John Horgan defends not knowing

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Ben Iscatus

Re: John Horgan defends not knowing

Post by Ben Iscatus »

I too enjoyed Justin's paper "Liking What's Good for You". Very nicely done. I'd point out that BK has addressed the argument about our choices forming before we are aware of them - it's just a question of not being metaconscious of all our mental activity (reference to the no-report paradigm, etc).
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Ben Iscatus wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:26 pm I too enjoyed Justin's paper "Liking What's Good for You". Very nicely done. I'd point out that BK has addressed the argument about our choices forming before we are aware of them - it's just a question of not being metaconscious of all our mental activity (reference to the no-report paradigm, etc).

Yup. I take it that Justin writes generally in alignment with Analytic Idealism.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
JustinG

Post by JustinG »

Lou Gold wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:33 pm
Ben Iscatus wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:26 pm I too enjoyed Justin's paper "Liking What's Good for You". Very nicely done. I'd point out that BK has addressed the argument about our choices forming before we are aware of them - it's just a question of not being metaconscious of all our mental activity (reference to the no-report paradigm, etc).

Yup. I take it that Justin writes generally in alignment with Analytic Idealism.
Thank you Lou and Ben. Keep up the good fight ;)

I am taking a little break from the forum now. Best wishes to all, including you Ashvin.

Let us all also not forget to sit back and remember, from time to time, that all of us are all on the same side. Amen.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

JustinG wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:50 pm

I am taking a little break from the forum now. Best wishes to all, including you Ashvin.

Let us all also not forget to sit back and remember, from time to time, that all of us are all on the same side. Amen.

Thanks Justin, you too. Amen!

"For as we have many members in one body, but all the members do not have the same function, so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another." (Saint Paul)
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

AshvinP wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:46 am
JustinG wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:50 pm

Thanks Justin, you too. Amen!

"For as we have many members in one body, but all the members do not have the same function, so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another." (Saint Paul)
Amen and happy trails to you Justin.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love