Is Rovelli 'Dragooning the Human Spirit'?

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: Is Rovelli 'Dragooning the Human Spirit'?

Post by AshvinP »

SanteriSatama wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:27 pm
AshvinP wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:53 pm So... what specific question do you want to pursue re: evolution of consciousness
The first actually evolutionary question that comes to mind, why are you behaving in a nasty way, with constant hostile interpretation and hurtful intention? Do you consider it possible, or at least worth a try, to became self-aware of what causes such behaviour, and pray tell, self-heal?
When my clients are being dishonest with me, playing word games to avoid answering my questions in a direct way, which are asked for their own benefit, I tend to get more firm and remind them that they could go to prison if they also lie under oath. Trust is very important to any productive dialogue, and I have zero trust that anything you write is written in good faith. In fact, you are the only person here that I think is intentionally playing soul games with other people as unwitting participants for your own personal and egoistic enjoyment. And I am pretty sure it was you who said "Yes, there are many who have treaded the systematic knowledge of Satanism." in your latest round of egoistic sadism.

Clearly nothing good will come from us responding to each other anymore, so I am stopping.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Mod now plunged into this mood ...

Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:23 pm
Eugene I wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:30 pm
AshvinP wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:03 pm These questions are all very abstract modern age questions, and they are trying to "leap in one bound to the eternal" (Bergson). They want to skip over all the details which would actually make possible the answering of the questions. That is why I am asking for a more specified question - think about it like you have been given a grant to explore a specific scientific inquiry in any particular field. What is the research question we should get started on to work our way to some true knowledge of Nature (including spiritual realm)? If we are, in fact, "on the path to and heading towards acquiring deeper knowledge about finer details and underlying structures of the Universe", we must first ask some specified questions before we get those finer detailed answers, right?
Well, the first obvious question for the "true knowledge of Nature" investigation project would be how exactly the observable universe is manifested ( including both natural phenomena and phycological phenomena). A starting assumption could be that there are certain structures "behind" the observable phenomena responsible for the generation and correlating of the observable phenomena. Then based on this assumption we would have further questions:
- How do these structures exactly function?
- How and in which ways are these two types of structures (producing natural phenomena and psychological phenomena) similar and in which ways they are different?
I did not see this post before my last one, so you can ignore that. Although I have to ask, based on your last comment, do you think it is at all possible to objectively answer those questions you asked? If not, then I am not sure why I should bother trying.

So I will begin a discussion on the above questions assuming you are asking in good faith to really explore them in detail.

In my view, the "structures" which give rise to the physical (what you call "natural") and spiritual (what you call "psychological") realms are spiritual beings. We are also spiritual beings. My inner life manifests itself to others with outer appearances of skin, hair, eyes, etc. and various other invisible qualities. The inner life of the higher and lower spiritual beings manifest to us as the physical world and also as various internal physiological and psychological processes. The latter are thoughts (from higher beings) - intellectual, imaginative, inspired, and intuitive thoughts. In our current stage of cosmic development, the thoughts approach us from within and the percepts arriving from other qualities of these spiritual beings approach us from without.

Can we find any common ground in the above and explore further? If not, I am happy to explore whatever your proposed answer is for those questions.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:36 pm
SanteriSatama wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:27 pm
AshvinP wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:53 pm So... what specific question do you want to pursue re: evolution of consciousness
The first actually evolutionary question that comes to mind, why are you behaving in a nasty way, with constant hostile interpretation and hurtful intention? Do you consider it possible, or at least worth a try, to became self-aware of what causes such behaviour, and pray tell, self-heal?
When my clients are being dishonest with me, playing word games to avoid answering my questions in a direct way, which are asked for their own benefit, I tend to get more firm and remind them that they could go to prison if they also lie under oath. Trust is very important to any productive dialogue, and I have zero trust that anything you write is written in good faith. In fact, you are the only person here that I think is intentionally playing soul games with other people as unwitting participants for your own personal and egoistic enjoyment. And I am pretty sure it was you who said "Yes, there are many who have treaded the systematic knowledge of Satanism." in your latest round of egoistic sadism.

