Problems with the body being the external image of experiential states

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
PaulSmid

Re: Problems with the body being the external image of experiential states

Post by PaulSmid »

In most places, BK gives the impression that "meta-cognitive" is an absolute state, as we see clearly reflected in the understanding of people who follow him, and that we can think of MAL, which would be the totality of all relations, meta-cognitive or not, as purely instinctive like an animal. I have no idea how he arrives there from the relational perspective. The 1:1 "alter" correspondence is an even worse concept IMO because associating the image of a being (i.e. all of its outer, normally observable structures and processes) with the totality of its inner life (qualities of experiential meaning) is naïve realism and incorrect from any sound philosophical or scientific perspective. It actually only remains a coherent position under materialism, but of course materialism has a million other fatal flaws, including its irreconcilability with all the conclusions of modern science over the last 100 years or so, and its inability to explain the existence of inner life to begin with.
Could you tell me why this 1:1 relationship is not sound from a scientific and philosophic perspective? I'd be very curious to hear.

And to me it is also a strange idea that mind at large would be instinctive like an animal. Animals have become instinctive due to evolution, where would the instincts of mind at large come from? It never had to evolve to survive etc.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

PaulSmid wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:04 pm
In most places, BK gives the impression that "meta-cognitive" is an absolute state, as we see clearly reflected in the understanding of people who follow him, and that we can think of MAL, which would be the totality of all relations, meta-cognitive or not, as purely instinctive like an animal. I have no idea how he arrives there from the relational perspective. The 1:1 "alter" correspondence is an even worse concept IMO because associating the image of a being (i.e. all of its outer, normally observable structures and processes) with the totality of its inner life (qualities of experiential meaning) is naïve realism and incorrect from any sound philosophical or scientific perspective. It actually only remains a coherent position under materialism, but of course materialism has a million other fatal flaws, including its irreconcilability with all the conclusions of modern science over the last 100 years or so, and its inability to explain the existence of inner life to begin with.
Could you tell me why this 1:1 relationship is not sound from a scientific and philosophic perspective? I'd be very curious to hear.

And to me it is also a strange idea that mind at large would be instinctive like an animal. Animals have become instinctive due to evolution, where would the instincts of mind at large come from? It never had to evolve to survive etc.

Yes, I would say the most significant scientific evidence comes across a wide variety of fields which have concluded, all in their own unique way by different methods, that there are no static 'things' in the world, only a continuously interpenetrating array of processes. We should be able to sense the implication of that conclusion right away - there is no possible way to demarcate where one process ends and another begins, either in space or in time, without doing it in a completely arbitrary manner. A fantastic book was written about this called "Everything Flows: Towards a Processual view of Biology" (not written by idealists, by the way, but scientists of all sorts). I am quoting some of the foreword below (which also refers to Bohm, Bergson, and Whitehead, only a few of a much larger group of 20th century process philosophers who also reached these conclusions):

"There is really no ‘thing’ in the world." —David Bohm (1999: 12)

There is a notable lack of substance, not in the writing you will find in this book, I assure you, but out there in the domain of the living. Let’s face it: there is no thing in biology (or, as Bohm would have it, in the world). Things are abstractions from an ever-changing reality. Reality consists of a hierarchy of intertwined processes. If life is change, then the activities driving this change are what we must explain. Yet we lack concepts and experimental approaches for the study of the dynamic aspects of living systems. This severely limits the range of questions we ask, most of the time even without our realizing. The problem is so obvious it is rarely ever talked about. There are very few explicitly processual theories in biology today. As a practising biologist, I’ve always found this utterly baffling and disappointing. We remain strangely fixated on explanation in terms of static unchanging entities.

The prime example of this substance fixation in biology is our love affair with genes, those particulate agents of heredity and development. It is all too easy for biologists to slip into deterministic and preformationist language, where genes represent some sort of enduring essence of an ephemeral living body. As a result, the mysterious source of gene agency remains unexamined and unexplained. Another example is our insistence that proper ‘mechanistic’ explanations of living organisms must be formulated at the level of component molecules, which we take to be unchanging at the timescales relevant to the processes we study. James Ladyman and Don Ross (2007), in their book Every Thing Must Go, call this the metaphysics of ‘microbangings’, small entities causing their effects by bumping into each other. Ladyman and Ross point out that this view is outdated and inconsistent with the dynamic view of the world given to us by modern physics.

