The hierarchical structure of the universal mind

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Soul_of_Shu

The hierarchical structure of the universal mind

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

News flash from Essentia ... Now apparently we're like 'nuclei' of Mind in The hierarchical structure of the universal mind
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Eugene I

Re: The hierarchical structure of the universal mind

Post by Eugene I »

It's an interesting interpretation of reality but still has a big explanatory gap. A feature of any evolutionary-driven network is a variety of competing structures/relations. Without such variety the evolutionary selection is not possible. We do see this variety on the higher organizational levels. Yet, on the lowest levels we observe amazing consistency and lack of variety - all phenomena on the lowest level follow some very specific and exact patterns and relations (that can be approximated with high quantitative accuracy by equations of the modern physics). There is no evolutional adaptation and variety observed on that lowest level of hierarchy. How can this be explained based on the evolutionary network theory?
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:05 pm News flash from Essentia ... Now apparently we're like 'nuclei' of Mind in The hierarchical structure of the universal mind

It's funny how you can spot a flawed and nihilistic ontology simply by the words used. In this case, infinite "independent nuclei". Suffice to say, Cleric has already shown the fundamental flaws in this purely abstract ontology with his Beyond Flat Mal essay. Here we need to go Beyond Infinitely Fragmented Nuclei aka materialist reductionism.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Hedge90

Post by Hedge90 »

Eugene I wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:29 pm It's an interesting interpretation of reality but still has a big explanatory gap. A feature of any evolutionary-driven network is a variety of competing structures/relations. Without such variety the evolutionary selection is not possible. We do see this variety on the higher organizational levels. Yet, on the lowest levels we observe amazing consistency and lack of variety - all phenomena on the lowest level follow some very specific and exact patterns and relations (that can be approximated with high quantitative accuracy by equations of the modern physics). There is no evolutional adaptation and variety observed on that lowest level of hierarchy. How can this be explained based on the evolutionary network theory?
I haven't yet read the article, but my answer to this is that the higher organism that we will unite into may not have formed yet. Most of the various bacteria and microbae making up the human body had to exist before the first human emerged. Keeping with that analogy, we could be at a stage of this process when there is no human yet, but the components are already forming.
Ben Iscatus

Post by Ben Iscatus »

News flash from Essentia ... Now apparently we're like 'nuclei' of Mind in The hierarchical structure of the universal mind
Thanks, Dana - very interesting article!
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

AshvinP wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:42 pm
Soul_of_Shu wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:05 pm News flash from Essentia ... Now apparently we're like 'nuclei' of Mind in The hierarchical structure of the universal mind

It's funny how you can spot a flawed and nihilistic ontology simply by the words used. In this case, infinite "independent nuclei". Suffice to say, Cleric has already shown the fundamental flaws in this purely abstract ontology with his Beyond Flat Mal essay. Here we need to go Beyond Infinitely Fragmented Nuclei aka materialist reductionism.
Somehow even an 'alter' seemed preferable ;) Nevertheless, the One is not other than the Many, nor the Many other than the One, expressing a seeming infinitude of unique inter-being expressions of the Mind's 'I's/eyes

AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:55 pm
AshvinP wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:42 pm

Somehow even an 'alter' seemed preferable ;) Nevertheless, the One is not other than the Many, nor the Many other than the One, expressing a seeming infinitude of unique inter-being expressions of the Mind's 'I's/eyes

Yes an 'alter' is infinitely more preferable :)

Since the One is not other than the Many, there is only One essential "I" which we all share. I really don't see how to make sense of the polarity in any other way, let alone avoid the nihilism of infinite "I"s who will either merge into undifferentiated, selfless "consciousness" or remain forever tied to some isolated fragment of the World Content.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

Hedge90 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:59 pm I haven't yet read the article, but my answer to this is that the higher organism that we will unite into may not have formed yet. Most of the various bacteria and microbae making up the human body had to exist before the first human emerged. Keeping with that analogy, we could be at a stage of this process when there is no human yet, but the components are already forming.
Well, yes, but that's not my point. Even in the world of bacteria there is a huge variety of forms evolutionary competing with each other. But on the level of most basic physical phenomena there is no variety - all of them follow only a single set of mathematical laws. It seem s that there is no evolutionary mechanism on the micro-physical level (unless we assume the multiverse interpretation)
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
Ben Iscatus

Post by Ben Iscatus »

I'd be glad to be a cog in a good cause, so long as the good cause respects its cogs.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Ben Iscatus wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:30 pm I'd be glad to be a cog in a good cause, so long as the good cause respects its cogs.
If a cog then an aware one that plays its integral role in ideation's metamorphic process, so 'cog'nize accordingly ;)