"Idealism and Consciousness": My Comment/Challenge to BK

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: "Idealism and Consciousness": My Comment/Challenge to BK

Post by AshvinP »

idlecuriosity wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:13 am I do find his distinction between what you yourself are responsible for and what your daemon does to be very meaningful, on the other hand. Mostly because I'm more of a technician than a 'feeling' type when it comes to indulging challenges or making decisions, so being able to exude more of a pull from my actions and outcome in acknowledging the individual ego as distinct from that helps me know what I must do to overcome my idiosyncrasies. It's comforting in a way that things typically won't be if you assume responsibility for the entire body of decisions you've made and given our susceptibility to letting other people's opinions hurt us, that's of profound utility to me and lends more elbow room not only to empathy between people but self improvement too

As far as his reluctance to become spiritual: It may just be that he finds it difficult to measure some of the more spiritual implications of what he's espousing scientifically and wants to expose the more exact overarching details as they're the ones that lend the most to the purveyance of other thought schools. Remember, to those who are entirely materialistic, unless you can literally point to a smoking gun that doesn't have a materialistic explanation which is also sufficed by his pseudo dualist outlook on matter's rules (even if not it's origin) and in the same breath overwhelmingly vindicate the utility of a spiritual understanding, it's also very difficult to convey this to people from other fields even within philosophy let alone scientists or evolutionary psychologists.

The individual ego is certainly distinct from the transpersonal Spirit who in-spires us. The former really does need to die for the latter to be reborn within. But if we are adhering to these conceptions, or any conceptions, because they feel more "comforting", that is not a grest signpost for the direction we are heading. We should keep our sights on high ideals of Goodness, Beauty, and Truth above all else. As St. Paul remarked, "if Christ was not raised then our faith is in vain".

The other problem is that BK'S goal of "convincing materialists" is itself born of keeping Thinking (as essential spiritual activity) in the blind spot. For one who observes Thinking carefully and its progression over last 3000 years, that war of abstract ideas is hardly important now. What is important is guiding ourselves, and others to whatever extent possible, away from abstract thinking to concrete thinking, and that is only done by carefully observing thinking itself. No spiritual reality need be mentioned at first. If a spiritual reality exists, then it will naturally be revealed from concrete Thinking.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
idlecuriosity

Post by idlecuriosity »

AshvinP wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:02 pm

The individual ego is certainly distinct from the transpersonal Spirit who in-spires us.
Thanks a lot for the thoughts. This is unrelated and I plan to take hospice inside of myself for a little trying to work out where I sit prospectively with my burgeoning understanding of things, hopefully culminating in me finally getting to responding to my own thread belatedly, but since I've had trouble working things out in and of myself regarding ego I had a question; the best times I've had in my life and a big source of a line separating two different 'aspects' of me has been an ability to disembody myself from my ego. That is, I do what I thought of calling 'slaying' or culling the daemon and simply don't worry whatever happens; in that frame of mind I tend to be humble, open to reevaluation. Sometimes difficult things in the material world will tempt me into being trapped and coerce a more conflicted demeanour out of me like has been visible on this board but nonetheless if I do, temporarily or otherwise, find my way back to that 'other me' that's completely detached I become a very distinct and individual being that is *exorbitantly* different from my usual self.

This is why I say my 'alters' do not have compartmentalized memories or identities in the same way but I more or less see the two sides of me as like that. People basically don't recognize the me that's attached to it's ego from the none one. What my inquiry, then, concerns is: how normal is this? Is this the same concept that BK mentioned there and that you pointed out and what you've been referring to, or not?

