Phenomenological idealism: definitions of common terms

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Eugene I

Re: Phenomenological idealism: definitions of common terms

Post by Eugene I »

Cleric K wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:39 pm These are such exciting topics that I can keep writing on and on. But it is enough for now. Let's first see if what was so far described could be followed, not simply theoretically but in living meditative experience.
Cleric, this is very insightful post indeed, I can see that you are intimately familiar with these practices.

Indeed, in my own meditative practice I've been diverting from the passive Buddhist meditation for a while already exactly for the reasons you outlined. Their practices are mostly passive, or at most involve insight investigation of the given (like in Vipassana), but mostly ignore mastering the dimensions of intentionality and of the meaning. This experiential Reality (whatever we call it: Thinking, Consciousness - these are just pointers) is not just Awareness with perceptions and thoughts popping out and subsiding, it has these mysterious dimensions of creativity (ability to manifest and cognize forms), intentionality, and dimension of meanings. Buddhists, in their most advanced Dzogchen school, did acknowledge that Nirmanakaya (the dimension of form creating activity) is the inseparable aspect of the Dharmata - of the Wholeness, together with Sambhogakaya (Clarity-Awareness) and Dharmakaya (Emptiness), but their meditation methods were still mostly about passively observing it. These practices definitely have merits, but they are still limited, as you said it as well. But anyway, I've indeed been including in my practice the meditation on the intentional and meaningful dimensions without leaving the state of the awareness of the space of awareness. In this way I can be fully aware of all that is involved in the process of intentional bringing forth of ideas and experiencing their meanings, and also more closely be aware of the richness of the meanings. We usually think of a meaning as just something single and simple, but if we closely investigate and intuit into any meaning, we will discover that it is actually a rich and ever-evolving manifold with multiple facets and interconnections with the world of other related meanings.

And you are right about formless and forms - we've been just using different terminology pointing to the same reality all along. I was not sure what you were referring to with the word "Idea", thanks for clarifying. I think the challenge of what we are doing here is to connect the words other people are using with the actual experiential realities that they can experience from 1-st person perspective, and this is what most of the confusion is coming from.

And yes, I followed your meditation and found it quite close to what I've been doing. It's also useful because it is natural to extend it to our life beyond meditation which is mostly active, in this way we learn how to perform activities without losing the awareness of the space of awareness and awareness of the intentional activity itself. I'm definitely open to enhance my practice, please keep posting.
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
Martin_

Post by Martin_ »

Thank you Cleric. Your last post has finally convinced me that there's absolutely no point for me to read Steiner.
You say it better. You have the rigor. You, I understand. (Most of the time)

Steiner is from a different time, different battle, different audience, and different background. If i want to 'get' Steiner, I'd need to do a year of background reading to understand the context he's coming from and in the end, I'd just arrive at somewhere I've been all along.

Why are we talking about him so much again? ;-p
"I don't understand." /Unknown
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Martin_ wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:27 am Thank you Cleric. Your last post has finally convinced me that there's absolutely no point for me to read Steiner.
You say it better. You have the rigor. You, I understand. (Most of the time)

Steiner is from a different time, different battle, different audience, and different background. If i want to 'get' Steiner, I'd need to do a year of background reading to understand the context he's coming from and in the end, I'd just arrive at somewhere I've been all along.

Why are we talking about him so much again? ;-p

It's worth pointing out that Steiner himself makes what you say above very clear - his entire 'mission' was to help develop free individuals who are capable of dispersing this higher knowledge in new ways, appropriate to the circumstances, and Cleric is a great example of that.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Martin_

Post by Martin_ »

