How to talk about God: on why God is not an object

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Steve Petermann

Re: How to talk about God: on why God is not an object

Post by Steve Petermann »

Lou Gold wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:10 pm And this precisely is the paradoxical problematic under dualism. Power may be used or abused. Evocation arrives with an evil twin -- light/dark, good/evil, love/hate, God/Satan -- and some of the greatest atrocities are executed with good intentions. The Inquisition was an attempt to rid the world of evil forces and, one of the three leading ideologies of the 20th Century was Nazism. As an ideology, it carried the intention of creating a better world. It's interesting to contemplate a list of more famous Nazi ideologues and subscribers.
Right, there is always an ambiguous choice to be made. However:
A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: “Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time.” When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied, “The one I feed the most.”unattributed
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Steve Petermann wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:10 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:10 pm And this precisely is the paradoxical problematic under dualism. Power may be used or abused. Evocation arrives with an evil twin -- light/dark, good/evil, love/hate, God/Satan -- and some of the greatest atrocities are executed with good intentions. The Inquisition was an attempt to rid the world of evil forces and, one of the three leading ideologies of the 20th Century was Nazism. As an ideology, it carried the intention of creating a better world. It's interesting to contemplate a list of more famous Nazi ideologues and subscribers.
Right, there is always an ambiguous choice to be made. However:
A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: “Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time.” When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied, “The one I feed the most.”unattributed
Steve, this story is a common New Age trope. Another legend goes to Saint Francis and the Wolf of Gubbio where the Saint cuts a deal whereby the terrible wolf agrees to be kind if the townspeople feed him. On the other hand, and probably a more indigenous view that equates true spirit with wild animal nature, there's an Eskimo saying, "Gifts turn wolves into dogs."
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Steve Petermann

Post by Steve Petermann »

Lou Gold wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:38 pm Steve, this story is a common New Age trope. Another legend goes to Saint Francis and the Wolf of Gubbio where the Saint cuts a deal whereby the terrible wolf agrees to be kind if the townspeople feed him. On the other hand, and probably a more indigenous view that equates true spirit with wild animal nature, there's an Eskimo saying, "Gifts turn wolves into dogs."
My apologies to the Native Americans. How ever it came to be I think there is some element of truth to it. Just like the "You are what you eat" saying.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Steve Petermann wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:06 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:38 pm Steve, this story is a common New Age trope. Another legend goes to Saint Francis and the Wolf of Gubbio where the Saint cuts a deal whereby the terrible wolf agrees to be kind if the townspeople feed him. On the other hand, and probably a more indigenous view that equates true spirit with wild animal nature, there's an Eskimo saying, "Gifts turn wolves into dogs."
My apologies to the Native Americans. How ever it came to be I think there is some element of truth to it. Just like the "You are what you eat" saying.
Well, apparently we have to also apologize to the Inuit as well, for referring to them as Eskimos, and naming football teams with that moniker. Anyway, I agree, even if the fable is not of genuine indigenous origin, it offers a valid lesson, that insofar as we focus obsessively on negativity, and fear-based energies, and react in kind, we are feeding into, and sustaining them, little different than the lesson of 'What you sow, so shall you reap.'
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:32 pm
Steve Petermann wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:06 pm
Well, apparently we have to also apologize to the Inuit as well, for referring to them as Eskimos, and naming football teams with that moniker. Anyway, I agree, even if the fable is not of genuine indigenous origin, it offers a valid lesson, that insofar as we focus obsessively on negativity, and fear-based energies, and react in kind, we are feeding into, and sustaining them, little different than the lesson of 'What you sow, so shall you reap.'
Yup guys, probably Inuit and a bad slip into cultural appropriation on my part. Just the way, I recalled the story I guess. To repent, let me offer the story of the Inuit who asks the priest, "If one knows nothing of sin, will one go to hell?" The priest says, "No." The Inuit asks, "Then why did you tell me about it?"
lorenzop

Post by lorenzop »

Here is a short and simple to follow video from Bishop Barron on topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zMf_8hkCdc&t=4s
and second with relevance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZkHv8iTJPo

BTW, if in conversation with a militant atheist (not recommended), and one defines or references God as not an object, they tend to scream 'special pleading, special pleading'
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

lorenzop wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:06 pm BTW, if in conversation with a militant atheist (not recommended), and one defines or references God as not an object, they tend to scream 'special pleading, special pleading'
I'd just go with the ever-present Origin is not an object, and confuse the shit out of them ;)
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:13 pm
lorenzop wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:06 pm BTW, if in conversation with a militant atheist (not recommended), and one defines or references God as not an object, they tend to scream 'special pleading, special pleading'
I'd just go with the ever-present Origin is not an object, and confuse the shit out of them ;)
I'm surprised to find that some militant atheists are not unduly provoked by the term 'great mysteriousness' if used in the sense that there's a lot to be curious about and investigate.