How to explain synchronicity?

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Brian Wachter

How to explain synchronicity?

Post by Brian Wachter »

Frequent coincidences of the meaningful variety have haunted me for years. But maybe not so much any more thanks to relational quantum mechanics. If interactions are the ontological primitive, rather than objects, my interaction with my surroundings has room for such happenings as, say, a cat food commercial popping up the instant I mention the Schrodinger's Cat thought experiment.

I suppose mind at large has an explanation for synchronicity, as well, but I haven't encountered it in my reading of Kastrup. Do any of you know BK's take? And what's your thinking?
As once the winged energy of delight
carried you over childhood's dark abysses,
now beyond your own life build the great
arch of unimagined bridges...

—Rainer Maria Rilke
Soul_of_Shu

Re: How to explain synchronicity?

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Brian Wachter wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:21 pm Frequent coincidences of the meaningful variety have haunted me for years. But maybe not so much any more thanks to relational quantum mechanics. If interactions are the ontological primitive, rather than objects, my interaction with my surroundings has room for such happenings as, say, a cat food commercial popping up the instant I mention the Schrodinger's Cat thought experiment.

I suppose mind at large has an explanation for synchronicity, as well, but I haven't encountered it in my reading of Kastrup. Do any of you know BK's take? And what's your thinking?
I expect that BK's take on synchronicity would be in line with Jung's. You may have already read it, but in Decoding Jung's Metaphysics, he dedicates Chapter 4 to that topic.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Brian Wachter

Post by Brian Wachter »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:30 pm I expect that BK's take on synchronicity would be in line with Jung's. You may have already read it, but in Decoding Jung's Metaphysics, he dedicates Chapter 4 to that topic.
I have DJM but must admit I find it cringeworthy and haven't read far in it. While I felt liberated by "The Idea of the World"—my inspiration for visiting this board—it is perhaps both my wide familiarity with Jung and BK's effort to formalize Jung philosophically that turned me off to DJM. I was expecting a Jungian primer, not a Jungian lexicon. Perhaps I'll give it another chance, thanks to you.

—Rainer Maria Rilke
DandelionSoul

Post by DandelionSoul »

My sense is that it's basically as you say -- our environment and we ourselves are steeped in an interconnected web of meaning, so unexpected points of contact within that web follow pretty naturally. RQM would not deny the web of meaning, only its grounding in a preexisting, singular, unified Mind.
DandelionSoul

Post by DandelionSoul »

As a followup, from a perspective where there is a singular, unified M@L, Freya Mathews writes in For Love of Matter pretty extensively on the poetic way in which the world-consciousness communicates with individualized consciousnesses -- synchronicity is a part of her whole theory of eros.
Brian Wachter

Post by Brian Wachter »

DandelionSoul wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:44 pm As a followup, from a perspective where there is a singular, unified M@L, Freya Mathews writes in For Love of Matter pretty extensively on the poetic way in which the world-consciousness communicates with individualized consciousnesses -- synchronicity is a part of her whole theory of eros.
That's interesting. I've always had the intuition I was being communicated with through these events. I just couldn't figure out what the world-consciousness was trying to say :|

—Rainer Maria Rilke
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Brian Wachter wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:21 pm Frequent coincidences of the meaningful variety have haunted me for years. But maybe not so much any more thanks to relational quantum mechanics. If interactions are the ontological primitive, rather than objects, my interaction with my surroundings has room for such happenings as, say, a cat food commercial popping up the instant I mention the Schrodinger's Cat thought experiment.

I am not sure why you disliked DJM so much but, as Dana pointed out, you won't get a better analysis of the MAL-idealism connection with Jung's synchronicity concept than what BK wrote there. I thought DJM was very approachable for people well-versed in Jung and those new to him alike. Great footnote quote by the way!
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

DandelionSoul wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:44 pm My sense is that it's basically as you say -- our environment and we ourselves are steeped in an interconnected web of meaning, so unexpected points of contact within that web follow pretty naturally. RQM would not deny the web of meaning, only its grounding in a preexisting, singular, unified Mind.
Yep. Synchronicities can be uncomfortable in many ways when they start bubbling up. Overabundance of meaning can be quite "psychotic". But in time you can get used to them, and find your balance.
Brian Wachter

Post by Brian Wachter »

AshvinP wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:38 am I am not sure why you disliked DJM so much but, as Dana pointed out, you won't get a better analysis of the MAL-idealism connection with Jung's synchronicity concept than what BK wrote there. I thought DJM was very approachable for people well-versed in Jung and those new to him alike. Great footnote quote by the way!
I'm not sure either :) In picking up basically where I left off—right at synchronicity coincidentally—I have a much more favorable impression this time. His exposition of the QM foundations of Jung's theory is detailed and clear.

—Rainer Maria Rilke
Jim Cross

Post by Jim Cross »

Cat food commercials are fairly frequent on television so the odds are good if you mention the Schrodinger's Cat thought experiment a commercial for cat food could follow.

You need to look at the Law of Truly Large Numbers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_tr ... ge_numbers