Phenomenological idealism: definitions of common terms

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: Phenomenological idealism: definitions of common terms

Post by AshvinP »

findingblanks wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:38 am "In short, Steiner's phenomenology is his epistemology, which differs from yours and Kant's."

Technically, this is true and helpful. However, anybody who decides to read a book like PoF because Steiner pointed to it as his most important book will be surprised if they are told that Steiner is doing phenomenology in that text. We can judge them. We can say they need to read closer. But we can also acknowledge, I think Scott can at least, that PoF is presented in the style of a logical progression within an epistemological frame much more than a careful pointing to the emergence and qualitative landscape of our phenomenology. But, yes, his 1916 additions make some very interesting phenomenological shifts that he did not carry into the original text for the various reasons he stated. In the core text that precieded PoF, Steiner explains why and how his philosophy can and should fall under the banner of 'epistemology.' But Scott's comments certainly clarify an important distinction between Steiner and Kant with regards to the boundaries they ultimate impose/find.

Scott didn't say Steiner is not doing epistemology, but that his phenomenology is his epistemology (and eventually his ontology as well). Steiner himself makes this clear very early in first edition of PoF. And I wonder what is an alternative work which you suggest may be a more "careful pointing to the emergence and qualitative landscape"? Not that I am ruling it out per se, but I have not come across any such work.

Steiner (Chapter 2) wrote:I am well aware that many who have read thus far will not find my discussion “scientific”, as this term is used today. To this I can only reply that I have so far been concerned not with scientific results of any kind, but with the simple description of what every one of us experiences in his own consciousness. The inclusion of a few phrases about attempts to reconcile man's consciousness and the world serves solely to elucidate the actual facts. I have therefore made no attempt to use the various expressions “I”, “Spirit”, “World”, “Nature”, in the precise way that is usual in psychology and philosophy. The ordinary consciousness is unaware of the sharp distinctions made by the sciences, and my purpose so far has been solely to record the facts of everyday experience. I am concerned, not with the way in which science, so far, has interpreted consciousness, but with the way in which we experience it in every moment of our lives.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
ScottRoberts

Post by ScottRoberts »

Eugene I wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:08 pm I’m studying this paper that is basically commentaries on PoF epistemology. Very interesting and revealing. There is a lot there, I will only emphasize the relevant points. I’ll be posing a series of posts on the subject.

Step 1.Thinking and Reality.
A couple of comments:

I want to make sure you are understanding the difference between the mediated given and the unmediated given. When I see a tree, that is a mediated given, because I have subconsciously added a concept to the unmediated given. Otherwise, I wouldn't re-cognize the tree. This is relevant to the sequel, when Steiner says that thinking unites what sense perception divides.

Related, when you are saying that the given is "part given and part concepts", it is not clear which of two meanings this may have. First, seeing a tree is part unmediated given and part concept, as noted above. The other is that within one's phenomenal universe there is the part that consists of our own consciously produced concepts -- our thinking about the given, and our thinking independent of sensory phenomena, like mathematical concepts. Just saying that you need to be clear on which you are talking about.

More generally, on reading Brady's paper and PoF, I think the question you might ask yourself is why your questions in your earlier post that I responded to will be seen by a Steinerian as non-pragmatic. Questions like:
But how do we know and verify in a spiritually-scientific way that the Zodiacs in fact are parts of the structures that govern the phenomenal realities that we experience as sense perceptions (i.e. the realities of the apparent physical world), and that they are not just our shared imaginations? We can imagine together a shared idea of a Pink Unicorn. But how do we know that it corresponds to any actual reality? This is very important question and I think people asked you about it on this forum: how do you know that your higher-cognition imaginations have any relevance to actual reality of the spiritual and/or physical world? What is a way to verify them and not just take them as beliefs?
The main problem is that you are positing an actual reality to which thinking must "correspond", but that is jumping the gun. In addition (though this goes beyond the context of the Brady paper) : you are ignoring the difference between "imagination" as it is commonly used, and Imagination as Steiner (and Cleric) use it. The latter is the first rung up of higher cognition. Coleridge's distinction between 'Imagination' and 'fancy' is helpful here. The Harry Potter books are, in Coleridge's vocabulary, great works of fancy, but not Imagination. The thought of a pink unicorn is a fancy, not an Imaginative act.
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

