"Idealism and Consciousness": My Comment/Challenge to BK

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: "Idealism and Consciousness": My Comment/Challenge to BK

Post by AshvinP »

findingblanks wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:31 pm "I say you are still not observing your present thinking..."

I think we agree there. Because if you are observing your thoughts, you aren't observing your thinking. That is why I'm curious if the modification I am making works for you without changing your point. But if it doesn't work, that'll help me see your point even more clearly.

Just to clarify, if it is not already clear - I am saying this observation of present thinking cannot be done in principle. It is very important to understand this fact of our immanent experience for a number of reasons, one being that this explains why we keep "thinking in the blind spot" (not our underlying motivation for doing it, but just at a functional level). It explains why so many modern philosophers will make assertions about the "ontological primitive" and completely forget that all of those assertions presuppose their own essential Thinking activity. We literally cannot, in principle, observe our present thinking. However, we can at least observe (with Reason) the truth of that assertion in our concrete experience, and that is a major transformative step for the abstract intellect.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
lorenzop

Post by lorenzop »

AshvinP wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:29 am Generally, I now reject abstract interpretations of facts which ask me to deny my immanent experience of those same facts (as they are perceived by my Reason). The thinking activity which I can never perceive, as infinite and eternal as it undoubtedly is, finds a place of immediate contact with my finite being, however miniscule that point of contact may be, in the intuition of my "I" who thinks the thoughts. To abandon that luminous intuition for the abstract darkness of "the thinker is just another thought" is practically the definition of nihilism.
Materialism is the POV/philosophy that claims we are a seperate self, a parcel or unit consciousness produced by the brain. All of the spiritual traditions, both East and West, claim it's an error to think we are or have a seperate self; and spiritual practices are methods to de-condition us from such thinking and being. These spiritual practices are not based on denial, but more like a swapping out, swapping from a localized identity, to a universal identity.
I see you capitalized 'my Reason' - Reason - perhaps we are suggesting the same - I'm not sure of the difference between 'my reason' and 'my Reason'.
Needless to say, we have to make concessions to have this conversation - perhaps that's why you capitalize Reason - you are rebelling against this concession.
However, we can try this experiment - inspect the mind - do we find 'the thinker', do we find 'my Reason' -- or - - do we find thoughts with 'the thinker' and 'my Reason' as their content? For example, the thoughts "I am the thinker" or "I am inspecting my thoughts" <- these are thoughts, they are not the thinker.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

lorenzop wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:48 pm
AshvinP wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:29 am Generally, I now reject abstract interpretations of facts which ask me to deny my immanent experience of those same facts (as they are perceived by my Reason). The thinking activity which I can never perceive, as infinite and eternal as it undoubtedly is, finds a place of immediate contact with my finite being, however miniscule that point of contact may be, in the intuition of my "I" who thinks the thoughts. To abandon that luminous intuition for the abstract darkness of "the thinker is just another thought" is practically the definition of nihilism.
Materialism is the POV/philosophy that claims we are a seperate self, a parcel or unit consciousness produced by the brain. All of the spiritual traditions, both East and West, claim it's an error to think we are or have a seperate self; and spiritual practices are methods to de-condition us from such thinking and being. These spiritual practices are not based on denial, but more like a swapping out, swapping from a localized identity, to a universal identity.
I see you capitalized 'my Reason' - Reason - perhaps we are suggesting the same - I'm not sure of the difference between 'my reason' and 'my Reason'.
Needless to say, we have to make concessions to have this conversation - perhaps that's why you capitalize Reason - you are rebelling against this concession.
However, we can try this experiment - inspect the mind - do we find 'the thinker', do we find 'my Reason' -- or - - do we find thoughts with 'the thinker' and 'my Reason' as their content? For example, the thoughts "I am the thinker" or "I am inspecting my thoughts" <- these are thoughts, they are not the thinker.

Yes, I capitalize because I hold Reason (and Thinking more broadly) to be transpersonal, shared activity. There is no essentially separate self. My thoughts about this essential Thinking activity cannot be equated to the activity itself, but they are also contiguous with that activity - my intuition connects to a real "I" (essential Thinking) who observes the thoughts.

