(mis)understanding

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
findingblanks

(mis)understanding

Post by findingblanks »

If the understanding being grasped and fully intuited is not any representation, then what it it? Or, maybe: when there is utterly no representation happening and you're not dead, what's there?

Different models and schemas will demand this receive different kinds of responses? In fact, they some will demand the question itself be rephrased. This is wonderful in that the very demand means that the question was 'grasped' beyond the symbols chosen to express it. I'm good with that.

Or, in other words:

No representation (set of symbols that point) is the understanding.

How does your 'way' talk about the understanding's spiritual yearning to be misrepresented to some extent. Or, does anybody have a 'way' that would claim the understanding years to be accurately represented only? We can imagine how one more cup of coffee could have prompted the great thinker to scrap his most recent articulations of the understanding and try again, coming up with a new set of representations that he thought were 'more accurate' than the last attempt. And again and again. And we can imagine that different people would have found different scraps of the thrown away paper to have 'better, more accurately' represented the understanding. And so the understanding yearns to be (mis)-represented. Over and over.

Yes, that'll need to be reformulated for some. That's very fair.

I know Lou has some beautiful ways of talking about this.
lorenzop

Re: (mis)understanding

Post by lorenzop »

The classic analogy from Vedanta, and in the spirit of keeping things simple; is the rope and the snake. Walking in the forest, getting dark, Oh a snake, I must run. The snake, which was never there, is 'removed' by bringing in light, or clarity. Don't analyse the dark, bring in that which opposes the dark, bring in light.
findingblanks

Post by findingblanks »

Thanks, Lorenzop.

Sticking with that analogy, I'm not sure we'd ever know or need to care if we are seeing a rope or a snake. Now, once we step on it, that's another story :)
Ben Iscatus

Post by Ben Iscatus »

Now, once we step on it, that's another story :)
It bites us thus
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

lorenzop wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:59 pm The classic analogy from Vedanta, and in the spirit of keeping things simple; is the rope and the snake. Walking in the forest, getting dark, Oh a snake, I must run. The snake, which was never there, is 'removed' by bringing in light, or clarity. Don't analyse the dark, bring in that which opposes the dark, bring in light.
Yup! The confusion, I suspect, is between to 'comprehend' (to intellectually grasp) and to 'understand' (stand under reality).
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love