Intuitive Idealism vs. Analytic Idealism (Part II): An alternative formulation of idealism

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: Intuitive Idealism vs. Analytic Idealism (Part II): An alternative formulation of idealism

Post by AshvinP »

Eugene I wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:43 am
AshvinP wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:32 am there are trans-cultural moral values, but some of them are "universal", some of them are "local", and they all really boil down to evolved mindless material processes, so the deep meaning we find in them is really just subjective fiction that most people have agreed to live by for convenience
And where exactly did I say that? :D

Right here:

"There are archetypes of global human collective, as well as more local archetypes associated with cultures, religions or other groups of interest (even including scientists and philosophers). Buddhist have their shared archetypes and structures, Christians also do, Anthroposophist do, UFO communicators do and every other group does."

The reason for challenging materialism, or what should be the reason, is not to prove we are smarter than materialists and the world is made of "mind" instead of "matter", but to avoid the dangerous fragmentation which results from their false and reductionist world-conception. If we substitute "mindless material processes" for "personal fantasies" and "localized archetypes", your reasoning is identical to theirs.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."
AshvinP

Re: Intuitive Idealism vs. Analytic Idealism (Part II): An alternative formulation of idealism

Post by AshvinP »

AshvinP wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:53 am
Eugene I wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:43 am
AshvinP wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:32 am there are trans-cultural moral values, but some of them are "universal", some of them are "local", and they all really boil down to evolved mindless material processes, so the deep meaning we find in them is really just subjective fiction that most people have agreed to live by for convenience
And where exactly did I say that? :D

Right here:

"There are archetypes of global human collective, as well as more local archetypes associated with cultures, religions or other groups of interest (even including scientists and philosophers). Buddhist have their shared archetypes and structures, Christians also do, Anthroposophist do, UFO communicators do and every other group does."

The reason for challenging materialism, or what should be the reason, is not to prove we are smarter than materialists and the world is made of "mind" instead of "matter", but to avoid the dangerous fragmentation which results from their false and reductionist world-conception. If we substitute "mindless material processes" for "personal fantasies" and "localized archetypes", your reasoning is identical to theirs.

Also, just so we don't forget, the reason I initially responded was mainly to address your inclusion of Jung as support for the "localized archetype" position you hold to - I wanted to make perfectly clear that Jung does not support this fragmented understanding of our Thinking activity in any way, shape, or form. Instead, he was very much one of those "people who claim to have the answers".
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

AshvinP wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:59 am Also, just so we don't forget, the reason I initially responded was mainly to address your inclusion of Jung as support for the "localized archetype" position you hold to - I wanted to make perfectly clear that Jung does not support this fragmented understanding of our Thinking activity in any way, shape, or form. Instead, he was very much one of those "people who claim to have the answers".
Because of the interconnectedness, thinking activity in our human form is never fully global and also never fully localized. We can only speak of the degree of locality, collectiveness and globality.
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

AshvinP wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:53 am The reason for challenging materialism, or what should be the reason, is not to prove we are smarter than materialists and the world is made of "mind" instead of "matter", but to avoid the dangerous fragmentation which results from their false and reductionist world-conception. If we substitute "mindless material processes" for "personal fantasies" and "localized archetypes", your reasoning is identical to theirs.
I think it's the opposite. The view that the thinking activity is so tightly interconnected and globally defined by objective archetypes and structures leaves no room for individual freedom of will, it becomes mechanical with our souls being the cellular automata of the global thinking. But if we allow for an individual free will, we necessarily arrive at an interplay of global activity (with its structures and archetypes), and collective and group and down to individual activity. In such case the world is an interplay of both top-down (from Divine) and bottom-up (from monads and their groups) spiritual activities. And exactly because of the free will, the archetypes and creations of the individuals and groups vary from each other, yet they also always have some common features because of their connectedness with the global activity. But that does not mean that the metamorphic progression is heading towards the convergence of all activities into a single integrated consonance and discarding all the differentiated variety originated from the activities of the individual free wills, because such integration will actually be the end of any individual free will (which means the end of Life).
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Eugene I wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:19 am
AshvinP wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:53 am The reason for challenging materialism, or what should be the reason, is not to prove we are smarter than materialists and the world is made of "mind" instead of "matter", but to avoid the dangerous fragmentation which results from their false and reductionist world-conception. If we substitute "mindless material processes" for "personal fantasies" and "localized archetypes", your reasoning is identical to theirs.
I think it's the opposite. The view that the thinking activity is so tightly interconnected and globally defined by objective archetypes and structures leaves no room for individual freedom of will, it becomes mechanical with our souls being the cellular automata of the global thinking. But if we allow for an individual free will, we necessarily arrive at an interplay of global activity (with its structures and archetypes), and collective and group and down to individual activity. In such case the world is an interplay of both top-down (from Divine) and bottom-up (from monads and their groups) spiritual activities. And exactly because of the free will, the archetypes and creations of the individuals and groups vary from each other, yet they also always have some common features because of their connectedness with the global activity. But that does not mean that the metamorphic progression is heading towards the convergence of all activities into a single integrated consonance and discarding all the differentiated variety originated from the activities of the individual free wills, because such integration will actually be the end of any individual free will (which means the end of Life).

