Have Engrams (the theorized biophysical traces of memories in the brain) been addressed by Bernardo & others?

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
James_B

Have Engrams (the theorized biophysical traces of memories in the brain) been addressed by Bernardo & others?

Post by James_B »

I saw a post on the r/psychologystudents sub-reddit last night in which a poster asked for journal recommendations on where memories are stored in the brain. One of the responses linked a video to SciShow Psych YouTube channel. Here's the video:

Engrams are defined as "a unit of cognitive information inside the brain, theorized to be the means by which memories are stored as biophysical or biochemical changes in the brain in response to external stimuli."

I know Bernardo has addressed memories before but has he addressed Engrams (or have other non-physicalists addressed engrams) specifically?

Physicalism doesn't make much sense to me so I don't subscribe to it (though I don't subscribe to Idealism either since I don't understand it enough but I'm a general non-physicalist). That said, I've heard most people say there's no evidence for memories being stored in the brain, but recently discovering this has been puzzling to me.

Would like to get the community's thoughts on this.