I've personally been referring to Goethe's Idea as the "Field of Meaning", and I totally agree that it wouldn't be particurlarly surprising, if it turned out to be quite fundamental.
"I don't understand." /Unknown
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Eugene I wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:59 am And you are right about formless and forms - we've been just using different terminology pointing to the same reality all along. I was not sure what you were referring to with the word "Idea", thanks for clarifying. I think the challenge of what we are doing here is to connect the words other people are using with the actual experiential realities that they can experience from 1-st person perspective, and this is what most of the confusion is coming from.
Thank you Eugene. It's a great joy to feel the synchronization of ideas. It is indeed the challenge of our times that it is no longer a question to synchronize the same abstract ideas that are only representations of the supposed world-in-itself, but instead to realize that it is our first person perspectives that must be understood. Relativity, QBism, Rovelli's interpretation, all gradually lead towards this in their abstract ways. The difficulty is that we need to be able to speak clearly about the inner realm, and this is still a matter of prejudice in the secular world, where the inner world is considered intimate and private affair, where we can at most allow some psychologist to have a glimpse, similarly to the way we allow only doctors to examine some parts of our bodies.

Things really begin to gain momentum when we are open for the possibility that the formless is actually lawful. Lawful not in the way the physicist considers matter to be lawful and the meaning of the laws to exist only in the illusion of consciousness, but lawfulness which is in itself meaning. The formless is formless only in relation to our intellectual thoughts which are condensed symbols from the dimension of meaning. We can borrow also Bohm's terminology who speaks of implicit and explicit order. In the GR metaphor I meant the curvature of meaning precisely as the implicit order of the formless. It is here that opinions may bifurcate. For example, for Adur the implicit order is only the Absolute Nothingness. Human-like egos simply emerge from it ready-made and begin to shape the explicit order (the world content) through their imaginations synchronized by the principle of consistency. As said in a previous post, we can convince ourselves that even our own knowledge, memories, desires, hopes, fears and so on, are experienced only through the tiniest aperture at any single moment. All of these can be considered to belong to the implicit order, the formless, the curvature of meaning. Whether we like it or not, our states of being continually flow along the geodesics of this implicit order. The battle for the souls today is to awaken to the fact that in Thinking we have the only place where we know exactly how the implicit order becomes explicit. In thinking we feel as the active engineers of the curvature gradient which condenses meaning from the implicit order into explicit thought-phenomena.

I often speak about humility and the mood of prayer. I sincerely hope this can be seen now in its proper light. It's not about forming a sphere of ideas within awareness and bow to it. It's the simple realization that from the standpoint of our ordinary consciousness we don't control the implicit order. We're flowing within it and in general we don't know where it is leading us. The whole question of freedom has to do with understanding the relations of the local curvature gradient at which we feel consciously active, to the Cosmic formless within which we flow. Our life conduct is directly determined through our attitude towards the implicit order. First we must be clear with ourselves if we allow for this formless order to be meaningful. If it is not, we drop into Schop's mysticism, materialism, pan-psychism and so on. If we allow it to be meaningful, things can bifurcate once more. One variant is to accept it as a kind of theism where, however, our conscious view of the explicit order is completely opaque to the implicit. The other variant is to understand that there's really only one side of existence, which we experience polarized into explicit and implicit order, and where our thinking is the gradient of their transduction.

If this is understood, there also naturally opens the possibility for the higher forms of cognition where spiritual activity can live in the higher order curvature of the implicit order and investigate how the intellectual states of being normally flow along its geodesics. We need the humility and mood of prayer because it is beyond the power of the intellect to trespass into the implicit order through its own forces. There's no such train of logical thoughts where the last thought in the line somehow turns to be the implicit order. This can never be the case. Adding pears can't produce apples. Drawing lines in a plane can never somehow protrude into the third dimension. Intellectual thinking is like a specific "state of aggregation" between the implicit and explicit order. States of being are allowed to transition only along concrete nodes of the formless 'crystal lattice'. No amount of jumping along the nodes can change the mode. The only way is to realize thinking as the expression of spiritual activity which is active along the gradient between the implicit and explicit order of meaning.

To approach this, we concentrate the intellect and live continually in the very stream that condenses the formless meaning into the symbol of concentration. We can imagine this as a vortex. In intellectual life we experience a thought as the tip of this vortex and we jump from one such tip to another. Through concentration we stabilize one such vortex and try to live in the very act of condensation of meaning into the point of concentration. The vortex is infinite, it swirls around and expands into the periphery of the formless. Yet through concentration, around its apex gradually expands a panoramic image - which is still only explicit content in awareness, it's just an image, we should never forget that - which however begins to reflect the meaning of more and more of the implicit order. Initially this order elucidates primarily the phenomena of our individual life of thinking, feeling and willing. But as it becomes richer and richer it reflects more and more of the ways our flow of being is embedded in the Cosmic implicit flow.

