Bernado's Mathematical Universe

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Squidgers

Re: Bernado's Mathematical Universe

Post by Squidgers »

SanteriSatama wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:28 pm
Squidgers wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:21 am I get that some people can just accept the notion of an underlying spirit which differentiates itself (which is the same as BKs description for the mechanism of cosmic consciousness disassociating) - but I think the same thing can be said in more specific and nuanced ways.

Why not marry spiritual, experiential and scientific knowledge in the metaphysics?
I like the word "marry", with connotations of "biblical sense of knowing", cosmic love making, deep participation etc. I just learned that word-concept 'cosmos' goes back to Pythagoras, the deep experience of Beauty which is both sensual and rational, the "divine proportions" at the root of theology of mathematics.

Coherence theory of truth and mathematics as general study of relations can help to remarry mathematics with Cosmic participation. For Pythagoras and Neo-Platonists the Cosmic participation was expressed as mythological sense of numerology (see especially Iamblichus: The Theology of Arithmetic) as well as Sacred Geometry. Euclid's Elementa is teleological proof narrative to establish the Cosmic truth and beauty of the five Platonic Solids.

How to (re)marry mathematics, which has been so far mainly static system building, with continuous motion which is prerequisite with our ideal of ethical ans spiritual progress? Greek geometry in the form of drawing instructions with straight edge and compass was continuous motion, but current standard math built around analysis with real numbers has lost touch with cosmic participation, as point reductionism makes motion impossible and numerological sense of number evaporates in the gap of Dedekind cut. The post-modern math of formalism has become deeply nihilistic and alienated, which manifests in our lives mainly as the sadistic tyranny of administrative use of quantitative measuring that denies our humanity and empathy.

Most manifestly and self-evidently continuous motion as well as many our progressive questions of practical ethics occur in the massively parallel computation, which has reached the level of complexity that is not accessible to any single human mind. We don't have any decent foundational theory of pure mathematics available for sense making of the mathematical reality of our everyday lives, to be able to participate meaningfully and refind cosmic meaning and beauty of mathematics coherent with progressive spiritual and practical ethics.

This challenge of cosmic participation is the motivation of my foundational hobby.
Pythagoras was the first "ontological mathematician" when he said "everything is number".

I still think Nevens attempt at recasting numbers as wave frequencies is an elegant attempt at marrying mathematics with spiritual and metaphysical insight, since waves are scale invariant.
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Squidgers wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:42 pm I still think Nevens attempt at recasting numbers as wave frequencies is an elegant attempt at marrying mathematics with spiritual and metaphysical insight, since waves are scale invariant.
There's a relation with Relop approch, as strings of relational operators, e.g.

<>< <> ><>
<<> <> <>>
><> <> <><
<>> <> <<>

can be with good will seen also as wave-like. And those are just four examples of generator seeds which produce Stern-Brocot type structures. On the level of numerical writing all rational numbers in reduced form look the same, but in Relop formalism it's possible to distinguish and study also various types of fractions.
Squidgers

Post by Squidgers »

SanteriSatama wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:53 pm
Squidgers wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:42 pm I still think Nevens attempt at recasting numbers as wave frequencies is an elegant attempt at marrying mathematics with spiritual and metaphysical insight, since waves are scale invariant.
There's a relation with Relop approch, as strings of relational operators, e.g.

<>< <> ><>
<<> <> <>>
><> <> <><
<>> <> <<>

can be with good will seen also as wave-like. And those are just four examples of generator seeds which produce Stern-Brocot type structures. On the level of numerical writing all rational numbers in reduced form look the same, but in Relop formalism it's possible to distinguish and study also various types of fractions.
Can you explain more how your relational operators fit in with a wave ontology?
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Squidgers wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:11 am Can you explain more how your relational operators fit in with a wave ontology?
Waves are continuous processes that go "up" and "down" relative to each other. Wave "tops" and "bottoms" are both more and less than their middle neither more nor less.

From relational more-less foundation, numeric fractional descriptions of wave anatomies at desired resolution can be derived.

Most importantly, waves flow. Waves are continuous motion. The Source is not a static place, like a fountain. The Source is the Flow, which can organize into wave-forms etc. Mathematics is a study of qualia-relations where more-less analysis applies. If you say "/" is one less that "//", and "///" one more than "//", and construct and define natural numbers and what not that way, you already imply more-less relation as foundational. You can't do discrete number theory or anything else mathematical without implicate order of more-less relation. Relop just states the obvious openly.

On the other hand, If you start mathematical ontology from point-reductionist physical fields/spaces/etc., nothing can flow, computation, measuring etc. motion becomes impossible.
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy