new study says that a network of observers creates physical reality

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
MaartenV

new study says that a network of observers creates physical reality

Post by MaartenV »

A new study says that a network of observers creates physical reality.
https://bit.ly/3k5WFPH

Is there physical reality that is independent of us? Does objective reality exist at all? Or is the structure of everything, including time and space, created by the perceptions of those observing it? Such is the groundbreaking assertion of a new paper published in the Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics.

The paper’s authors include Robert Lanza, a stem cell and regenerative medicine expert, famous for the theory of biocentrism, which argues that consciousness is the driving force for the existence of the universe. He believes that the physical world that we perceive is not something that’s separate from us but rather created by our minds as we observe it. According to his biocentric view, space and time are a byproduct of the “whirl of information” in our head that is weaved together by our mind into a coherent experience.

His new paper, co-authored by Dmitriy Podolskiy and Andrei Barvinsky, theorists in quantum gravity and quantum cosmology, shows how observers influence the structure of our reality.
idlecuriosity

Re: new study says that a network of observers creates physical reality

Post by idlecuriosity »

While a bot could conceivably be an observer, Lanza thinks a conscious living entity with the capacity for memory is necessary to establish the arrow of time. “‘A brainless’ observer does not experience time and/or decoherence with any degree of freedom,” writes Lanza. This leads to the cause and effect relationships we can notice around us. Lanza thinks that “we can only say for sure that a conscious observer does indeed collapse a quantum wave function.”
I'm no scientist so by all means write me off at will on this but does this mean the universe itself is observing us consciously and establishing space time? Seems it'd make sense.
Jim Cross

Re: new study says that a network of observers creates physical reality

Post by Jim Cross »

MaartenV wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:23 am A new study says that a network of observers creates physical reality.
https://bit.ly/3k5WFPH

Is there physical reality that is independent of us? Does objective reality exist at all? Or is the structure of everything, including time and space, created by the perceptions of those observing it? Such is the groundbreaking assertion of a new paper published in the Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics.

The paper’s authors include Robert Lanza, a stem cell and regenerative medicine expert, famous for the theory of biocentrism, which argues that consciousness is the driving force for the existence of the universe. He believes that the physical world that we perceive is not something that’s separate from us but rather created by our minds as we observe it. According to his biocentric view, space and time are a byproduct of the “whirl of information” in our head that is weaved together by our mind into a coherent experience.

His new paper, co-authored by Dmitriy Podolskiy and Andrei Barvinsky, theorists in quantum gravity and quantum cosmology, shows how observers influence the structure of our reality.
I don't know about this one. If you get the original article, you will only find "conscious" mentioned one time in this context.
Finally, we allow detectors to “consciously” exchange information
about the measurements of the Ricci scalar between each other and can thus average over
realizations of φ assuming ergodicity of their distribution in the spacetime (i.e., assuming
that the average over realizations of the field φ is equivalent to the average over the 4-volume
of the theory); in this sense, we denote these detectors as von Neumann-Wigner observers
I don't have a clue what that is saying but it is written in an end note or appendix and the word "consciously" is quoted in the original.

The actual abstract doesn't say anything about observers creating reality but says something about "dimensional reduction" , whatever that means.

I'm familiar with Lanza but I can't see how Lanza's theory aligns with this paper or the article describing the paper aligns with the actual paper.