John Horgan defends not knowing

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Eugene I

Re: John Horgan defends not knowing

Post by Eugene I »

Again, let's apply the VR analogy and go through your arguments
Jim Cross wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:43 pm Nobody is arguing that consciousness is not a representation of external reality. Hoffman's argument is that it is not a veridical representation. My argument is it is not that simple. There are aspects that are veridical and aspects that are not. Especially in the aspects that science is most concerned about - measurement and relationships - it is likely quite veridical; otherwise, as the author argues, we would never be able to launch a rocket and put a rover on Mars. We would never be to adapt to prism glasses that turns everything upside down. That are regularities in the world that we can perceive at some level is a requirement for being able to interact with the world.
The issue is, when we speak about the VR, the terms "veridical" is not directly applicable. In a VR we manipulate abstract objects that behave following certain patterns and regularities according to the underlying algorithms. You can launch a helicopter in the Microsoft flight simulator and control it quite well following the control rules and regularities, however, all you see and do in the VR does not directly represent any base reality on the processor level. Yet there is still functional correspondence between these two layers of reality - the "base" ("processor") and the "screen" (VR), and this correspondence is defined by the algorithm. The regularities we see in the VR (behavior of the helicopter) are not the same as the regularities in the base reality, because the regularities of the base reality are the rules of the bit-level processing in the processor that have nothing to do with the behavior of the helicopter. Yet, the regularities in the VR are defined by and are the consequences of the regularities of the bit-level processing rules and of the algorithm.
Hoffman's network of conscious agents is derived from his PDA loop so we need to ask first if that is a useful way of picturing consciousness.

Well, it turns out it probably isn't.

I made my own arguments against it in my own posts. The problem is that it omits learning and memory from the picture. As I wrote, we are not like a beetle that sees brown and decides to mate. We can provide context to any external world stimuli through memory and learning. Memory and learning occur at the individual level in real time, not the species level in evolutionary time.

A closely related criticism is from this article that I linked in the other thread.

http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/15846/1/article.pdf
Here I examine the game-theoretic version of this skeptical line of argument developed by Donald Hoffman and his colleagues. I show that their argument only works under an extremely impoverished picture of the informational connections that hold between agent and
world. In particular, it only works for cue-driven agents, in Kim Sterelny’s sense. In cases in which the agents’s understanding of what is useful results from combining pieces of information that reach them in different ways, and that complement one another (i.e., that are synergistic), maximizing usefulness involves construing first a picture of agent-independent, objective matters of fact.
The cue-driven agent is like the beetle that sees brown and decides to mate. More complex organisms have a more complex decision making process that takes into account memory and learning, that can test the environment through its own actions and correct perceptions or override them. But what are they testing against? They are testing against agent-independent, objective world that Hoffman tries to replace with his networks of conscious agents that is derived from his PDA loop which is shown to be reflect "an extremely impoverished picture of the informational connections that hold between agent and world."
This is again a misunderstanding. DH's model of CA network is currently very primitive and of course does not include those higher-level learning and memory mechanisms. He is not even trying to explain human consciousness with his current model, this is not his intent. Currently he is trying to create a model of the CA network that would result in a "virtual reality" matching the lowest quantum level regularities of the observable phenomena. In other words, he is trying to show that the laws of physics (QM, SR/GR) can be modeled as a higher-level behavior of the agent's network. There is a long way to go to from that to a model any kind of even primitive beetle-level consciousness.

But the point is, even if he would include learning and memory in his evolutionary simulations, there is no way an observer with primitive conscious capacities (memory and simple learning capabilities) would be able to figure out the regularities of the underlying hidden CA network just by observing the regularities in the sense perception data. There is still an epistemological gap that prevents primitive conscious organisms from veridically accessing the regularities, qualities and quantities of the "base reality". Even the most intelligent monkey would never be able to figure out the Schrodinger equation. The breakthrough into the base reality can only happen when conscious beings achieve the level of cognition that allows them to apply metaphysical and/or mathematical models and understand that the rules of the base reality can be radically different from the rules and regularities of the reality directly perceived by the senses.
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
Jim Cross

Post by Jim Cross »

This is again a misunderstanding. DH's model of CA network is currently very primitive
The criticism you are responding to is a criticism of his simplistic PDA loop that underlies his entire argument, not the CA network.. It's the foundation upon which he builds everything else. His basic model is flawed.

What's more I've yet to understand how replacing the World (W) in his PDA loop with a CA network has any justification or evidentiary support. It is just something he claims to work in his PDA loop which, as explained, is already flawed. Aside from that, there is nothing I can see in his CA network that accounts for the regularity of the world.

I think it hugely ironic that a scientist can claim to use abstract mathematical models, that humans understand only because of evolution, to prove that evolution hides reality from us.
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

Jim Cross wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:02 pm I think it hugely ironic that a scientist can claim to use abstract mathematical models, that humans understand only because of evolution, to prove that evolution hides reality from us.
I don't see any logic in this argument. DH is not denying evolution.

Mathematics on its own will never help us to reveal the nature of reality, because mathematics can only describe what nature does, not what nature is. But when metaphysical assumptions are added to the math models, they can claim (with the support of the math) to explain what nature "is" in addition to what it "does". That is exactly what materialistic science has been doing for centuries. So why would idealistic science not be allowed to participate and have no say in such developments?