ScottRoberts wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:02 am I want to make sure you are understanding the difference between the mediated given and the unmediated given. When I see a tree, that is a mediated given, because I have subconsciously added a concept to the unmediated given. Otherwise, I wouldn't re-cognize the tree. This is relevant to the sequel, when Steiner says that thinking unites what sense perception divides.
thanks for your comments, Scott. Yes, Brady talks about that and quotes form RS about that
Related, when you are saying that the given is "part given and part concepts", it is not clear which of two meanings this may have. First, seeing a tree is part unmediated given and part concept, as noted above. The other is that within one's phenomenal universe there is the part that consists of our own consciously produced concepts -- our thinking about the given, and our thinking independent of sensory phenomena, like mathematical concepts. Just saying that you need to be clear on which you are talking about.
Well it can be any meaning, either related or non-related, either way any meaning becomes automatically part of the given.
More generally, on reading Brady's paper and PoF, I think the question you might ask yourself is why your questions in your earlier post that I responded to will be seen by a Steinerian as non-pragmatic. Questions like:
But how do we know and verify in a spiritually-scientific way that the Zodiacs in fact are parts of the structures that govern the phenomenal realities that we experience as sense perceptions (i.e. the realities of the apparent physical world), and that they are not just our shared imaginations? We can imagine together a shared idea of a Pink Unicorn. But how do we know that it corresponds to any actual reality? This is very important question and I think people asked you about it on this forum: how do you know that your higher-cognition imaginations have any relevance to actual reality of the spiritual and/or physical world? What is a way to verify them and not just take them as beliefs?
The main problem is that you are positing an actual reality to which thinking must "correspond", but that is jumping the gun. In addition (though this goes beyond the context of the Brady paper) : you are ignoring the difference between "imagination" as it is commonly used, and Imagination as Steiner (and Cleric) use it. The latter is the first rung up of higher cognition. Coleridge's distinction between 'Imagination' and 'fancy' is helpful here. The Harry Potter books are, in Coleridge's vocabulary, great works of fancy, but not Imagination. The thought of a pink unicorn is a fancy, not an Imaginative act.
Re: Imagination, I still need to figure it out, will read PoF about it.
Regarding the first sentence, Steiner explicitly says that the "other than thinking given" is exactly the reality to which the ideas of thinking must correspond. I call it "actual reality" in a sense that it is something actually given to us directly in our direct 1-st person conscious experience but it is still something other than thinking.
Steiner wrote:But when we want to know something other than thinking, we can do so only with the help
of thinking — that is, thinking has to approach something given and transform its chaotic
relationship with the world picture into a systematic one
. Thinking therefore approaches the
given content as an organizing principle. The process takes place as follows: Thinking first
lifts out certain entities from the totality of the world-whole. In the given there is actually
no singularity, for all is continuously blended. Then thinking relates these separate entities
to each other in accordance with the thought-forms it produces, and lastly determines the
outcome of this relationship. When thinking restores a relationship between two separate
sections of the world-content, it does not do so arbitrarily. Thinking waits for what comes
to light of its own accord as a result of restoring the relationship. It is this result alone
which is knowledge of that particular section of the world content. If the latter were unable
to express anything about itself through that relationship, then this attempt made by
thinking would fail, and one would have to try again. All knowledge depends on
establishing a correct relationship between two or more elements of reality, and
comprehending the result of this
Interesting that here he says that thinking comprehends specifically relationships between different parts of the given totality of other-than-thinking.

