Criticism

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
JeffreyW

Re: Criticism

Post by JeffreyW »

AshvinP wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:02 am JW,

Thank you for the elaboration. To be clear, I also am only interested in our own views which we have reasoned through. I bring up Goethe as an example of an epistemology that directly challenges Kant's and all other implicitly dualistic epistemologies. That is really what I want to hone in on here.
JeffreyW wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:32 am I might not bring the specificity of detail you request, as I don’t now have the time to review a vast body of work I’ve left dormant for decades, but perhaps I’ve retained enough of the substance. I see Goethe as the opposite of Kant in many ways. In the Critiques, Kant wrote the closing argument for an era coming to an end simultaneously with his own life. Goethe announced a new era in his youth. As such, Goethe is a transitional figure, as seminal in his own way as Kant, but yet in the early steps into no-man’s land. It wouldn’t be until the end of the 19th Century that the closing argument for Romanticism would be given.

Goethe’s notions of Morphology and Polarity are themselves descriptions of the world of Goethe’s intellect. On the one side is his rejection of metaphysics and the promotion of esthetic knowledge. This is seen in his rejection of the noumenal and insistence that nature reveals all in appearance and experience with nothing hidden behind it; rejection of atomization in favor of nature as endless becoming ,and with that rejection of the static nature of systematic philosophy typified by Kant and Hegel; and most importantly - esthetic expression of nature to challenge purely scientific objectification as seen in his claim that he could describe the becoming of a plant dramatically as validly as a scientific explanation.

The bold does not seem correct to me. Goethe was a highly spiritual thinker, so it's likely that he at least thought there was a spiritual reality 'behind' the appearances of Nature. What you are describing actually sounds like naive realism to me, unless we are counting our careful reasoning activity as "experience" of Nature (which I would, because there is no good reason to exclude it).

At the other end of Polarity is his naive continued acceptance of Reason. The irrational underbelly of nature seems never to have appeared to him. That would come a bit later with the younger Schopenhauer, and with that he was led by rational understanding to his idea of Morphology, with nature guided by Bildungstrieb as an expression of “genetic” Urphänomenen. These Urphänomene revert back to metaphysics, however, in which Ideal forms find their manifestation through this Bildungstrieb.

And so in Goethe we find the competing forms of Werther and Farbenlehre - The poet who would be a scientist.

And with that ends my thoughts of Goethe. He came too early to bear fruit - that stage of development wouldn’t ripen for another 60 years or so, but he was a necessary transitional phase. My area of academic study was Western Intellectual History seen from the perspectives of philosophy and physics, and my attention was drawn to major stages, which in this period is best understood from Kant’s closing argument for The Enlightenment and Nietzsche’s closing argument for Romanticism - both in fully ripened bloom.

But our understandings of Goethe, Heidegger, or even Kastrup for that matter, shouldn’t be the prime concern here, but rather a presentation of our own views. I have tried to give an account of mine, which are not those of any other writer, and am prepared to discuss that further. As to your question of “not totally created in the mind”, I mean that our awareness is a an event of entanglement in which we experience relationship. To be conscious means an event in which we become conscious of something. Entanglement means there is no elemental subject/object relationship, but rather an entanglement of equal partnership. Music is the purest from of this, where in the entanglement there is sympathetic vibration equally occurring within the entangled partners.

Related to what I said above, Goethe's acceptance of Reason is exactly what allows him to avoid naive realism of Nature's appearances. You have mentioned this several times before and I have generally been confused about it. It sounds like you think Kant was also defending Reason, even though he is most famous for his critique of it. Do I have that wrong?

Apart from that, as I have mentioned before, I think it is your abstraction of "idea" which makes you feel the plant-Urphänomenen was a reversion back to metaphysics, when Goethe himself speaks of it as a living, breathing, dynamic and concrete reality which he could perceive. If one a priori denies the possibility of Thinking as a sense-organ, then of course we must say anyone perceiving anything beyond what Nature immediately presents in particular forms is metaphysically speculating or hallucinating. That is why I want to hone in on the epistemological method which considers Thinking as a sense-organ. Do you disagree with that and, if so, can you elaborate some counter-arguments (apart from the mere fact that most people don't think of it that way)?