Our fixation on static things leads to fallacious patterns of reasoning, within biology and elsewhere. The French process philosopher Henri Bergson alluded to this in the quote above, while Alfred North Whitehead (1925: 52) put it more explicitly by calling it ‘the fallacy of misplaced concreteness’. This consists in the unwarranted reification of objects, which become fundamental and replace the underlying dynamic reality in our thinking. This fallacy is deeply engrained in our cognitive habits. From a very early stage of development, we learn to distinguish objects, to isolate them from their context. Cognitive linguists George Lakoff and Mark Johnson (1980: 30–2) have suggested that this reflects a tacit commitment to a doctrine of ‘containment’: we treat the world as a container of objects that change properties or location and interact with one another.
To identify an object as a container, we must establish its boundaries as precisely as possible. Where and when does it begin? Where and when does it end? We instinctively crave for clear and rigorous answers to such questions.
However, modern science suggests that reality is simply not like that. The world is full of fuzzy boundaries. Seemingly unchanging entities keep on emerging and decaying if we consider them over a long enough time span. Moreover, it is impossible to say precisely when they truly become what they are and when they cease to be themselves. Or where they begin and where they end. This problem of identification and individuation is beautifully illustrated by the ancient Greek thought experiment about the ship of Theseus. According to the legend, the ship was preserved by the Athenians for centuries upon Theseus’ return from his journeys. In the process, each plank of the hull was replaced when it started to rot, until none of the original planks was left. Just as in our own bodies, the substance that makes up the ship is constantly replaced. Does this mean that the ship changes over time, or does it remain the same? As this conundrum illustrates, we need criteria for recognizing, individuating, and classifying processes. We need more accurate and adequate thinking tools that let go of the abstraction of the object. In short, we need to transcend the limitations of substance-based thinking. This is what the book you have in your hands sets out to do.
Last edited by AshvinP on Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
PaulSmid

Post by PaulSmid »

Could you give an example of why the 1:1 correspondence doesn't make sense scientifically or philosophically?
Also, that mind at large would be instinctive also doesn't ring true to me. Animals are instinctive because evolution programmed their instincts into them. There is nothing putting pressure on Mind at large to be instinctive. Why would it be instinctive in one way, and not in another way? Why would it be instinctive at all? Makes no sense to me.
ScottRoberts

Post by ScottRoberts »

PaulSmid wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:58 pm
At the same time, the idea that legs would then be made out of 'leg thoughts' that mind at large is having, and that we are temporarily using these thoughts, seems much less elegant then the traditional idea of gradually evolving a pair of legs because it's good for survival.
There is no conflict here. Under idealism, evolution is always evolution of ideas. So if one were to observe the gradual evolution of legs in physical reality, one would be observing the external view of the gradually evolving idea of legs.
I think I might just not be able to see how the evolution of the body fits in with Bernardo's Idealism. Because it seems so obvious that the body evolved to help us be effective at surviving in the outside world(whatever that really is). But according to Bernardo there is not even space or time outside the dissociative boundary. We as alters construct space time! So how on earth could you get evolution without space or time? So I don't get how evolution would work at all within Bernardo's theory.
To say space and time don't exist beyond our dissociative boundaries is too drastic. Who is to say that the ideas of space and time didn't also gradually evolve outside our particular boundaries? (Actually, I would say there is always time (awareness of change) of some sort -- just not necessarily time as we experience it.) (Note also that this is all trying to stay within the alter/boundary analogy, which as Ashvin says just seems to create confusion.)
Jim Cross

Post by Jim Cross »

Here is how I would answer the question -- not sure if BK would agree with it. It is that it is not quite accurate to say my legs are the external representation of a portion of my subconscious. Rather, one might say that I, as long as I have legs, have "borrowed", so to speak, various thoughts of collective consciousnesses -- those that think into existence the organic molecules, the cells, the walking function, and so on. When I die, or my legs amputated, those instances of those collective thoughts are returned to the collectivity. While alive, I am to some extent in control of them, afterwards, not.

Of course, it might take pages to get precise about all this, but I doubt that it is worth the effort.
I think this kind of an interesting idea, but I think it's not what Bernardo would say. He pretty explicitly says that the body is image of the subconscious part of the personal psyche. But maybe your idea is actually better than his on this particular issue.

At the same time, the idea that legs would then be made out of 'leg thoughts' that mind at large is having, and that we are temporarily using these thoughts, seems much less elegant then the traditional idea of gradually evolving a pair of legs because it's good for survival.