Scott, I assume you know the PoF well, and I get that the Cleric's philosophy of the Absolute Idea is a legit version of idealism. But do you know if this is what Steiner actually meant? From what I read so far from the paper it is nothing like that. Steiner says explicitly that the content of the "given" can be of thinking and its manifestations and of other-than-thinking. Where does he state that the totality of the given is all of the essence/nature of ideas and thinking?
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Eugene I wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:35 am Regarding the first sentence, Steiner explicitly says that the "other than thinking given" is exactly the reality to which the ideas of thinking must correspond. I call it "actual reality" in a sense that it is something actually given to us directly in our direct 1-st person conscious experience but it is still something other than thinking.
Steiner wrote:But when we want to know something other than thinking, we can do so only with the help
of thinking — that is, thinking has to approach something given and transform its chaotic
relationship with the world picture into a systematic one
. Thinking therefore approaches the
given content as an organizing principle. The process takes place as follows: Thinking first
lifts out certain entities from the totality of the world-whole. In the given there is actually
no singularity, for all is continuously blended. Then thinking relates these separate entities
to each other in accordance with the thought-forms it produces, and lastly determines the
outcome of this relationship. When thinking restores a relationship between two separate
sections of the world-content, it does not do so arbitrarily. Thinking waits for what comes
to light of its own accord as a result of restoring the relationship. It is this result alone
which is knowledge of that particular section of the world content. If the latter were unable
to express anything about itself through that relationship, then this attempt made by
thinking would fail, and one would have to try again. All knowledge depends on
establishing a correct relationship between two or more elements of reality, and
comprehending the result of this

Eugene,

Point of clarification - you are quoting Brady the author there, not Steiner. I already explained what Brady is trying to say in that quote - he is talking about things that appear "other than thinking" to us at first blush, since the phenomenological method first starts from how phenomena manifest in our immanent experience. Clearly there are things which we naively perceive to be outside our own thinking, and it is only through Thinking that we can later conclude with epistemic confidence that they are not, in fact, other than Thinking in essence. But maybe if you hear it from Scott, you will take it more seriously...

In the meantime, I am reposting my very first essay, on Kant's epistemology, which I had occasion to update for other reasons, but it happens to be very timely with what is being discussed here. I really hope you take a look, because it can serve as a basic primer on what is going on in Kant's epistemic framework which is the same as yours, as Scott has also pointed out. It is a really short essay as far as essays go.
Last edited by AshvinP on Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
ScottRoberts

Post by ScottRoberts »

Eugene I wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:52 pm But I'm actually thinking about a synthetic kind of idealism combining both into one whole. This is why I got interested in studying the PoF. Nothing would prevent us from assuming that the reality is both Absolute Awareness and Absolute Idea, with Awareness being one aspect of reality (formless) and the Idea being the other aspect (forms), with both aspects being inseparable parts of the whole. I think this is what Scott also implied in his idea of Mumorphism, but I'll let him to correct me if I'm wrong.
In my vocabulary, an 'idea' is a mumorphic act, of which 'formlessness' is one pole, with 'form' the other pole. So, being a pole of a polarity, there would be no "Absolute (formless) Awareness". One could say there is "Absolute Idea", though to distinguish this from Hegel's Absolute Concept, one would, I think, need to bring in the dynamic aspect of 'idea', which would then suggest 'thinking' or 'ideating' as a better word, as long as one doesn't restrict it to the feeble sort we engage in.
ScottRoberts

Post by ScottRoberts »