I'll take a break now from the forum, as writing here has paused my other writing. But in a way I'm glad that it happened in this way because hopefully we've cleared the ground some more. I realize that my slow progress with the essays build up unnecessary suspense. Please don't expect anything spectacular in order not to be disappointed. These are all ideas that are 'in the air' of our epoch. We're not really inventing anything revolutionary here. It's much more a matter of realizing the stumbling blocks which, just as with Goethe realized, otherwise prevent us to see things in the right way.
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Martin_ wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:27 am Why are we talking about him so much again? ;-p
Why? :)

Maybe because the brightest heads of our time, which are supposed to be on the bleeding edge of discovery, haven't even heard of PoF, let alone understand its essential core. I hope it is getting clearer and clearer that when we speak of PoF it's not about some novel someone wrote. It's about inner orientation within our own being. Just like a book on anatomy can speak of the heart, lungs and so on, so in PoF we have the essentials of orienting ourselves as a spiritual being. It is fascinating but as spiritual beings on Earth, people today don't know what is up, what is down, what is front, what is back. Spirits are simply floating along a flow of imagery as leaves on a stream and dreaming theories about the stream-in-itself. If it wasn't Steiner it would be someone else. History works in such a way that it is always someone who is the bearer of a new evolutionary impulse. If Newton didn't give mechanics, it would be someone else. The question is not why Steiner but do we understand the impulse that has been brought on the scene of evolution? Judging by the bright minds at the bleeding edge, we can see quite clearly that this is not in the least the case, as they one by one capitulate at the Great Kantian Wall.
findingblanks

Post by findingblanks »

Yeah, exactly. I was merely pointing out that if Scott was suggesting that Steiner wanted his core philosophical texts not to be read as epistemology, this would be off. And trying to read them primarily as phenomenological will be very misleading for this reason. However, to the extent that we are practicing those texts in some way via meditation/contemplation, then, yes, we can start sharing the phenomenology observed.
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

Cleric K wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:01 am To approach this, we concentrate the intellect and live continually in the very stream that condenses the formless meaning into the symbol of concentration. We can imagine this as a vortex. In intellectual life we experience a thought as the tip of this vortex and we jump from one such tip to another. Through concentration we stabilize one such vortex and try to live in the very act of condensation of meaning into the point of concentration. The vortex is infinite, it swirls around and expands into the periphery of the formless. Yet through concentration, around its apex gradually expands a panoramic image - which is still only explicit content in awareness, it's just an image, we should never forget that - which however begins to reflect the meaning of more and more of the implicit order. Initially this order elucidates primarily the phenomena of our individual life of thinking, feeling and willing. But as it becomes richer and richer it reflects more and more of the ways our flow of being is embedded in the Cosmic implicit flow.

I'll take a break now from the forum, as writing here has paused my other writing. But in a way I'm glad that it happened in this way because hopefully we've cleared the ground some more. I realize that my slow progress with the essays build up unnecessary suspense. Please don't expect anything spectacular in order not to be disappointed. These are all ideas that are 'in the air' of our epoch. We're not really inventing anything revolutionary here. It's much more a matter of realizing the stumbling blocks which, just as with Goethe realized, otherwise prevent us to see things in the right way.
Thanks Cleric, insightful as usual. Looking forward to your new writings.