First, we should recognize the bolded assertion, which we all agree to, is incompatible with "global vs. local" archetypes of thought. That dualist dichotomy, or pluralist if divided up into even more sub-local fragments, indicates they are not interconnected. If they are interconnected, then there is no principle reason why we cannot trace back the "local" structures to the overarching global structures which give rise to them, which is precisely what you are claiming we cannot do. You are claiming people who do such things and convey that to others are all various sorts of crackpots and charlatans, which is also a very lazy way of critiquing Cleric's argument.

Second, your conception of "free will" here is a form of intellectual egoism in my view. It is saying, "I want to be able to think whatever I want to think, without any overarching structure or shared qualities of thought with other beings" (note: this is my way of summarizing your reasoning, and not intended as a direct quote of you). Of course it's very hard to deny the "shared qualities" of Thinking activity, so you achieve the same result by dividing the qualities up into ever-smaller fragments that are personal to each "alter". This is not a mere psychological critique I am making of your position - it speaks directly to the spiritual forces of our current age which Cleric references often.

"Free will", in phenomenological terms (i.e. not from static and non-existent 3rd person perspective who observes the behavior of conscious agents without participating in that behavior themselves), if it is to be a meaningful concept, can only refer to how each individual experiences the world's unfolding. There is only "freedom" when that which is experienced is aligned with that which we desire (will) to experience. That is only attained when that which we desire to experience is aligned with the structure of Reality itself, so our desires reliably manifest in our experience. Our desire can only be aligned as such through true knowledge of Reality. "You shall know the Truth, and the Truth shall set you free."

In that sense, no individual can claim to have completely "free will" until all experiences are desired ones, and clearly we are not even close to being there yet. Heidegger said, "we are still not yet Thinking". Likewise, we can say "we are still not yet Free". In fact, most people have not even arrived to the conclusion they are living in the same shared Reality as others. They still naively believe there is a realm of mental activity which is only personal to them and shared with no one else, and that is also the belief your position here is endorsing in a more educated way. Until that belief is dispelled by inner knowledge, there is no possibility of even starting on a path towards freedom of will
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

AshvinP wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:45 am There is only "freedom" when that which is experienced is aligned with that which we desire (will) to experience. That is only attained when that which we desire to experience is aligned with the structure of Reality itself, so our desires reliably manifest in our experience. Our desire can only be aligned as such through true knowledge of Reality. "You shall know the Truth, and the Truth shall set you free."
This is a clear statement of spiritual dictatorship. It's a rejection of the value of diversity and creativity. Another part of this dictatorial view is the black-and-white "Whoever is not with Me is against Me": any individual acts not aligned with the singular Universal Truth is by definition egoic and evil.

Steve highlighted certain features of the world religions that his theology does not accept, such as all sorts of world-denialism and soteriological schemes. I think there is another problematic common theme and tendency in these religions: the "dictatorship of the Divine", and I think the underlying motivation for this tendency is fear - fear of diversity, of freedom, of novelty, of unknown, of "otherness". An unconscious way to overcome this fear is to control others by forcing everyone to conform and subdue to common "truth" or common rules. We see this feature in every dictatorship and also in many theistic religious traditions.

