How the Mind Meets the Body

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Ben Iscatus

Re: How the Mind Meets the Body

Post by Ben Iscatus »

Going back to the original post about mind/body disconnection, I can recommend Thomas Zinser's book "Soul-Centred Healing". This shows in detail how easily the mind compartmentalises itself, and how we get sub-personalities. Having read this, I understood how over-optimistic is the notion that we could ever be in charge or control of our whole minds (of our "subconscious"), particularly after traumatic experiences.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Ben Iscatus wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:03 pm Going back to the original post about mind/body disconnection, I can recommend Thomas Zinser's book "Soul-Centred Healing". This shows in detail how easily the mind compartmentalises itself, and how we get sub-personalities. Having read this, I understood how over-optimistic is the notion that we could ever be in charge or control of our whole minds (of our "subconscious"), particularly after traumatic experiences.

Ben,

Do you hold to Jung's view that the physical sense-world is an external manifestation of the collective subconscious (as BK argues for in DJM)?

If so, and if we are always bringing some portion of it under control by meaningful and thoughtful interaction with it, then what is the principled reason we cannot expand that thoughtful interaction to its further regions? I agree there is no use speculating whether the "whole" subconscious can be brought into conscious awareness, without first figuring out if there is any point trying to being more of it into that awareness for practical benefit to our lives.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Ben Iscatus wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:03 pm Going back to the original post about mind/body disconnection, I can recommend Thomas Zinser's book "Soul-Centred Healing". This shows in detail how easily the mind compartmentalises itself, and how we get sub-personalities. Having read this, I understood how over-optimistic is the notion that we could ever be in charge or control of our whole minds (of our "subconscious"), particularly after traumatic experiences.
The following Vervaeke discussion may also be pertinent here, given how some psychedelics have a profound capacity to reveal the mind (not to suggest that it's the only way), so as to delve into the shadowlands of a traumatized psyche, whereby memories too painful and terrifying to confront, so deeply obfuscated and repressed, as per Jung's so-called 'unconscious', can be uncovered, processed and integrated—and of which I have personal experience due to sexual abuse I had repressed for over 50 years, and which I was unable to access without such entheogenic and deep dreamwork intervention. Only once freed from that burden, was I then also free to proceed with the metamorphic transfiguration.

Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

BTW Ben, after reading the preview of Zinser's book, I've decided to order it, so thanks for the recommendation.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Ben Iscatus

Post by Ben Iscatus »

after reading the preview of Zinser's book, I've decided to order it, so thanks for the recommendation.
It's definitely eye-opening, Dana. It also gives his insights into the Void and the origin of evil.