Eugene I wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:35 am
Re: Imagination, I still need to figure it out, will read PoF about it.
PoF doesn't get into Imagination (or the higher rungs, Inspiration and Intuition). For that you'll want his Outline of Occult Science, also available at rsarchive.org.
Scott, I assume you know the PoF well, and I get that the Cleric's philosophy of the Absolute Idea is a legit version of idealism. But do you know if this is what Steiner actually meant? From what I read so far from the paper it is nothing like that. Steiner says explicitly that the content of the "given" can be of thinking and its manifestations and of other-than-thinking. Where does he state that the totality of the given is all of the essence/nature of ideas and thinking?
As Ashvin said, eventually one gets to understanding that there is, in a sense, no 'other than thinking'. (I say "in a sense", because one also has to work in feeling and willing, but that takes a longer explanation). Let's just say that sense perception comes to be understood as a kind of thinking.
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Eugene I wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:01 pm Well, I can see the word "monism" here but no explicit statement that this is the monism of the Absolute Idea. He has not been explicit and specific in this quote about the ontological/fundamental essence of this monist universe.
I'm not sure if we can find in PoF exactly this tuple of words "Absolute Idea" but as Ashvin showed, it is everywhere spoken of.

If you would like to find this more literally expressed, you can look at Goethean Science: IX: Goethes Epistemology
Steiner wrote:
We will first become clear about this relationship when we investigate why we are unsatisfied by perceptible reality, but are satisfied, on the other hand, by a thought-through reality. Perceptible reality confronts us as something finished. It is just there; we have contributed nothing to its being there in the way it is. We feel ourselves confronted, therefore, by a foreign entity that we have not produced, at whose production we were not even, in fact, present. We stand before something that has already come about. But we are able to grasp only something about which we know how it has become what it is, how it has come about; when we know where the strings are that support what appears before us. With our thinking, this is different. A thought-configuration does not come before me unless I myself participate in its coming about; it comes into the field of my perception only through the fact that I myself lift it up out of the dark abyss of imperceptibility. The thought does not arise in me as a finished entity the way a sense perception does, but rather I am conscious of the fact that, when I do hold fast to a concept in its complete form, I myself have brought it into this form. What then lies before me appears to me not as something first, but rather as something last, as the completion of a process that is so integrally merged with me that I have always stood within it. But this is what I must demand of a thing that enters the horizon of my perception, in order to understand it. Nothing may remain obscure to me; nothing may appear closed off; I myself must follow it to that stage at which it has become something finished. This is why the direct form of reality, which we usually call experience, moves us to work it through in knowledge. When we bring our thinking into movement, we then go back to the determining factors of the given that at first remained hidden to us; we work our way up from the product to the production; we arrive at the stage where sense perception becomes transparent to us in the same way the thought is. Our need for knowledge is thus satisfied. We can therefore come to terms with a thing in knowledge only when we have completely (thoroughly) penetrated with thinking what is directly perceived. A process of the world appears completely penetrated by us only when the process is our own activity. A thought appears as the completion of a process within which we stand. Thinking, however, is the only process into which we can completely place ourselves, into which we can merge. Therefore, to our knowing contemplation, the reality we experience must appear to emerge as though out of a thought-process, in the same way as pure thought does. To investigate the essential being of a thing means to begin at the center of the thought-world and to work from there until a thought-configuration appears before our soul that seems to us to be identical to the thing we are experiencing. When we speak of the essential being of a thing or of the world altogether, we cannot therefore mean anything else at all than the grasping of reality as thought, as idea. In the idea we recognize that from which we must derive everything else: the principle of things. What philosophers call the absolute, the eternal being, the ground of the world, what the religions call God, this we call, on the basis of our epistemological studies: the idea. Everything in the world that does not appear directly as idea will still ultimately be recognized as going forth from the idea. What seems, on superficial examination, to have no part at all in the idea is found by a deeper thinking to stem from it. No other form of existence can satisfy us except one stemming from the idea. Nothing may remain away from it; everything must become a part of the great whole that the idea encompasses. The idea, however, requires no going out beyond itself. It is self-sustained being, well founded in itself. This does not lie at all in the fact that we have the idea directly present in our consciousness. This lies in the nature of the idea itself. If the idea did not itself express its own being, then it would in fact also appear to us in the same way the rest of reality does: needing explanation. But this then seems to contradict what we said earlier, that the idea appears in a form satisfying to us because we participate actively in its coming about. But this is not due to the organization of our consciousness. If the idea were not a being founded upon itself, then we could not have any such consciousness at all. If something does not have within itself the center from which it springs, but rather has it outside itself, then, when it confronts me, I cannot declare myself satisfied with it; I must go out beyond it, to that center, in fact. Only when I meet something that does not point out beyond itself, do I then achieve the consciousness: now you are standing within the center; here you can remain. My consciousness that I am standing within a thing is only the result of the objective nature of this thing, which is that it brings its principle along with it. By taking possession of the idea, we arrive at the core of the world. What we grasp there is that from which everything goes forth. We become united with this principle; therefore the idea, which is most objective, appears to us at the same time as most subjective.
Please bear in mind that this early work of Steiner is after all a book about Goethe's world view. This should be mentioned because the above paragraph may leave the impression that it is expected that the absolute idea can be arrived at through intellectual reasoning. This was actually the event horizon which Hegel reached. Beyond that, it can be followed how the World comes forth from the Idea only through the higher forms of cognition. In other words, the World is not a product of intellectual thoughts. We need to rise to other kinds of spiritual activity if we are to understand how the planets and beings come forth.