IMO the Divine intention for the creation was exactly the opposite: to open the opportunity for the universe of forms to unfold in its infinite variety . But the only way to do this is to "unlock" the freedom of will without requiring it to conform to the uniform and universal single gestalt, while still providing certain constraints that would allow it to unfold in a structured and non-random way. The price to pay for this freedom is the possibility of suffering and evil, and indeed many acts of the individual free will are egoic and evil. But that does not mean that any act of the individual will is egoic even though it may not conform with the universal gestalt.

Let me illustrate it with this metaphor. Let's say that there is a Master genius composer that composes harmonious and beautiful music. But he realizes that his music, no matter how harmonious it is, is only a tiny portion of all musical possibilities which he does not even know and never experienced. So he decided to invite many composers into his Musical Academy and let them compose whatever they want giving them full freedom and not asking to conform to his style and his sense of harmony. If he would ask everyone to conform to his style (to "know the True style"), or even to give them freedom to compose in their own way but only with an expectation that eventually they will all converge to his harmonious style, then what was the point of the Academy? Instead, his intention is to explore the universe of music and discover many other possible styles that are harmonious in their own and different way that he was not even aware of, and the only thing to do that is to allow his fellow composers to explore the musical forms without any limitations or expectations. He still does play to them his own harmonious music to help them to develop a general sense of harmony, but that does not mean he expects them to compose in the same way and adopt his sense of harmony. Of course this endeavor would be impossible without certain constraints (that define the very existence of musical forms), yet those constraints are not deterministic and allow for sufficient freedom for creativity. Inevitably, many of his fellows will come up with rather ugly and dissonant musical forms, and that's a necessary price to pay for such exploration. Yet, undoubtedly more and more novel musical forms will be discovered and composed that very loosely align or don't even align with his the original binary sense of harmony-dissonance, but that reach to new dimensions and realms of musical forms with different senses of harmony and beauty.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Eugene I wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:04 am
AshvinP wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:45 am There is only "freedom" when that which is experienced is aligned with that which we desire (will) to experience. That is only attained when that which we desire to experience is aligned with the structure of Reality itself, so our desires reliably manifest in our experience. Our desire can only be aligned as such through true knowledge of Reality. "You shall know the Truth, and the Truth shall set you free."
This is a clear statement of spiritual dictatorship. It's a rejection of the value of diversity and creativity. Another part of this dictatorial view is the black-and-white "Whoever is not with Me is against Me": any individual acts not aligned with the singular Universal Truth is by definition egoic and evil.

Steve highlighted certain features of the world religions that his theology does not accept, such as all sorts of world-denialism and soteriological schemes. I think there is another problematic common theme and tendency in these religions: the "dictatorship of the Divine", and I think the underlying motivation for this tendency is fear - fear of diversity, of freedom, of novelty, of unknown, of "otherness". An unconscious way to overcome this fear is to control others by forcing everyone to conform and subdue to common "truth" or common rules. We see this feature in every dictatorship and also in many theistic religious traditions.

IMO the Divine intention for the creation was exactly the opposite: to open the opportunity for the universe of forms to unfold in its infinite variety . But the only way to do this is to "unlock" the freedom of will without requiring it to conform to the uniform and universal single gestalt, while still providing certain constraints that would allow it to unfold in a structured and non-random way. The price to pay for this freedom is the possibility of suffering and evil, and indeed many acts of the individual free will are egoic and evil. But that does not mean that any act of the individual will is egoic even though it may not conform with the universal gestalt.

Let me illustrate it with this metaphor. Let's say that there is a Master genius composer that composes harmonious and beautiful music. But he realizes that his music, no matter how harmonious it is, is only a tiny portion of all musical possibilities which he does not even know and never experienced. So he decided to invite many composers into his Musical Academy and let them compose whatever they want giving them full freedom and not asking to conform to his style and his sense of harmony. If he would ask everyone to conform to his style (to "know the True style"), or even to give them freedom to compose in their own way but only with an expectation that eventually they will all converge to his harmonious style, then what was the point of the Academy? Instead, his intention is to explore the universe of music and discover many other possible styles that are harmonious in their own and different way that he was not even aware of, and the only thing to do that is to allow his fellow composers to explore the musical forms without any limitations or expectations. He still does play to them his own harmonious music to help them to develop a general sense of harmony, but that does not mean he expects them to compose in the same way and adopt his sense of harmony. Of course this endeavor would be impossible without certain constraints (that define the very existence of musical forms), yet those constraints are not deterministic and allow for sufficient freedom for creativity. Inevitably, many of his fellows will come up with rather ugly and dissonant musical forms, and that's a necessary price to pay for such exploration. Yet, undoubtedly more and more novel musical forms will be discovered and composed that very loosely align or don't even align with his the original binary sense of harmony-dissonance, but that reach to new dimensions and realms of musical forms with different senses of harmony and beauty.

