How the Mind Meets the Body

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Jim Cross

Re: How the Mind Meets the Body

Post by Jim Cross »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:37 pm
AshvinP wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:07 pmThanks, Dana, and I will gladly move up to Canada if you provide me food and shelter :) I am sure I can find some legal work to do there.
As long as you have your vaccine passport ;)

I'm curious about your take/critique on this Jordan Hall assessment ...

I like one of the comments from youtube.
The question is which buffoon will do the least damage?....We have been governed by buffoons since time immemorial.....when will this change?
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Jim Cross wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:08 pm
Soul_of_Shu wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:37 pmI like one of the comments from youtube.
The question is which buffoon will do the least damage?....We have been governed by buffoons since time immemorial.....when will this change?
The notion that this is the best to be expected is quite disheartening, kinda like a choice between Orange Crush or Sprite Zero, as the least unhealthy option, when neither would be the better choice. So what is the alternative, if not what JH is offering?
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Jim Cross

Post by Jim Cross »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:03 pm
Jim Cross wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:08 pm
Soul_of_Shu wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:37 pmI like one of the comments from youtube.

The notion that this is the best to be expected is quite disheartening, kinda like a choice between Orange Crush or Sprite Zero, as the least unhealthy option, when neither would be the better choice. So what is the alternative, if not what JH is offering?
First, I'm not all that familiar with JH. But it seems a little like mixing two different domains.

Everything isn't and shouldn't be politics but politics, at least for the foreseeable future, still has to exist. There still needs to be roads, armies, borders, collective effort on natural disasters, and all sorts of other things. We (unless we prefer autocracies) expect politicians to be law makers and administrators in what government does and pretty much has to do. Government in the big picture does do some things right. As bad as the pandemic has been, how much worse might it have been without vaccines and a hefty outlay of money by the government to prop up the economy?

On the other, there is place for groups and individuals to seek whatever sort of salvation they want to pursue.

Personally, I'm not looking for anyone, any group, or any idea to save me.
Last edited by Jim Cross on Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ParadoxZone

Post by ParadoxZone »

Ashvin,

Don't worry about arbitrarily criticising me, these things are not taken personally here, at least not now.

I've read Cleric's post, quoted above by you, and I find myself nodding at much of it. The rest, I need to work on by re-reading some more of his stuff. I am giving it a chance.

But then you say this -

"Thanks, Dana, and I will gladly move up to Canada if you provide me food and shelter :) I am sure I can find some legal work to do there."

Why should Dana provide you with food and shelter? Practical things do matter to you?

The "social justice" warriors you bemoan are fundamentally asking for the same thing. Food and shelter, mostly. A modicum of respect, thereafter. The rest, as you've probably pointed out, is bandwagoning and politicking. That should be no mystery to anyone. I listen to representatives of these communities and I get the impression that they are as frustrated as you that this bandwagoning is taking place.

There was a thread on the old forum which was allowed to develop (at the instigation of the current mod, if I remember correctly), concerning the "trans issue". I've spoken to some trans people, both before and since that thread, and they are as frustrated as anyone that their "issue" has been bandwagoned by politickers, whether it be a small group of neo-marxists or a crusade of anti-pomo-neo-marxist anti-woke "warriors". Of course trans people should have rights. What's to discuss really? Can we move on now? (Same goes for BLM activists - I don't claim to speak for trans people or BLM supporters, but that's the strong impression I get from carefully listening to grassroots organisers.)

Since I mentioned Trump above (I should have said an actual soul and a little bit of follow-through) and seem to have gotten away with it, let me briefly mention Bernie. At a higher level than those mentioned above, he was one who felt the need to be seen to be catering for the "trans issue". I can hear him in my head now asking "Why are we even talking about this?" But somehow, he Included this in his platform because he was advised he needed to, in order to win. He didn't win, but not because of this. As we'd say around here - sin scéal eile.

And it grates with many people that the issue came to such prominence because of a well-funded initiative around trans issues in the military. But it's eminently possible to see past all of this.

My point is that you seem to have a very jaundiced view of people in the "modern age". My view is that people in the modern age "get it" in a way that's not apparent to you, and can't be apparent from wherever you get your news. One of my most intimate moments with my now ex-wife was in a restaurant many years ago, when we were discussing something-or-other and I remarked that ultimately we were all on our own to figure stuff out. She nodded knowingly. We both knew of which we spoke, although of course we didn't know what the "it" was that we were trying to get. People are like that, in general. It needs a little time to listen closely, that's all. It's just not us post-catholics.

