On the Nihilism of Belief

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: On the Nihilism of Belief

Post by AshvinP »

Ed Konderla wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:42 pm I think what many point to as "human suffering" is caused by their own self indulgence and desired self importance. I doubt many here worry about where their food comes from, their electricity, who deals with their waste, who pays for their medical bills, who serves and protects them from the criminal eliminate and yet they hold their suffering up as paramount. Not impressed, not even a little. So I'll gracefully bow out so you can go back to contemplating your belly buttons and convincing yourself that mind at large and the physical universe is sitting on the edge of it's seat waiting for the next grand pronouncement of what it should be doing.
Your gripe seems to be with the "SJW" victimhood culture in the West and I agree. Many people take their relative safety for granted and have no idea how much our cultural institutions insulate them from the dark and unknown. I'm not sure where you got the idea that anyone here was "holding their suffering up as paramount". Speaking for myself and to the original topic of this post, I was claiming many people escape into religious dualist prisons because they want to avoid responsibility for their own suffering. There is no easier way to avoid that than to convince oneself that one is powerless to make a difference. But, to each his own. Best of luck to you.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"