David Berlinski—Atheism and its Scientific Pretensions

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Robert Arvay

David Berlinski—Atheism and its Scientific Pretensions

Post by Robert Arvay »

Ref video at

Here is a wide-ranging discussion in which, oddly enough, a secular polymath, without endorsing religion per se, scoffs at atheistic argumentation masquerading as science. There is a great deal of metaphysical perspective, although not very much of Idealism. Even so, for those who ask such questions as, why is there something instead of nothing, and, is there any physical basis for morality (and many others), Berlinski's subtle humor goes a long way toward making these topics fit for polite discussion between various points of view.

SanteriSatama

Re: David Berlinski—Atheism and its Scientific Pretensions

Post by SanteriSatama »

A genuine intellectual with a very enjoyable nasty strike - most enjoyable, thank you for sharing!

It's not the everyday evil of the mass media, mass politics etc. mass culture of scientism... it's how they constantly insult my intelligence that feeds my rage. :)
Astra052

Re: David Berlinski—Atheism and its Scientific Pretensions

Post by Astra052 »

I don't know if I would consider him secular. He literally works at the Discovery Institute's Center for Science and Culture whose main focus is promoting intelligent design. He also wrote a book that promoted astrology. He's not someone I would use to support the claim of many scientists being naively atheistic when you can find enough quotes from Einstein or others to back that up.