My comment: you are definitely right when talking about implicit and explicit order and our participation etc. However, the "implicit order" is not what I meant by "formless". I'm approaching it from my experience of being immersed in non-dual practices. In these practices the "formless" is an inseparable aspect of Thinking, which is simply that the Thinking "IS" and that it is "Aware" (i.e. it consciously experiences all its ideas), this is not what brings the order, but what makes Thinking possible. This may seem obvious: duhh, or course Thinking "is" and is "aware", how could it be otherwise, what's the point of even talking about it? Well, the point is: is brings the awareness of the dimension of unity - all Thinking is unified in its (formless) aspects of Being and Awareness, and the spiritual benefit of such realization was realized in the non-dual traditions, and also by such philosophers as Fichte and Heidegger in the West. But in addition to that, Thinking is also unified in its shared ideal content and order. These two aspects of unity go together with each other, not against each other. We don't need to confront them and claim that one kind of unity is more important or more true than the other, they are both true and realizing both helps to dismantle dualism.

Another thing to note here is a "pedagogical" aspect. There are a lot of people that, like me, are or have been involved and influenced by the non-dual practices, many of them believing that once they achieve so-called non-dual realization, they are done, but such position brings them to stagnation. The new paradigm of the PoF opens them the doors for continuing along the venues of the spiritual evolution. But if we take a confrontational approach, start banging their heads with the PoF book and say: you guys are doing it all wrong, dump it and adopt the PoF approach, then they will simply resist and ignore it or confront. But we can take an integrative and encompassing approach and say: what you are doing is right and helpful, it is just not the whole story but only one aspect of it, it is not wrong but only insufficient, you can continue your practice but just try to look beyond it.
Last edited by Eugene I on Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
findingblanks

Post by findingblanks »

Martin, it can sometimes help to keep in mind that Steiner wrote The Philosophy of Freedom in his early thirties and that he fully expected his mentors and those he wrote it for to grasp it's essence and be persuaded. His sweet letters to his friend Rosa are one of the sources we can read to learn of the sorrow and deep disappointment he felt as he realized that he hadn't made himself clear to those people he most wished to engage. These are not the letters of a sage who knowingly planted a seed that would not be understood for decades or centuries. This was an enthusiastic young man who felt he had captured lightening a bottle and we already to help set a new collective course, at least amongst those thinkers he was most occupied with at the time. It is very sweet. It can help to read his young letters, especially when he exclaims about the ecstatic state he entered when reading Fichte. These letters can all be found in various published volumes of his letters. They can also be found online in the archives. But they've changed the titles enough that I can't remember the best search words. I used to find them by searching under, Rosa Mayreder, his dear friend from those years, an early feminist whom Steiner often confided his deepest longings and worries.

Another random tidbit that could be helpful for some but not most:

Steiner was fully away that his text The Philosophy of Freedom was not describing a path that other's should take. In fact, he was clear that others would necessarily should be describing something different than what he describes in PoF: In a letter to his friend Rosa:

"In any event, I believe I would have fallen had I immediately attempted to seek the most appropriate paths for others..."

He wanted, he says, to describe his own path and he also states he had no idea what to expect. "Only when one has arrived at the goal, does one know one is there.” Some find it useful to let this idea guide them when they hear other people talking about these works as if it is relatively clear what marks having achieved the experience/understanding being aimed for.

Steiner deeply had wished that Eduard von Hartmann would understand The Philosophy of Freedom. Unfortunately, he did not change von Hartmann's mind. However, we can imagine that von Hartmann's complimentary letter to Steiner at least provided some balm. Von Hartmann told Steiner that Steiner was always very skillful at making highly abstract matters clear and precise.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Cleric K wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:34 am Judging by the bright minds at the bleeding edge, we can see quite clearly that this is not in the least the case, as they one by one capitulate at the Great Kantian Wall.
I suppose that this once again implicates BK's take on idealism. At the very least BK is endeavouring to overcome the materialist subject/object segregated divide. If anything, for BK it's really more an apparency of a relational subject><object feedback-loop dynamic, which is the very driver of ideational evolution, whereby the sole absolute Mind and its expressing/experiencing/exploring as an infinitude of inter-being minds are not-two—just as in the analogy of a whirlpool and an ocean having no impenetrable boundary between them, with any apparent boundary actually being the nexus of interchange. In which case how can even the so-called Kantian divide apply, as the 'whirlpool' can only ever be informed by the 'ocean'? I'm not even sure how the ideating Mind and its expressing/experiencing/exploring as an infinitude of inter-being minds are not pretty much synonomous.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.