JW wrote:In return, I would be interested in your justification for the applicability of Reason to a fundamentally irrational world.

I don't think it is a fundamentally irrational world. You see how that is a metaphysical conclusion when you add in "fundamentally", right? This is where I may actually agree with Rovelli - all of these terms are relational. From the perspective of our current intellectual cognition, yes there is A LOT about the phenomenal world, especially human experience, which can be called "irrational". But that is a function of our own limited cognition. We can't take this relational dynamic and reify it into a fixed law of Reality, so that what we call the "subconscious" is forever "irrational" and that's just the way it is. That sort of claim is a combination of abstract metaphysics and naive realism, exactly of the sort Kant and Schopenhauer employed in their epistemologies.

Reason will only take us so far before it must be transfigured into Imaginative cognition to make sense of the currently subconscious dynamics of experience, but there is no fundamental discontinuity between them. It is a qualitative leap in cognition, but not a leap into something of a fundamentally different essence than logical reasoning. They both serve the same underlying function - uniting Nature's fragmented appearances into ever-more coherent wholes of experience and thereby moving the human spirit-soul in the direction of its primordial Origin, in full clarity of consciousness. Cleric has posted extensively with illustrations of Imaginative cognition here, so you may want to browse some of those when you have a chance, to get a better idea of what I am referencing.
1.”Das Höchste wäre, zu begreifen, daß alles Faktische schon Theorie ist. Die Bläue des Himmels offenbart uns das Grundgesetz der Chromatik. Man suche nur nichts hinter den Phänomenen; sie selbst sind die “
Maximen und Reflexionen 488
2. Kant most definitely defended Reason, and in the Transcendental Deduction equated it with Will. In The Critique of Practical Reason, he goes on to equate Reason/Will with god. That was the part of Rationalism he retained.
Critique doesn’t mean criticism as in refutation; more a detailed analysis.
3. But the question I asked includes includes why you would think it is a rational world. Afterwords I will give my reasons why it isn’t.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

JeffreyW wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:56 am 1.”Das Höchste wäre, zu begreifen, daß alles Faktische schon Theorie ist. Die Bläue des Himmels offenbart uns das Grundgesetz der Chromatik. Man suche nur nichts hinter den Phänomenen; sie selbst sind die “
Maximen und Reflexionen 488

What you are quoting points directly to the fact that Goethe considers our conceptual reasoning as belonging to the phenomenon. We find this very strange because we have abstracted so far from "idea" that we feel it must be a completely "inner" activity which has nothing to do with the phenomenon being observed.

"Whoso shrinks from ideas ends by having nothing but sensations.

Truth is a torch, but a huge one, and so it is only with blinking eyes that we all of us try to get past it, in actual terror of being burnt.

Of the Absolute in the theoretical sense, I do not venture to speak; but this I maintain: that if a man recognises it in its manifestation, and always keeps his gaze fixed upon it, he will experience very great reward."

We could go on endlessly quoting similar maxims from Goethe. The Idea is what 'stands behind' the mere appearances for Goethe but is also manifested through them, for anyone with living Reason to perceive.

JW wrote:2. Kant most definitely defended Reason, and in the Transcendental Deduction equated it with Will. In The Critique of Practical Reason, he goes on to equate Reason/Will with god. That was the part of Rationalism he retained.
Critique doesn’t mean criticism as in refutation; more a detailed analysis.

I should have specified more. Do you think he defends Reason as a means of genuinely understanding, in any rigorous or precise manner, what stands behind the appearances (noumenon)? That is the epistemology I am trying to differentiate my position from.