Steiner wrote:In thinking, we have that element given us which welds our separate individuality into one whole with the cosmos. In so far as we sense and feel (and also perceive), we are single beings; in so far as we think, we are the all-one being that pervades everything. This is the deeper meaning of our two-sided nature: We see coming into being in us a force complete and absolute in itself, a force which is universal but which we learn to know, not as it issues from the center of the world, but rather at a point in the periphery. Were we to know it at its source, we should understand the whole riddle of the universe the moment we became conscious. But since we stand at a point in the periphery, and find that our own existence is bounded by definite limits, we must explore the region which lies outside our own being with the help of thinking, which projects into us from the universal world existence.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
findingblanks

Post by findingblanks »

I’ll be staying mainly within your terms as I ask clarifying question so that I can better know when I am with your way of expressing this issue.

“thinking activity is not identical with thoughts, but that our activity can become a thought-form once we begin observing it.”

And when thinking activity becomes a thought-form, do we agree that nothing ensures that there is a one-to-one correspondence between them? I mean that the unobserved thinking might have contained elements that the finished thought-form does not or vice versa? And I assume we agree that the observation/thought-form is taking place within the context of unobserved thinking activity?
findingblanks

Post by findingblanks »

“The thinking activity which I can never perceive, as infinite and eternal as it undoubtedly is, finds a place of immediate contact with my finite being, however miniscule that point of contact may be, in the intuition of my "I" who thinks the thoughts.”

Can you take a moment to clarify for me what causes the certainty of thinking being ‘infinite’ and ‘eternal’ if not directly perceived? Isn’t the ‘immediate contact’ directly perceived? Or, it might be that you are saying the intuition (which is direct) that comes from this ‘point of contact’ is still not the thinking activity itself?
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

findingblanks wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:26 pm “The thinking activity which I can never perceive, as infinite and eternal as it undoubtedly is, finds a place of immediate contact with my finite being, however miniscule that point of contact may be, in the intuition of my "I" who thinks the thoughts.”

Can you take a moment to clarify for me what causes the certainty of thinking being ‘infinite’ and ‘eternal’ if not directly perceived? Isn’t the ‘immediate contact’ directly perceived? Or, it might be that you are saying the intuition (which is direct) that comes from this ‘point of contact’ is still not the thinking activity itself?

FB,

I am comfortable saying the phenomenology itself does not indicate whether it is truly "infinite and eternal", but that can be confirmed much further down our spiritual path. I think it can also be confirmed with high degree of confidence via intellectual reasoning - everything from ancient mythology and spirituality to modern mathematics points in this direction. The fact that I can never observe my present thinking, i.e. that there is an 'infinite regression' of fresh thinking activity whenever I try to observe my thinking, also strongly points in this direction. For those reasons and others, I have an informed faith that this intuitive 'point of contact' within me is of the same eternal spiritual essence as the "I AM" of the OT and NT. I also cannot really imagine where a careful phenomenology of my experience, as it grows more expansive, would lead to the complete cessation of Spirit-Soul, without me first adding on unwarranted assumptions. So, in that sense, whatever cannot cease completely must be infinite and eternal.
findingblanks

Post by findingblanks »

“Just to clarify, if it is not already clear - I am saying this observation of present thinking cannot be done in principle.”

Yes, when we define things in this manner, I fully agree that the prior activity can never - even in principle - be the object of observation or thought form.

And I finally have my Khulewind back so I’ll share his comments on this topic. I share them not to set up an either/or approach to the question, but just to show that there are other ways of carving into the issue, each highlighting slightly different aspects. If somebody prefers one modality of expression this need not mean they are simply disagreeing or claiming the other is completely wrong or misunderstanding the other.

To be clear, I personally prefer the way Khulewind reads the distinctions in this case. It captures more of my experience and it captures more of the connections I see in the text (PoF) itself. However, I also don’t fully agree with everything he says. I quote him (and Steiner) here because, well, you asked and now I have the digital copy in hand. Also, I think he states this clearly and deserves credit because he certainly wrote this before I had heard of Steiner.

The first quotation begins with Steiner:

“The difficulty of grasping the essential nature of thinking by observation lies in this, that it has all too easily eluded the introspecting soul by the time the soul tries to bring it into the focus of attention. Nothing then remains to be inspected but the lifeless abstraction, the corpse of living thinking.”

Khulewind points out that here, at this point in the later chapters, Steiner uses the word ‘difficulty,’ rather than impossibility.

“Note that mention is again made of the difficulties in experiencing thinking in the present, but it is not set aside as impossible, as in the quotation from the third chapter.”

Steiner clearly recognized that thinking is what makes possible the observation of the thought-corpse or lifeless abstraction.

In your examples and comments to me you also are very clear about the observation we can make being that of the finished abstraction.

Steiner says:

“If we only look at this abstraction, we may easily find ourselves compelled to enter into the mysticism of feeling or perhaps metaphysics of will, which, by contrast, appear so ‘full of life.’ We should then find it strange that anyone should expect to grasp the essence of reality in
mere thoughts.’”