Same goes for the anti-lockdown protesters - we have them here too. If you listen beyond the soundbites, they are yearning for something lost, something to be found. Ostensibly it's about Covid and lockdown (which btw, we don't have), but it's not actually about that at all. It seems to be much, much deeper. And then, naturally, the news cycle takes over and it becomes bandwagoning, attention-seeking and politicking all over again.

So I haven't given up on politics and I wish you wouldn't either - like economics, it's too important to be left to the "experts". I'd still love to read your inaugural address. One of the smartest thing I've read about the politics of climate change solutions was written by a "leftist". Then I read it again and noticed that it could have been written by a libertarian of the anarcho-capitalist variety. You may have an audience that you don't realise even exists. I'd love to hear your take, in that form. I'd also tune in to CNN again, just to see how they were covering you. (My TV provider doesn't show Fox anymore - my best source of news currently is Al Jazeera - go figure.)

(My take on Marx, fwiw, is that he was mostly concerned with relations between people and that that was his motivation for his labour theory of value. But whatever your politics or your philosophy of everything, the man had some prescient points to make. Same goes for the Luddites and so many other groups. In the US, it has crystallised into a pro/anti NAFTA, globalisation discussion. Same issues, different scales.)
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

ParadoxZone wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:11 pmWhy should Dana provide you with food and shelter?
That's just what glorious people of Canuckistan do ... pretty sure Ashvin wasn't being serious though. Anyway, no doubt you want to get back to topics that really interest you, as opposed to all the esoteric stuff, but I'm still not getting why this forum would be the place that attracts you, instead of countless other online opportunities to discuss those topics. Out of curiosity, what's up with that?
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

ParadoxZone wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:11 pm Ashvin,

Don't worry about arbitrarily criticising me, these things are not taken personally here, at least not now.

I've read Cleric's post, quoted above by you, and I find myself nodding at much of it. The rest, I need to work on by re-reading some more of his stuff. I am giving it a chance.

But then you say this -

"Thanks, Dana, and I will gladly move up to Canada if you provide me food and shelter :) I am sure I can find some legal work to do there."

Why should Dana provide you with food and shelter? Practical things do matter to you?

I was definitely just joking about that... I am not actually considering moving up to Canada :) and if I were, I would not expect Dana to adopt me... although let's not foreclose completely on that possibility, depending on how bad things get down here ;)

The "social justice" warriors you bemoan are fundamentally asking for the same thing. Food and shelter, mostly. A modicum of respect, thereafter. The rest, as you've probably pointed out, is bandwagoning and politicking. That should be no mystery to anyone. I listen to representatives of these communities and I get the impression that they are as frustrated as you that this bandwagoning is taking place.

There was a thread on the old forum which was allowed to develop (at the instigation of the current mod, if I remember correctly), concerning the "trans issue". I've spoken to some trans people, both before and since that thread, and they are as frustrated as anyone that their "issue" has been bandwagoned by politickers, whether it be a small group of neo-marxists or a crusade of anti-pomo-neo-marxist anti-woke "warriors". Of course trans people should have rights. What's to discuss really? Can we move on now? (Same goes for BLM activists - I don't claim to speak for trans people or BLM supporters, but that's the strong impression I get from carefully listening to grassroots organisers.)

Since I mentioned Trump above (I should have said an actual soul and a little bit of follow-through) and seem to have gotten away with it, let me briefly mention Bernie. At a higher level than those mentioned above, he was one who felt the need to be seen to be catering for the "trans issue". I can hear him in my head now asking "Why are we even talking about this?" But somehow, he Included this in his platform because he was advised he needed to, in order to win. He didn't win, but not because of this. As we'd say around here - sin scéal eile.

And it grates with many people that the issue came to such prominence because of a well-funded initiative around trans issues in the military. But it's eminently possible to see past all of this.

My point is that you seem to have a very jaundiced view of people in the "modern age". My view is that people in the modern age "get it" in a way that's not apparent to you, and can't be apparent from wherever you get your news. One of my most intimate moments with my now ex-wife was in a restaurant many years ago, when we were discussing something-or-other and I remarked that ultimately we were all on our own to figure stuff out. She nodded knowingly. We both knew of which we spoke, although of course we didn't know what the "it" was that we were trying to get. People are like that, in general. It needs a little time to listen closely, that's all. It's just not us post-catholics.