Kant (Critique of Pure Reason) wrote:Of far more importance than all that has been above said, is the consideration that certain of our cognitions rise completely above the sphere of all possible experience, and by means of conceptions, to which there exists in the whole extent of experience no corresponding object, seem to extend the range of our judgments beyond its bounds. And just in this transcendental or supersensible sphere, where experience affords us neither instruction nor guidance, lie the investigations Reason, which, on account of their importance, we consider far preferable to, and as having a far more elevated aim than, all that the understanding can achieve within the sphere of sensuous phenomena. So high a value do we set upon these investigations, that even at the risk of error, we persist in following them out, and permit neither doubt nor disregard nor indifference to restrain us from the pursuit. These unavoidable problems of mere pure reason are God, Freedom (of will) and Immortality. The science which, with all its preliminaries, has for its especial object the solution of these problems is named metaphysics—a science which is at the very outset dogmatical, that is, it confidently takes upon itself the execution of this task without any previous investigation of the ability or inability of reason for such an understanding.
3. But the question I asked includes includes why you would think it is a rational world. Afterwords I will give my reasons why it isn’t.

I would not use the word "rational", because that is generally equated with some form of rationalism, which is basically dualism, and is the exact opposite of my position. I would be comfortable saying the world is a fundamentally logical world, in the sense of the Logos of John 1. There is an intellgible principle underlying the Cosmos which can be discerned. The Logos has evolved and continues to evolve - we could call this "spiritual evolution", which I hold to be practically synonymous with the evolution of perception-cognition. So none of this is to be confused with 'transcendental' religious tradition. This is why I pointed to Steiner's Philosophy of Spiritual Activity before - it is a rigorous phenomenology which shows how we find a sphere of overlap between the eternal, ever-evolving intelligible principle of the Cosmos and our own finite be-ing in our immanent Thinking activity. By re-cognizing this as an immanent reality (as opposed to abstract theory), we gain confidence that there is a thread of Spirit (Thinking) which weaves through the entire Cosmos and right into our own Thinking activity, which includes, but is not limited to, Reason.

Steiner wrote:In thinking, we have that element given us which welds our separate individuality into one whole with the cosmos. In so far as we sense and feel (and also perceive), we are single beings; in so far as we think, we are the all-one being that pervades everything. This is the deeper meaning of our two-sided nature: We see coming into being in us a force complete and absolute in itself, a force which is universal but which we learn to know, not as it issues from the center of the world, but rather at a point in the periphery. Were we to know it at its source, we should understand the whole riddle of the universe the moment we became conscious. But since we stand at a point in the periphery, and find that our own existence is bounded by definite limits, we must explore the region which lies outside our own being with the help of thinking, which projects into us from the universal world existence.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Eugene I wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:51 am
AshvinP wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:10 am Eugene,

Consider the deeper difference at play when Cleric says "everything results from the spiritual activity of beings". Right off the bat, we can say, "everything in my inner world of thought-forms also results from my spiritual activity!". Here let's just agree "spiritual activity" means Thinking. It's not an assumption we are asking you to accept on blind faith. I am asking you to grant this equivalence for the sake of argument and see where the logic goes. So we find a clear overlap between the thought-forms reflecting meaning which we create within us and what higher order beings create through their spiritual activity, which is reflected in everything we call the 'external' sense-world.
As I said before, they both can be understood as abstract theories, or as certain interpretations of the 1-st person perspective direct experience. It depends on the person interpreting it.
Higher cognition is possible and it is verifiable by experience, I don't argue against that at all. But this is not an ontological claim, it is only experiential and pragmatic (something can be done and experienced), and therefore it is experientially verifiable.

What we are trying to point to is that there are no ontological claims in SS. Steiner himself has an ontology expressed elsewhere, but it's completely irrelevant to SS. Actually its counter-productive, because the person understanding SS as metaphysics/ontology will naturally move in opposite direction of what is intended, towards abstract theories rather than concrete experiences. That is the real pragmatic difference between SS and BK's idealism. That you keep thinking SS is about accepting certain assumptions intellectually is simply missing the entire point of the endeavor. This has been explained to you in every which way possible at this point, and it feels to me as more of a distraction from any productive dialogue into tangled abstractions which simply serve to confuse readers, so I won't go on about it. Maybe Cleric will pick it up with you again.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

