Nietzsche vis-a-vis Schopenhauer vis-a-vis Buddhism

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Soul_of_Shu

Nietzsche vis-a-vis Schopenhauer vis-a-vis Buddhism

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

From yet another good metaphysically focused channel, this exploration of the overlap between the ideas of Nietzsche/Schopenhauer/Buddha offers a critique of some common misunderstandings and misinterpretations of how their respective philosophies are interrelated ...

Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Starbuck

Re: Nietzsche vis-a-vis Schopenhauer vis-a-vis Buddhism

Post by Starbuck »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:59 pm From yet another good metaphysically focused channel, this exploration of the overlap between the ideas of Nietzsche/Schopenhauer/Buddha offers a critique of some common misunderstandings and misinterpretations of how their respective philosophies are interrelated ...

Thankyou! Very good reading of Nietzsche and Buddhism by the author of that video.

Good to remember that exposure to Buddhism was very scanty up until the 20th century, and may interpretations were made second hand. I think Nietzsche would have reformulated his stance (and acknowledged the parallels) had he been privy to contemporary sources and interpretations.

I also think that Schopenhauer can only be considered a nihilist to the same extent that the Buddha himself was a nihilist - which is not at all. You could argue that he did not practice the 8 fold path and was subject to a lot of suffering in his life which comes across in his writing. However, for him to get as close as he did to conceptions of nibbana and samsara is truly staggering.
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Nietzsche rebels against the Apollonian (Harmony and Order as ideals of Christianity, Buddhism, etc.) by going Dionysian full way. Here's interesting reading of N. as gradually intensifying possession by Dionysos, reading Nietzsche's text as word of a god (who's name in Greek is Son of God):

AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

SanteriSatama wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:52 pm Nietzsche rebels against the Apollonian (Harmony and Order as ideals of Christianity, Buddhism, etc.) by going Dionysian full way. Here's interesting reading of N. as gradually intensifying possession by Dionysos, reading Nietzsche's text as word of a god (who's name in Greek is Son of God):
That was Jung's assessment of Nietzsche as well. In his early work, The Birth of Tragedy, Nietzsche recognized an eternal tension between the Apollonian and Dionysian which drives existence forwards as exemplified in Greek tragedies. 15-20 years later, he writes An Attempt at Self-Criticism to preface that same work, which demotes the Apollonian aspect as his ego becomes more identified with Dionysus. Jung, on the other hand, also gave into his mystical experiences wholesale, but somehow managed to break on through to the other side. I'm sure having Nietzsche as both an inspiration and a cautionary tale helped.

Personally I think of Nietzsche as the Michael Jordan of philosophy. You can criticize his personal choices and maybe some of his game, but you can't question the originality or the effectiveness. And there is simply no point in comparing his philosophy to anyone who came before or after.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:06 pm Jung, on the other hand, also gave into his mystical experiences wholesale, but somehow managed to break on through to the other side. I'm sure having Nietzsche as both an inspiration and a cautionary tale helped.
Jung was a family man, Nietzsche highly romantic ascetic who bottled up and channeled all his shakti into his philosophical/divine art. Staying grounded and balancing the flows generally helps to prevent head exploding into irreversible mania from trying to contain too much primal energy.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

SanteriSatama wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:37 pm
AshvinP wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:06 pm Jung, on the other hand, also gave into his mystical experiences wholesale, but somehow managed to break on through to the other side. I'm sure having Nietzsche as both an inspiration and a cautionary tale helped.
Jung was a family man, Nietzsche highly romantic ascetic who bottled up and channeled all his shakti into his philosophical/divine art. Staying grounded and balancing the flows generally helps to prevent head exploding into irreversible mania from trying to contain too much primal energy.
No doubt, but it seems there are also no guarantees. Jung kept a loaded pistol next to his bed during that period of unrestrained primal energy for a quick exit if necessary. I can only imagine what that must have been like...
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

SanteriSatama wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:52 pmNietzsche rebels against the Apollonian (Harmony and Order as ideals of Christianity, Buddhism, etc.) by going Dionysian full way. Here's interesting reading of N. as gradually intensifying possession by Dionysos, reading Nietzsche's text as word of a god (who's name in Greek is Son of God):

Great, another intriguing channel to keep one transfixed by the electron screen, and thus avoid shovelling the snow piling up in the driveway.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:53 pm No doubt, but it seems there are also no guarantees. Jung kept a loaded pistol next to his bed during that period of unrestrained primal energy for a quick exit if necessary. I can only imagine what that must have been like...
I've had friends who chose the suicide.

Terrible overflow of meaning and horrible fear of making a mistake, fear of using the energy possession wrong, and all kinds of stuff as synchronicities burst out in force etc. Dealing with fear comes usually first. Most don't go through it in West but take the pills ordered by white coats. Most people fall in crazy love during their lives, it's exactly like that and also different.

Maybe everybody dies during their transformation, but there are many ways to die, you can just lie down, stop breathing and imagine you are dead, for example, "survive" and accident or disease, visit the land of the dead, etc. I don't know what Jung says about integration of life and death.