Thoughts on U.G. Krishnamurti?

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Papanca

Re: Thoughts on U.G. Krishnamurti?

Post by Papanca »

Hedge90 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:21 pm
Papanca wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:20 pm
Eugene I wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:16 pm
100% agree
On the other hand, if some individual locus of life for some reason makes such communion a sole purpose of its individual life, it is always free to do so and there is nothing wrong with that either.

What if the Life's purpose is not to have a single purpose for Life as a whole, but to have a variety of purposes and experiences of Life through a variety of paths each pursuing its own purpose?
This seems to me not only as more reasonable, but it also makes for better ethics as it strenghtens tolerance and acceptance of others views and ways of being.
It doesn't make for any kind of ethics. It makes for "nothing is true, everything is permitted".
I think there is a confusion here, in the original context i'm talking only about the polarity contemplative/active life.

Not "everything goes", harming actions can still be considered unethical under that paradigm as every living being naturally shuns pain and suffering.
Last edited by Papanca on Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

Papanca wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:20 pm
Eugene I wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:16 pm 100% agree
On the other hand, if some individual locus of life for some reason makes such communion a sole purpose of its individual life, it is always free to do so and there is nothing wrong with that either.

What if the Life's purpose is not to have a single purpose for Life as a whole, but to have a variety of purposes and experiences of Life through a variety of paths each pursuing its own purpose?
This seems to me not only as more reasonable, but it also makes for better ethics as it strenghtens tolerance and acceptance of others views and ways of being.
Exactly
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Eugene I wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:29 pm
Soul_of_Shu wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:52 pm Seems like 'self'-perpetuating dream disorder :mrgreen:
Or why not self-perpetuating dream in-order? :D
How about DUI? ... Divine Under the influence
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

Hedge90 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:21 pm
Papanca wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:20 pm This seems to me not only as more reasonable, but it also makes for better ethics as it strenghtens tolerance and acceptance of others views and ways of being.
It doesn't make for any kind of ethics. It makes for "nothing is true, everything is permitted".
Not necessarily, although one could potentially make such interpretation when this paradigm is taken in a "shallow" way. Here are good ways to look at it in a deeper way:
The Problem of Evil
The Problem of Evil
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:34 pm How about DUI? ... Divine Under the influence
or Divine as an ever-curious explorer-creator-scientist in the limitless Godel's candy shop?
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Could it be that U G stands for Ultimate Grump? ...

Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Eugene I wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:41 pmor Divine as an ever-curious explorer-creator-scientist in the limitless Godel's candy shop?
OK, but it makes for a very long and awkward acronym
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:51 pm
Eugene I wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:41 pmor Divine as an ever-curious explorer-creator-scientist in the limitless Godel's candy shop?
OK, but it makes for a very long and awkward acronym
Ok, we can make it simple: ECCD (ever-curious-and-creative-Divine)
JustinG

Post by JustinG »

I love U.G. !

His name sprang to my mind the other day when I was reading the following passage from this novel: https://www.amazon.com/Maya-Novel-C-W-H ... 1614291985.

The context is an American academic living in India, reflecting on a cheap Indian alarm clock:
…. Every day followed the same schedule, and every day began before dawn with the furious clanging of a cheap Indian wind-up alarm clock I had purchased way back in Agra. It ticked so loudly I hadn’t been able to sleep at night until I grew accustomed to the sound.

In Manali I had met a Canadian from Vancouver, a student of Apo Rinpoche, who told me he went into a six-month solitary retreat with one of these same clocks. He allowed himself only a short period of sleep, the remaining twenty or so hours of each day scheduled tightly with meditation, rituals and prayers. The clock was essential to maintaining his schedule, but within the first week it had began acting up, the alarm going off unpredictably, depriving him of precious sleep and interrupting his strict routine. For six months he worked with the situation, tinkering with the controls, propping the clock in odd positions, or muffling it while he slept, in the hope that it would be less of a jolt when the bell went off. Nothing availed, though, and for the entire six months, he lived at the mercy of those erratic wheels and levers. The day his retreat ended, he calmly placed the infernal device on the ground outside the cabin and pulverized it with blows from a large rock he had carefully selected weeks before and stored in plain view under the altar, just below and image of the Buddha, in anticipation of this great event— the culmination of six months of intense spiritual practice. He assured me that full and complete awakening could provide no greater satisfaction then he felt the moment the clock shattered under his hands.
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

JustinG wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:26 am He assured me that full and complete awakening could provide no greater satisfaction then he felt the moment the clock shattered under his hands.