A theory that the universe might be a neural network

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Hedge90

A theory that the universe might be a neural network

Post by Hedge90 »

I don't know if this has already been posted here before, but I've found this article:

https://futurism.com/physicist-entire-u ... al-network

It's very much in alignment with BK's philosphy. Maybe they should have a talk.
Marco Masi

Re: A theory that the universe might be a neural network

Post by Marco Masi »

When you look for analogies you always will find one. When I was kid I was passionate in finding patterns in the clouds resembling animals and people and always found one. But extrapolating from that to reality is not much more than wild speculation.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Marco Masi wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:14 pm When you look for analogies you always will find one. When I was kid I was passionate in finding patterns in the clouds resembling animals and people and always found one. But extrapolating from that to reality is not much more than wild speculation.
It seems that all representations refer back to something with which one is already familiar -- hence, the word "re-cognition."

Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Jim Cross

Post by Jim Cross »

Hedge90 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:15 pm I don't know if this has already been posted here before, but I've found this article:

https://futurism.com/physicist-entire-u ... al-network

It's very much in alignment with BK's philosphy. Maybe they should have a talk.
I did a blog post on this a while ago with a followup.

https://broadspeculations.com/2020/09/1 ... l-network/

https://broadspeculations.com/2020/09/1 ... l-network/
tjssailor

Post by tjssailor »

Where does the universal neural network exist? Within Consciousness.
pandaproducts

Post by pandaproducts »

Marco Masi wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:14 pm When you look for analogies you always will find one. When I was kid I was passionate in finding patterns in the clouds resembling animals and people and always found one. But extrapolating from that to reality is not much more than wild speculation.
You can surely see a difference between spotting patterns as a kid and getting a quantitative analysis of structures that concludes that they are identical mathematically published in a peer-reviewed journal?
Marco Masi

Post by Marco Masi »

pandaproducts wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:11 am You can surely see a difference between spotting patterns as a kid and getting a quantitative analysis of structures that concludes that they are identical mathematically published in a peer-reviewed journal?
True, but a mathematical analysis is far from being a proof that there is any relation. There are a lot of things whose mathematical structure is equivalent but have nothing to do with each other.
pandaproducts

Post by pandaproducts »

Marco Masi wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:51 am
pandaproducts wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:11 am You can surely see a difference between spotting patterns as a kid and getting a quantitative analysis of structures that concludes that they are identical mathematically published in a peer-reviewed journal?
True, but a mathematical analysis is far from being a proof that there is any relation. There are a lot of things whose mathematical structure is equivalent but have nothing to do with each other.
The brain is a highly complicated structure that operates on different structural organisation laws than the universe at large. The brain is under the influence of natural selection and evolution, while the universe has no external environment to defend itself from. It is unjustifiable from a materialist standpoint that the universe looks like a brain, unless you're going to insinuate some highly improbable coincidence.