You are not making any reasoned arguments anymore, only vague appeals to shallow emotions and flawed "metaphors". The reason for that is simple - you have run out of logical arguments to make. First you tried the "crackpots and charlatans" argument and sought to enlist Jung as support, presumably because he is well-known and people here have a certain amount of respect for his thought, especially after BK's book. When it was shown Jung holds the opposite of your view, you moved to the "global vs. local" archetypes argument. When it was shown that is hard dualism or pluralism, you moved to the "free will" argument. When it was shown your "free will" argument is nothing more than intellectual egoism which posits a non-existent 3rd-person perspective to avoid confronting the givens of our experience, you called the phenomenological conclusion "dictatorship" and moved to the above "metaphor" that you constructed to mirror your desired conclusions, by reducing the richness of Reality to your anthropomorphic concepts of a "master genius composer".

Even still, I find it uplifting that this Reality is so harmoniously rich in its meaning, reflected quite literally by musical harmony and consonance, that when you get to the bolded conclusion, instead of acknowledging the implications of that conclusion, you have to invent a new conclusion that goes against everything we experience and know from listening to and thinking about music. There is absolutely no logical connection between the bolded part and the underlined part, despite you simply including the words "yet, undoubtedly". There is really one question we need to answer for ourselves - will Reality in all its fullness and richness bend to the fragmented desires of my limited ego, or should I instead seek to align those desires with Reality by way of knowledge? And we all know the answer to that, but we go to great intellectual lengths to make ourselves doubt the answer that we immediately intuit. There is nothing tyrannical about pointing out the obvious fact that, if we ignore the structure of Reality for the benefit of our egoistic desires, the consequences will be negative for us long-term.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

AshvinP wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:38 am There is really one question we need to answer for ourselves - will Reality in all its fullness and richness bend to the fragmented desires of my limited ego, or should I instead seek to align those desires with Reality by way of knowledge? And we all know the answer to that, but we go to great intellectual lengths to make ourselves doubt the answer that we immediately intuit. There is nothing tyrannical about pointing out the obvious fact that, if we ignore the structure of Reality for the benefit of our egoistic desires, the consequences will be negative for us long-term.
You are caught in an old paradigm of Abrahamic religions which can be briefly described as:
- There is a Divine Truth.
- God created conscious beings with free will but with the only purpose and expectation to eventually comply with his single Divine Truth
- Any diversion from the single Divine Truth is a distortion. But by exercising their free will, the beings diverted from the Divine Truth (the “fall”). The only way for them back to the Divine is to abandon their own ways and to comply with the singular Divine Truth and join in a unified paradise of the truth-singularity.

Personally I find this paradigm meaningless and depressive, static and pointless. It is as meaningless as the materialistic paradigm to me. What I’m offering is a very different paradigm. Here are a few illustrations.

Imagine a designer of lego. He invented the system of lego with simple rules and constraints (the “framework truth” of the designer). The purpose of his invention is not to build structures specifically to comply with the rules. The constraints/rules simply give a seed-framework to allow the creation of unlimited higher-order structures bearing new meanings, truths and aesthetic forms that never existed before. The designer had no idea what structures could be made from this framework. The purpose of his creation – lego – was to allow the creation of new structures and meanings that have nothing to do with the basic-level constraints and rules but open new previously unknown dimensions in the universe of forms and meanings. Many of the structures will turn out to be useless and having no value. But inevitably there will be newly created structures that will bring about new truths that never existed before and that are no less truer than the truth of the original rules/constraints of the lego framework. The initial creation of the designer with its rules/constraints is simply a “seed” from which an inexhaustible number of new structures (meanings, truths) will emerge with no limit and no end to this creative process.

