Bernardo's active brain comments

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Jim Cross

Re: Bernardo's active brain comments

Post by Jim Cross »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:29 pm
Jim Cross wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:32 pmNo amount of correlation or lack of correlation between brain activity and experience demonstrates any proof of an ontological position or provides any resolution of the "hard problem".
Thanks for reiterating my point, which is that regardless of whether or not BK's argument is a good one in this case, it still leaves materialism, as a philosophical premise, with its hard problem, whatever NCC there may be in the case of psychedelic use. And so, in considering a counter-materialist alternative, as per the discussion with Ruth Kastner, an empirical case for the primacy of consciousness is not really seriously compromised simply because of this one debatable issue, even if BK insists on a different interpretation of the data.
Basically I agree enough that I won't nitpick with your comment.

Kastner looks interesting from her interpretation of QM which surprisingly I hadn't heard of before. I need to spend a little more time looking at that.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Jim Cross wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:39 pm Lou,

The context of my comments has related to measurable brain activity by scientific means, such as EEG or fMRI. It is not related to whether your brain feels busy or feels calm, feels balanced or feels confused. The comments are in the context of this thread which is the context of scientific research on psychedelics.
C'mon Jim -- you are playing it both ways.
The larger point is that the relationships between brain activity and experience aren't simple and you can't tie transformative experience necessarily to decreased activity or increased activity in every case. And that includes the cases where the brain has a confusing mixture of increases and decreases as it does with psychedelics.
I addressed your statement and offered examples of the conditions under which the "confusing mixture of increases and decreases as it does with psychedelics" is practiced with the intention to integrate and transform. And, of course, as Shu already pointed out, increased awareness will have brain correlates such as quieting one area and activating another. And, in this sense, I intentionally chose Santo Daime rather than Zen examples because of all the vigorous activity, which undoubtedly produced increased brain correlates.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Jim,

Granting that the "confusion" of which you speak is in the simultaneous increased measurements of brain activity and inactivity. But why call it 'confusing' instead of 'expected'? I think it depends on your ontic stance.
findingblanks

Post by findingblanks »

Oh, I realize that even if we find a correlation between brain activity and psychedelics that materialists still can't tell any story about how consciousness arises from arrangments of matter. But I'm curious if Bernardo would agree that it is probably just a matter of time until we can provoke a physical image of such experiences.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

findingblanks wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:30 pm Oh, I realize that even if we find a correlation between brain activity and psychedelics that materialists still can't tell any story about how consciousness arises from arrangments of matter. But I'm curious if Bernardo would agree that it is probably just a matter of time until we can provoke a physical image of such experiences.
One can't tell a story about anything from any position without images.

The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao;
The name that can be named is not the eternal name.
The Nameless is the origin of Heaven and Earth;
The Named is the mother of all things.
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

findingblanks wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:30 pm Oh, I realize that even if we find a correlation between brain activity and psychedelics that materialists still can't tell any story about how consciousness arises from arrangments of matter. But I'm curious if Bernardo would agree that it is probably just a matter of time until we can provoke a physical image of such experiences.
The question is what do we imply with 'physical image'? Bernardo's statement is very broad. Neural firings are just one form of physical image.

Let's consider the following. What if consciousness experiences the state of entanglement within the body and even beyond the body? Today's theory claims that entanglement can't hold longer than very short time and quickly decoheres. But how do we know that? Only because of specially contrived experiments in very controlled environments. We repeat the same experiment over and over again so that we build statistical data which confirms Bell's inequalities and thus the reality of entanglement. Since we are at great pains to support such a state of entanglement (as it can be seen in the current struggles in quantum computing) we assume that it's absurd that such a phenomenon could exist by any practical means at levels above the very tiny - such as biology. Yet at the same time even physicists admit that if the Big Bang is true, all fields existed in a singularity and thus now every particle is somewhat entangled with every other particle in the Universe, even though in largely decohered state.

The thing is that we build the theory only based on what we can experiment with and that's the highly controlled environments with handful of particles. There's no way to measure if some particles not prepared by us are entangled. For example, we measure the state of a particle in the toe and one in the brain and we get some result. How can we ever tell if these particles were in entangled state? We can't. We need to be able to measure both particles over and over again to build statistics that would confirm results different from complete randomness. But we can't do that. In the lab we can prepare the experiment in the same initial conditions every time but we can't return the biological system in the same state and measure it multiple times.