Steiner is aware that strong feelings and strong impulses of will will capture our priorities if we only have lifeless abstractions to compare them to. And Steiner even can sympathize with the person who is making such a comparison and the way they would call it ‘mere thoughts’. But he goes on:

“But if we once succeed in finding life in thinking, we shall know that swimming in mere feelings, or being intuitively aware of the will element, cannot even be compared with the inner wealth and self-contained yet ever active experience of this life of thinking, let alone ranked above it. . .”

The ‘experience’ Steiner mentions here is a present experience of nothing other than thinking as the self-sustaining activity that it (and only it) is. I know some Anthroposophists that take Steiner's use of 'finding' to indicate an abstract intellectual process of inference, but to me it is very clear that this 'finding' is a direct grasping and cognizing rather than an intellectual inference or speculation.

And then Steiner presents us with this notion of how we can ‘turn’ towards and away from this living present thinking. Obviously ‘turn’ is a metaphor but I am very glad he uses it. Khulewind’s comments are in the brackets.

“If we turn towards thinking in its essence [i.e., the living, not the past thinking], we find in it both feeling and will, and these in the depths of their reality [feeling that perceives, will that perceives]; if we turn away from thinking towards “mere” feeling and will, we lose from these their true reality. If we are ready to experience thinking intuitively, we can also do justice to the experience of feeling and will. . .”

Okay and then Khulewind goes on to say:

“The attentive reader will realize that these sentences do not deal with the observation of past thinking (thoughts), but rather speak of the experience of present, living thinking.”

Steiner goes on:

“A proper understanding of this observation leads to the insight that thinking can be directly discerned as a self-contained entity.”

And I assume you and I both agree that when Steiner says ‘thinking can be directly discerned’ he is not saying that we can make a good inference about thinking or grasp an intellectual concept about it, but, rather, he is pointing to a present cognitive activity. The ‘insight’ is not the same kind of ‘insight’ people refer to when they have a web of finished concepts about some event or phenomena. The ‘insight’ is the very present activity that Steiner is distinguishing from observing abstract thoughts.

Again Steiner:

“When we observe our thinking, we live during this observation directly within a self-supporting, spiritual web of being. Indeed, we can even say that if we would grasp the essential nature of spirit in the form in which it presents itself most immediately to man, we need only look at the self-sustaining activity of thinking. . .”

And Khulewind and I are inclined to point to ‘during this observation’ as the key distinction Steiner is making between all other observations and when we grasp thinking itself in the present.

And then I’ll finish Khulewind’s comments when he explains why Steiner’s earlier comments about the impossibility of objectively contemplating our active thinking do not contradict Steiner claim that we must directly grasp thinking in the present rather than its thought product:

“The contrast with the assertion that ‘active production and its objective contemplation’ are mutually exclusive could not be more decisive. In reality there is no contradiction here at all, since intuitive experience is neither objective contemplation (“standing over against”) nor “observation” in the usual sense, but rather is presence, presentness in the activity, the unmediated experience from within...”

I can’t stress enough that the importance for me of contrasting these two diverse claims

I am saying this observation of present thinking cannot be done in principle.”
Thinking can observed directly

isn’t to prove one is right and the other is wrong. I simply would want each side to see how the other could have reached their conclusions. That I believe Steiner was indeed saying that thinking can be directly observed as the essential self-sustaining activity of cognition doesn’t mean that I can’t understand why somebody might say that it is impossible to observe present thinking.

Even from my viewpoint it is impossible to observe present thinking if we attempt to do so from within the habitual notion and activity of what it means to objectively observe or contemplate a phenomena.
findingblanks

Post by findingblanks »

Ashvin, you said:

"I am comfortable saying the phenomenology itself does not indicate whether it is truly "infinite and eternal", but that can be confirmed much further down our spiritual path."

Okay, thanks so much. So, to be clear, you weren't saying that it was obvious to you. You were indicating that it could, down the road, become obvious in principle? Yes, terms like 'informed faith' can help point to a certain kind of confidence that isn't based in direct intuitive knowing. I like that.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

findingblanks wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:16 pm “Just to clarify, if it is not already clear - I am saying this observation of present thinking cannot be done in principle.”

Yes, when we define things in this manner, I fully agree that the prior activity can never - even in principle - be the object of observation or thought form.

