On the Nihilism of Belief

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

On the Nihilism of Belief

Post by AshvinP »

There are two different types of people in the world, those who want to know, and those who want to believe.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

What is it about the modern era which lingers on to make us so feel gloomy all of the time? We can hardly move an inch before being seized by doom from the entertainment or "news" media. Politics, as usual, is no beacon of hope. Neither is Academia. Philosophical and spiritual realms of discourse traditionally provided us some rays of sunlight, but that is patently not the case anymore. Most of our intellectual and spiritual knowledge is now employed in service of finding ever-more ways to convince ourselves that the 'end is nigh'; that the "Apocalypse" is right around the corner. The few times we are offered messages of hope, those messages are couched in the context of escaping from-the-world rather than being-in-it.

These machinations of modern culture are justified to us on the grounds that they are "realistic". So what exactly is "reality"? Is it something we derive from a living participation in the world or from a detached reflection on the world as an object of our knowledge? The nihilistic view is that of the latter. It is the view which flows naturally from Rene Descartes' divide of the world into realms of 'spirit-mind' (subject) and 'matter' (object). Immanuel Kant, as discussed in Res Ipsa Loquitur: Kant vs. the World, then took Descartes' subject-object divide for granted and further divided the realm of 'spirit-mind' into what is actually real and what is merely experienced as real. The latter, according to Kant, is the world of phenomenal appearances we live in, reflect on and systematically investigate.

It does not take a huge stretch of our imaginations to see where Kant's epistemic logic has taken us; to see why his epistemology is fundamentally pessimistic-nihilistic at its core. The world of appearances is the world we live in. It is the only world we ever experience and reflect on in normal waking consciousness. What if you were to wake up one day, walk to the bathroom mirror, and see no one in the mirror's reflection. Then you would begin to experience as an individual what humanity has already begun to experience as a collective. You would feel not only confusion, but also despair in confronting what it means when the phenomenal world no longer reflects any aspect of yourself back to you.

We would then feel perfectly justified when saying things like:

"History is written by the winners"
Translation: All of our traditions, cultures, and institutions are nothing more than reflections of who happened to defeat their opponents by sheer force.

"Nature Bats Last"
Translation: Humanity has become a blight on Nature and Nature will have the 'final word' when it takes its revenge on humanity.

"Religion is an opiate for the masses"
Translation: The soul-spirit burning within you is nothing more than a mechanism imposed by culture to keep you ignorant and happy while you are exploited and pillaged.

"Contrary to what our desire cannot fail to be tempted into believing, the thing itself always escapes.”

The last one is Jacques Derrida and needs no translation. These sayings come from those who tend to be secular and in opposition to "institutional religion". But I am by no means going to let the conservative religious folk off of the hook so easily. In fact, I am even more disappointed in the Churches of the West in the modern era. Those acting within the sphere of our ancient spiritual traditions should preserve that ancient wisdom for posterity, but unfortunately they seem to have learned little more from our spiritual history than anyone else. Below we have pre-eminent theologians saying much of the same things as the skeptics but under a different cloak:

"Relying on God has to start all over everyday, as if nothing has yet been done."
― C. S. Lewis

"I’ve discovered an astonishing truth: God is attracted to weaknesses. He can’t resist those who humbly and honestly admit how desperately they need Him."
― Jim Cymbala

"The issue of faith is not so much whether we believe in God, but whether we believe the God we believe in."
— R.C. Sproul

"The true gospel is a call to self-denial. It is not a call to self-fulfillment."
― John MacArthur

Let me be as clear as I can possibly be - I am not claiming anything about the spiritual wisdom of those quoted except that they were all products of modernity like the rest of us. They came under the spell of the Cartesian and Kantian divides like everyone else in the West. There is a deeply planted seed of Truth in all of the quotes above. A humble mode of being in the world and the integration of our ego with our higher Self is of critical importance. What I am questioning, however, are the fruits of modern theology in the Western world. In that sense, it could not matter less who wrote the above or in what context, because the underlying ideas expressed are plainly evident throughout Western Christendom.

Pre-eminent Christian scholars have translated the radical cynicism of the secular "progressives" into a nihilism of the religious right. For them, it is not Nature which seeks revenge but a supernatural God who sought to impose His wrath upon us for our sins. That which oppresses and exploits us is not our cultural institutions but our personal spiritual ambitions. We therefore find in the modern Church an increasingly large gap growing between our daily experiences and those of the Divine; between our personal efforts and our future redemption; between what makes us human and what makes us spiritual.

