Essay: Man, Know Thyself

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Cleric K

Essay: Man, Know Thyself

Post by Cleric K »

This essay came together weeks ago in relation to another thread, where the inclination to thinking or feeling was mentioned. Yet I was reluctant to post it. Now that we've already spoken a little about higher cognition in this thread, I decided that I'll let it out.

I still feel uneasy about it but let it stand for what it is - just a fairytale, some food for thought.
------------

Yes, thinking and feeling. The dry, cold intellectuals and the hot, passionate artistic natures. This is quite natural. These activities lie in different soul domains and their integration is not that easy. For example, not everyone can write computer code and experience aesthetic beauty in it.

As far as higher cognition is concerned, we have no choice but find a path towards integration.

When we feel, thinking is always present, even if not verbalized. When I feel joy, when my whole Universe vibrates on the waves of joy, thinking is also there, even if only as the hidden meaning of my state of being. When I feel joy I'm attending a feeling. But if I attend my "attention to the feeling", I become conscious of "I feel joy" and I can express it as a verbal thought if needed. Now the question is, does my self-consciousness of the fact that "I feel joy", in anyway diminish the experience of joy? Not at all. Not only that it doesn't degrade it but it even enhances it, adds completely new dimension to the experience, which only makes it richer and more profound. After all, if bare feeling of joy was simply floating through the dream of the Universe without any self-consciousness to experience it, who is there to say that this is a more pure and pristine experience?

In a similar way, higher cognition not only doesn't rob us of our feelings but adds whole other dimension to them, they become so much richer and textured in content that they literally speak to us. And it is through our higher cognition that we understand their speech.

Now where people get put off, is that they have to pass through the pinhole of pure thought in order to reach the higher realm. It seems that they are sacrificing the splendor of feeling, for the dryness of pure thought and this clashes very deeply - especially with religious feeling. But this passage is only momentary. Then we find again religious and any other feeling but now as living reality. Why the pinhole of thought? Can't we go through a pinhole of pure feeling of pure will? We can't (or at least not in full consciousness but only as a kind of a trance). And there's very understandable reason why.

The ego has many possessions. We say "my body, my preferences, my opinions, my intellect, my soul, my spirit" and so on. But none of that truly belongs to us. We are as a king that has gotten used to lifting his finger and the whole kingdom follows in order. We say "my kingdom". It is only when the peasants decide to overthrow us that we understand that all we control is our finger. That's what illness - physical and mental - teaches us in the hard way. Think of a genius. He certainly can think brilliantly by is he really in control of the brilliance itself? Not really. There are examples in history where brilliance degrades for unknown reasons and the genius is powerless to prevent it.

We are in control of much, much less than we are comfortable to admit. In this sense Sam Harris and others are objective when saying that we are quite unfree in our soul life. But when they continue to say "... and thus freedom is an illusion" they add something out of themselves. The first part can be confirmed by impartial observation but the second floats in the air.

So what is it that is truly ours? What is the finger of the king? It is the thing from the world content that we feel most creatively, causally involved in - our spiritual activity in thinking. We should get this right. As we already stated above, we are actually not fully free in what and how we think it. For example, if someone says a bad word to me (and if I'm still at that level of emotional maturity), the insult will live in me as a feeling. From all the possible thoughts that I could otherwise think, the feeling will filter only those that are compatible with it. For example, I'll be thinking how to give the guy a good lesson. So it is in this sense that I'm unfree - the feeling forces me to think about it. But nevertheless, in the very experience of thought, ignoring the Cosmic context which led me to its vicinity, I feel causally creative. This is the only thing that is my true possession because I create it. I think it into existence. I can't say the same about the feeling of insult or a color perception, my temperament, my favorite color. I can't say the same for acts of will neither - it is enough to imagine a paralyzed limb to realize that there's much beyond my immediate control. Instead, all these things shape my environment, they form the restricted palette from which I can create my thoughts. Then, if I say "my temperament" as if I have consciously created it, I'm simply being dishonest.

My thought allows me to recognize the boundaries of my authority in relation to the environment. I gain nothing if I simply say "it's all One" and succumb in pleasant dream life, riding on the waves of creation. That's why we start from pure thought. Calm, patient meditation, holding a thought, a symbol full of meaning, at the focus of my consciousness. I aim to experience only what I myself bring forth into existence. This is the only activity that is truly free.