The second bolded part really speaks directly to your distinction of Absolute Awareness and Absolute Idea. When you say that we're placing unwarranted assumption if we say that at its core the One Consciousness experiences the perfect unifying Idea of all, it sounds as if this is bound to forever remain unverifiable hypothesis. You say:
Eugene I wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:52 pm That is correct. In the Awareness idealism thinking does not assume that the reality is fully cognizable/explicable, but neither it assumes that it is forever inexplicable for cognition. It takes no assumptions and remains open to both possibilities. In the current human form it seems to be inexplicable so far, but again, who knows, it may become explicable through some revelation even for some genius human. The Awareness idealism remains open to the possibility that the reality can be comprehended by thinking, but it makes no unwarranted assertions about that.

On the contrary, the idealism of the Absolute Idea requires an unwarranted assumption that the world is Idea only and therefore can be fully cognizable by thinking.
This would make sense if human thought is forever cut clean from reality in Kantian sense and can never know anything more than the mental representations within its opaque sphere of consciousness. But the whole idea behind monism is that the curvature of idea/meaning behind our own thoughts is part of the curvature of idea/meaning of the whole Cosmos. Even though initially this comes only as a conjecture, it is not a speculative statement about something that is beyond the Kantian divide. It is a direction that can be explored. Your 'openness to the possibility' says that you're waiting for something to happen in the external world which should prove to you if the Absolute Awareness is also holistically meaningful - that is, the Absolute Awareness is really not only awareness of a mysterious world but of the Idea of that world. As you say, you're waiting for the next great genius of humanity that will come and make the inexplicable explicable. But these geniuses have never ceased to come and speak. The problem is that whatever they say remains external perception. It is you who must become this genius and step through the threshold and verify this for yourself. Otherwise everything will forever remain speculation about what may lay on the other side of consciousness. If you really feel in your heart that Consciousness is a Mobius strip then simply take a step and follow things to their ultimate conclusions. Sitting and waiting for something to happen in the world (or simply waiting for death to see what happens) is only delaying this step which alone can give you the first-person confirmation (I'll address the truthiness issue in another post).
Ben Iscatus

Post by Ben Iscatus »

Let's just say that sense perception comes to be understood as a kind of thinking.
Most of this thread is just spindrift to me, but occasionally there's a nugget like this.