Clearly nothing good will come from us responding to each other anymore, so I am stopping.
I have no wish to cause more grief for the mod, so just to clarify and wrap up, I'm not asking or expecting you to trust me, the question was intended for your own self-awareness.
ScottRoberts

Post by ScottRoberts »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:58 pm As it happens, the most recent article from Essentia also wades into the self/no-self/not-self conundrum ...

https://www.essentiafoundation.org/read ... xperience/
Theologian Dr. Asher Walden argues that the self can be accounted for purely as a momentary aggregate of mental factors
What aggregates the mental factors? I would call it the self, irreducible to the factors.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

ScottRoberts wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:11 pm What aggregates the mental factors? I would call it the self, irreducible to the factors.
I seem to have reached this stage ... self? ... no-self? ... meh! ;)
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:49 pm In my view, the "structures" which give rise to the physical (what you call "natural") and spiritual (what you call "psychological") realms are spiritual beings. We are also spiritual beings. My inner life manifests itself to others with outer appearances of skin, hair, eyes, etc. and various other invisible qualities. The inner life of the higher and lower spiritual beings manifest to us as the physical world and also as various internal physiological and psychological processes. The latter are thoughts (from higher beings) - intellectual, imaginative, inspired, and intuitive thoughts. In our current stage of cosmic development, the thoughts approach us from within and the percepts arriving from other qualities of these spiritual beings approach us from without.

Can we find any common ground in the above and explore further? If not, I am happy to explore whatever your proposed answer is for those questions.
Well, that's a good theory to start with to investigate and scrutinize.

First, under idealism, any existing structures can only be "mind structures". Now, it would be natural to assume that spiritual structures are represented by spiritual beings. However, more problematic to me is how to account for the physical-producing mind structures responsible for generating physical phenomena. From the observation of the physical phenomena we know that they are extremely abundant, mathematically patterned and precise and extremely complicated: there are 10^82 atoms in the observable universe, and the behavior of each of them must be generated in those mind structures with at least 10^-8 numerical precision. So, to fit these experimental facts to your model, we would need to assume that there are spiritual beings that dedicate their entire life to "simulating", producing and presenting to us all the natural phenomena thar we observe down to the atomic level at the extremely high level of precision and at a massive scale of abundance. I would rather think that these physical-producing mind-structures are layers of the universal consciousness that are structured as some sort of "consciousness computer" rather than a "spiritual being". Any level of spiritual cognition to produce the apparent world of physical phenomena is not really needed, all that is needed is an extremely high computational capacity.

Now, if we move to the realm of spiritual phenomena, it is quite possible that they indeed originate from the realms of consciousness structured in forms of various spiritual beings, or possibly at lower cognitive levels, as "spiritual modules". There is an interesting branch in psychology called "modular psychology" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modularity_of_mind), which considers the human psyche as a system of lower level cognitive modules that can have their own sense of beingness and their own specific behavioral/cognitive patterns. In extreme cases of conflicting modules this modularity can lead to DID, but typically these modules coexist and more-or-less peacefully compete with each other and integrate into higher-level spiritual structures while retaining their relative level of autonomy. It is the balance between the integration/communication and the autonomy that makes such structures functional, just like the balance between the integration and autonomy of the biological cells in an organism makes the organism functional.

I can foresee your argument: in a biological organism the simple cooperation of cells is not sufficient to account for the functionality of the organism, there must be the DNA code common to all the cells that defines/guides the development of both the cell-level structures and the integrated organism. The DNA code is in a way a "gestalt", a "Logos" of the organism without which it could not function in a coherent way. In case of a community (herd) of organisms there is no such commonly-shared DNA gestalt, yet, the gestalts of the individuals still have a lot in common, and it is that commonality that makes the communication and cooperation between individuals possible. So, the bottom line is: it is a common ideal content that makes any conscious functioning of a community of any beings possible. The question still is: how this ideal content is developed? Where does it come from? Does the temporal evolution of the universe of spiritual beings start from a timelessly pre-existing ideal content and then unfolds according to it (like a metamorphosis of a butterfly unfolds according to the idea/logos/DNA of it)? Or does the ideal content naturally evolves and develops in the very process of the evolution of consciousness? As we know from the history of science/philosophy, the first premise constitutes the Platonic and teleological view, and the latter represents a non-Platonic and naturalistic-evolutionary view, and the debates between them are still on-going.
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Eugene I wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:34 pm
AshvinP wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:49 pm In my view, the "structures" which give rise to the physical (what you call "natural") and spiritual (what you call "psychological") realms are spiritual beings. We are also spiritual beings. My inner life manifests itself to others with outer appearances of skin, hair, eyes, etc. and various other invisible qualities. The inner life of the higher and lower spiritual beings manifest to us as the physical world and also as various internal physiological and psychological processes. The latter are thoughts (from higher beings) - intellectual, imaginative, inspired, and intuitive thoughts. In our current stage of cosmic development, the thoughts approach us from within and the percepts arriving from other qualities of these spiritual beings approach us from without.

Well, that's a good theory to start with to investigate and scrutinize.

