Number of posts per day limits - a suggestion

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
JustinG

Number of posts per day limits - a suggestion

Post by JustinG »

Hello everyone,

I would like to suggest that a limit is put on the number of posts a user can make here per day.

This might encourage more diversity on the forum, which I think could be improved (for example, there is one user who has made more than twice as many posts as anyone else except for the moderator).

If there are indications of support for this suggestion, perhaps the moderator could then put it to a vote.

Any thoughts?
Soul_of_Shu

Re: Number of posts per day limits - a suggestion

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Justin ... If your motivation behind this suggestion is to lessen the amount of repetitious point-making that does seem to become a bit redundant at times, then I might be receptive, but I doubt that's the case. So while I would prefer to sift through less of the repetitive arguments, short of blatant disregard for house rules, I see no reason to try to stifle any given poster because they happen to be highly inspired by certain ideas, and feel impelled to express them, or revision them, in a very comprehensive and elaborate way, along with having the time to dedicate to that expression—which is not an option for many who have other priorities to attend to. But even if they were to be stifled, I'm not sure how that would encourage diversity. What I would prefer to see is more posters feeling just as inspired in expressing diverse metaphysical ideas, also in a comprehensive and elaborate way, should they have the time to dedicate to that expression. Mind you, we may need an extra mod if that turns out to be the case.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

JustinG wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:49 am Hello everyone,

I would like to suggest that a limit is put on the number of posts a user can make here per day.

This might encourage more diversity on the forum, which I think could be improved (for example, there is one user who has made more than twice as many posts as anyone else except for the moderator).

If there are indications of support for this suggestion, perhaps the moderator could then put it to a vote.

Any thoughts?

Needless to say, I would immediately stop posting if such a resolution were adopted, except maybe essays since I will be writing those regardless. I am trying to shoot off less quick responses to people and make longer, more qualitative responses like Cleric, as I think that is generally more helpful. But these things cannot be coerced out of a population without disastrous unintended consequences, as we see in Western sociey at large right now.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
JustinG

Post by JustinG »

AshvinP wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:44 pm

Any thoughts?

Needless to say, I would immediately stop posting if such a resolution were adopted, except maybe essays since I will be writing those regardless. I am trying to shoot off less quick responses to people and make longer, more qualitative responses like Cleric, as I think that is generally more helpful. But these things cannot be coerced out of a population without disastrous unintended consequences, as we see in Western sociey at large right now.
Please note Ashvin, my suggestion is not motivated by any personal antipathies. I find some of your posts incredibly insightful. But others are no more than pompous bloviation. Your recent diatribe against Adur and 'Eastern mystical types' is a case in point.

Putting you on a diet, so to speak, may help curtail this bloviation.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

JustinG wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:53 pm
AshvinP wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:44 pm

Any thoughts?

Please note Ashvin, my suggestion is not motivated by any personal antipathies. I find some of your posts incredibly insightful. But others are no more than pompous bloviation. Your recent diatribe against Adur and 'Eastern mystical types' is a case in point.

Putting you on a diet, so to speak, may help curtail this bloviation.

Well Adur clearly disagrees, which is why I directed it towards him. And your attempt at "one day, one post" policy is also validation of all that I was saying in that post. The fact you can't admit it is motivated by antipathy for the "ethical individualism" metamorphic view and sympathy for collectivist culture is further validation. Pretending these subconscious forces don't exist or influence us is not going to get us anywhere, we need to confront them honestly.

Of course you could simply prove me wrong by making a logically sound argument connecting metamorphic view to ethnocentric bias. I will make it easy for you:

Premise: Spiritual evolution will eventually lead to complete dissipation of indigenous cultures.

Premises: ?

Evidence: ?

Conclusion: Barfield concluded first premise due to ethnocentric bias.

So far your comments have been jumping directly from first premise to conclusion, which is not a logical argument. So just fill in the blanks this time.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Jim Cross

Post by Jim Cross »

I think I can keep my posts under 50 a day if Ashvin can.
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

I practice periods of abstinence. Highly recommended :)
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Jim Cross wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:26 pm I think I can keep my posts under 50 a day if Ashvin can.
:lol: ... actually, I've done the math, and Ashvin joined the new forum on Jan 14, making the number of days of activity since then 228. So given that his total post count is at 2155, which makes the average less than 10 post per day, it's curious how some would view this as excessive, unless it's really about just not liking his lawyerly persona. ;)
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

IMO, utilizing his attorney skills, Ashvin is doing the best job to make people disagree with him :D
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Eugene I wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:19 pm IMO, utilizing his attorney skills, Ashvin is doing the best job to make people disagree with him :D
It is an intriguing dynamic, since both Ashvin and Cleric are expressing much the same ideas, often referencing each other in support of their views, and yet, while Cleric certainly gets some push back here and there, especially from you, he doesn't seem to attract the same ire that Ashvin has directed his way, so it seems it has to do with more than just the ideas. This is not intended as a knock against Ashvin, as I really don't have a problem with his persona, finding it quite entertaining, just an observation that there are factors playing into this dynamic that warrant a deeper examination.