Criticism

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Mark Tetzner

Re: Criticism

Post by Mark Tetzner »

AshvinP wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:49 am
Mark Tetzner wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:39 am
AshvinP wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:26 am

That is why I disagree with Kant, Schopenhauer, and BK. Not just a little, but whole-heartedly :) But there are plenty of phenomenologists who concluded monism-idealism (did not start from it) and rejected Kantian epistemology. Phenomenology cannot possibly conclude "we are conscious of the shock before we attribute meaning". We attribute it subconsciously, but we are still attributing it. There cannot be an experience of "shock" devoid of all meaning. The fact that we cannot even speak of meaningless "shock" is a clue which points towards the meaningful essence of the primordial Logos.
Ashvin, are you a materialist or....
Mark - no, not at all. I guess you don't follow the forum much (or just skip over my comments) :)

I am an idealist by reasoned conclusion, i.e. not assuming any ontology from the outset. Philosophically, I would say I am a pragmatist and phenomenologist.
It is true that I have been absent from the forum for quite a few months, almost the entire year.
I am mostly visiting the forum when I am looking for others to answer questions I have, I admit.
Thanks for clarifying :)
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Eugene I wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:49 am
Mark Tetzner wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:39 am Ashvin, are you a materialist or....
Ashvin got confused about BK's version of idealism by interpreting it as if it is not based on phenomenology, while BK said many times that what he means by "Mind" is equivalent to the potential and phenomenal content of conscious experiences and conscious activity (thinking, feeling, perceiving). BK calls this thinking activity using the word "Will" (following Schopenhauer), but it's essentially the same Thinking that Ashvin is talking about (following Steiner's terminology). So, I think it's just a terminological confusion, they are talking about the same thing, just using different words.

No, this is definitely incorrect. BK has never engaged in phenomenology or even mentioned phenomenology (Goethe, Steiner, Hegel, Husserl, Heidegger, Barfield, etc.) as a basis of his own philosophical conclusions. If one starts with abstractions about "MAL", "consciousness", "Will", etc., then the conclusions end up being completely wrong, because the living Thinking activity underlying the abstractions is never discovered.

Take a look at this thread about new Essentia creed and my response - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=632
Last edited by AshvinP on Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."
JeffreyW

Post by JeffreyW »

AshvinP wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:46 am
JeffreyW wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:30 am

That is why I disagree with Kant, Schopenhauer, and BK. Not just a little, but whole-heartedly :) But there are plenty of phenomenologists who concluded monism-idealism (did not start from it) and rejected Kantian epistemology. Phenomenology cannot possibly conclude "we are conscious of the shock before we attribute meaning". We attribute it subconsciously, but we are still attributing it. There cannot be an experience of "shock" devoid of all meaning. The fact that we cannot even speak of meaningless "shock" is a clue which points towards the meaningful essence of the primordial Logos.
Modern neuroscience traces the brain activity as it constructs the meaning. If our brains don’t construct meaning, then how do we go from electric impulses to some valid intuition of the world? The neuroscientist Anil Seth is very good on this.

I am kind of bewildered by the above comment, because it seems that you don't notice that you are presupposing materialist ontology, with all of its abstractions, before interpreting the science and then hanging the rest of your philosophy on that materialist interpretation of scientific data.
Physical as in energy, not material. Because it is the most elemental thing we know it has to be the starting point. You cannot just skip energy and assume consciousness. If we take away energy consciousness disappears,
JeffreyW

Post by JeffreyW »

Eugene I wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:51 am
JeffreyW wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:43 am Not equivalent. That we cannot explain how consciousness arises does not imply we can’t observe brain processing. We can see that the processsing happens as a second step.
What you are observing are only you conscious experiences (sense perceptions) of so-called "brain processing", but never the "brain processing" itself.
Doesn’t matter because it is real sense data of the processing and we can see it as after the shock. By the way ,consciousness is also just a term we use to represent something we don’t understand.
Mark Tetzner

Post by Mark Tetzner »

Posting this just for fun, I have watched it many times.
Good night gang.
JeffreyW

Post by JeffreyW »

Mark Tetzner wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:07 am Posting this just for fun, I have watched it many times.
Good night gang.
Good night. I’m out for tonight too.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

JeffreyW wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:55 am

Modern neuroscience traces the brain activity as it constructs the meaning. If our brains don’t construct meaning, then how do we go from electric impulses to some valid intuition of the world? The neuroscientist Anil Seth is very good on this.