AshvinP wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:53 pm What we are trying to point to is that there are no ontological claims in SS. Steiner himself has an ontology expressed elsewhere, but it's completely irrelevant to SS. Actually its counter-productive, because the person understanding SS as metaphysics/ontology will naturally move in opposite direction of what is intended, towards abstract theories rather than concrete experiences. That is the real pragmatic difference between SS and BK's idealism. That you keep thinking SS is about accepting certain assumptions intellectually is simply missing the entire point of the endeavor. This has been explained to you in every which way possible at this point, and it feels to me as more of a distraction from any productive dialogue into tangled abstractions which simply serve to confuse readers, so I won't go on about it. Maybe Cleric will pick it up with you again.
"everything results from the spiritual activity of beings" IS and ontological (or at least metaphysical) claim, and as such, can only be an assumption, but not an experimentally verifiable fact. However, "something results from the spiritual activity of beings" is an experimentally verifiable statement and is not a metaphysical claim.
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Eugene I wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:02 pm
AshvinP wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:53 pm What we are trying to point to is that there are no ontological claims in SS. Steiner himself has an ontology expressed elsewhere, but it's completely irrelevant to SS. Actually its counter-productive, because the person understanding SS as metaphysics/ontology will naturally move in opposite direction of what is intended, towards abstract theories rather than concrete experiences. That is the real pragmatic difference between SS and BK's idealism. That you keep thinking SS is about accepting certain assumptions intellectually is simply missing the entire point of the endeavor. This has been explained to you in every which way possible at this point, and it feels to me as more of a distraction from any productive dialogue into tangled abstractions which simply serve to confuse readers, so I won't go on about it. Maybe Cleric will pick it up with you again.
"everything results from the spiritual activity of beings" IS and ontological (or at least metaphysical) claim, and as such, can only be an assumption, but not an experimentally verifiable fact. However, "something results from the spiritual activity of beings" is an experimentally verifiable statement and is not a metaphysical claim.

It does no good to fragment these lines from their context and base an argument on that fragment. Look at the entire context:

Cleric wrote:In the soul realm there's no longer mineral element. Everything is in constant metamorphosis. The experience of these metamorphoses is not like seeing the movement of matter but it contains within itself the law which rules the transformation. If we see a still frame of a flying ball there's no way to predict where the ball will be in the next frame. In the soul realm we perceive also the inner lawfulness of the way everything moves. The only thing from our ordinary consciousness that we can compare this to, is our own thinking. In normal thinking if we imagine a flying ball it makes no sense to ask where it is going because we encompass the time within which the imagined ball moves. It moves within our own idea so we know its past and future. It is similar in the soul realm. There everything is of thought-like nature. Things not only move and metamorphose but we experience these movements as resulting from meaningful intents. The intents are not always clear but it's perfectly clear that there's nothing of mechanical nature there. Everything [there] results from the spiritual activity of beings.

If we make an analogy, let's say Cleric claims "in the physical realm we perceive a person always gets flattened when hit by a fast train". Your reply is, "that is an ontological claim! Not an experimentally verifiable one". Does that make any sense to you?
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

AshvinP wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:46 pm If we make an analogy, let's say Cleric claims "in the physical realm we perceive a person moves when he is shoved by another person". Your reply is, "that is an ontological claim! Not an experimentally verifiable one". Does that make any sense to you?
Any claim that applies to everything is metaphysical. Any claim that applies to something may or may not be metaphysical. So, "everything results from the spiritual activity of beings" IS a metaphysical claim, because it is unverifiable in principle. In order to verify experimentally any "everything" claim, you need to test it against every single fact of past and future experience and against every "thing" existing in the entire world, which is obviously impossible. This should be pretty obvious for any elementary school student.
Last edited by Eugene I on Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Eugene I wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:49 pm
AshvinP wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:46 pm If we make an analogy, let's say Cleric claims "in the physical realm we perceive a person moves when he is shoved by another person". Your reply is, "that is an ontological claim! Not an experimentally verifiable one". Does that make any sense to you?
Any claim that applies to everything is metaphysical. Any claim that applies to something may or may not be metaphysical. So, "everything results from the spiritual activity of beings" IS a metaphysical claim.