Although we speak of "pure thought", this concentration focuses all forms of my spiritual activity - I will the thought intensely, I feel the thought, I perceive it. I'm simply concentrating all these forces of spiritual life into only one thing that is wholly mine. I want to exclude everything else that I can't account for as proceeding from my free activity. I do this in the utmost humility and devotion. My activity doesn't make me feel proud or special - it's exactly the opposite - it makes me feel small but honest. I know that the whole Cosmos is beyond my control and I'm simply coming to terms with this fact. I want to be true to the facts.

The longer we are able to hold on to the thought, the more it fills our entire field of consciousness and everything else fades into the background. Now we begin to notice something of tremendous importance. Although we ourselves hold the thought into place, we begin to distinguish that we create the form but not the substance of the thought. This substance turns out to have life of its own. We begin to notice patterns, shapes and movements within it. These words have only metaphorical meaning because we don't see the structure of the substance, as we can see waves in the sea or even visions, like in a psychedelic state. Both in sensory and inner vision, our attention is pointed at the perceptions and thoughts are formed against them. But now there's only one thought and its substance fills our whole atmosphere. This substance imprints itself directly as meaning, just as a regular thought imprints its meaning directly.

We continue to experience in full consciousness that we support the thought form in place but now the most varied living processes seem to be weaving and animating the substance. Now we begin to recognize the actual forces that shape our thinking life. We are able to behold them because we have found our stable anchor point within the activity we ourselves create. In normal life we are tossed around on the waves of the living activity but we are not conscious of them because we are merged with them. Now that we have anchored ourselves in our spiritual activity, we acquire such stability that we can experience the living waves flowing and shaping the thought substance but without dragging us along with them - we have differentiated our spiritual activity from them and that's why we are now conscious of them.

So we can say that we now perceive our own ego as if turned "inside-out", like a glove. When one steps into these experiences with the preconceived notions of our scientific era, one would expect to find processes like waves of energy, brainwaves, information and so on. That would be convenient for the intellect, wouldn't it? And it is true that in the very early stages we can really project our experiences in such concepts. But as we progress, the reality of this realm turns out to be much more chilling (at least from the standpoint of modern man). What we have "from distance" called waves and patterns, when experienced up close, turn out to be nothing but fragments, pieces of ourselves. Now they confront us as living and independent beings - they talk like us, think like us, feel and act like us - they are us! Or at least what we normally think of as "us". They are our patterns of thought, ready-made answers, habits, gestures, emotional reflexes, opinions, prejudices, beliefs - not as some abstract concepts but as living pieces of us. We realize how countless such elemental beings, at any moment combine, flow into each other, repel each other and in our ordinary state we stand on the top of this iceberg and say - "mine!".

The concept of "being" is quite problematic for modern man. For quite some centuries we've become accustomed to think about reality with our abstract thoughts. From the higher standpoint we can trace how our ordinary thoughts precipitate from the living spiritual activity as something dead - just as hair and nails precipitate from the living but are themselves already dead mineral substance. Our ordinary thoughts are like mineral chunks separated from a living process. Then, when we look at reality through these mineral prisms we see their character overlaid on everything - we begin to see nature as dead because we think of it with dead thoughts. But in the higher realm we find again life. And the beings we speak of are also there. They are of the same living nature as our inner spiritual activity. We can't think of them as lifeless or mechanical. If we try to do that we simply drop back into our ordinary thinking consciousness and lose sight of them. The greatest difficulty is to prevent ourselves from trying to imagine these beings as something that we can perceive in sensory-like manner. If we imagine them as small creatures with paws and fur, we are succumbing into fantasy. These beings don't have physical form. They have a form of will and idea. In this realm we perceive their will as we perceive heat in the sensory world. The only thing that comes close to sensory-like perception is when we experience how their will shapes the first-person fragments of our own nature.

Although these beings make us who we are, we don't own them. We live in symbiosis with them, just as we live in symbiosis with the cells of our body. If we could live without them, if we were truly able to create the whole soul content ourselves, every moment of our soul life would feel as an eureka moment, everything in our soul would feel as an original act of creativity, as brand new creation for which we are fully responsible. This we cannot do. At least not yet, not at our level of evolution.