(note: it is no issue if you don't want to respond, I am just finding a lot of the musings here as therapeutic and helpful in my healing process, I think. That isn't contingent on this being answered if it isn't a good query so it is ok either way)
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

idlecuriosity wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:48 pm

The individual ego is certainly distinct from the transpersonal Spirit who in-spires us.
Thanks a lot for the thoughts. This is unrelated and I plan to take hospice inside of myself for a little trying to work out where I sit prospectively with my burgeoning understanding of things, hopefully culminating in me finally getting to responding to my own thread belatedly, but since I've had trouble working things out in and of myself regarding ego I had a question; the best times I've had in my life and a big source of a line separating two different 'aspects' of me has been an ability to disembody myself from my ego. That is, I do what I thought of calling 'slaying' or culling the daemon and simply don't worry whatever happens; in that frame of mind I tend to be humble, open to reevaluation. Sometimes difficult things in the material world will tempt me into being trapped and coerce a more conflicted demeanour out of me like has been visible on this board but nonetheless if I do, temporarily or otherwise, find my way back to that 'other me' that's completely detached I become a very distinct and individual being that is *exorbitantly* different from my usual self.

This is why I say my 'alters' do not have compartmentalized memories or identities in the same way but I more or less see the two sides of me as like that. People basically don't recognize the me that's attached to it's ego from the none one. What my inquiry, then, concerns is: how normal is this? Is this the same concept that BK mentioned there and that you pointed out and what you've been referring to, or not?

(note: it is no issue if you don't want to respond, I am just finding a lot of the musings here as therapeutic and helpful in my healing process, I think. That isn't contingent on this being answered if it isn't a good query so it is ok either way)
IC,

I am not exactly following what you are saying above. In general, I don't think there is any value to viewing ourselves as fragmented beings in any way. We are fragmented beings right now, but I mean there is no value to view that as a necessary or good thing. There was a utility in that historically, as it allowed for a more precise and detailed understanding of those fragments, but all of that utility is for naught if the fragments are not reintegrated with each other into an organic whole. However, if you are speaking more of the inward mystical process of 'ego death' - confronting the negation of your egoic being, so to speak, and overcoming that negation - then that certainly seems like a necessary threshold for all of us to cross in due course, but I myself have not and therefore can only speak of it abstractly.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
idlecuriosity

Post by idlecuriosity »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:18 am
idlecuriosity wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:48 pm

IC,

I am not exactly following what you are saying above. In general, I don't think there is any value to viewing ourselves as fragmented beings in any way. We are fragmented beings right now, but I mean there is no value to view that as a necessary or good thing. There was a utility in that historically, as it allowed for a more precise and detailed understanding of those fragments, but all of that utility is for naught if the fragments are not reintegrated with each other into an organic whole. However, if you are speaking more of the inward mystical process of 'ego death' - confronting the negation of your egoic being, so to speak, and overcoming that negation - then that certainly seems like a necessary threshold for all of us to cross in due course, but I myself have not and therefore can only speak of it abstractly.
How would someone achieve ego death and what would it look like in practice? How would one know if they've gotten there?
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

idlecuriosity wrote: How would someone achieve ego death and what would it look like in practice? How would one know if they've gotten there?
I think it is a mistake to think of it as a one-off event at this stage of our spiritual evolution. For ex, we could say our ego "dies" every night in a way, because it is separated from our physical bodies in a literal way. Of course this will not make sense to anyone who rejects possibility of spiritual reality or differentiation of bodies, souls, and spirit (Ego-"I"). But if one is open to those possibilities, it becomes easier to perceive how this structural dynamic actually makes sense of our daily experience of waking, dreaming, and deep sleep. There is no abstract intellectual reasoning ego as such during our dreaming experience. The full development of imaginative cognition is essentially the making of dream experience fully conscious. So reasoning capacity is retained but it's not abstract. That is a more full expression of intellectual ego death, which I have not experienced, but again I don't think it can be pinpointed to any one event or time. In fact imaginative cognition is thinking activity which transcends experience of linear (abstract) space-time. All of this is really awakening to cognitive activity which is always occurring, and that cannot happen while we prioritize abstract thinking.
mikekatz

Post by mikekatz »

AshvinP wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:37 pm

1 - Why do we find no discussion of this infinitely self-deepening nature of Thinking activity which Steiner discusses below:

The reason why we generally overlook thinking in our consideration of things has already been given. It lies in the fact that our attention is concentrated only on the object we are thinking about, but not at the same time on the thinking itself... The observation of a table, or a tree, occurs in me as soon as these objects appear upon the horizon of my experience. Yet I do not, at the same time, observe my thinking about these things. I observe the table, and I carry out the thinking about the table, but I do not at the same moment observe this. I must first take up a standpoint outside my own activity if, in addition to observing the table, I want also to observe my thinking about the table.

