Does idealism square with intelligent design?

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Ed Konderla

Re: Does idealism square with intelligent design?

Post by Ed Konderla »

Lou Gold wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:40 pm
Ed Konderla wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:01 pmAgreed.
I think our theories tend to rationalize past events. Quite predictably a Christian might see Intelligent Design and a Buddhist might see Interdependent Co-arising in the very same thing. Meanwhile, Idealism allows both and more without compelling one or the other.
I totally agree. We so need to believe in our ability to look at data and extrapolate a narrative when in reality we should be saying "I don't know". Especially in things like the sciences, education, engineering. I've often wondered if it is a quirk in human nature or the pressure put on one while playing in that arena or both. But I've been around the block and those 3 little words "I don't know" are more scarce than hen's teeth.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Ed Konderla wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:53 am
Lou Gold wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:40 pm
Ed Konderla wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:01 pmAgreed.
I think our theories tend to rationalize past events. Quite predictably a Christian might see Intelligent Design and a Buddhist might see Interdependent Co-arising in the very same thing. Meanwhile, Idealism allows both and more without compelling one or the other.
I totally agree. We so need to believe in our ability to look at data and extrapolate a narrative when in reality we should be saying "I don't know". Especially in things like the sciences, education, engineering. I've often wondered if it is a quirk in human nature or the pressure put on one while playing in that arena or both. But I've been around the block and those 3 little words "I don't know" are more scarce than hen's teeth.
Perhaps, "I don't know" is a kind of failure in a culture of striving and achievement (as if love needs to be earned) but it's also a glorious prod to an inborn childlike curiosity that turns over rocks in the creek to see what might be lurking underneath. When I realize that at age 83 there are presently more cells in my body competing/cooperating, killing/healing, and doing a whole bunch of other things -- more cells in my body than stars in the entire cosmos -- and somehow they are performing in ways that keep me alive on earth in a glorious place at a terrible time of wonder and terror I can only say, "I don't know" with a deep bow of gratitude.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Ed Konderla

Post by Ed Konderla »

Lou, Dude I bow to your wisdom and your maturity! I know, the numbers are staggering. A 100,000,000,000,000 atoms to make a single cell and 30,000,000,000,000 cells of over 200 types from a single fertilized egg. Hell yes I know what is going on, just ask me!(Joking) Many times I feel like I have this amazing machine transporting my consciousness around this incredible theme park and I don't know how I got a ticket to enter since I don't remember purchasing one. When you get into these discussions by their very nature they are myopic. Yes we are living in a "terrible time of wonder and terror" but like a roller coaster that is the reason for the ride. Way back in the back of my mind while pondering I keep getting this nagging feeling that maybe that is the reason we are here, just to experience the roller coaster. We are here just to embrace it and love the thrill of it. If our consciousness can't die and somebody someplace felt the need to put all of this together then what could possibly be the purpose. In my mind a purpose could be to experience and walk away and go back home with a lesson. In the American Indian tradition I follow the lesson learned is yours and yours alone. It is not to be shared because in the sharing the power of the lesson is diminished.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

I know the tradition and, for whatever lesson is mine alone, I've lived to tell the story.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Thinking of Ramana saying, "I see God in the tree because I see the tree as a tree."

Marco Masi

Post by Marco Masi »

As far as I understand it, BKs theory is in line with Darwinian evolution and posits M@L as not having any design or telos. It is a blind instinct will that becomes self-aware in the evolutionary process with Individualisation emerging from the dissociated alters. But there is no design, aim, purpose.

My problem with this is how there could be then a creative process? It is hard to believe that a purely instinctive and blind will without any form of intelligence could master an evolutionary process with such a fantastic complexity, leading to such an incredible variety of lifeforms. The only alternative I can think of is to fall back to the purely naturalist perspective of material micro- and macroscopic processes driven by genetic and natural random selection principles doing the job. But that would be a rather disappointing outcome for a theory that was supposed to get rid of a physicalist account of phenomena and processes. Because then, one wonders, why should we posit a M@L in the first place?
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

I suspect that any current model we may have about an evolutionary process at some point will become so outmoded that it will be considered as quaint and naive as the notion of flat earth geocentrism now seems, and that what we think we currently know to be true will be laughable, most especially in view of the realization that there's no such time as umpteen billion years ago when it all began.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Simon Adams

Post by Simon Adams »

I think Pageau covered evolution (and plenty more) really well in this discussion...

Ideas are certain original forms of things, their archetypes, permanent and incommunicable, which are contained in the Divine intelligence. And though they neither begin to be nor cease, yet upon them are patterned the manifold things of the world that come into being and pass away.
St Augustine
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Under idealism, what is evolving are ideas, no more no less ~ time being one of those ideas.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Ben Iscatus

Post by Ben Iscatus »

As far as I understand it, BKs theory is in line with Darwinian evolution and posits M@L as not having any design or telos. It is a blind instinct will that becomes self-aware in the evolutionary process with Individualisation emerging from the dissociated alters. But there is no design, aim, purpose.

My problem with this is how there could be then a creative process? It is hard to believe that a purely instinctive and blind will without any form of intelligence could master an evolutionary process with such a fantastic complexity, leading to such an incredible variety of lifeforms. The only alternative I can think of is to fall back to the purely naturalist perspective of material micro- and macroscopic processes driven by genetic and natural random selection principles doing the job. But that would be a rather disappointing outcome for a theory that was supposed to get rid of a physicalist account of phenomena and processes. Because then, one wonders, why should we posit a M@L in the first place?
In a recent interview , BK talks of MAL using a "push from behind" rather than a pull from a pre-planned future. So, driven by what it finds increasingly interesting (in the same way as the warmer colder game), MAL's instinctive push happens.