Same goes for the anti-lockdown protesters - we have them here too. If you listen beyond the soundbites, they are yearning for something lost, something to be found. Ostensibly it's about Covid and lockdown (which btw, we don't have), but it's not actually about that at all. It seems to be much, much deeper. And then, naturally, the news cycle takes over and it becomes bandwagoning, attention-seeking and politicking all over again.

So I haven't given up on politics and I wish you wouldn't either - like economics, it's too important to be left to the "experts". I'd still love to read your inaugural address. One of the smartest thing I've read about the politics of climate change solutions was written by a "leftist". Then I read it again and noticed that it could have been written by a libertarian of the anarcho-capitalist variety. You may have an audience that you don't realise even exists. I'd love to hear your take, in that form. I'd also tune in to CNN again, just to see how they were covering you. (My TV provider doesn't show Fox anymore - my best source of news currently is Al Jazeera - go figure.)

(My take on Marx, fwiw, is that he was mostly concerned with relations between people and that that was his motivation for his labour theory of value. But whatever your politics or your philosophy of everything, the man had some prescient points to make. Same goes for the Luddites and so many other groups. In the US, it has crystallised into a pro/anti NAFTA, globalisation discussion. Same issues, different scales.)

I have no interest in getting into political debates now, for the reasons stated before. I started doing that for a bit during the 2020 elections, and looking back I realize how utterly silly and a waste of time it was.

As I mentioned to Steve on the other thread, my "jaundiced" view of the modern age comes from taking the evolution of consciousness (Spirit) seriously. I am not judging the modern age or anyone who contributed to its flawed understanding of the world - we are all enmeshed within it and must extricate ourselves. But that extrication is definitely possible and I do see a lot of people who are way too comfortable remaining within its abstracted and demythologized, despiritualized confines, while at the same time criticizing it for materialism, environmental disasters, etc. It's a very hypocritical stance, in my view - criticizing those things we don't like about it but still adhering to the fundamental mindset of modernity which made all of those negative things possible, yet which we can now overcome.

re: Marx - I stand by what I said earlier - he "flipped Hegel on his head" and anyone who flips Hegel in such a manner, on his head, on his back, on his side, or any which way in general, is taking away qualitative meaning from the world of ideas much more than they are contributing to it.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

AshvinP wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:05 pmI have no interest in getting into political debates now, for the reasons stated before. I started doing that for a bit during the 2020 elections, and looking back I realize how utterly silly and a waste of time it was.
You are most definitely my candidate of choice now ...

ParadoxZone

Post by ParadoxZone »

Shu,

Sure, I get the "what's up with that" reference, as I got the previous reference when I stretched your patience. Enough said.

What was wrong with my previous post? Did you think, as Ashvin seems to, that it was "about" politics? I thought it was the opposite. My bad. If you thought it was off topic, sure, but I didn't start that. I read this topic because of Lou's OP, on which I had some thoughts. The thread was derailed long before my arrival on the scene of the crime.

My post was about practical v spiritual, and whether they can be divorced. FWIW, my view is to progress the spiritual, one must first stay alive and do so in a way that gives sustenance to spiritual development (or progression, to use Ashvin's terminology). I don't think that's a particularly revolutionary take (or even a contentious one, but on this particular forum, it can be hard for me to tell).

Joking or not - it was Ashvin's response that immediately turned to the practical. I (or you) could well ask, what's up with that?

We (the human race) are often accused of hypocrisy for, seemingly, living in the modern age, taking its benefits for granted, and forgetting about spirituality. (Again, just now, on this thread.) A point I was making, clumsily (maybe?), is that most haven't forgotten at all about spirituality (or whatever term other people might use, in the way they deem appropriate.

There is an irony here - we are criticised for living in this technological age and not being grateful for it, yet we are to eschew and denigrate politics and politicians. Politics and politicians also are responsible for the modern age. I'm grateful for all of it.

I remember Ashvin's foray into politics on these pages. It lasted into early January 2021, if I remember correctly. I didn't contribute then, appreciating the pointlessness at that stage - even though some of the claims made were downright factually incorrect, and demonstrably so.