Another metaphor is the art of painting. The purpose of the art of painting is never to comply with reality that we visually perceive and to depict it as accurately as possible. If this would be the case, then the visual art would simply disappear after the invention of photography. But the purpose of art has little to do with the accuracy of reflecting the reality. Our collectively perceived reality is simply a common/shared framework and a “seed” that has enough flexibility and freedom to allow exploring an unlimited number of artistic forms that may have little of even nothing to do with the initial “seed” reality. The purpose of art is to create new previously unknown aesthetic forms and meanings and new previously unknown dimensions of forms and meanings.

Nanci Danison in her Creation video presented a fascinating perspective on the Divine creation: the Source created the world and de-fragmented his single subjective perspective into the multitude of subjectivities because he wanted to explore the universe of possible forms and experience the world from many different perspectives that do not necessarily comply with his global Source perspective. Every perspective (of a fish , of a crocodile, of the Buddha or of Hitler) is valuable and bears its own truths and meanings. In order for that to happen, the Source has to allow for the individual freedom. The Source is absolutely non-judgmental and allows any possible perspective to be. But the price for such freedom is suffering and evil, because some perspectives turn out to be destructive and to bring suffering to other beings. The Source hopes that over the course of evolution the beings will mature, learn from their pains and mistakes and abandon the egoic and evil perspectives. Yet, this maturity does not mean complying with the Sources global perspective and returning to a unified single-subjective existence. This maturity will not eliminate the multitude of subjectivities and will not restrict the freedom and creativity. It will only catalyze exploring even more new (but mature and non-egoic) perspectives with no end to this exploration. The cure from egoic freedom is not elimination of the multiplicity of subjective perspectives and its individual freedoms, but the evolutionary maturation of the subjective perspectives.
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Eugene I wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:56 pm Cleric, it is a common condition of human form not to have a direct access to the origins of our thoughts, perceptions and feelings. The meditators of Eastern traditions are simply being honest - they just admit that no matter how deeply they meditate, they can not dive and reach into the very roots of those phenomena, even though they can observe the patterns and interconnectedness and sense the trends and underlying subconscious drives. Buddhists call this realm where the conscious phenomena originate with the term "Alaya-Vijnana". In modern psychology (Jungian included) it is simply called "subconscious".

But there are people who claim to have the answers. For example, there are many people who claim that our thoughts are controlled by aliens, and they even claim that they telepathically communicate with the aliens and their communications confirm that fact (believe or not, I actually met such guy). And their experiences seem to be objective because many of them have very similar experiences, so they must be reporting something real and objective, right? I do not think psychiatrists would agree with their claims, but who cares what psychiatrists say?
I'll continue here what I intended about the 'higher order'.

What you write above concerning the Eastern traditions is much similar to scientist today saying "no matter how finely we slice up the brain, we still can't find the stuff of consciousness". The reason thought is not found, no matter how deeply it's meditated, is because the only place where its living and self-evident explanation can be found - thinking itself - is by definition avoided.

We must make a distinction here. When I say that in actively willed thinking we find its self-evident cause, I really mean the 'tip' of that thinking activity. For example, in the meditative exercise I mentioned with moving our thinking concentrated in a light dot into a circle/spiral, the light dot is completely explained out of our spiritual activity - we will the movement of that dot. In other words, the Creative Dynamism of the Universe meets the reflection of its activity.

This, of course, is laughed at by both mystics and materialists. Practically they say "you're deluding yourself, entering into a self-reinforcing loop, creating the illusion of an ego that has creative role". Materialists are hard to argue with because they at least declare from the very onset that the true causes lie in the real physical world, while the contents of consciousness are like the final output, the pixels on the screen. If consciousness believes that it has creative role in thinking it's like believing that one pixel is causing another, instead of the underlying hardware and software causing both. Paradoxically it's exactly the materialist who effectively tries to show that one pixel (for example neurons) causes other pixels (conscious phenomena), while forgetting that he does all this speculation through the only kind of phenomena in the World Content for which the cause is intuitively known - thinking. As said in the previous post, the mystic fares no better because at the moment he discards the experience of consciously willed thinking, he also cuts himself from the possibility to experience any causation in the supposed One Consciousness. Is there then any surprise that meditators see only thoughts popping in and out of existence at the event horizon of subconsciousness?

