Can we say Matter Actually Exists Under Idealism?

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Martin_

Re: Can we say Matter Actually Exists Under Idealism?

Post by Martin_ »

Seems to me, that it's around this time in the discussion, that someone shoud come about and kick the water pitcher...
Isan
"I don't understand." /Unknown
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Martin_ wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:13 pm Seems to me, that it's around this time in the discussion, that someone shoud come about and kick the water pitcher...
Isan

Ah yes, the timeless tradition of all wise masters... when something is not understood, throw a fit, break it, and retreat into the mountains for the rest of your life :P
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

AshvinP wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:41 pmI think we should distinguish between "representation" and "matter" here. I am using the latter as a more specified form of representation. My intellectual thoughts about Reality are also representations, but they are not "matter". Also, we should recognize under idealism that all concepts-ideas are relational. What is "matter" today is defined by its current relation to what is "mind" (or any similar terms). That does not mean it's a purely "subjective" definition, rather it is an objective relational definition.
Would 'matter' then not be those phenomenal, representational forms that conform to the rule set of this corporeal construct, e.g. the gravitational rule, or whatever rules that determine that a hand can't pass through a brick wall. Although, due to certain experiences where 'matter' has defied such rules, I'm not quite sure of that either.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:59 am
AshvinP wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:41 pmI think we should distinguish between "representation" and "matter" here. I am using the latter as a more specified form of representation. My intellectual thoughts about Reality are also representations, but they are not "matter". Also, we should recognize under idealism that all concepts-ideas are relational. What is "matter" today is defined by its current relation to what is "mind" (or any similar terms). That does not mean it's a purely "subjective" definition, rather it is an objective relational definition.
Would 'matter' then not be those phenomenal, representational forms that conform to the rule set of this corporeal construct, e.g. the gravitational rule, or whatever rules that determine that a hand can't pass through a brick wall. Although, due to certain experiences where 'matter' has defied such rules, I'm not quite sure of that either.

Exactly, we co-create the phenomenal representations. If one half of the creation is deadened thought, then we have increasingly meaningless representations. Under my view, this is already evident for most of us with the mineral world - even idealists will find it very difficult to believe a dust particle could be linked to any meaningful activity of living beings, or maybe they will call the "living being" responsible for the dust particle "MAL", which, as pure instinctive, non-reflective will, gives only slightly more meaning to the dust particle than "matter".
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"