomenally conscious living beings. Do you agree? FYI i doubt I have too many more of these before I summarize and pass the torch to Cleric to run with as only he can. Or maybe Scott too if he had the patience and interest. :)
Well, not so fast, I'm going back, I actually don't think I would agree with the first one.

Let's say I have a thought of a mathematical circle and you have a thought of a mathematical circle. An abstract mathematical object - a circle according to its mathematical definition, is (supposed to be) the same. However, how do we know and verify that the content of my and your thoughts are identical? May be we envision or understand the circle differently? And I'm sure we will be, even if we both take the same definition of a circle (and there are actually many possible definitions, but let's assume we use the same definition), our "understanding" of such definition may also vary according to our personal mathematical abilities, mathematical background and intuition, so the contents of our thoughts about the circle will be in most cases quite different, although in general we would be thinking about a "circle". I don't think two people can think of a circle in exactly the same way with identical content of their thoughts. And even if it somehow would happen, how would we verify that fact experimentally, how do we compare the content of our thoughts, if one is experienced by me and your is experienced by you, and I have no way to experience your thought? even if the communication is telepathic, how do we know that the content of thoughts is identical?

Even worse: try to think about a circle two times. I tried and every time the content of my thought about circle is slightly different. Even I myself can't think about circle identically two times. We can say: well, the contents of our thoughts are only reflections/representations of the pure idea of a circle, so the idea is the same, but representations of it in our thoughts vary. This means that there exists such thing as a pure abstract idea of a circle regardless if anyone is thinking about it or not. But that's exactly Platonism.

I think this problem of shared experiences and/or shared ideas is totally undecidable, we will not progress anywhere and will be just going in circles (thinking about circles :) )
Last edited by Eugene I on Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Eugene I wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:38 pm Let's say I have a thought of a mathematical circle and you have a thought of a mathematical circle. An abstract mathematical object - a circle according to its mathematical definition, is (supposed to be) the same. However, how do we know and verify that the content of my and your thoughts are identical? May be we envision or understand the circle differently? And I'm sure we will be, even if we both take the same definition of a circle (and there are actually many possible definitions, but let's assume we use the same definition), our "understanding" of such definition may also vary according to our personal mathematical abilities, mathematical background and intuition, so the contents of our thoughts about the circle will be in most cases quite different, although in general we would be thinking about a "circle". I don't think two people can think of a circle in exactly the same way with identical content of their thoughts. And even if it somehow would happen, how would we verify that fact experimentally, how do we compare the content of our thoughts, if one is experienced by me and your is experienced by you, and I have no way to experience your thought? even if the communication is telepathic, how do we know that the content of thoughts is identical?

I think this problem of shared experiences and/or shared ideas is totally undecidable, we will not progress anywhere and will be just going in circles (thinking about circles :) )
Yes, context matters very much also in mathematics. Even if we think of a circle inside same well defined foundational language, the form stays open to many interpretations and meaning givings from unique life situations. The following form in Relop language can be interpreted in various ways, among them Landscape of π:

<>< <> ><>
<<> <> <>>
><> <> <><
<>> <> <<>

Sharing ideas and their interpretations is not in vain. That's how we can break away from a vicious circle.
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

SanteriSatama wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:05 am Yes, context matters very much also in mathematics. Even if we think of a circle inside same well defined foundational language, the form stays open to many interpretations and meaning givings from unique life situations. The following form in Relop language can be interpreted in various ways, among them Landscape of π:

<>< <> ><>
<<> <> <>>
><> <> <><
<>> <> <<>

Sharing ideas and their interpretations is not in vain. That's how we can break away from a vicious circle.
Right. Sharing ideas is how we communicate, we do it all the time, but what is happening is that in communications we exchange linguistic signs and images , but our subjective representations/interpretations of these signs are always different.