Scott, how about metabolic activity, the blood coursing through our veins? I'd count these as our experiencing, but not our thinking. Would you? Would you class them as the thinking of a transpersonal mind?
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Ben Iscatus wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:10 am
ScottRoberts wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:43 am Let's just say that sense perception comes to be understood as a kind of thinking.
Scott, how about metabolic activity, the blood coursing through our veins? I'd count these as our experiencing, but not our thinking. Would you? Would you class them as the thinking of a transpersonal mind?
While of course 'anthroposophy', by definition, is pertaining to the human domain of perceiving/thinking, yet what are we to make of a fly selecting out from the blooming, buzzing confusion the percept of a dog turd as a meaningful experience? Presumably that's a kind of primal thinking too.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Eugene I wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:16 pm For example, I can have a thought bearing an idea/meaning of a "material world" existing beyond consciousness. Using my imagination I can imagine it very vividly. But the question is: how does this meaning relates to the reality? Does such material world actually exist? How do I know if it is true or not? Or I can have an idea of some advanced mathematical construct, for example, an uncountable infinity (Kantor's aleph 1). Does it exists in any way in reality other than just as a meaning of my thought in my imagination? Phenomenology does not address these questions, but epistemology does.

But that problem also applies to what you wrote and to PoF. Yes, by using Imaginative and Intuitive higher cognition we can have very high-level subtle imaginations and ideas, and we can have it in a shared way between a group of people. For example, we can both have intuitions and imaginations about Zodiacs. I can imagine and intuit Zodiacs and their possible relations with the life on Earth. But how do we know and verify in a spiritually-scientific way that the Zodiacs in fact are parts of the structures that govern the phenomenal realities that we experience as sense perceptions (i.e. the realities of the apparent physical world), and that they are not just our shared imaginations? We can imagine together a shared idea of a Pink Unicorn. But how do we know that it corresponds to any actual reality? This is very important question and I think people asked you about it on this forum: how do you know that your higher-cognition imaginations have any relevance to actual reality of the spiritual and/or physical world? What is a way to verify them and not just take them as beliefs? These are, again, epistemological questions.
I've addressed these issues in various places, for example in the Man, Know Thyself essay. There are two aspects.

First, we should understand that there's something which higher cognition presents as undeniable fact. For example in our ordinary consciousness the undeniable facts are the experiences of color, thoughts, sounds, etc. (I know that you gave the example where this can be denied. I'll return to it) In other places you have also mentioned that our temperament, desires and so on are completely real but at the same time we are not them. That's correct. Yet this de-identification doesn't free us from this bodily and soul environment. If I ignore my physical body on the pretext that I'm not it, it is my de-identified being that will experience the pain as the body deteriorates. So it's up to my spiritual activity to cherish and organize my inner and outer environment.

This environment becomes much more objective when we rise to Imaginative cognition. Just as we can see how blood is forced to flow through the arteries and veins, so the objective panorama reveals the curvature of our higher organization within which our ordinary consciousness if forced to flow. We can never attain to this panorama with mere de-identification with the processes as we cognize them in our ordinary state. Instead we must come to know the living forces behind these processes with intimacy that will be completely repugnant for those who would like to simply think them away or only observe them 'objectively' from a safe distance. It's not without reason that this panorama is called in Initiatic science the Guardian at the Threshold. The intellectual conceptions we have of ourselves (irrelevant if we identify with it or not) is rarely very objective. When we cross the threshold our ordinary consciousness is on display before our now higher standpoint of being. As an example, from this vantage point it becomes very clear how certain soul forces act in such a way that our intellectual self experiences doubt. What I'm here describing for example, is met with doubt by most readers. When we confront the panorama of our bodily and spiritual organism we perceive exactly the kinds of soul forces that press down on the intellect and keep it into its own plane of oscillation. This is experienced as undeniable fact in the same way we experience color and sound in the ordinary state. It's undeniable because it is not intellectual interpretation of visionary states but because our consciousness lives within the spiritual currents which when decohered become the intellect, which no longer grasps the curvature which makes it think and doubt whatever it thinks and doubts.