We now adopt a naïve deferral to faith over experience and knowledge; a conceit which naturally tastes like bitter poison to the human tongue. It is as if these theologians are doing their best impressions of the earliest Christians who could not help but defer to faith. I especially take issue with the last two from Sproul and MacArthur - the first makes our purpose in life two layers removed and abstract from what we experience and know. Our "faith" is now about believing in our own beliefs about God. He is making the point that we should be serious about what we claim to believe in, but in the process he is reducing both our faith and the seriousness of our faith to a mere matter of belief over experience.

The one from MacArthur renders our purpose in life to be a denial that we even have any purposes of our own making. To be self-determined and find satisfaction in one's own purposes is now considered arrogant and prideful. To follow one's desires and ambitions is considered a rejection of God Himself. Yet what is the Gospel, i.e. the 'Good News', if not a revelation of God becoming man so that man could take responsibility for finding his way back to God, i.e. to act as Jesus of Nazareth did after his baptism? If we are to embody and emulate Christ incarnate in our lives, then how can we deny ourselves that mode of being which He so clearly modeled for us?

Our modern theologians will resent the implication that we can possibly be "saved by works". But there is no getting around the fact that "faith without works is dead". We must sink or swim; adapt or die. We must evolve, but that will not happen until we learn to stop thinking that "evolution" is the theological equivalent of a curse word among serious religious thinkers. Rather, we must recognize it as a reality that we all experience. There is not a single adult human alive today who has not evolved from an infant into a child and from a child into an adult. That is not only the evolution of our outer form but the evolution of our consciousness itself; of our inner psychic life; of our spiritual life.

That process is one we scarcely remember, much like the dreams we have every night. Yet it is undeniable that we have experienced the world in altered modes of consciousness in both our childhood and our dreams. As with any evolutionary process, the earlier forms are nested within the later forms and therefore persist with us today, lying dormant but ready to be awakened at a moment's notice. We can either deny them and pretend as if they never existed or we can embrace them as real and seek from them a spiritual remembrance. The latter is how we stop drinking the infant's milk and begin consuming solid food; how we discover that "the Kingdom of God is within [us]".

Evolution is nothing other than the adoption of an ever-growing responsibility for our own lives as individuals and as collectives. It is the blazing of our own paths in the course of our spiritual becoming. Dare I say, it is the forgiveness of our own sins.

The acceptance of oneself is the essence of the whole moral problem and the epitome of a whole outlook on life. That I feed the hungry, that I forgive an insult, that I love my enemy in the name of Christ -- all these are undoubtedly great virtues. What I do unto the least of my brethren, that I do unto Christ.

But what if I should discover that the least among them all, the poorest of all the beggars, the most impudent of all the offenders, the very enemy himself -- that these are within me, and that I myself stand in need of the alms of my own kindness -- that I myself am the enemy who must be loved -- what then? As a rule, the Christian's attitude is then reversed; there is no longer any question of love or long-suffering; we say to the brother within us "Raca," and condemn and rage against ourselves. We hide it from the world; we refuse to admit ever having met this least among the lowly in ourselves
.”
― Carl Jung, Memories, Dreams, Reflections

The experience of death to our egoistic being so that we may find a renewed life in the Spirit is truly at the core of the Christian faith. We are to wield the gift of such a renewed Spirit for the benefit of all beings, not only our limited ego-selves. What is not at the core of the faith, however, is the de-spiritualized and merely intellectual concept of Self-denial. It is the concept that we must experience ourselves as an ego stuck in a state of helpless dependency on external agents, whether that be our parents, our teachers, our governments, our nations, or our "Gods". Yet we cannot find this mere concept anywhere in our individual experience.

Our experience suggests we are more than helpless spiritual infants, waiting for someone else to do for us what we cannot do for ourselves. Instead, we naturally observe, learn and mature in the course of our psychic development. We are always in a process of becoming more than what we were the day before. Every time we go to sleep, we wake up with more ideal content-experience than we did the day before, even though we often forget that experience until something triggers our memory of it later. That universal human experience leads us neither to a naïve optimism nor to a cynical pessimism bordering on nihilism.

"All optimism and pessimism are thereby refuted. Optimism assumes that the world is perfect, that it must be a source of the greatest satisfaction for man. But if this is to be the case, man would first have to develop - within himself - those needs through which to arrive at this satisfaction. He would have to gain from the objects what it is he demands.

