How to talk about God: on why God is not an object

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Soul_of_Shu

Re: How to talk about God: on why God is not an object

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Also of note, to put a merely quantitative spin on it, the Pageau lecture on Peterson's channel now at over 200,000 views in 48 hours.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Update: Both BK and Essentia 'liked' my tweet above ... Could this be the start of a beautiful, numinous bromance?
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:36 pm Update: Both BK and Essentia 'liked' my tweet above ... Could this be the start of a beautiful, numinous bromance?

Well much earlier this year I thought I had secured an interview between J Pageau and BK when they both replied to my tweet suggesting it, saying they were "up for it", but nothing happened since then, and I tweeted a reminder at both of them a few times. Clearly BK would do it, but it seems Pageau just isn't interested anymore.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Steve Petermann wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:08 pm
Soul_of_Shu wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:57 pm Was John Wheeler quoting God, when he said: There is no 'out there' out there.

And then God said: 'Let there be an out there' ... Well sort of
"And God said, Let there be light: and there was light." It could be said that a large portion of religious adherents are "people of the Word". This is certainly true of the Abrahamic traditions as well as many stemming from the Vedic traditions and others. While "the Words" may contain propositional content, they are more than that. They contain power -- "and there was light". Words and language are not just sterile, dry propositional content. They are evocative. They draw forth something deep within the psyche. While words (language) offer concrete primitives strung together, they can also evoke gestalts or supra-rational intuitions that form a basis for how we perceive ourselves within the cosmos and beyond and inform how we should live.
Well said, Steve.

Obviously, there is the word and the Word. The egoic challenge is to not get caught in an addiction to power, which is why the Bhagavad Gita advises one to enter the battle but offer the fruits of victory to God. The carpenter and not the hammer builds the house. Honor God by learning to use the ego tool correctly, how and when and for whose benefit. This "knowing" or wisdom is an ongoing process of perfection. As incomplete and yet divine beings, we have much work to do. May we work well.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Steve Petermann wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:08 pm
Soul_of_Shu wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:57 pm Was John Wheeler quoting God, when he said: There is no 'out there' out there.

And then God said: 'Let there be an out there' ... Well sort of
"And God said, Let there be light: and there was light." It could be said that a large portion of religious adherents are "people of the Word". This is certainly true of the Abrahamic traditions as well as many stemming from the Vedic traditions and others. While "the Words" may contain propositional content, they are more than that. They contain power -- "and there was light". Words and language are not just sterile, dry propositional content. They are evocative. They draw forth something deep within the psyche. While words (language) offer concrete primitives strung together, they can also evoke gestalts or supra-rational intuitions that form a basis for how we perceive ourselves within the cosmos and beyond and inform how we should live.

Well said again. And it can be further said that it is precisely the Light which has been involuting into the outwardly sense-perceptible world, culminating with the Incarnation, and then evolving through each individual's inner Light of cognition. That is how the abstract intellectual veil over our "supra-rational intuitions" is lifted and we come to know those veiled cognitions in the full clarity of waking consciousness, with the full dimensionality and richness of their meaning.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

AshvinP wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:12 am Well much earlier this year I thought I had secured an interview between J Pageau and BK when they both replied to my tweet suggesting it, saying they were "up for it", but nothing happened since then, and I tweeted a reminder at both of them a few times. Clearly BK would do it, but it seems Pageau just isn't interested anymore.
Yeah, who knows what's going on there. Maybe each one is just waiting for the other to extend an invite and initiate the process. Clearly BK is more inclined to be an invitee, and not since back in the day when he did those 'inception dialogues' on his YT channel, can I recall him offering to host a discussion. Could be that Pageau just has a backlog of interviewees who he feels much affinity with—many of them the artistically inclined— who are more of a priority for him, and so BK is just not at the top of the list. Or maybe upon further reflection he just doesn't feel it would be a good fit. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if either of them wants to make it a priority.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:48 pm
AshvinP wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:12 am Well much earlier this year I thought I had secured an interview between J Pageau and BK when they both replied to my tweet suggesting it, saying they were "up for it", but nothing happened since then, and I tweeted a reminder at both of them a few times. Clearly BK would do it, but it seems Pageau just isn't interested anymore.
Yeah, who knows what's going on there. Maybe each one is just waiting for the other to extend an invite and initiate the process. Clearly BK is more inclined to be an invitee, and not since back in the day when he did those 'inception dialogues' on his YT channel, can I recall him offering to host a discussion. Could be that Pageau just has a backlog of interviewees who he feels much affinity with—many of them the artistically inclined— who are more of a priority for him, and so BK is just not at the top of the list. Or maybe upon further reflection he just doesn't feel it would be a good fit. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if either of them wants to make it a priority.
fwiw, it looks like Dr. McGilchrist has joined Essentia's "academic advisory board" (whatever that is), which could be interesting. He has a new book called "The Matter with Things" and generally seems like a spiritual thinker, but I haven't read the book or heard him speak about it yet. Also BK tweeted something about him confirming he is a "metaphysical idealist". Which could be a good or a bad thing in terms of his understanding... for reasons we have outlined at length here.

Anthony66

Post by Anthony66 »

AshvinP wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:02 pm
Soul_of_Shu wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:48 pm
fwiw, it looks like Dr. McGilchrist has joined Essentia's "academic advisory board" (whatever that is), which could be interesting. He has a new book called "The Matter with Things" and generally seems like a spiritual thinker, but I haven't read the book or heard him speak about it yet. Also BK tweeted something about him confirming he is a "metaphysical idealist". Which could be a good or a bad thing in terms of his understanding... for reasons we have outlined at length here.

Check this out:
https://www.essentiafoundation.org/seei ... swFIhGXXdA
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Steve Petermann wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:08 pm "And God said, Let there be light: and there was light." It could be said that a large portion of religious adherents are "people of the Word". This is certainly true of the Abrahamic traditions as well as many stemming from the Vedic traditions and others. While "the Words" may contain propositional content, they are more than that. They contain power -- "and there was light". Words and language are not just sterile, dry propositional content. They are evocative. They draw forth solist of its more famous ideologues and subscribers.mething deep within the psyche. While words (language) offer concrete primitives strung together, they can also evoke gestalts or supra-rational intuitions that form a basis for how we perceive ourselves within the cosmos and beyond and inform how we should live.
Steve,

I very much agree, "While "the Words" may contain propositional content, they are more than that. They contain power -- "and there was light". Words and language are not just sterile, dry propositional content. They are evocative."

And this precisely is the paradoxical problematic under dualism. Power may be used or abused. Evocation arrives with an evil twin -- light/dark, good/evil, love/hate, God/Satan -- and some of the greatest atrocities are executed with good intentions. The Inquisition was an attempt to rid the world of evil forces and, one of the three leading ideologies of the 20th Century was Nazism. As an ideology, it carried the intention of creating a better world. It's interesting to contemplate a list of more famous Nazi ideologues and subscribers.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love