And I finally have my Khulewind back so I’ll share his comments on this topic. I share them not to set up an either/or approach to the question, but just to show that there are other ways of carving into the issue, each highlighting slightly different aspects. If somebody prefers one modality of expression this need not mean they are simply disagreeing or claiming the other is completely wrong or misunderstanding the other.

To be clear, I personally prefer the way Khulewind reads the distinctions in this case. It captures more of my experience and it captures more of the connections I see in the text (PoF) itself. However, I also don’t fully agree with everything he says. I quote him (and Steiner) here because, well, you asked and now I have the digital copy in hand. Also, I think he states this clearly and deserves credit because he certainly wrote this before I had heard of Steiner.

FB, thank you for all of these quotes. They will definitely provide a lot of fruitful territory to explore.

The first quotation begins with Steiner:

“The difficulty of grasping the essential nature of thinking by observation lies in this, that it has all too easily eluded the introspecting soul by the time the soul tries to bring it into the focus of attention. Nothing then remains to be inspected but the lifeless abstraction, the corpse of living thinking.”

Khulewind points out that here, at this point in the later chapters, Steiner uses the word ‘difficulty,’ rather than impossibility.

“Note that mention is again made of the difficulties in experiencing thinking in the present, but it is not set aside as impossible, as in the quotation from the third chapter.”

Steiner clearly recognized that thinking is what makes possible the observation of the thought-corpse or lifeless abstraction.

In your examples and comments to me you also are very clear about the observation we can make being that of the finished abstraction.

Here, there are two options - 1) By "difficulty", Steiner is once again saying it is impossible with mere intellect, but for whatever reason used "difficulty"; 2) By "grasping", Steiner means a dim understanding of the fact that Thinking lays behind all our spiritual activity. I prefer #2 because we can easily confirm this truth - before reading PoF up to these parts, most people would be completely unaware that this role of Thinking is even a possibility. Now, after reading them, we are aware that it is a possibility, but most likely we have not directly experienced the living Thinking yet. The key thing to remember with all of these interpretations is this underlying point which holds true no matter which interpretation we choose - at present, we are incomplete beings who have not developed living Thinking yet. It is also what Heidegger says in the 1950s (since he was brought up on the other thread) - "we are still not yet Thinking".

Steiner says:

“If we only look at this abstraction, we may easily find ourselves compelled to enter into the mysticism of feeling or perhaps metaphysics of will, which, by contrast, appear so ‘full of life.’ We should then find it strange that anyone should expect to grasp the essence of reality in
mere thoughts.’”

Steiner is aware that strong feelings and strong impulses of will will capture our priorities if we only have lifeless abstractions to compare them to. And Steiner even can sympathize with the person who is making such a comparison and the way they would call it ‘mere thoughts’. But he goes on:

“But if we once succeed in finding life in thinking, we shall know that swimming in mere feelings, or being intuitively aware of the will element, cannot even be compared with the inner wealth and self-contained yet ever active experience of this life of thinking, let alone ranked above it. . .”

The ‘experience’ Steiner mentions here is a present experience of nothing other than thinking as the self-sustaining activity that it (and only it) is. I know some Anthroposophists that take Steiner's use of 'finding' to indicate an abstract intellectual process of inference, but to me it is very clear that this 'finding' is a direct grasping and cognizing rather than an intellectual inference or speculation.

Yes, we can be presently aware (with intellect) that our feelings and impulses are only dimly sensed once we understand the role of Thinking in our experience, i.e. that our feelings and impulses will be liberated through it. But, they have not yet been liberated. We are still holding that possibility as an abstract concept. If we confuse that abstract concept for the actual liberating activity, we have fallen into what spiritual tradition calls "idolatry". Idolatry is so cautioned against because it stops us in our tracks - if we assume that we have already been spiritually liberated, then we have no motivation to pursue our spiritual activity even deeper into the depths of our Being.

And then Steiner presents us with this notion of how we can ‘turn’ towards and away from this living present thinking. Obviously ‘turn’ is a metaphor but I am very glad he uses it. Khulewind’s comments are in the brackets.

“If we turn towards thinking in its essence [i.e., the living, not the past thinking], we find in it both feeling and will, and these in the depths of their reality [feeling that perceives, will that perceives]; if we turn away from thinking towards “mere” feeling and will, we lose from these their true reality. If we are ready to experience thinking intuitively, we can also do justice to the experience of feeling and will. . .”

Okay and then Khulewind goes on to say:

“The attentive reader will realize that these sentences do not deal with the observation of past thinking (thoughts), but rather speak of the experience of present, living thinking.”

Steiner goes on:

“A proper understanding of this observation leads to the insight that thinking can be directly discerned as a self-contained entity.”