Bernardo has written an essay on his view of what needs to be done to combat climate change. I thought it was a topic worth consideration here and how a solution might suit those of various political persuasions. I considered that worth mentioning - something "practical", to keep some sustenance going for further evolution in this earthly plane. As my late mum used to say, "the Lord helps those who help themselves".

If you would wish me not to comment, please say so. I feel invested in keeping these pages going. If you would like to be more specific, please do. Or not.

Best wishes.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

ParadoxZone wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:38 pm If you would wish me not to comment, please say so. I feel invested in keeping these pages going. If you would like to be more specific, please do. Or not.
There's nothing 'wrong' with your post, and I recognize that you're trying to make a point about metaphysical and political implications being inextricable, which impacts on our everyday lives. Ashvin gave his take that he feels these socio-political issues are symptomatic of much deeper factors, which if left unaddressed, will leave the socio-political issues to fester away indefinitely, with which I agree. So I think what Ashvin 'should' be offering is precisely what he is offering. I'm just trying to keep the focus on addressing what those deeper factors are, which is the intended primary focus of this forum, and which if we can get at the core of it, then perhaps there can be some truly efficacious way we can start to talk about the socio-political issues that doesn't involve just staying mired in the kind of thinking that is at the root of those issues. So while you're free to keep pointing to symptomatic issues, which we're all no doubt aware of, and which is the main focus of countless other online commentary, I'd be much more interested in what you have to offer in the way of addressing the deeper factors.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

ParadoxZone wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:38 pm Shu,

Sure, I get the "what's up with that" reference, as I got the previous reference when I stretched your patience. Enough said.

What was wrong with my previous post? Did you think, as Ashvin seems to, that it was "about" politics? I thought it was the opposite. My bad. If you thought it was off topic, sure, but I didn't start that. I read this topic because of Lou's OP, on which I had some thoughts. The thread was derailed long before my arrival on the scene of the crime.

My post was about practical v spiritual, and whether they can be divorced. FWIW, my view is to progress the spiritual, one must first stay alive and do so in a way that gives sustenance to spiritual development (or progression, to use Ashvin's terminology). I don't think that's a particularly revolutionary take (or even a contentious one, but on this particular forum, it can be hard for me to tell).

Joking or not - it was Ashvin's response that immediately turned to the practical. I (or you) could well ask, what's up with that?

We (the human race) are often accused of hypocrisy for, seemingly, living in the modern age, taking its benefits for granted, and forgetting about spirituality. (Again, just now, on this thread.) A point I was making, clumsily (maybe?), is that most haven't forgotten at all about spirituality (or whatever term other people might use, in the way they deem appropriate.

There is an irony here - we are criticised for living in this technological age and not being grateful for it, yet we are to eschew and denigrate politics and politicians. Politics and politicians also are responsible for the modern age. I'm grateful for all of it.

I remember Ashvin's foray into politics on these pages. It lasted into early January 2021, if I remember correctly. I didn't contribute then, appreciating the pointlessness at that stage - even though some of the claims made were downright factually incorrect, and demonstrably so.

Bernardo has written an essay on his view of what needs to be done to combat climate change. I thought it was a topic worth consideration here and how a solution might suit those of various political persuasions. I considered that worth mentioning - something "practical", to keep some sustenance going for further evolution in this earthly plane. As my late mum used to say, "the Lord helps those who help themselves".

If you would wish me not to comment, please say so. I feel invested in keeping these pages going. If you would like to be more specific, please do. Or not.

Best wishes.

PZ,

Since you said these things do not effect you personally, I am going to be very direct here and hope that is still true.

Caveat: everything I say below has also applied and, in some cases, does still apply to my own abstract intellect and modern prejudices. I am only able to get clarity on these issues when constantly resisting that left-brain desire to take possession of my entire Mind, and it takes a lot of consistent effort, especially when we are not accustomed to it at first.

That being said, I also think the modern age has developed an extremely unhealthy infantilism, where everyone needs to be given a sweet treat for every vegetable they eat. So I am not going to keep making these caveats in my comments. We need to move from spiritual infancy and adolescence into adulthood. Everyone needs to take responsibility for making their own sustained effort in this direction.

Your post above is a great example of the modern prejudices which are unconsciously held (all the below points are overlapping and interpenetrating).

