Is necessitarianism true under idealism?

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
PaulMichael

Is necessitarianism true under idealism?

Post by PaulMichael »

Necessitarianism is a metaphysical principle which essentially claims that everything is metaphysically necessary; there is exactly one way for the world to be. It’s the denial of brute and contingent facts.

It’s stronger than hard determinism in the sense that the determinist would still claim that the ‘causal chain’ as a whole could have been different, even if everything within it could not given their antecedent causes. The necessitarian, on the other hand, claims that there only ever was one outcome for everything, and this outcome itself is necessary.

MAL has a will, but this will (and what it wills) is part of MAL’s intrinsic nature that it cannot change. MAL is metaphysically necessary in the sense that it cannot fail to exist. So it seems as though everything MAL does is metaphysically necessary, given that MAL exists necessarily.

I’m wondering if I’ve missed something or am just flat out wrong about this.
AshvinP

Re: Is necessitarianism true under idealism?

Post by AshvinP »

I am not sure that is a question we can ever answer under any metaphysical worldview. Fortunately, it is also a question whose answer will never be important for any aspect of our lives (which is not say there is anything wrong with asking it out of curiosity).
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
lorenzop

Re: Is necessitarianism true under idealism?

Post by lorenzop »

I'd answer your question, but then I'd have to kill you.