First, under idealism, any existing structures can only be "mind structures". Now, it would be natural to assume that spiritual structures are represented by spiritual beings. However, more problematic to me is how to account for the physical-producing mind structures responsible for generating physical phenomena. From the observation of the physical phenomena we know that they are extremely abundant, mathematically patterned and precise and extremely complicated: there are 10^82 atoms in the observable universe, and the behavior of each of them must be generated in those mind structures with at least 10^-8 numerical precision. So, to fit these experimental facts to your model, we would need to assume that there are spiritual beings that dedicate their entire life to "simulating", producing and presenting to us all the natural phenomena thar we observe down to the atomic level at the extremely high level of precision and at a massive scale of abundance. I would rather think that these physical-producing mind-structures are layers of the universal consciousness that are structured as some sort of "consciousness computer" rather than a "spiritual being". Any level of spiritual cognition to produce the apparent world of physical phenomena is not really needed, all that is needed is an extremely high computational capacity.

Yes, in my view, these manifold beings, i.e. they are legion, are all mental structures in essence, just as we ourselves are, and some of them are very highly structured beyond our current capacity to even cognize, and they do devote their entire activity to their various tasks. I need to state a point here that I suspect could become important later - what we observe in "physical phenomena" is a partial image of the Reality which gives rise to them, the very tail end results of those underlying processes, and the underlying Reality may not be similar to the outer quantitative properties we observe at all. So we should not make any assumptions about the details of what is required of the underlying Reality based on physical observation alone. The only way to get that sort of epistemic confidence, in my view, is to actually experience and study the underlying Reality itself via higher cognition. The mathematical precision argument you make above, however, may be an exception to that. I really don't know, but I suspect you are correct. And I do not understand why that cannot be accounted for by the activity of spiritual beings? We should remember there were times in our own human history when people had very specific roles/tasks to occupy and carry out and performed them their entire lives without egoism and envy of others. Obviously that does not seem "fair" to the modern mind, but it is a fact of our existence nonetheless.

Eugene wrote:Now, if we move to the realm of spiritual phenomena, it is quite possible that they indeed originate from the realms of consciousness structured in forms of various spiritual beings, or possibly at lower cognitive levels, as "spiritual modules". There is an interesting branch in psychology called "modular psychology" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modularity_of_mind), which considers the human psyche as a system of lower level cognitive modules that can have their own sense of beingness and their own specific behavioral/cognitive patterns. In extreme cases of conflicting modules this modularity can lead to DID, but typically these modules coexist and more-or-less peacefully compete with each other and integrate into higher-level spiritual structures while retaining their relative level of autonomy. It is the balance between the integration/communication and the autonomy that makes such structures functional, just like the balance between the integration and autonomy of the biological cells in an organism makes the organism functional.

I can foresee your argument: in a biological organism the simple cooperation of cells is not sufficient to account for the functionality of the organism, there must be the DNA code common to all the cells that defines/guides the development of both the cell-level structures and the integrated organism. The DNA code is in a way a "gestalt", a "Logos" of the organism without which it could not function in a coherent way. In case of a community (herd) of organisms there is no such commonly-shared DNA gestalt, yet, the gestalts of the individuals still have a lot in common, and it is that commonality that makes the communication and cooperation between individuals possible. So, the bottom line is: it is a common ideal content that makes any conscious functioning of a community of any beings possible.

I don't really have an argument for or against the details of what you say above - obviously those things are related somehow and, in my view, we are perfectly capable of discovering how via higher cognition. The bolded part, yes, I think it is clear that Thinking activity and ideal content is what allows us to know anything of a community of be-ings and, since knowing is fundamental to be-ing, it does actually make the community of be-ings possible. Any highly detailed connections we try to draw now without higher cognition will simply be abstract speculations, but if we are willing to ask the questions with genuine desire and expectation they will be answered through our own efforts, that is at least half the battle won, probably more. And, in general, we should become accustomed to thinking that everything matters - no matter how small or big, every phenomenon has its place in the bigger meaningful overall picture.

The question still is: how this ideal content is developed, where does it come from? Does the temporal evolution of the universe of spiritual beings starts from a timelessly pre-existing ideal content and then unfolds according to it (like a metamorphosis of a butterfly unfolds according to the idea/logos of it)? Or does the ideal content naturally evolves and develops in the very process of the evolution of consciousness? As we know from the history of science/philosophy, the first premise constitutes the Platonic and teleological view, and the latter represents a non-Platonic and naturalistic-evolutionary view, and the debates between them are still on-going.