This is apparent even from the way in which we express our thoughts about an object, as distinct from our feelings or acts of will. When I see an object and recognize it as a table, I do not as a rule say, “I am thinking of a table,” but, “this is a table.” On the other hand, I do say, “I am pleased with the table.” This is just the peculiar nature of thinking, that the thinker forgets his thinking while actually engaged in it. What occupies his attention is not his thinking, but the object of his thinking, which he is observing...

The reason why we do not observe the thinking that goes on in our ordinary life is none other than this, that it is due to our own activity... I am, moreover, in the same position when I enter into the exceptional state and reflect on my own thinking. I can never observe my present thinking; I can only subsequently take my experiences of my thinking process as the object of fresh thinking. If I wanted to watch my present thinking, I should have to split myself into two persons, one to think, the other to observe this thinking. But this I cannot do. There are two things which are incompatible with one another: productive activity and the simultaneous contemplation of it.

- Rudolf Steiner, The Philosophy of Freedom (1895)
I don't agree. On the contrary, I find "productive activity and the simultaneous contemplation of it" not only achievable, but in fact necessary, to understand the role of consciousness. It's the basis of Buddhist Mindfulness, Krishnamurti's Choiceless Awareness, Advaita as per Rupert Spira, Ramana Maharshi, and many others, and Gurdjieff and Ouspensky's Self-Remembering.
Mike
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

mikekatz wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:23 pm
AshvinP wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:37 pm

1 - Why do we find no discussion of this infinitely self-deepening nature of Thinking activity which Steiner discusses below:

The reason why we generally overlook thinking in our consideration of things has already been given. It lies in the fact that our attention is concentrated only on the object we are thinking about, but not at the same time on the thinking itself... The observation of a table, or a tree, occurs in me as soon as these objects appear upon the horizon of my experience. Yet I do not, at the same time, observe my thinking about these things. I observe the table, and I carry out the thinking about the table, but I do not at the same moment observe this. I must first take up a standpoint outside my own activity if, in addition to observing the table, I want also to observe my thinking about the table.

This is apparent even from the way in which we express our thoughts about an object, as distinct from our feelings or acts of will. When I see an object and recognize it as a table, I do not as a rule say, “I am thinking of a table,” but, “this is a table.” On the other hand, I do say, “I am pleased with the table.” This is just the peculiar nature of thinking, that the thinker forgets his thinking while actually engaged in it. What occupies his attention is not his thinking, but the object of his thinking, which he is observing...

The reason why we do not observe the thinking that goes on in our ordinary life is none other than this, that it is due to our own activity... I am, moreover, in the same position when I enter into the exceptional state and reflect on my own thinking. I can never observe my present thinking; I can only subsequently take my experiences of my thinking process as the object of fresh thinking. If I wanted to watch my present thinking, I should have to split myself into two persons, one to think, the other to observe this thinking. But this I cannot do. There are two things which are incompatible with one another: productive activity and the simultaneous contemplation of it.

- Rudolf Steiner, The Philosophy of Freedom (1895)
I don't agree. On the contrary, I find "productive activity and the simultaneous contemplation of it" not only achievable, but in fact necessary, to understand the role of consciousness. It's the basis of Buddhist Mindfulness, Krishnamurti's Choiceless Awareness, Advaita as per Rupert Spira, Ramana Maharshi, and many others, and Gurdjieff and Ouspensky's Self-Remembering.

Hey Mike,

First, we should be clear that Steiner is not saying that the simultaneous contemplation is impossible in principle, but rather that it is in our current mode of representational intellectual cognition from where his phenomenology begins. Second, Cleric has written extensively on what you are referring to above, and Steiner in PoF is really pointing to the stages of productive spiritual activity which only begin where the the people you mention above end (I am not so sure about Gurdjieff and Ouspensky, though).

