How to explain synchronicity?

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Lysander

Re: How to explain synchronicity?

Post by Lysander »

Jim Cross wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:16 am Haven't read Ecological Approach to Visual Perception? It does look interesting, but yikes not cheap on Amazon. Published in 1979. I might try to track down a copy anyway.
The Z-Library is a great resource for digital editions of books. The Gibson book is available here.
https://book4you.org/s/Ecological%20App ... Perception
stratos

Post by stratos »

AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Lysander wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:28 am
Jim Cross wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:16 am Haven't read Ecological Approach to Visual Perception? It does look interesting, but yikes not cheap on Amazon. Published in 1979. I might try to track down a copy anyway.
The Z-Library is a great resource for digital editions of books. The Gibson book is available here.
Thanks for posting this resource!
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
pandaproducts

Post by pandaproducts »

Lysander wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:28 am
Dawkins confuses naturalism and the scientific method with the philosophy of physicalism, as per usual.
ParadoxZone

Post by ParadoxZone »

Santeri said it best. Yes, it can be quite "psychotic". Too much meaning, too fast, can be overwhelming. Glad to hear that you've learned to live with it Santeri. (depending on that "energetic" state, and how balanced it is, of course.)

And Ashvin, yes, you said it best too. Indeed, this stuff is going on all the time, regardless of the state.

Being bipolar myself, probably not the same "type" as Santeri, I can indeed confirm just how overwhelming it can be. Travelling to work on the train for work, to a different city, for the day. Going to the bookshop, being in that phase of reading "weird" stuff, buying a book. Getting a call from that woman (who doesn't call you), that woman you've formed an attachment to, who doesn't buy books. And she tells you that she's been to the bookshop at lunchtime and made a purchase. The name of the book? "Synchronicity". The same book you bought at lunchtime in another City.

Ok Jim, you can rationalise this. Maybe there were cues.

Yet, on the same train Journey, you pick up that national newspaper (the three days ago edition, which someone just left there) the one you make a point of not reading, being the paper of record (and clarifications). And you read that very funny column by that guy. That guy, being the very reason you used to buy that other national Sunday newspaper, because that's where the column appeared then. Any you reflect on that other weird experience you had, the last time you travelled for work. Two weeks before, overnighting in that same City, going to the bar, sipping beer and water. Mostly water. And being approached by two young women, who worked for that Sunday newspaper, one being the editor of the arts magazine, the other being .. well, maybe even more consequential synchronicity there, but let's not get too distracted. And artsy lady just shouts and points saying "it's him, that's our guy". So you have a lovely conversation with artsy lady, discussing that guy, and what a pity he left the Sunday paper for the paper of record. And she tells you that they'd have him back.

So two days after the train journey you're in a bar, in your own home City, sipping beer and water again, that witchy bar, because that's where you're safest now, not at home with your family, who are, quite frankly, freaking out. So you look up, across that crowded bar, and who did you see? That guy, seemingly on a theatre tour, which consists of people reading out his column. And you decide to approach him, something you never do, just to tell him to get back to the Sunday paper, and to tell him artsy lady wants him back. And the only thing he shares with you is that he and artsy lady have a birthday in common (I don't care about birthdays, never have done.) Oh what's your birthday, I ask. Turns out to be the same as mine. So what does that mean? Possibly nothing. Yet, I can't tell anybody about this, because then they'll think ... (Narrator: they thought it anyway.)

That really is just a small sample of all the "meaningful coincidences" packed into a couple of days. When the energy is "high", yet even, amazing what you can tell about people, about reality, about most of everything really.

I don't have the language to participate in most of the metaphysical discussions here. This topic though, is in my wheelhouse. Would be good if there were more women participating. We might have more of this sort of thing. (I'm biologically male.) "No mother", indeed.
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

ParadoxZone wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:50 pm Santeri said it best. Yes, it can be quite "psychotic". Too much meaning, too fast, can be overwhelming. Glad to hear that you've learned to live with it Santeri. (depending on that "energetic" state, and how balanced it is, of course.)

And Ashvin, yes, you said it best too. Indeed, this stuff is going on all the time, regardless of the state.

Being bipolar myself, probably not the same "type" as Santeri, I can indeed confirm just how overwhelming it can be. Travelling to work on the train for work, to a different city, for the day. Going to the bookshop, being in that phase of reading "weird" stuff, buying a book. Getting a call from that woman (who doesn't call you), that woman you've formed an attachment to, who doesn't buy books. And she tells you that she's been to the bookshop at lunchtime and made a purchase. The name of the book? "Synchronicity". The same book you bought at lunchtime in another City.

Ok Jim, you can rationalise this. Maybe there were cues.

Yet, on the same train Journey, you pick up that national newspaper (the three days ago edition, which someone just left there) the one you make a point of not reading, being the paper of record (and clarifications). And you read that very funny column by that guy. That guy, being the very reason you used to buy that other national Sunday newspaper, because that's where the column appeared then. Any you reflect on that other weird experience you had, the last time you travelled for work. Two weeks before, overnighting in that same City, going to the bar, sipping beer and water. Mostly water. And being approached by two young women, who worked for that Sunday newspaper, one being the editor of the arts magazine, the other being .. well, maybe even more consequential synchronicity there, but let's not get too distracted. And artsy lady just shouts and points saying "it's him, that's our guy". So you have a lovely conversation with artsy lady, discussing that guy, and what a pity he left the Sunday paper for the paper of record. And she tells you that they'd have him back.

So two days after the train journey you're in a bar, in your own home City, sipping beer and water again, that witchy bar, because that's where you're safest now, not at home with your family, who are, quite frankly, freaking out. So you look up, across that crowded bar, and who did you see? That guy, seemingly on a theatre tour, which consists of people reading out his column. And you decide to approach him, something you never do, just to tell him to get back to the Sunday paper, and to tell him artsy lady wants him back. And the only thing he shares with you is that he and artsy lady have a birthday in common (I don't care about birthdays, never have done.) Oh what's your birthday, I ask. Turns out to be the same as mine. So what does that mean? Possibly nothing. Yet, I can't tell anybody about this, because then they'll think ... (Narrator: they thought it anyway.)

That really is just a small sample of all the "meaningful coincidences" packed into a couple of days. When the energy is "high", yet even, amazing what you can tell about people, about reality, about most of everything really.

I don't have the language to participate in most of the metaphysical discussions here. This topic though, is in my wheelhouse. Would be good if there were more women participating. We might have more of this sort of thing. (I'm biologically male.) "No mother", indeed.

I've been blessed with very good teachers and healers on my path, with little idea why I have received so much attention and care. I wish similar blessings for fellow travelers.

Theatre originates from shamanic ritual drama, where the correct order is to first plunge deep into the trauma and high drama in safe environment, only after that the kathartic soothing vibes. In our daily lives we easily go first for the "high", only to fall much deeper from the high. With long term training (and a little help from friends) the "swing of the gods" as poet Eino Leino called it, can become more balanced and transformed also into other geometries besides repetition of Gaussian curve. "Going towards the fear" is also a good general guideline. Preferably not in foolhardy way, but to meet and conquer our fears to find our courage and some valuable life lessons.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Nice guitar work. Singing wasn't bad either. Thanks.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

SanteriSatama wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:44 pm Nice guitar work. Singing wasn't bad either. Thanks.
Saw KD Lang perform it live, which blew me away ... Crappy video, but this is the only version I could find ...

Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Why and how is that some voices give you the shivers? Dunno, but I'm grateful for those.