One can say "But there are countless factors at play here! The light dot is not completely mine because this exercise was suggested externally to me". This is the second part of the distinction. Indeed there are countless contextual layers that condition our thinking. But the fact remains that even if we're led to the vicinity of the light tip by unconscious forces, we still experience the tip as the result of our spiritual activity. So, as said, we have at least a tiny point where the Creative Dynamism finds its reflection. If we grasp this point we can follow it's direction of origin. This is like being in a cave and noticing a small illuminated spot. Some will say "oh, these are just one of these light spots that come and go". Others will put their hand at the spot and start moving as not to lose the light on their palm. After many reflections and refractions they finally reach the Sunlight outside the cave.

After this allegory we can step into the practical aspect of it. What does it mean to trace the light ray? First, let it be clear that the essence of the Light is one and the same outside and inside the cave. What changes is that more and more of the reflecting and refracting layers are overcome as we move out - these are contextual layers that condition perceiving, thinking, feelings, willing.

Let's get to the realistic examples. We start simple. Let's take a sentence, any will do, for example "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog". I invite the reader to read the sentence several times and really feel it's meaning. It's very helpful if we build pictorial image of this meaning too. Once we feel comfortable with the contents we can make the following meditative exercise. We turn away from the written text, calm our mind and slowly produce its words in verbal thoughts, while livingly experiencing how we innerly pronounce every word.

We should have experienced very clearly the verbal thought perceptions, much like we would hear sensory sound. Now the question is where in consciousness is the meaning of the sentence itself? There's no doubt that we somehow held its meaning and out of it produced the words. The words we perceive clearly but what about the meaning of the whole sentence? Generally there's no clear perception for the whole sentence. In fact, the very attempt to turn attention to such a thing as 'the whole sentence' can cause nothing but confusion and vagueness for some readers. The materialistically inclined may downright reject that there's such a thing, they'll say that the only real thing is the succession of brain-consciousness states where each one causes the next like domino pieces and the feeling for meaning of the whole sentence is only an illusion.

If we don't dismiss the given experience of meaning of the whole sentence in such a prejudiced way, we'll realize that what we have consciously observed in the exercise happens practically all the time. We live in such complex meaning all the time and we constantly verbalize it, which people generally call thoughts. If this was not the case we would experience only disconnected words and not the meaning of a whole sentence, let alone of a whole book. Anyone here can reflect on the experience of writing a post in this forum. One starts with some meaning that is to be expressed. This meaning is not itself perceived, it's not a sound or color. Then the meaning is serialized into keystrokes.

Those who try to grasp more clearly the complexes of meaning which we verbalize, because of their elusive nature could say that they are shaped at the horizon of the subconsciousness. It's easy to focus, for example, on the word 'fox'. We have a nice compact word and meaning that goes with it. But the meaning of the whole sentence is not something that people can generally grasp as a whole.

Yet this is exactly what we must do if we are to gain consciousness in the deeper strata of being. How can this task be approached? First we can invent for ourselves a symbol, something that we can comfortably hold in our mind as a holistic perception - sound, visual symbol, etc. Then we consciously decide that this symbol embodies the meaning of the whole sentence. At that point we simply begin to exercise concentration on the symbol without deviating our focus to anything else. This shouldn't be confused with simply assigning symbols/words to phenomena, that the intellect then juggles with. Our goal is not to abstract the complex of meaning as a shorthand for the intellect. This could never lead us in the actual stratum where the meaning exists. As long as we are thinking verbally or symbolically (math for example) our spiritual activity is locked within a certain rhythm of unfoldment. We're busy serializing the vaguely experienced meaning. We build the symbol for concentration for the sole purpose that our spiritual activity has an anchor point, so that we can eventually stabilize around it the vague meaning itself and experience it as something whole.

When these exercises are practiced sufficiently we begin to really feel the meaning of the sentence as if packed in a whole. This feeling becomes almost tactile. But what is more interesting is that we begin to feel also whole constellations of such meaning complexes that flow into our initial symbol. This is very critical point of spiritual training because we must resist with all our force the habit to immediately serialize everything into words. In the beginning these meaning complexes are very delicate, very fragile. Our verbal thoughts are like loudly breaking glass in comparison. As soon as we begin to verbalize, the complexes are completely outvoiced. We must resist the temptation and let the complexes grow and strengthen, even though in the beginning they are very shadowy and confused.