Cleric wrote:Here a question might be raised: "But Eastern practices lead to the pretty much the same results, even thought they don't focus on spiritual activity but on quiet contemplation and dissociation from the soul content. In this way I'm able to recognize these same deterring factors and become liberated from their influences. Now I can easily quiet the mind and desires, and spend long time in perfect stillness". Up to a point this is true. I myself have gone through yogic practices in the past - both physical and spiritual. (As a personal side note, I don't draw only on anthroposphy. Certainly spiritual science is my main path for the development of cognition but for the practical application of the Sun impulse in life, I have other sources too.) As far as it is all about mastering chaotic thoughts and desires, there are lots of different paths that can lead to that result. But it is precisely if we have attained this level of perfection that the mentioned 'postponing' already becomes an important issue.

Let me put this way. The principle that we must exercise our spiritual activity in order to become conscious of the spiritual environment holds true on all levels. I guess this is pretty understandable from the examples of smoking and concentration, even for people with no experience in spiritual practices. The interesting stuff happens once the quietness and serenity of soul is achieved. It is at this point where one becomes, for example, spiritual teacher like, say, Rupert Spira. One has attained to the grounds of Consciousness and he now can give Light to other souls, so that they can also achieve mastery and then peace and immensity.

At this stage it already makes real difference if one will continue to work with focused spiritual activity because in this case we are really on our way to the higher worlds.

It is not true that once we attain to peace, serenity, Love, joy, we have already done our job. Just as with smoking and concentration, if we continue with concentration of the spirit - the Universal Creative - we soon find out that even in these states of quiet and blissful contemplation, seemingly completely free of egoic elements, we're still flowing along certain, admittedly, higher order currents. But they are still currents. And as any other, we need to differentiate from them in order to become conscious of them. In the sea of serenity we no longer have any means to become conscious of these currents because we have cleared out all sources of noise and distractions. We're completely at one with the blissful flow of Consciousness. And this is precisely the issue. Unless we find a form of even higher order spiritual activity, we can never become conscious that this blissful flow is only one of the many more layers of the Worlds within which we are embedded.

When we continue our active concentration, even when in the midst of stillness and serenity, our discoveries continue. Just as our ordinary concentration becomes, in a sense, an organ for perception for all these things that work against our spiritual intent, so through the sustained concentration of our creative spiritual being we begin to feel that even our tendency to free flow in complete bliss on the sea of serenity, is something that drags us along and as such we're not conscious of it. Gradually, this tendency becomes more and more clearly perceptible for us and rises against us as an actual being. This being has been known in all genuine esoteric schools and is commonly called The Guardian at the Threshold. This is no other but our actual self, within which we have been embedded even when in complete serenity and without perceptible traces of egoic structures.

This is probably the greatest insult for a mystic - to dare and state that at the stage that they value the highest, complete mystical union with the flow of Cosmic Consciousness, they don't really overcome the self - it's simply that all traceable perceptions of it have been completely smoothed out and now the reality of the ego has simply spread out and merged quietly and imperceptibly with the Cosmic background, so to speak. If what we speak here is understood, it will be clear that we have absolutely no means to distinguish this completely laminar and blissful ego from the general environment. The only way to distinguish it is if we come to know ourselves as a spiritual being active at an even higher level of consciousness, against which the chameleon ego becomes once again visible as the Guardian at the Threshold.

Honest thinking can already forebode that this is indeed the case. I often ask people (without really getting an answer) - "If you were really One with All within the serene state where the ego dissolves, how come you know nothing about the perspective of the One? How the world was created? The perspectives of other beings?" Somehow this mystical state is still experienced from a very specific perspective within the One. This leaves the mystic with the only conclusion that there are some hard rules that define this perspective while incarnated but they will hopefully dissolve after death. Well, precisely these hard rules are what the true nature of the Earthly self is and what becomes perceptible to us as the Guardian at the Threshold when we deserve to raise in Spirit above this Earthly cocoon. This transition is no other but the crossing the Threshold of Death, yet without leaving the physical body behind.