Now the second aspect which deals with truth. You say:
Eugene I wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:40 am But Thinking can also manifest an idea "there is no such thing as Thinking experiencing, it's an illusion (c) Dennett". So now I have two ideas both real and existing simultaneously but contradicting each other as polarities. Imagine that: Thinking is so powerful that it can think that it does not exist! And the idea that "Thinking does not exist" is as real as the idea "Thinking exists" and as real as Thinking itself. WOW! But Thinking in actuality can not exist and not exist simultaneously. The epistemological question now is: which one of these two ideas are the Truth corresponding to the actuality of Thinking? And how do we find this out?
Here we should make a clear distinction. We can surely experience both thoughts. The dual nature of thinking is such that to any statement we can formulate also its negation. This is important to keep in mind because we never lose the ability to doubt in the intellect. The moment I return from the Imaginative state to the decohered intellectual state, I can immediately doubt the reality of what I experienced just an instant ago. This is not to imply that the higher perceptions are less certain than the sensory but only to say that it is in principle possible to doubt - there's no force that forbids me to. In the same way if I close my eyes now, I can doubt if the perceptions of the monitor in front of me were really 'there' (I'm speaking only of the perceptions, not the monitor-in-itself).

The word 'real' is a little slippery to use. For example Dennett says that the experience of Thinking is an illusion. If he is to be consistent, he would have to say "But the experience of the illusion is real". He'll probably not do that but instead his 'truth' will consist in the perpetual denial of anything real. In other words, the only implicitly real thing for him (of course it will never be called real explicitly) is the ability to perpetually deny the real.

It's obvious that the whole problem comes from the implicit dualism in thinking. From the onset, thinking has already divided the world content into two categories - real and illusion. In our age this split is not something that the thinker consciously chooses. It is much rather unknowingly contracted from the environment, so to speak. That's why it's so difficult to point it out - the thinker doesn't remember to have ever made such a splitting decision. For him this is simply how the world is. In this sense, asking if thinking is real, implicitly assumes the Kantian divide and asks if there's something in the 'real' world-in-itself out there, which corresponds to the subjective experience of thinking. I think this has been dealt with sufficiently in this forum (including Ashvin's repost of his essay).

Assuming that we're free from the Kantian divide, we can still formulate the two thoughts - thinking exists of doesn't exist. We're not asking if thinking-in-itself exists outside consciousness but simply if the experience exists. As long as the two statements exist only as valid syntactic structures, they are both valid. But we must be clear that they have also semantics which go beyond the arrangement of words themselves. We can be content with both statements only if we ignore the fact that they are statements about something. If we expand the sphere of inquiry in this way, one of them aligns with the facts while the other contradicts them. As soon as we become aware that the statement itself is already a thinking act, one of the statements becomes the confirmation of the act while the other, its denial.

The above comes to show that things are undecidable only if we assume consciously or unconsciously, the Kantian divide and imagine that thinking speaks about things that will forever remain beyond the sphere of what can be immediately known. When thinking works in its own element (idea) then the thinking judgments are either consonant with the overall curvature of meaning or dissonant to it. The same holds for 2+2=4 and 2+2=5. They are both arrangements of mathematical symbols but one of them aligns with the mathematical landscape while the other doesn't.

So we see that we can never assert truth in isolation. We can speak of truth only in the sense of the harmony of the facts. This holds also for higher cognition. Supersensible perceptions don't come to us with labels true or false. All of them are realities but they align in different degrees to the overall ideal landscape.

Having said that, it can be mentioned that what we consider false statements are much more potent in the higher realms. As a matter of fact much of our world wouldn't exist if that was not the case.

Let's consider something as "the Earth is flat". In our ordinary life we see this as a statement about the geometry of the planet which can be confirmed or disproved when related with the totality of the facts. But in the soul (astral) world this statement has its own life. In the astral world we meet a being which is completely real, it goes through its own evolution. Just think how this idea is something much more for human life than mere geometric statement. Books are written, websites are created, conferences are held, whole human destinies are intertwined with this idea. The idea is the soul substance that they breathe, what forms part of their reality. Just as covid, this idea-being lives its life through humans. It expands, grows. In the astral world this is an objective process. The intellect will say "nonsense, the idea exists only in the minds of the individual persons and they simply synchronize their activities based on it". And thinking like this is at the core of the dead end into which human affairs are going. It's simple refusal to go deeper in the facts. It's like claiming that all compass needles have their own opinion but secretly whisper to each other in what direction to turn such that they can fool humans that there's such thing as magnetic field.

