Biology As The Appearance Of A Dissociative Process

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
hobbs9458

Biology As The Appearance Of A Dissociative Process

Post by hobbs9458 »

Am I correct in thinking Bernardo's philosophy theorizes that biology/life is what a dissociative process looks like from our perspective(from across a dissociative boundary)?

If so, why does having a transcendental experience (I'm thinking of something like samadhi) not affect the appearance of the body from another person's dissociated perspective? I understand we can measure changes in brain activity that correlate with the transcendental experience, and we can say that those physical changes are reflecting the change in experience the person is having. That makes sense to me. But if the whole of our biology is merely the appearance of the dissociated process, why is the rest of the body's appearance not affected by such a drastic change in experience? In certain meditative states or while under the influence of psychedelics we may experience ourselves as one with mind at large, so why does our body (other than the brain) not reflect that experience while it is happening?

Thanks
Soul_of_Shu

Re: Biology As The Appearance Of A Dissociative Process

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

I can only suggest that unless there is only remaining an absolute non-dissociated state, even transcending any sense of a 'self' that is one with a Mind at Large, then there is still some subtle dissociative experience going on. It seems that in a truly absolute non-dissociated state, the body would at the very least appear comatose, and such a state might actually only be the case when the body is actually lifeless. Indeed, there are accounts that this was how Ramana Maharshi was found while utterly absorbed in samadhi for days at a time while in Arunachalesvara, oblivious to the bites of vermin and insects, the body pretty much having to be kept fed by devotees. Had that not happened, who knows what might have become of the corporeal form?
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.