1) Fragmenting and isolating tendency: you claim the "spiritual" is highest priority for you and deeply woven into the practical, but that does not reflect in any of your assertions here. You are still in that "yet, still... I want to talk about politics and global warming, BLM, etc." mindset. You look at the world and say "here is issue X, here is issue Y, issue Z, and then there is spirituality over there". Eventually you conclude, "if we don't address global warming with great political action, there won't be anyone left to grow spiritually, because we will all be dead". But that makes no sense from a truly spiritual perspective, and I am sure you can imagine why (if not, I can explain).

This fragmenting tendency is also why you don't see the connection between Lou's original post and what I have been discussing with Justin, and what you and I are discussing now. It all centers around elevating the abstract intellect far above the right-brain holistic consciousness, which then ignores the truly spiritual within each individual - our own essential "I" and Thinking activity. That is how people can assert, "the body keeps score, and the mind just obscures the Truth" (person from Lou's post), or "the collective practices are what change the collective representations of the world, and Imagination only gives you personal ecstatic pleasure for a little while" (Justin), or "most people have not at all forgotten about spirituality" (you). Those are all worrying sentiments, but yours probably takes the cake.

I don't even know where to begin addressing that assertion. Maybe with a question - you see no connection between the 20th century totalitarian regimes, the nihilism i.e. "meaning crisis", the environmental disasters, the sociopolitical schisms, etc. and the "death of God" and obvious decline in spirituality since the 19th century?

2) De-spiritualization: If you think the people in the 21st century have not forgotten about spirituality, then clearly your standards for "spirituality" are extremely low. Somehow you felt your previous post was the "opposite of politics" when it was almost 100% about political issues. I suspect these two things are related. Basically your "spirituality" has turned into politics, which is common to a lot of people these days. The modern age convinces us to interpret all spiritual truths in terms of the sense-world, which then leads to things like "liberation theology" or other such de-spiritualized nonsense.

3) Lack of serious effort: PZ said: "I've read Cleric's post, quoted above by you, and I find myself nodding at much of it. The rest, I need to work on by re-reading some more of his stuff. I am giving it a chance."

Honestly, I hope you still do after reading this comment, but if I thought there was any significant chance of that, I would not have posted this comment. Either you did not read it, you did not understand it, and/or you forgot the content you were "nodding" to immediately after reading it. That much is evident from your subsequent posts here. I see this happen often - people ask questions, ask for examples and such, we provide them over and over again, people say "I read all of it and agree" or "yeah that makes a lot of sense" or something similar, and then immediately take up a position diametrically opposed to the content provided. Almost every single post Cleric writes also contains concrete practical advice/exercises to begin on a path towards higher cognition but I doubt any of them are even given a chance.

4) Egoism of abstract intellect: this one may be the most important and pronounced right now. Everyone wants to have an opinion about everything, and they feel irritated and 'marginalized' when another person demonstrates a more considered and/or more wise view of the topic. Again Cleric's posts are revealing here - no reasonable person can question he is operating with a level of insight into these spiritual matters that no one else here has. If they can question that, then they should speak up, because I have not seen a single person offer a substantive critique of his arguments or his method of reasoning through them. Yet they just don't like it, because it threatens the very thing they want to cling onto the most in this world - their own abstract intellect. They want to ask the deepest possible questions and then use the weakest possible organ of perception-thought that they have to go around in circles on those questions, never making any progress, but always having a sense of intellectual importance.

I am sure some if not most people will read that and think it is even more true of me - that I am "projecting" it, because I am writing essays with a bunch of intellectual concepts and telling people they "should" do this or "must" do that. I believe it was you who even said you stopped reading them because of those words. That's fine, because I am confident in the overall purpose of those essays, which is point myself and others away from modern habits of mind - from tyranny of the abstract intellect - and take the most basic steps towards a more holistic understanding of the spiritual activity (Thinking) we are always engaged in. I am under no illusion that people will give them deep consideration here. It's actually my own way of staying disciplined more than anything else, forcing myself to continue asking questions and putting effort into discovering some portion of the answers, perhaps stimulating my Imagination in the process. I know that there are millions of people more knowledgeable and more wise about these matters than myself. And I really hope that, as I encounter more of these wise masters, if I am fortunate enough to do so, my ego will not demand to remain in the driver's seat so as to shut out their Wisdom.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"