Again, most of the specific details of this process must be left to higher cognition or, at the very least, to in-depth study of ancient mysteries . I have some ideas about the questions above, but first I think its best to just point out a very important consideration under this view - we are the spiritual beings. The higher spiritual beings are us at later stages of the metamorphic process, and the lower at earlier stages. None of us came into being or go out of being. We have all had many reincarnations and lived many lives in the past, and we will continue to live many lives in the future. So we are not other than our ancient ancestors or our distant future-selves. I think this foundational truth can be verified to a high degree of confidence even with the intellect and some imagination. So "leaving it to higher cognition" is something we can have the utmost confidence will happen through our own efforts plus time and destiny. A good deal can be known even within this lifetime, but over many more lifetimes it is hard to even imagine how much more resolution will be gained.
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:18 pm The mathematical precision argument you make above, however, may be an exception to that. I really don't know, but I suspect you are correct. And I do not understand why that cannot be accounted for by the activity of spiritual beings? We should remember there were times in our own human history when people had very specific roles/tasks to occupy and carry out and performed them their entire lives without egoism and envy of others. Obviously that does not seem "fair" to the modern mind, but it is a fact of our existence nonetheless.
Correct, those physical-producing structures could be spiritual self-aware beings. I was just saying that IMO it would be odd or rather unlikely. I would rather think they are could be some computational "layers" of the consciousness structure common to our part of the universe, or some "AI" types of structures. The routine and computational work is usually better done by computers or AI rather than self-aware beings. But on the other hand there is still a question of how these structures were formed and where did they originate from?
Again, most of the specific details of this process must be left to higher cognition or, at the very least, to in-depth study of ancient mysteries . I have some ideas about the questions above, but first I think its best to just point out a very important consideration under this view - we are the spiritual beings. The higher spiritual beings are us at later stages of the metamorphic process, and the lower at earlier stages. None of us came into being or go out of being. We have all had many reincarnations and lived many lives in the past, and we will continue to live many lives in the future. So we are not other than our ancient ancestors or our distant future-selves. I think this foundational truth can be verified to a high degree of confidence even with the intellect and some imagination. So "leaving it to higher cognition" is something we can have the utmost confidence will happen through our own efforts plus time and destiny. A good deal can be known even within this lifetime, but over many more lifetimes it is hard to even imagine how much more resolution will be gained.
All you outlined above is quite possible and in general aligns well with my views too.
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Eugene I wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:01 am
AshvinP wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:18 pm The mathematical precision argument you make above, however, may be an exception to that. I really don't know, but I suspect you are correct. And I do not understand why that cannot be accounted for by the activity of spiritual beings? We should remember there were times in our own human history when people had very specific roles/tasks to occupy and carry out and performed them their entire lives without egoism and envy of others. Obviously that does not seem "fair" to the modern mind, but it is a fact of our existence nonetheless.
Correct, those physical-producing structures could be spiritual self-aware beings. I was just saying that IMO it would be odd or rather unlikely. I would rather think they are could be some computational "layers" of the consciousness structure common to our part of the universe, or some "AI" types of structures. The routine and computational work is usually better done by computers or AI rather than self-aware beings. But on the other hand there is still a question of how these structures were formed and where did they originate from?
All you outlined above is quite possible and in general aligns well with my views too.

Well that touches on a key aspect of seeking higher knowledge in my view - the facts cannot be approached with sympathy or antipathy, i.e. with like and dislike. That will eventually skew our results just as it does in exoteric science, and the longer we wait to address this bias the more skewed those results will be. And we really need to internalize that last part about us being the spiritual beings. Our 'subject' must be considered an objective part of the phenomenal world, and our thinking activity which links together percepts and concepts and creates constellations of ideas, like we are doing these very moments when reading and writing these posts, is truly adding something to the phenomenal world that was not there before. We are giving birth to the phenomenal world we perceive constantly and we are the ones lending it ever-more meaning by that thinking activity. I don't know if you have seen the movie Tenet, but it's actually a great narrative example of this overall process - past and future always converging in the present via destiny that makes free will possible. We, as individuals, are all the microcosmic protagonists of the macrocosmic story.

Another point - we should realize it is truly not possible to "leap in one bound to the eternal". Even though I responded to the questions and wrote about the overall metamorphic process, that's pretty much a useless abstract concept until we use it as impetus to start at the ground floor and work our way upwards. Everyone will find a different way of doing that - I don't expect everyone to do it by reading a ton of Steiner, Barfield, etc. and writing essays like I do - but some path of knowledge must be chosen. In general there are two approaches - you are already more familiar than I am of the first one, the mystical approach by way of deep introspection. The second is the deep interest in the outer phenomenal world and a longing to bring together its unities by way of reason, imagination, etc. Ultimately both approaches must be brought together into its own Unity. Concrete steps must be taken for both.