Now, forget about idealism for a moment and suppose we stay within the physicalist scientific approach and clam that the base physical reality is the superstrings. Superstrings have they own intrinsic properties - the group symmetries. This is what reality "is" according to the physicalist model - just only superstrings everywhere with various symmetry properties and their regularities. Now, can any conscious beings ever perceive such level of reality "as it is", perceive the superstrings and their symmetries? No way. Our perceptions have nothing to do with what superstrings do on the microscopic level. But still, the regularities of our perceptions are indirectly related to the regularities of the superstrings on the micro-level: they are representations of the macro-level patterns of large groups of superstrings detected by our senses. For example, on the base level of reality there is no such thing as "temperature" at all. Temperature is an abstract property mathematically derived from the micro-level properties - an average kinetic energy of large groups of moving particles. The bio-organisms developed a sensing apparatus that measures the average kinetic energy of large groups of particles, and the outcome of it is sensed as "temperature" because measuring the temperature allowed them to avoid any damage to the body from "hot" objects (objects where the particles on average move too quickly) and therefore have better chances of survival.

But this is exactly what DH is saying. There is no way evolutionary developed organisms could directly perceive the the reality "as it is": the symmetries of superstrings. But even if they somehow could, it would be totally useless and counterproductive for their survival, so the evolution would never reward it anyway. This simple conclusion should be obvious for any natural scientist, DH just demonstrated it with his evolutionary simulations, that's all he did. His "evolution does not support the perception of true reality" argument has nothing to do with idealism.

However, he does not deny that evolution provided us humans with a tool that we can use to "hack" the reality - the highly-developed cognition (including math and abstract thinking). Here we can get around the limitation of our senses (that do not allows us to perceive the reality directly) and to cognate/understand the reality as it is even though we can not perceive it by senses.
Martin_

Post by Martin_ »

Here's a quote:
Science has told us a lot about our minds and bodies, but in the end it’s just giving us more stories that we choose for subjective reasons
(See Q&A section) / John Horgan
"I don't understand." /Unknown
Jim Cross

Post by Jim Cross »

I don't see any logic in this argument
Let me make it simpler.

DH claims evolution has hidden the truth from us.

The title of his book is: The Case Against Reality: Why Evolution Hid the Truth from Our Eyes

If this is correct, how can any conclusions he reaches be true? How can any of our conclusions about reality be true?
Martin_

Post by Martin_ »

I think Eugene explained that pretty succinctly with the post above.

If you're nitpicking about a book title which if interpreted a specific way contains a logical contradiction, then please go away.

Can we talk about something else? Maybe about pragmatism, opportunity cost, and plausibility?

Personally I'm currently convinced of the idealism model. As some one else mentioned earlier; conviciton does a lot to your cognitive framework; rooting those ideas a lot deeper in the hierarchy of concepts which we use to understand the world.

This doesn't mean that i won't switch my default mode of interpreting events around me.
It's just that at the moment, that is the model which yields the best returns.

I just havent' looked for the Truth from this direction in detail before, so, naturally , it's easy to discover new things.

So, in terms of opportunity cost, using the materialistic model is resulting in diminishing returns, while using the idealist model currently fruitful. Once the idealist model has exausted its supply of 'easy pickings' i might look for something else, or not. That ultimately depends on what i'm interested in and what I want to understand better.
"I don't understand." /Unknown
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

Jim Cross wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:46 am Let me make it simpler.

DH claims evolution has hidden the truth from us.

The title of his book is: The Case Against Reality: Why Evolution Hid the Truth from Our Eyes

If this is correct, how can any conclusions he reaches be true? How can any of our conclusions about reality be true?
None of the conclusions anyone reaches in natural sciences and philosophy can ever be proven to be absolutely true. They always remain hypotheses and reality-approximation models. The difference is only which model describes the experimental facts more accurately and with less explanatory gaps and internal contradictions. Any physical theory (QM, GR/SR, superstrings etc) is only a math model of reality. Math models can be proven inaccurate or relatively accurate by comparing their numerical predictions with experimental data. Any metaphysical paradigm (added to math models) always remains only a hypothetical model of reality.

As I said before, evolution provided us with senses that can not reveal to us what reality actually is. However, evolution also provided us with a special tool - cognition - that actually enables us to make inferences and model the reality on the levels hidden from our senses. Cognition, as said above, still can not give us guaranteed true picture of reality as it actually is, but allows us to make (and test against the facts) the hypotheses and models of reality.
Jim Cross

Post by Jim Cross »

However, evolution also provided us with a special tool - cognition - that actually enables us to make inferences and model the reality on the levels hidden from our senses.
I agree but that seems the opposite of what DH is saying. You seem to saying that some degree of veridical cognition is possible.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Eugene I wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:59 pmNone of the conclusions anyone reaches in natural sciences and philosophy can ever be proven to be absolutely true.
Yes, they are all provisional, and as far as I recall DH has often repeated that his model is most likely not true, and welcomes any attempt at some other provisional model to demonstrate how it's not true. If nothing else, this keeps the pay cheques arriving ;)
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Jim Cross wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:31 pm
However, evolution also provided us with a special tool - cognition - that actually enables us to make inferences and model the reality on the levels hidden from our senses.
I agree but that seems the opposite of what DH is saying. You seem to saying that some degree of veridical cognition is possible.

DH has always maintained basic logical reasoning is adaptive and would have been selected for, so there is no internal contradiction there.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"