Pessimism believes that the world is constituted in such a way that it leaves man eternally dissatisfied, that he can never be happy. What a pitiful creature man would be if nature offered him satisfaction from outside! All lamentations about an existence that does not satisfy us, about this hard world, must disappear before the thought that no power in the world could satisfy us if we ourselves did not first lend it that magical power by which it uplifts and gladdens us. Satisfaction must come to us out of what we make of things, out of our own creations. Only that is worthy of free beings
."
-Rudolf Steiner, Goethean Science

Freedom: the lack of it is what always rests at the base of our absolute pessimism-nihilism. We cannot feel hopeful about anything we experience unless we first feel that it is we who are choosing to make sense of it. Genuine hope can only be found in spiritual freedom and the responsibilities such a freedom calls forth from us. We are not free spiritual beings because we are faithful; we are faithful beings because we are freely spiritual. It is that spiritual nature which inextricably links us to the life of the Divine. We must know the truth, in the deep Biblical sense of that word, before it can set us free. We can choose to love God only after knowing that God first chose to love us.

That is what Kant stripped from us most of all - our sense that we can freely choose to experience the world from different perspectives rather than the involuntary perspective forced upon us by Kant's categories. To be clear, I am not claiming Kant's categories of understanding, the ones structuring all of our experiences, are his own fictions. Not at all. It is the exact opposite of that - I am suggesting the categories truly reflect back to us a real living and breathing portion of the noumenal world and it is our spiritual duty to contemplate the significance of our position and role in the progressive unfolding of the Reality we experience.

We do not all live in our own personal bubbles of consciousness, passing information back and forth between our bubble-avatars in some unknown manner. Rather, we share the same space of consciousness with each other and with the Spirits who inform our existence and experience. We exited our Edenic paradise as the Spirit came to know itself through its forms. That is what makes human beings capable of true communication and empathy. It is what allows us to experience the same ideal content and perspectives of other beings. As we grow spiritually and mature, we uncover the complicated network of noumenal relations and we come to know for ourselves what we once merely took on faith alone; what we once naively believed.

"A mind not to be changed by place or time.
The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a heav'n of hell, a hell of heav'n
"
-John Milton, Paradise Lost
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Soul_of_Shu

Re: On the Nihilism of Belief

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

In a nutshell ... With the fusion, the confusion ends ;)
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Thank you Ashvin! I really feel joy when flowing together with your stream of inspiration.
AshvinP wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:23 am As we grow spiritually and mature, we uncover the complicated network of noumenal relations and we come to know for ourselves what we once merely took on faith alone; what we once naively believed.
Today I was on a walk outside civilization. Everything is getting green and blossomy here, very inspiring time of year. As I was looking at a beautiful bush
I was having the clear experience how this plant form is a living thought, the result of spiritual activity of a being that is trying to preserve the Life principle within the domain of aggressive mineralization, and experiments with aesthetics in the process. And immediately I was uplifted because of how fantastic of a future is possible for us (unless we screw this up badly). All the pain and suffering will be compensated thousand fold. It was worth it that the Spirit descended so deep into the fragments, because now on our way up we have the chance to experience an amazing creative journey. Everything that we see around as Maya (the complicated network of noumenal relations) will be rediscovered from the 'other', the creative side and creative work will continue in full consciousness. This was precisely in sync with your topic - optimism blossoms when we unlock the spiritual potential hidden in the inert forms.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Ashvin ... Are we seeing the making of some chapters of an incipient book, with this write-up and the eloquent Kant essay? Really appreciating the craftsmanship and the dedication.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Thanks Cleric and Dana, much appreciated!
Soul of Shu wrote:Ashvin ... Are we seeing the making of some chapters of an incipient book, with this write-up and the eloquent Kant essay? Really appreciating the craftsmanship and the dedication.
I honestly had not thought of that idea before... but now I may ponder it more as I continue to write. It would take a lot more time than I seem to have these days; a lot more content and curation of that content. Mostly these essays have served as a way for me to organize my own thoughts on the topics. And of course to share those thoughts in these forums. I'm really glad you like it!
Cleric wrote:I was having the clear experience how this plant form is a living thought, the result of spiritual activity of a being that is trying to preserve the Life principle within the domain of aggressive mineralization, and experiments with aesthetics in the process. And immediately I was uplifted because of how fantastic of a future is possible for us (unless we screw this up badly). All the pain and suffering will be compensated thousand fold. It was worth it that the Spirit descended so deep into the fragments, because now on our way up we have the chance to experience an amazing creative journey. Everything that we see around as Maya (the complicated network of noumenal relations) will be rediscovered from the 'other', the creative side and creative work will continue in full consciousness. This was precisely in sync with your topic - optimism blossoms when we unlock the spiritual potential hidden in the inert forms.
Very nice! I am so eager to approach the experiences of such deeper spiritual relations - it is very enthralling and solemn-serious at the same time, which I think makes a very good recipe for healthy optimism.