I changed the analogy to illustrate the point better. So if Cleric were to say, "everything I have experienced in the soul-realm results from the spiritual activity of beings", you would say this is no longer a metaphysical claim, right? So what exactly is the point of you even making this objection? What is the relation to Cleric's underlying argument?
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

AshvinP wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:53 pm I changed the analogy to illustrate the point better. So if Cleric were to say, "everything I have experienced in the soul-realm results from the spiritual activity of beings", you would say this is no longer a metaphysical claim, right? So what exactly is the point of you even making this objection? What is the relation to Cleric's underlying argument?
The statement "everything I have experienced in the soul-realm results from the spiritual activity of beings]" is totally legit and not a metaphysical statement, but it is not idealism anymore, because such position is still inconclusive about a possible existence of something other than the results from the spiritual activity of beings, something other than thinking and the results of its activity. This is entirely legit pragmatic position, I have no problem with that. But this is not what SS poses:
Steiner wrote:What philosophers call the absolute, the eternal being, the ground of the world, what the religions call God, this we call, on the basis of our epistemological studies: the idea. Everything in the world that does not appear directly as idea will still ultimately be recognized as going forth from the idea.
So, in such Steiner's formulation the proposition (of idealism) is clearly a metaphysical statement. Which means that it can never be proven experimentally and can only be an assumption. This does not mean there is anything wrong with it or with adopting such view, it only means that it can only be adopted as an assumption.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Eugene I wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:04 pm
AshvinP wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:53 pm I changed the analogy to illustrate the point better. So if Cleric were to say, "everything I have experienced in the soul-realm results from the spiritual activity of beings", you would say this is no longer a metaphysical claim, right? So what exactly is the point of you even making this objection? What is the relation to Cleric's underlying argument?
The statement "everything I have experienced in the soul-realm results from the spiritual activity of beings]" is totally legit and not a metaphysical statement, but it is not idealism anymore, because such position is still inconclusive about a possible existence of something other than the results from the spiritual activity of beings, something other than thinking and the results of its activity. This is entirely legit pragmatic position, I have no problem with that.

I am ignoring your quote of Steiner, because we are discussing here what Cleric wrote to you and Ben. Who cares if it is "idealism anymore"? The question is whether it is true, not whether it conforms to any abstract intellectual theory. This is what Cleric keeps trying to tell you - if we want to have intellectual certainty that the arm can move before we try to move the arm, the arm will never be moved... and then we will continue claiming the "arm movement sect" is only making assumptions which could be wrong and therefore choosing to accept the reality of arm movement is a matter of personal preference. . It is you saying, "until we can experimentally verify that every arm is capable of being moved in every instance of someone attempting to move the arm, past, present, and future, we cannot reach any firm conclusions about arm movement". This defies all logic and reason, which may be OK if you deny the reliability of those things from the outset, but that is an even more extreme position than the Kantian divide.
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

AshvinP wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:22 pm I am ingoring your quote of Steiner, because we are discussing here what Cleric wrote to you and Ben. Who cares if it is "idealism anymore"? The question is whether it is true, not whether it conforms to any abstract intellectual theory. This is what Cleric keeps trying to tell you - if we want to have intellectual certainty that the arm can move before we try to move the arm, the arm will never be moved... and then we will continue claiming the "arm movement sect" is only making assumptions which could be wrong and therefore choosing to accept the reality of arm movement is a matter of personal preference. . It is you saying, "until we can experimentally verify that every arm is capable of being moved in every instance of someone attempting to move the arm, past, present, and future, we cannot reach any firm conclusions about arm movement". This defies all logic and reason, which may be OK if you deny the reliability of those things from the outset, but that is an even more extreme position than the Kantian divide.
Choosing to accept the reality of arm movement is a not matter of personal preference, but it is a matter of verifying this assumption against experience. Before it can be experientially verified (in 1-st person experience), it can only be an assumption (from this 1-st person perspective). Once experimentally verified, it becomes a proven fact regardless of 1-st-person personal preference.

But verifying that the arm can move is not enough to become a Spiritual Scientist, because SS is founded on the Steiner statement quoted above that can in principle never be verified experimentally and therefore is an unverifiable assumption.

Also note that Cleric literally said "everything in the soul-realm results from the spiritual activity of beings" and not "everything I have experienced in the soul-realm results from the spiritual activity of beings". Guys, you need to be clear and consistent with what you are stating, otherwise you will only confuse people by changing you claims every other post.