Every idea, irrelevant if true or false, in the astral is a real being that goes through development. As strange as this may sound, these ideas actually 'fight' each other. Not with astral fists and swords but they compete for the same astral substrate that allows their consciousness to expand. They want to grow and use human astral bodies as their organs. This being is something versatile. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even need to understand geometry. It needs certain patterns of movement of soul activity which reflect its consciousness. The geometric statement in human souls is only a fertile soil where this being can proliferate its patterns and strengthen its consciousness. So we see that Pratchett was on to something when he comically describes how men give powers to their gods through their faith in them.

Many secrets will be unveiled when people begin to understand these things. Most urgently - those that are related to social life and the life of nations. As long as we don't realize that the social and national moods are flowing within higher order curvature of meaning, we'll remain as puppets on strings in the hands of deeper forces. No amount of legislation, treaties, protests and so on will normalize the situation.

Now the above may sound to some as confirmation that every truth is relative and reality consists in perpetual conflict of group beings. But this is not the case. The being of the flat Earth has conditions for existence only in particular epoch of Cosmic development in the same way certain weeds have their season of bloom. As a contrived example, if we imagine that space travel becomes routine matter as taking a cab, the conditions for the existence of this being will deteriorate. It will either disappear or will be forced to adapt to different kind of existence. There's One ideal landscape, One coherent Idea of the World, One curvature of meaning. All those beings that have their existence based on currents that don't align with the Cosmic curvature, are forced to change as the Cosmic curvature metamorphoses. But as long as the conditions still exist, these beings form a kind of tumorous existence on top of the lawful Cosmic organism.

I know that this will evoke resentment in many who value their 'freedom' and will say "I would rather die as a tumor than be a slave to the Whole". Well, this is really the whole drama of the fallen evolutionary scenario. It is true that living in a tumorous reality presents unique experiences. Yet the possibilities of a healthy body are immeasurably greater than those of a diseased body laying in the hospis. Yes, we're servants of the good healthy habits but what we reap as a result is multiplied thousandfold in the degrees of freedom we have. The Truth is not there to tell what each one shall do with their freedom but to reveal what are the lawful consequences of each path.

As we can see, in the higher worlds there isn't something that is not real. Everything is real in a much higher degree than what we know through our intellectual-sensory consciousness. The question is no longer is this real or illusion, is this true or false but how this fits in the grand scheme of things? Even a hallucination has its lawful explanation if consciousness expands to encompass the currents that have led to its manifestation. And this job is by no means easy. That's why Steiner has stressed on every occasion how important it is to learn to think properly before we even decide to get anywhere near the threshold. Those who judge reality through their sympathies and antipathies are the easiest victims in the higher worlds. There one becomes a puppet on invisible strings in much greater degree than this is the case in ordinary consciousness. Only through tireless integrating of everything into the harmony of the facts, is it possible to find the proper place of everything in the Cosmic curvature of meaning.

It is about time to overcome the childish conception that Truth can be found in some statement of the intellect and framed on the wall to be bowed at as an icon. We can't simply stare at a phrase and ask "but is this true or false". We should much rather get an organic feeling of Truth. Our existence is a constant metamorphosis, a growth process, and every thought, idea, feeling, act is like nutrition for this process, it interferes with it, changes the growth rate, causes bigger of shriveled leaves, modifies the colors of the flowers and so on. We can never grasp things in this way as long as we insist on seeing thinking as phantom layer of meaning that builds a mental picture of existence and then asks if reality is really like that picture. Thinking must penetrate reality as the mycelium network does the substrate and then we become much more aware of the curvature of meaning and how feelings, will and thinking itself modify that curvature, how they enclose it into a tumorous growth or unveil, elucidate and vivify it.