"Do you ask what the birds say? The sparrow, the dove,
The linnet, and thrush say, 'I love and I love!'
In the winter they're silent, the wind is so strong;
What it says I don't know, but it sings a loud song.
But green leaves and blossoms, and sunny warm weather,
And singing, and loving, all come back together.
Then the lark is so brimful of gladness and love,
The green fields below him, the blue sky above,
That he sings, and he sings, and forever sings he--
'I love my Love, and my Love loves me!'
"
-Coleridge, Answer to a Child's Question
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Ed Konderla

Post by Ed Konderla »

That was very pleasant. As I read it I felt you were maybe somewhat writing it to yourself. So "self" what was your take away? Having gone to Catholic school for 13 years where religion was taught just like math or history I was struck with how reading your writing reminded me of that time. The experience of the peaks and troughs in the waves as the article flowed. After leaving school and the Catholic and Christian religion (Not because I thought they were wrong but maybe because I felt I had gotten all I could from them) I spent way too much time pondering reality. Then I came across a simple concept developed by the ancients. There are 3 levels of knowledge, the known, the unknown and the unknowable. The old wise ones said "you should never ponder or attempt to understand the unknowable". Well of course the question was, "How in the hell do you know what is unknowable?". When attempting to understand the unknowable you will experience anxiety, frustration, depression and possibly panic. There was no attempt to define unknowable and it allowed for it to be an individual place. Well all of those bad things pretty much described my intellectual and spiritual life at the time. I like simple and this sounded simple. So I started practicing this religiously and I'll be damned if it didn't work for me. Whenever I felt those negative reactions I stopped pursuing it. This took a huge amount of self discipline. The transformation was amazing and I discovered the sublime. Now I live my life almost in a prayer. There is a huge piece of the universe that is walled off to me. I'm thrilled to be in my little yard enjoying the wonder, love, adventure and excitement that reside there. Not saying this is a thing for everybody but for some it might be an option.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Ed Konderla wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:47 pm That was very pleasant. As I read it I felt you were maybe somewhat writing it to yourself. So "self" what was your take away? Having gone to Catholic school for 13 years where religion was taught just like math or history I was struck with how reading your writing reminded me of that time. The experience of the peaks and troughs in the waves as the article flowed. After leaving school and the Catholic and Christian religion (Not because I thought they were wrong but maybe because I felt I had gotten all I could from them) I spent way too much time pondering reality. Then I came across a simple concept developed by the ancients. There are 3 levels of knowledge, the known, the unknown and the unknowable. The old wise ones said "you should never ponder or attempt to understand the unknowable". Well of course the question was, "How in the hell do you know what is unknowable?". When attempting to understand the unknowable you will experience anxiety, frustration, depression and possibly panic. There was no attempt to define unknowable and it allowed for it to be an individual place. Well all of those bad things pretty much described my intellectual and spiritual life at the time. I like simple and this sounded simple. So I started practicing this religiously and I'll be damned if it didn't work for me. Whenever I felt those negative reactions I stopped pursuing it. This took a huge amount of self discipline. The transformation was amazing and I discovered the sublime. Now I live my life almost in a prayer. There is a huge piece of the universe that is walled off to me. I'm thrilled to be in my little yard enjoying the wonder, love, adventure and excitement that reside there. Not saying this is a thing for everybody but for some it might be an option.
Thanks for the comment , Ed.

I cannot comment on your experience, but it sounds similar to mine in certain areas. I pondered the nature of reality for many years, from different perspectives of secular and religious sorts... atheist and naïve materialist, "New Age" spiritual, fundamentalist theist, etc. None of them made a real difference in my outlook or my life. I became increasingly pessimistic and cynical. And naturally that breeds resentment also, towards family, friends, institutions, the "evil" others who make the world such a terrible place, and towards Being itself. I can see how taking a pause, a step back, and finding a certain stillness in ceasing to pursue the "unknowable" would reduce or even eliminate those negative emotions.