All the previous work has only been the preparation for the spiritual scientists. It is after we cross the Threshold that the real work begins.
findingblanks

Post by findingblanks »

Hi mikekatz,

Even within mainstream Anthroposophical discourse there is viewpoint diversity on what that passage means. For instance, if you read Khulewind you will get a very different response to those passages from Steiner. The intellectual conclusions obviously aren't as important as simply noticing one's experience and what a given passage seems to be pointing to. And, fortunately, Steiner could not have been more clear that he did not write any sentences in The Philosophy of Freedom needed verification from a transformed cognitive capacity. He believed fully that his peers at the time could and should have intellectually recognized the validity of each point without going through a cognitive initiation. This is one of the reasons I favor Khulewind's interpretation, but, like I said, it is a rich discussion.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

findingblanks wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:52 am Hi mikekatz,

Even within mainstream Anthroposophical discourse there is viewpoint diversity on what that passage means. For instance, if you read Khulewind you will get a very different response to those passages from Steiner. The intellectual conclusions obviously aren't as important as simply noticing one's experience and what a given passage seems to be pointing to. And, fortunately, Steiner could not have been more clear that he did not write any sentences in The Philosophy of Freedom needed verification from a transformed cognitive capacity. He believed fully that his peers at the time could and should have intellectually recognized the validity of each point without going through a cognitive initiation. This is one of the reasons I favor Khulewind's interpretation, but, like I said, it is a rich discussion.

Although I disagree with many of the implications underlying what is written above... all of that was hashed to death on Philosophy Unbound thread, so I will just ask if you can provide the Khulewind interpretation you are referencing? I have not really had occasion to come across the writing of any 'scholars' on Steiner or PoF, so I am pretty excited that there even is one. From a quick search, I actually came across a quote from him that I completely agree with and which also seems in tension with what you write in bold above. To be clear, I am disagreeing with what is written 'between the lines', so to speak, since I am also famaliar with your view from the PU thread. We can certainly test everything written in PoF against our intellectual reason, but we are mistaken if we assume that we have exhausted its meaning with mere intellect. We don't need full-blown imaginative cognition to reach into higher 'layers' of meaning within the text, but just like a good work of art, those deeper layers emerge the more we contemplate with good will, 'soft eyes', and deepened thought.

Khulewind wrote:Thinking must become so strong and independent that it appears to the subject with the same character of reality as does any outward perception. This is achieved through exercises in concentration, as far as is necessary (and for the majority of people today it is necessary). . .
The key to grappling with the thinking issue is to understand the difference between thought (already performed, now existing in the past) and the process of thinking (alive in the moment). “I think, therefore I am” is the lesser ego’s line. However, “I am” is the voice of the source of thinking.
findingblanks

Post by findingblanks »

In Stages of Consciousness (and elsewhere) Khulewind argues that when Steiner first says that we can't observe present thinking he doesn't actually mean it. Khulewind says that Steiner is simply stressing that our typical habits of attention avoid being present to thinking. Khulewind says that in the first half of PoF, Steiner is pointing out the necessary starting point, which, Khulewind says, is noticing that typically all we have is the finished thought. For instance, "I am thinking about a table." Or just: "That's a table." Khulewind believes that Steiner was simply trying to point clearly to the dividing line between grasping a thought directly and grasping thinking as a process directly.

So, whereas some of Steiner students say that in chapter 3 Steiner is pointing to the later experience of thinking itself, Khulewind states that in Chapter 3 Steiner is pointing to a very important observation we can make about our daily mode. I agree with Khulewind on this point.

Regarding the part that you put in bold, I was referring to some of the letters young Steiner wrote shortly after The Philosophy of Freedom was published. In those letters he expressed utter joy when he felt somebody fully grasped his book and he poignantly speaks of his disappointment and surprise when his mentors did not follow his reasoning. He wasn't expecting his mentors to have a transformation of consciousness and then write reviews from that point of view. He simply thought he has explicated his points clearly enough to be understood by the people he wanted to impresses and who he had such respect for. But not just those letters. In lectures he often spoke about his surprise and sadness that people did not understand the points he was making in PoF.