Any good resources on Western meditation?

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Hedge90

Any good resources on Western meditation?

Post by Hedge90 »

I'm looking for a good, practical guide about Western meditation / contemplation. Personal advice is also appreciated.
AshvinP

Re: Any good resources on Western meditation?

Post by AshvinP »

Hedge90 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:31 pm I'm looking for a good, practical guide about Western meditation / contemplation. Personal advice is also appreciated.

Once you are done with PoF and Theosophy, you may want to look at Knowledge of Higher Worlds and their Attainment.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Hedge90

Post by Hedge90 »

Thanks! I took a cursory look at KoHW last week, reading the part about the "preparatory" exercises where you are to look at your day from a kind of third person perspective, and to appreciate growth and decay in the world. I've been trying this since, and I figured I should read on only after I'm seeing the progress described by Steiner. However, I find the whole thing a bit obscure. I don't really know if I'm doing it right (or going in the right direction), and there are not so many pointers in that chapter to guide you. Should one read the entire book (will these things be explained in more detail), or should I just continue experimenting with what I'm doing?
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Hedge90 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:42 pm Thanks! I took a cursory look at KoHW last week, reading the part about the "preparatory" exercises where you are to look at your day from a kind of third person perspective, and to appreciate growth and decay in the world. I've been trying this since, and I figured I should read on only after I'm seeing the progress described by Steiner. However, I find the whole thing a bit obscure. I don't really know if I'm doing it right (or going in the right direction), and there are not so many pointers in that chapter to guide you. Should one read the entire book (will these things be explained in more detail), or should I just continue experimenting with what I'm doing?

I have some thoughts but it's not really responsible of me to share, since I am also exploring these exercises at the same time. Cleric will be in a much better position to address these questions.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"