Anyone with experience in psychedelics beyond a head trip knows that bodily awareness is just as real. We can experience imagery in our whole body, not only in the head. Of course scientists will say that the experience is really only in the head and the brain simply "imagines" the bodily awareness. But this is a strong claim that expresses only a particular scientific position, it's not some hard fact. If we consider the possibility that consciousness expands as far as it is possible to reflect itself in the coherence of entanglement, then naturally every part of the wave function can reflect consciousness, even beyond the body - after all we're entangled with the environment too. Please note that coherence of the wave function doesn't mean that all parts should act the same. That is, synchronous oscillations is just a special case. As in regular entanglement, one particle is spin up, the other is spin down - they are parts of coherent state, yet are measured as opposite. In this sense if we focus on the search of synchronous oscillations within parts of the body we may never find what we're looking for. The whole conscious state could be fully coherent while at the same time the entangled particles can be seen as random. We simply have no means to tell if this randomness is actually result of entangled state and all particles are like communicating vessels.

In short, if we take a broader view, we can see that it can still be true that consciousness has direct physical image in the way everything is entangled together, while we can never build a physical tool that can measure this entanglement. Thus we should really focus on what conscious experience itself can provide and not wait for physical 'proof' that consciousness is more than firing neurons.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Cleric K wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:27 amquote=findingblanks post_id=4308 time=1617222648 user_id=68]
In short, if we take a broader view, we can see that it can still be true that consciousness has direct physical image in the way everything is entangled together, while we can never build a physical tool that can measure this entanglement. Thus we should really focus on what conscious experience itself can provide and not wait for physical 'proof' that consciousness is more than firing neurons.
I note with pleasure that you are calling it a broader rather than a higher view. Nice!
Jim Cross

Post by Jim Cross »

Lou Gold wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:47 pm
Jim Cross wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:39 pm Lou,

The context of my comments has related to measurable brain activity by scientific means, such as EEG or fMRI. It is not related to whether your brain feels busy or feels calm, feels balanced or feels confused. The comments are in the context of this thread which is the context of scientific research on psychedelics.
C'mon Jim -- you are playing it both ways.
The larger point is that the relationships between brain activity and experience aren't simple and you can't tie transformative experience necessarily to decreased activity or increased activity in every case. And that includes the cases where the brain has a confusing mixture of increases and decreases as it does with psychedelics.
I addressed your statement and offered examples of the conditions under which the "confusing mixture of increases and decreases as it does with psychedelics" is practiced with the intention to integrate and transform. And, of course, as Shu already pointed out, increased awareness will have brain correlates such as quieting one area and activating another. And, in this sense, I intentionally chose Santo Daime rather than Zen examples because of all the vigorous activity, which undoubtedly produced increased brain correlates.
Lou,

I haven't seen that you have cited anything relating to scientific measurements or studies. You have only cited subjective feelings. There is certainly a place for subjective feelings but I am responding to this in the scientific context in which the questions have been asked. This all relates to the debates between Bernardo and various neuroscientists regarding reduction in the measurable brain activity under psychedelics. Do you have anything regarding Santo Daime in that regard?

We can't always go by feelings as far as knowing what the brain is actually doing. The calmness, one-pointedness of meditators is accompanied by increased brain activity but it is increased activity of a very specific type - mainly gamma waves in the example of the Zen practitioners.

Bernardo's argument has been that decreased brain activity with psychedelics seems to contradict the subjective experience of expanded awareness. But the understanding that the reduction of activity in the DMN puts the brain into a critical state with increased entropy and complexity of information explains the apparent contradiction. So there is really no confusion (perhaps I misspoke) or contradiction between the subjective experience and measurable brain activity.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

I wonder what the brain looks like on acid and music ? ...
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
findingblanks

Post by findingblanks »

Thanks Cleric!

I'm not looking for proof of these states. I'm just noticing that Bernardo's model would predict that we very well should expect to see physical activity that correlates to these states if we develop finer and finer measurement interactions. Of course all of those devices are also images of transpersonal aspects of consciousness.