But is this real? Couldn't this be some kind of illusion? Isn't there some other explanation? Such question lose their meaning in this state. We can ask these questions in a visionary or psychedelic state. There our ego is more or less intact, we say - "I'm here, the visions are there in front of me, I perceive them". That's the reason why visions can never bring any certainty. As with any perception, in the final run we address it with our thinking and need to interpret it. We may have theories, beliefs about what lies behind, about what's the true source of the visions but with our ego we firmly stay on "our side" of them. Things are radically different when we pass through the portal of our own spiritual activity. What we now experience are not perceptions which we confront with thoughts but the actual "shape" of spiritual activity and how it is being modified by the environment. To ask if the meaning of the thus experienced activity is real, is like asking whether the meaning of my regular thought is real. It is actually the only certain thing. Please note - we're not saying that the application, the combinations of thoughts cannot be wrong. For example, if I think "the sky is green", the meaning of the thought itself is perfectly real. It is wrong only when I place the thought against my sensory perceptions. In this sense, even the meaning of a wrong thought is real. The same holds true for the higher realm - later, when I begin to think about the experiences and relate them to other experiences, it is totally possible to make an error. But the fact that I experience my ordinary ego states coming together from the interactions of the elemental beings is completely certain. As certain as death. It is more real than real. Our ordinary state seems only like a faint dream in comparison. This comes directly from the fact that I can trace in full consciousness how the mould, into which I experience these questions, comes into being. It is when my spiritual activity is restricted within this mould that I identify with the questions. But when I experience the coming together of the mould itself, these questions become only fragments of thought patterns that I perceive within my ordinary ego. These questions are settled for me. Now I have other questions, of completely different character.

When we progress even further, we find out that these elemental beings form three distinguishable colonies. Allegorically, we can call them the three horses that pull the cart of our soul life. These horses are quite wayward initially. Most of the time they pull our cart in quite different directions, while the poor master thinks he's in control and says "my horses!" Yet we are in position to tame these horses and then put them to work for a higher purpose.

As far as the soul seeks to understand itself within our ordinary ego state, the pulls of the horses lead in specific directions. If these directions become one-sided strivings they can be described in the following way:

:idea: The soul seeks its essential nature through combinations of thoughts, be it thoughts about neurons, energy, information, fields of awareness, mind at large, etc. The soul intellectualizes its reality.
:idea: The soul seeks its essential nature in feeling life. It lives in imaginative pictures of art, Heaven, God, after life, etc. The soul dreams of its reality.
:idea: The soul seeks its essential nature in unconscious will. It conceives itself as non-existence, as picture of nothingness. The soul sleeps away its reality.

Of course, in practice we have combinations of these in different proportions, flowing and rhythmically alternating. It's only when they are pursued in one-sided way that they attain the above character. We need all three of them. But we need to find the perspective from which we can balance them. The ego (as the expression of the soul within our ordinary state) attains to reality only when it finds its true possession and from there - its relation to its Cosmic environment. Only then we find the deep meaning of the saying "Man, know thyself".

What we have described as elemental beings, is actually only a very small part of the general life that we can encounter in the higher realm. It is possible, and actually extraordinarily seducing for one, once he has attained to this state, to become intoxicated by his apparent superiority above the lower nature. If there's one thing that we should take out from the higher experiences, it is that freedom is always relative. We're always midway between the lower - that which we can perceive - and the higher - that which moulds our current experience. If we don't grasp this, if we think that we've become the higher and everything else is now below us, we're headed in for tragedy. The ordinary ego is to some extent, so to speak, excused of these things. After all, it doesn't perceive them readily. But when we find ourselves in the higher realm, we are no longer excused. The fact that we have ventured there, in itself means that from that moment on, we take full responsibility for our actions. While we don't know our horses, we are more or less protected from certain dangers. The reason is that there's some innate wisdom implanted in the horses. Think of the human body. What an extraordinarily complex organism! Who of us would be able to keep it running if every little detail was left to our conscious activity? We would destroy it in no time. We are in similar position in relation to our thinking, feeling and willing. In our ordinary life, these soul activities follow certain alternating rhythms that balance them out. But when we reach the point from which we can guide the horses, we immediately become responsible for keeping them in balance - we have now taken on to do, what was otherwise done for us unconsciously by our natural organization. We should do this wisely, otherwise, from this level, we can wreak great havoc - for ourselves and for others.

