Components of Consciousness

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Ben Iscatus

Components of Consciousness

Post by Ben Iscatus »

We who talk about Consciousness don't often seem to analyse the components of conscious activity. Jung had Intuition, Feeling, Sensation and Thinking. Then there are the drivers to conscious activity, or creative urges, such as the Will to Survive (Darwin), the Will to Live or Die - Eros/Thanatos (Freud), the Will to Power (Nietzsche), the Will to Truth, the Will to Beauty (Keats) and the Will to Meaning (Frankl).

I'd be interested to read of any ideas forum members have as to the origin of these various components. Which of them might be an integral part of the transpersonal Mind and which, like metaconscious activity, be purely a product of a dissociated mind?
Eugene I

Re: Components of Consciousness

Post by Eugene I »

Will to Create/Innovate - part of both transpersonal mind and activity of dissociated minds (but apparently not all of them).
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
AshvinP

Re: Components of Consciousness

Post by AshvinP »

Ben Iscatus wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:51 pm We who talk about Consciousness don't often seem to analyse the components of conscious activity. Jung had Intuition, Feeling, Sensation and Thinking. Then there are the drivers to conscious activity, or creative urges, such as the Will to Survive (Darwin), the Will to Live or Die - Eros/Thanatos (Freud), the Will to Power (Nietzsche), the Will to Truth, the Will to Beauty (Keats) and the Will to Meaning (Frankl).

I'd be interested to read of any ideas forum members have as to the origin of these various components. Which of them might be an integral part of the transpersonal Mind and which, like metaconscious activity, be purely a product of a dissociated mind?

The threefold and qualitative essence of Willing-Feeling-Thinking activities, if one desires to pursue these matters further, will be most helpful because they actually reflect the structure of Reality. I don't see any use from distinguishing Willing or Feeling up further, if we are sticking to essential relations, other than to communicate what various philosophers have focused on. For Thinking, we should also distinguish a threefold relation of Imagination, Inspiration, and Intuition. Another extremely important aspect of all these essential threefold activities is their polar quality - they all have two inseparable poles (such as perception-cognition for Thinking). Of course this list is not at all exhaustive - we could go on literally forever listing these out. The important thing is their qualitative numerical nature. The polar qualities give us sevenfold relations from the threefold ones (mirrored across our Central "I"). I think that is what you are referring to as "purely a product of dissociated mind" - there are 'lower' and 'higher' threefold mirrored relations - yet the lower are not essential and are now in the process of being transfigured into the higher ones (all of this should be taken to apply to current human soul).
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"