And I assume you and I both agree that when Steiner says ‘thinking can be directly discerned’ he is not saying that we can make a good inference about thinking or grasp an intellectual concept about it, but, rather, he is pointing to a present cognitive activity. The ‘insight’ is not the same kind of ‘insight’ people refer to when they have a web of finished concepts about some event or phenomena. The ‘insight’ is the very present activity that Steiner is distinguishing from observing abstract thoughts.

We do not agree here. Steiner is speaking of living thinking, agreed, but it is not "present activity" (by this I am assuming you always mean normal intellectual reasoning cognition). As long as we refrain from assuming we are complete beings presently, and that cognition has basically stopped evolving (or will not evolve for a long, long time, which is practically the same), then it is easy to see how Steiner is pointing to higher cognition of fully conscious imagination, inspiration, and intuition. To highlight the difference, according to Steiner (and I am sure you are already aware of this), imagination makes our dreaming state fully conscious, inspiration-intuition our deep dreamless sleep. So here we are talking about major qualitative leaps in cognition which allow for "direct discernment".

Again Steiner:

“When we observe our thinking, we live during this observation directly within a self-supporting, spiritual web of being. Indeed, we can even say that if we would grasp the essential nature of spirit in the form in which it presents itself most immediately to man, we need only look at the self-sustaining activity of thinking. . .”

And Khulewind and I are inclined to point to ‘during this observation’ as the key distinction Steiner is making between all other observations and when we grasp thinking itself in the present.

And then I’ll finish Khulewind’s comments when he explains why Steiner’s earlier comments about the impossibility of objectively contemplating our active thinking do not contradict Steiner claim that we must directly grasp thinking in the present rather than its thought product:

“The contrast with the assertion that ‘active production and its objective contemplation’ are mutually exclusive could not be more decisive. In reality there is no contradiction here at all, since intuitive experience is neither objective contemplation (“standing over against”) nor “observation” in the usual sense, but rather is presence, presentness in the activity, the unmediated experience from within...”

I can’t stress enough that the importance for me of contrasting these two diverse claims

I am saying this observation of present thinking cannot be done in principle.”
Thinking can observed directly

isn’t to prove one is right and the other is wrong. I simply would want each side to see how the other could have reached their conclusions. That I believe Steiner was indeed saying that thinking can be directly observed as the essential self-sustaining activity of cognition doesn’t mean that I can’t understand why somebody might say that it is impossible to observe present thinking.

Even from my viewpoint it is impossible to observe present thinking if we attempt to do so from within the habitual notion and activity of what it means to objectively observe or contemplate a phenomena.

I can see how you would reach some of these conclusions simply from reading PoF and also a respected scholar's interpretation of it. Fair enough. But once we broaden out to consider any of his other writings related to spiritual science, all of those interpretations fall apart. Then it becomes clear that PoF is only the most basic of basic starting points. This starting point is critical, because, as alluded before, once the higher light of the Spirit dawns on our thinking, then the rest of spiritual scientific approach naturally unfolds from there. It still requires a lot of thoughtful effort, but the PoF framework truly makes all of the Triune dynamics of body-soul-spirit and willing-feeling-thinking easier to approach.

I am really not trying to make this into a hostile claim or anything - it is just a plain fact. That is what confuses me the most about these interpretations you propose. The only way I can see to reconcile those things is to say Steiner first started out with little knowledge or acceptance of higher cognition and therefore assumed intellectual observing of one's own thinking was fully living and direct experience of thinking. Only later, he became deluded into thinking there are even higher modes of cognition which are more alive and direct. Is that your position? I doubt it. And, I could be wrong, but I think Steiner alludes to higher cognition in his writings even prior to PoF 1895 edition.
findingblanks

Post by findingblanks »

"We do not agree here. Steiner is speaking of living thinking, agreed, but it is not "present activity" (by this I am assuming you always mean normal intellectual reasoning cognition)."

No I consider it an exceptional state when a person is not simply thinking about an issue but living willingly in the present activity itself. I don't think this manifest in a uniform or mechanical way for all people, but I think there are tell tale signs of when a person has shifted from intellectually thinking about an issue to enacting a present experience that stays within the thought activity. It is an exception to the daily norm. And Steiner expected his readers to understand what he meant because he knew that despite this being not what we typically do, it is an experience people have reference to. Again, I find it very important and helpful that Steiner made clear he did not write about states and experiences that his reader's needed to take his word for and, more importantly, he expected careful readers at the time to grasp the distinction he was making between dead abstractions and living thinking.