It is only in a mood of humility and loving devotion that we can find our proper bearings within this world. Only such mood allows us to turn with our eyes open, towards what stands higher than us, what shapes our current state, in the same way that the elemental beings shape our ordinary state. In this way we find other beings at varying stages of consciousness - some far superior than ours, stages that we'll attain only in the far, far future.

Higher cognition does not lead us to some remote, alternative reality. Our immediate experiences already show that. We don't perceive some speculative entities with fantasized relations to our world. The elemental beings throw light on our own soul life. We only understand our normal state of consciousness when experienced from the higher state. The higher contains the causes of the lower. In this sense, the perceptions of the elemental beings don't lead us away from reality but exactly the opposite - they complement and explain reality. This process continues even further with relation to the higher beings. When we experience their activities, we understand not only the forces working in the individual man but also these that shape the mineral, plant and animal kingdoms, the nations, the whole humanity and the Cosmos. Every step deeper into the Spiritual World, reveals something of the riddles lying behind its projection within the sensory world.

The lower regions of the Spiritual World are not inhabited with only benevolent beings. There are such beings that are self-seeking. Just as man, they haven't yet found their harmonic relations to their Cosmic environment. In our ignorance we constantly associate with such beings, completely unconsciously. The deeper insight into our spiritual nature puts us in a position to consciously decide what beings we want to associate with - for who we want to work for.

We don't learn something about the higher beings when we experience what we think about them. We only learn something when we experience how they think us.
Soul_of_Shu

Re: Essay: Man, Know Thyself

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

How exciting a Dream ! This much seems certain ... The Essence Dreaming will keep on dreaming up something and someone anew to be entranced by ... this dreamed up action figure being no exception :o
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Yup!

AND I love the lovely poetic way it is expressed by Ibn' Arabi

Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Lou ... you going for a new record in the number of times for posting the same poem ? ;)
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:13 pm Lou ... you going for a new record in the number of times for posting the same poem ? ;)
Poems are my meditations. This one is a magnificent practice for me. Not an analysis or speculation or dream, but a contemplation worth repeating. I'm not much of a numbers guy. If you are keeping count, do let me know when I've hit a new record. :D
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

When dreaming of Essence it's good to hold in mind that if there's no shadow, it's not real.

Back to Idealist metaphysics I believe that autism offers a far better mind model than dissociated identity disorder.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

We don't learn something about the higher beings when we experience what we think about them. We only learn something when we experience how they think us.
Yes, and this can only be done co-creatively, which is what the Ibn' Arabi poem is about.

It's worth noting that the original Persian version was in prose style. It was translated into poetic form by Henri Corbin, the French philosopher who had a special appetite for developing notions of the 'imaginal' as differentiated from the 'imagined' or 'imaginary'.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Cleric,

WOW. That's another load of words to hold but I think I can give it a try. First, let me stress that I really appreciate the loving kindness and humility that consistently exudes from the pores of your stories/dreams/models. It's lovely and I personally cannot but more than agree with that sentiment. A deep bow of gratitude to you. Second, let me share what I perceive as a limitation. Your language seems to prioritize or privilege imaging that is individual and higher more than imaging that is collective and deeper. I'm not advocating for a reverse privileging but for a better balance between transcendence and immanence, which may yield an expanded more integral view.

Let me illustrate with an example drawn from my old Northern California and Southern Oregon bioregion where there are magnificent groves of giant Coastal Redwoods.

[Lots more great photos by Lucas Cometto are here.

The temptation (and distraction) when entering a great forest like this is to focus on the great standing ones, the tall trees that have (following Jung) "crowns in heaven and roots in hell." However thrilling this tree perspective is, it will not give a picture of the forest, which I'm using as an analog of the Whole or the One in our dialog. To grok the forest one must dive more deeply into the substrata of a collective network mycorrhizal fungi that make the great forest possible. Thusly, we need not a higher view as much as an expanded one and the expansion quite literally goes in all directions leading into The Great Mysteriousness (TGM), which can be known only by virtue of TGM choosing (willing) to know Itself through us co-creatively. It is my belief that we humans often mistake an expanded view as something higher and by training our spiritual and scientific attention on the 'higher' often get diverted from the ground on which we stand, defining it as somehow lesser or lower.