Gradually, as we strengthen our activity, the complexes begin to speak more and more clearly. For example, if we have started with concentration on the symbol for the sentence in the example above, when the meaningful complexes begin to emerge, we begin to see in them the most varied relations that our symbol and its meaning have with them. For example, some of the complexes are experienced as the meaning of the whole post that you're now reading. Other complexes have the meaning of the whole forum. Others may be about wildlife and so on. Remember - at this point the intellect is completely concentrated, there's no movement of our verbal or symbolic thought. All these complexes emerge as if from the background behind our 'intellectual face', once they are no longer outvoiced. They unfold as mighty panorama, living, dynamic. We behold processes that occur at any given moment of our life but normally we're phase-locked to the rhythms of serialized thought. It should also be stressed that this panorama emerges in its fullness only because we're engaged into consciously willed spiritual activity. The fact that our intellect has been anchored into a point doesn't mean that our cognition has been paralyzed. Precisely the opposite - thanks to this stabilization of our activity, we were able to phase-unlock from the serial rhythms and resonate with the higher order ones. The meaningful complexes at that level become for us clear language just as our ordinary verbal thoughts are clear language for the intellect. We are both receptive and active in this domain, we learn to Think in a higher sense with these fluid complexes. Unlike the intellectual thinking where we feel quite authoritative and single-voiced, the spiritual activity at this level is much more like a fluid dance. We're active but in the same time must be receptive because the whole world of living processes that now surrounds us has also dynamics of its own.

As we learn to live comfortably in this state it becomes possible to crystallize concepts from it even without leaving it. In fact this is one of the most important skills that we have to develop because not only that we translate cognition in this way but we also learn from direct experience how processes transduce between levels. That's how we learn to know ourselves from a higher vantage point. What has previously been subconscious and we could only serialize the vaguely experienced meaning into thoughts, now is living reality spread before our Spirit's eyes. We see in what we live and move all the time while in the ordinary state of consciousness.

The above can be understood (and even achieved!) even by sufficiently open-minded materialists. As long as the complexes of meaning within the higher stratum of consciousness are related to the happenings of the sensory world, the materialist can explore comfortably this state. But as his horizon expands it will be more and more difficult to support the materialistic ideas. And the reason for this is not what many would guess. People think that one becomes convinced in a spiritual realm after they experience something so inexplicable that it just doesn't fit into the materialistic conceptions. But this is not what happens here. The former can be described as 'switching beliefs' but the intellect itself still has no real understanding of itself. It is simply no longer satisfied with the explanatory power of the physical model and seeks other models (spiritual, religious, mythological, idealist, etc.). When we live fully consciously in the realm of meaningful complexes we have something completely different. One simply witnesses how the the ordinary thoughts precipitate from the currently experienced spiritual stratum. The contrast is as stark as it is between clipped nails and the living fingers. From the higher perspective we experience somewhat the following (of course without the need to verbalize it like this): "I witness the rhythm patterns within which my intellectual self has been previously phase-locked. What I experience there is nothing more than the nail clippings of the real life which I breathe and cognize now. All those attempt to build the Truth out of combinations of these nail clippings have been so futile. It really is a matter of spiritual development and progressively gaining consciousness of the higher strata which alone can explain through direct cognitive experience all the shadow-happenings in the lower". In this sense we no longer need to believe in a spiritual realm, just as we don't have to believe in the intellectual life in the ordinary state. In both cases they are the self-evident reality of the specific form that our spiritual activity takes.

This post is getting too long I'm worried people already hate me because of this :D
I intended to continue this description to even higher orders but the length will have to at least double. If there's interest we can continue.
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

Cleric, you are describing a closed-prison Abarahamic religion paradigm of beings all metamorphically converging to comply and unite their individual activities with a unified global activity and structure of the One Spirit with its eternally pre-existing set of truths and meanings. As I said above, I find this paradigm totalitarian and meaningless. The free will, even if it exists, also becomes meaningless in such world. In my post above I described an alternative paradigm where the Spirit is ever growing and exploring new previously unknown areas and realms of meanings and truths and where the mission of individuated souls is not to comply with global pre-existing truths, but to be the pioneers of exploring the new realms. We are on the very frontier of the Spirit's exploration into the new and unknown and there is a value and a purpose in our individuated free will, creativity and non-compliance with the already-existing forms, meanings and truths, because these are the ways to be innovative in exploring, expanding and creating new forms, meanings and truths..