That wasn't really my path, though. I did not have much of a pause before finding that I was bumping up against the unknowable because I was asking all the wrong questions. That is my perspective on the Cartesian-Kantian divides as well - they are answers formulated to the fundamentally wrong questions. It's like the materialist who answers, "millions of years from now, the Sun is going to cool down and the Solar System and planet Earth and all its sentient life will disappear... so how can we say any of it has meaning?" But I am not asking about millions of years from now... I am asking about now, on this Earth, in this lifetime. That's where we are all actually looking for the meaning - from within our living ecology.

Once I framed the questions properly, and oriented my attention to the world accordingly, then I became excited about the optimistic possibilities. It is by no means a total escape from negative emotions - those still have their roles to play in my view. Most of all, they point to us when we are veering off the path of proper questions, which we all inevitably do in various ways. There is a certain frustration and ideal discomfort when that starts happening. It's a sign to reorient ourselves. If you reside in a permanent or semi-permanent state of positive emotion, which motivates you towards specific goals, then that may be a good sign. Although I would also be cautious and say the true test comes not when things are in order and going well, but when they take a turn for the worse as they always do.
Ed Konderla

Post by Ed Konderla »

I am by no means an optimist. I'm more of a "sit back and enjoy the ride" kind of guy. It is easy to misunderstand what I wrote without context. I still tackle the unknown with a vengeance. After years of fine tuning my perceptions I can tell the difference, for me, when it is a healthy endeavor or I'm beating my head against the wall. I used to think beating my head against the wall was all there was. That going around in a total funk and believing if there was a God he/she/it was a nasty bastard with a really sick sense of humor. Once I came to terms with my personal limitations I was good to go.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Ed Konderla wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:59 pm I am by no means an optimist. I'm more of a "sit back and enjoy the ride" kind of guy. It is easy to misunderstand what I wrote without context. I still tackle the unknown with a vengeance. After years of fine tuning my perceptions I can tell the difference, for me, when it is a healthy endeavor or I'm beating my head against the wall. I used to think beating my head against the wall was all there was. That going around in a total funk and believing if there was a God he/she/it was a nasty bastard with a really sick sense of humor. Once I came to terms with my personal limitations I was good to go.
That's good. To be clear, my main message with respect to Descartes-Kant and pessimism-nihilism in the posts has been that we need to get past the idea that approaching the "unknowable" is impossible. It is a deeply ingrained mental habit which makes sure we never even try. It sounds like you are past that. I am optimistic because I have faith that if we genuinely seek, we will find.
Ed Konderla

Post by Ed Konderla »

AshvinP wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:49 am
Ed Konderla wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:59 pm I am by no means an optimist. I'm more of a "sit back and enjoy the ride" kind of guy. It is easy to misunderstand what I wrote without context. I still tackle the unknown with a vengeance. After years of fine tuning my perceptions I can tell the difference, for me, when it is a healthy endeavor or I'm beating my head against the wall. I used to think beating my head against the wall was all there was. That going around in a total funk and believing if there was a God he/she/it was a nasty bastard with a really sick sense of humor. Once I came to terms with my personal limitations I was good to go.
That's good. To be clear, my main message with respect to Descartes-Kant and pessimism-nihilism in the posts has been that we need to get past the idea that approaching the "unknowable" is impossible. It is a deeply ingrained mental habit which makes sure we never even try. It sounds like you are past that. I am optimistic because I have faith that if we genuinely seek, we will find.
I apologize. There are so many terms on these pages I am unfamiliar with. That is one thing I am enjoying about being on this blog. Not the terms. Being exposed to a new belief system. I've been envolved in so many systems with their own terminology. That always allows for faster, more efficient communication for people within the group but has the opposite impact on people outside the group. So in my case I am not stupid, just ignorant. Many times I have wished that I could climb inside the mind of a deaf and dumb person and hear what their internal dialogue is like. Or the mind of the poorest of the poor where their only priority is survival. Some on these pages talk about their internal suffering as if they have a right not to have it. Like it's unfair while completely ignoring the plight of most of the people on this planet. And that is not limited to here on this blog. I have always been amazed how myopic human beings can be with all of our intelligence and perception. I have seen many in my life where my worst day is still far better than their best day but I still have the capacity to feel sorry for myself. When mind at large initiated creating separate personalities maybe that was one of the intended consequences.