I am kind of bewildered by the above comment, because it seems that you don't notice that you are presupposing materialist ontology, with all of its abstractions, before interpreting the science and then hanging the rest of your philosophy on that materialist interpretation of scientific data.
Physical as in energy, not material. Because it is the most elemental thing we know it has to be the starting point. You cannot just skip energy and assume consciousness. If we take away energy consciousness disappears,

We should really look at how many times we speak about "knowing" when arguing for some other non-thinking foundation for Reality. The word "know" sits there like the word "I" (or "we" since we are, after all, One), always present and always binding the meaning of all other parts of the sentence together, but their underlying meaning completely ignored by our rational intellect. I feel really bad for these words and the centuries of complete ignoring they have endured at this point...

But the reason we don't notice those words is precisely because the words indicate activity which is prior to all abstract Grounds of the world content. It is our own activity emanating from our most essential Self, but the spiritual "I" cannot observe itself like the physical "eye" cannot either. Therefore the meaning of these words are simply taken for granted in all prosaic speech, but it is also consciously ignored. Poetic speech, on the other hand, is more Self-aware of the "I" who "knows".

"Know’st thou what wove yon woodbird’s nest
Of leaves, and feathers from her breast?
Or how the fish outbuilt her shell,
Painting with morn each annual cell?
Or how the sacred pine-tree adds
To her old leaves new myriads?
Such and so grew these holy piles,
Whilst love and terror laid the tiles.
Earth proudly wears the Parthenon,
As the best gem upon her zone,
And Morning opes with haste her lids
To gaze upon the Pyramids;
O’er England’s abbeys bends the sky,
As on its friends, with kindred eye;
For out of Thought’s interior sphere
These wonders rose to upper air;
And Nature gladly gave them place,
Adopted them into her race,
And granted them an equal date
With Andes and with Ararat."
- Emerson
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."
Mark Tetzner

Post by Mark Tetzner »

The linguistic con-game of the mind/matter duality.
https://www.bernardokastrup.com/2015/05 ... atter.html
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

And as I awaken from last night's dreamscape to all these "good night" wishes, what should appear to this wondering mind but a battle of minds. And here I thought that Ashvin and Jeffrey were on the same page in their respective critiques of BK's ideas—well, apparently not so. And is that really any wonder, when as far as one can tell JW's critique is actually a rejection of idealism, i.e. the world as idea construction, period, while AP's critique is not that BK is positing idealism, but rather that his positing doesn't go nearly far enough into the profound implications of the world as idea construction. Will there be any reconciling of this, any bridging of this divide? Stay tuned ... but be prepared to stay in for the long haul ... you know, like for-friggin-ever! :?
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Ben Iscatus

Post by Ben Iscatus »

JW seems to be on a mission to prove metaphysics a failed enterprise, given up by all the great modern minds - self-confessed failures- with whom he aligns himself. To him, the divine substrate is, and will forever remain, unknowable quantum foam (which, paradoxically, he claims to know a bit about).

Thus he is reduced to criticising those who say otherwise. He does this by watching a couple of videos and nitpicking at them with lugubrious scorn.

Just one example: in his book "Decoding Schopenhauer's Metaphysics", BK uses quotes from Schop's own work to show how he believed that Will and Consciousness are equivalent. JW does not even do BK the justice of reading this when, repeating the misunderstandings of old Schop critics, he denounces the idea.

BK brings in evidence from modern neuroscience, foundations of physics, psychedelics and psychiatry to renew the ancient idea that Mind is at the root of everything. Observing that Mind is all we can know, BK starts with mind, works with mind and ends with mind. He shows that even if there is more than that, we have no need for it to account for the reality we experience. To BK, metaphysics is alive.

If you were BK, would you want to debate with some odd bod who thinks metaphysics is dead and insinuates that you don't even understand the meaning of the "meta" in metaphysics? It's just insulting.