OK, that's my best shot at this moment. Over to you.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Cleric,

Since you are relatively new to the forum here, I'd like to restate a few disclaimers I've made in the past that might help avoid misperceptions of where I'm coming from.

1) Psychedelics: Although I have 23 years and 1,000s of doses of the Santo Daime entheogen in my experiential bucket, I am not an advocate or spokesperson for their use. First, my personal life-changing dream arrived during a psychedelic-free period of my life. Second, 15 years and many 'miracles' later, I met Santo Daime, which has a firm rule against proselytizing and offers Daime only to those called to it and takes pains to check for 'pre-existing' conditions or medications that might be problematic. Third, psychedelics are definitely not for all. Their advantage is that they are a process accelerator and intensifier; their disadvantage is that this may be too fast or too intense for some. For others, there is the same cautions as for contemplation, meditation, prayer, self-inquiry, devotion, whatever -- anything can become an obfuscating addiction. A caring, careful , alert and attentive approach is essential. As George Orwell famously offered, “To see what is in front of one’s nose needs a constant struggle.”

2) Indigenous rituals: I've been blessed with opportunities to participate, over many years, in a range of rituals, which have been personally rewarding beyond words. However, I am not a spokesperson or expert witness for any of these ways. I can offer only the advice of my Lakota friend, Eddie Little Crow: "When the sacred circle is broken, it is broken for everyone. Each person must find their own meaningful way to mend the hoop." The thing that I'd like to see in the 'modern' dialog is a deep respect for the continued relevance of indigenous wisdom.

3) I'm not a philosopher: I have read neither the classics or the moderns and, at age 83, I'm not interested in doing so. The only book on Idealism that I've read is BK's "More Than Allegory", which I loved. So, as a non-philosopher, what I doing at this forum? Good question! The best I can tell, it is because here I have found conversations (both cantankerous and convivial) that literally stimulate my intuitive faculty.

4) How does my intuition work? In truth I dunno! In practice, for forum stuff, it tends to happen during my sunrise visits to make offerings and devotions at the lovely seashore of Big Island, Hawaii. Suddenly, during prayers or quiet appreciation of this paradise on earth, thoughts will spontaneously appear, thoughts that I've seemingly not even been thinking about. It's mysterious to me but I get motivated to return here and further download them, the elaboration of which I've never heard myself articulate. For me it's both mysterious and compelling.

Thanks for listening.

https://scontent.fhnl3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=604A14FD
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:17 pm How exciting a Dream ! This much seems certain ... The Essence Dreaming will keep on dreaming up something and someone anew to be entranced by ... this dreamed up action figure being no exception :o
From some absolute perspective that's certain. Just as it is certain that "something exists". The question is what's the relation of the action figure to the Essence. One perspective is that the figure pops into existence at birth, looks around, and dissolves into the dream at death. But there's also a gate which allows us to explore our relation to the Essence. Interestingly, this gate is the same one as the gate of death. And by exploration I don't mean the satisfaction of intellectual curiosity but a living experience of the Essence forming the action figure.

The point where we should be cautious is when we pass judgment on the gate and what the Essence can know/experience about itself. Mandibil said that in the 'woo-woo' thread - there's a void but don't even dare to think there can be something that can be known/experienced about it, don't even try. And this is a valid position in itself. It's just that we shouldn't delude ourselves that it's a certain position. Staying in front of the closed gate and reassuring ourselves that there's nothing on the other side, can be soothing for our conscience but is a belief, nevertheless.
Lou Gold wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:44 pm Second, let me share what I perceive as a limitation. Your language seems to prioritize or privilege imaging that is individual and higher more than imaging that is collective and deeper. I'm not advocating for a reverse privileging but for a better balance between transcendence and immanence, which may yield an expanded more integral view.
Lou,
Thank you very much for you kind words, your story, the trees - they are majestic (and the living network beneath them)!

