BK calling out Sam Harris on his "sophomoric ignorance"

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

BK calling out Sam Harris on his "sophomoric ignorance"

Post by AshvinP »

I am finding this Twitter storm from BK pretty entertaining, although I highly doubt Harris will accept.

"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
DandelionSoul

Re: BK calling out Sam Harris on his "sophomoric ignorance"

Post by DandelionSoul »

Oh, this is glorious. I sincerely hope there's a dialogue between them. I'll make popcorn.
Starbuck

Post by Starbuck »

Not sure this will happen. Harris would have to cram a lot of philosophy in a short time.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

DandelionSoul wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:59 pm Oh, this is glorious. I sincerely hope there's a dialogue between them. I'll make popcorn.
Well, if that's truly the intention, then I'd be surprised if provoking SH into a dialogue by way of a ridicule-laden twitter take down will accomplish it, as it would seem counterproductive if BK is truly interested in a dialogue, just giving SH a reason to decline by countering with his own 'troll' accusation. But hey, I like being surprised :D
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Starbuck

Post by Starbuck »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:20 am
DandelionSoul wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:59 pm Oh, this is glorious. I sincerely hope there's a dialogue between them. I'll make popcorn.
Well, if that's truly the intention, then I'd be surprised if provoking SH into a dialogue by way of a ridicule-laden twitter take down will accomplish it, as it would seem counterproductive if BK is truly interested in a dialogue, just giving SH a reason to decline by countering with his own 'troll' accusation. But hey, I like being surprised :D
Those were my thoughts. Harris can now always bow out and say "well, he was being a dick".

In todays climate of online goading and mudslinging, there is less need for people to save face and protect their honour. They can plausibly say "well, thats the internet for you!". On the positive, maybe some of Harris's fans will look at things they wouldn't otherwise have done.
Ben Iscatus

Post by Ben Iscatus »

The way I see it is more nuanced: BK does not really expect SH to accept, but a bit of baiting like this will surely help raise the profile of Essentia and analytic idealism.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Ben Iscatus wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:07 pm The way I see it is more nuanced: BK does not really expect SH to accept, but a bit of baiting like this will surely help raise the profile of Essentia and analytic idealism.
Ah ... method to his mockery? SH does tend to draw a lot of clicks through the www viewfinder, which BK photobombs with an Essentia hyperlink :mrgreen:
Ben Iscatus

Post by Ben Iscatus »

Ah ... method to his mockery? SH does tend to draw a lot of clicks through the www viewfinder, which BK photobombs with an Essentia hyperlink :mrgreen:
Yes, that makes sense. SH would probably convert to Mormonism (in handcuffs perhaps) before debating with BK.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

After the anonymous 2016 hit piece denouncing SH as a fraud and a bigot that BK recently reposted on facebook, I'd suggest that BK's issues with him go deeper than just philosophical differences. At this rate the only meeting they'll be having will be via their lawyers ;)
Mark Tetzner

Post by Mark Tetzner »

Dana, how are things. Do you know where the debate between Mrs. Harris and BK can be found?