I think I might just not be able to see how the evolution of the body fits in with Bernardo's Idealism. Because it seems so obvious that the body evolved to help us be effective at surviving in the outside world(whatever that really is). But according to Bernardo there is not even space or time outside the dissociative boundary. We as alters construct space time! So how on earth could you get evolution without space or time? So I don't get how evolution would work at all within Bernardo's theory.
You're right. The whole notion is absurd.

Yes, there is an external world to your consciousness and your body is a part of it. Things happen in that external world that are beyond the control of your consciousness. You can claim the external is matter or mind at large but there is functionally no difference between the two.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Jim Cross wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:23 am
Here is how I would answer the question -- not sure if BK would agree with it. It is that it is not quite accurate to say my legs are the external representation of a portion of my subconscious. Rather, one might say that I, as long as I have legs, have "borrowed", so to speak, various thoughts of collective consciousnesses -- those that think into existence the organic molecules, the cells, the walking function, and so on. When I die, or my legs amputated, those instances of those collective thoughts are returned to the collectivity. While alive, I am to some extent in control of them, afterwards, not.

Of course, it might take pages to get precise about all this, but I doubt that it is worth the effort.
I think this kind of an interesting idea, but I think it's not what Bernardo would say. He pretty explicitly says that the body is image of the subconscious part of the personal psyche. But maybe your idea is actually better than his on this particular issue.

Yes, there is an external world to your consciousness and your body is a part of it. Things happen in that external world that are beyond the control of your consciousness. You can claim the external is matter or mind at large but there is functionally no difference between the two.

That bolded part is just an added and unwarranted assumption. There are many internal physiological and psychological processes which you cannot currently control, yet none of them are external to you for that reason. Many such processes can be raised into conscious awareness - breathing process is a great example which lies on the 'threshold' of unconscious-conscious.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Jim Cross

Post by Jim Cross »

AshvinP wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:01 am

That bolded part is just an added and unwarranted assumption. There are many internal physiological and psychological processes which you cannot currently control, yet none of them are external to you for that reason. Many such processes can be raised into conscious awareness - breathing process is a great example which lies on the 'threshold' of unconscious-conscious.
What can you control about your legs being cut off? Will you still be able to walk with your phantom limbs? That are some processes we can control doesn't mean we can control all of them.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Jim Cross wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:22 am
AshvinP wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:01 am

What can you control about your legs being cut off? Will you still be able to walk with your phantom limbs? That are some processes we can control doesn't mean we can control all of them.

I didn't say we can control them all... yet. We are still in a state of deep unconciousness relative to where we could be. Although, if we think a bit imaginatively, what are increasingly more functional prosthetic limbs? They are nothing other than our own conscious creations. As long as we remain hung up on abstract intellectual view of a world of 'things' out there in the 'external' world we will continue missing the most simple pragmatic truths about our own participatory role in the phenomenal world.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Paul ... You may have already checked out this before, but once upon a story time BK offered this version of the function of the body, which may be of interest still ...

Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
PaulSmid

Post by PaulSmid »

Paul ... You may have already checked out this before, but once upon a story time BK offered this version of the function of the body, which may be of interest still ...
Thank you Soul_of_Shu, I hadn't seen this yet. I really like what Bernardo is saying in this video. It rings true to me.

This idea that the body limits consciousness, and that that allows for MAL to analyse itself sounds very reasonable to me. But that still does not explain why the body needs food. In the theory of Bernardo, it seems like MAL might as well create some kind mental body that feels separated from Mind At Large, but does not need to 'eat' the images of transpersonal mental states of Mind at Large to stay alive.

Especially if the purpose of the alters is to investigate MAL, then why would alters evolve that basically have to spend almost all of their time trying to collect food in order to survive? If you really wanted to investigate yourself, you'd create alters with a lot more free time on their hands.

But that being said, I do feel a bit less like there is a gaping hole after in Bernardo's theory after watching that video. I think there could be a reasonably satisfactory answer to why body's need food in the framework of Bernardo's theory. I just don't know what answer is yet.

I do however just get a bit the sense that consciousness is just playing this game with itself when it incarnates into the 'material' world. That all this happened due to the 'instincts' of mind at large seems just a bit farfetched. I get the sense more that consciousness just dreamt op a crazy material world, with some crazy 'material' rules, just to experience what it is like to experience its material self. But in this case consciousness is actively deciding to do all this. This would make Mind At Large basically an all powerful creator god. I'm comfortable with that idea, but I don't think many other people are.