I understand your concern and I'm aware that in the essay I focused on the individual ascent to higher cognition. I did that because we are in a thinking forum. Everyone here builds a mental picture of reality. It would be a gap too wide if I'm to simply start presenting facts of higher cognition (that would show how the individual is embedded in the collective). That's why I focus on the path that can lead man from individual thinking to the spirit. This path does not require belief in authority - only sober, unprejudiced thinking. That's why what I say is constantly being viewed as an ego lost in abstract fantasies. Yet this is the only way one can reach to first-hand experience of the Spirit without subscribing to a religious faith and divination.

I'm aware that this is a path not suitable for everyone. In a different context (forum) I would speak quite differently. One can also speak to the heart. This doesn't make the mind unnecessary. It's just that the heart is much more related to the great rhythms of Cosmic Life and there are many things we can feel as truthful, even if we can't cognize the feelings in clear concepts.

In the course of evolution both the heart and mind must be refined. It's just that in our particular point of history, souls have different predispositions and for this reason different nuances of the path should be made available for them, to make the best use of the materials they have at hand. The heart, even if more intimately connected to higher truths, must still be purified. We don't go very far if we simply assume that the heart is always in the truth. It's obvious that this is not the case, all passions and egoistic desires also live in the heart.

One path starts with Wisdom. When consciousness expands in this way we find the proper relations to Cosmic Life and this opens the path for Love. The individual, starts from the certainty of his own being and works outwards. As the horizon expands we must find our right relations to the beings that we encounters and this can only happen through Love. That's how the individual finds himself as a creative spirit within the collective Cosmic Edifice. Wisdom leading us to Love, and both begin to reveal Truth. That's one path and clearly the one that I'm focusing on here - as I said, because it's more appropriate for the thinking souls that have been drawn to this forum.

The other path starts with Love. Here we begin with the deepest heart-felt Love for the One (the poem). We simply know that we have been looking Him in the Eye before we incarnated and this memory lives in us as a certain undertone of our whole Earthly life. But this vague knowledge is insufficient in itself. We must make the paths straight for this Love to express more and more - to allow the One to express through our bodies more and more unhindered. And this is the point where contemporary humans have not yet come to the proper understanding. There's a great gap between the small me, the weakling, the sinful, and the big Me - the perfected Cosmic Man. Love leads towards Wisdom when we begin to realize that we can't simply discard the small me and become a puppet on strings for the big Me. That's duality. The puppet can never find its true relation to the big Me in this way. We cut the big Me from Itself. Instead, we set out to transform the small me, such that it becomes better and better conductor, servant of the big Me. This is how we bridge the gap between the individual and the collective. In this path we start from Love, which can only express fully through Wisdom, and both begin to reveal Truth.

In the first path, the small me rises in consciousness towards the big Me and this can only happen if Love for the Whole becomes as intrinsic as the air we breath. That's how the individual finds its proper place in the collective Cosmic Life.
In the second path, the small me rises its Love towards the big Me. If we simply stay in Loving meditation for the One all day long, we are useless for the collective Cosmic Life and the One. This Love must irrigate our being as Wisdom, so that we can know how we can serve the One. It's like asking "if I was not limited by my narrow understanding, opinions, prejudices, desires, etc., the big Me would express through my perspective unhindered. What would He do in my place? I need Wisdom so that my Love for the One can allow His Essence to express through me in its purity. I'm of no use for the big Me if I (the small me) stay as I am, limited, ignorant, erratic. The more I transform the obstacles that that dam the paths of Love, the more the Wisdom of the One flows through me and we are truly One."

"Coincidently", as I was writing this, a friend of mine forwarded me the following exercise from a Spiritual Master:
When you get up in the morning after sleep, do this exercise. Sit calmly in a chair, raise your mind towards God and say:
"Lord, help me establish the link between the ordinary and Divine consciousness"
Reflect on this link for five minutes and then continue with your daily work. In the evening, before sleep, thank for the help that has been given to you through the day and think again for the strength hidden in this link.
Don't expect great results all at once. Rejoice even if you gain only a microscopic result.
The power of things is hidden within their unity and not their separateness.
With your ordinary consciousness alone, you can't achieve anything. With the Divine consciousness alone, you can't achieve anything either. But both consciousnesses, linked together, represent a great force.