Criticism

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Soul_of_Shu

Re: Criticism

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Ben Iscatus wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:20 pmIf you were BK, would you want to debate with some odd bod who thinks metaphysics is dead ...
Well, in the unlikely event that BK were to chime in, it seems he would pretty much repeat the following ...
AshvinP wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:46 am I am kind of bewildered by the above comment, because it seems that you don't notice that you are presupposing materialist ontology, with all of its abstractions, before interpreting the science and then hanging the rest of your philosophy on that materialist interpretation of scientific data.
Beyond that, anything else that BK might say is a moot point.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

JeffreyW wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:55 am Physical as in energy, not material. Because it is the most elemental thing we know it has to be the starting point. You cannot just skip energy and assume consciousness. If we take away energy consciousness disappears,
I'm sorry JF but this is laughable :lol:
End of discussion
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

AshvinP wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:54 am No, this is definitely incorrect. BK has never engaged in phenomenology or even mentioned phenomenology (Goethe, Steiner, Hegel, Husserl, Heidegger, Barfield, etc.) as a basis of his own philosophical conclusions. If one starts with abstractions about "MAL", "consciousness", "Will", etc., then the conclusions end up being completely wrong, because the living Thinking activity underlying the abstractions is never discovered.

Take a look at this thread about new Essentia creed and my response - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=632
Ashvin, this is your misunderstanding of BK's philosophy. In many videos BK mentioned that for him "Consciousness" or "Mind" is not an abstraction, but it is a linguistic label for the universe of actually experienced conscious phenomena. The same applies to Schopenhauer - his "Will" is just another linguistic term pointing to the same reality of consciously experienced phenomena.

The real difference between Berkley's/Hagel's lineage of idealism and BK's/Schopenhauer's is the interpretation of the state of cognition of Consciousness at Large. In BK's/Schopenhauer's version the MAL is instinctive and non-metacognitive, it does not reflect on what it is doing, so that it creates the universe of ideations without pre-meditation and any cognized purpose. That is why they call it "Will" - a pointer to its conscious but instinctive nature. The Berkley's/Hagel's version is "theistic" one where Consciousness is highly meta-cognitive and creates the universe of ideations purposely and pre-meditatively.
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

JeffreyW wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:55 am
AshvinP wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:46 am
JeffreyW wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:30 am

Modern neuroscience traces the brain activity as it constructs the meaning. If our brains don’t construct meaning, then how do we go from electric impulses to some valid intuition of the world? The neuroscientist Anil Seth is very good on this.

I am kind of bewildered by the above comment, because it seems that you don't notice that you are presupposing materialist ontology, with all of its abstractions, before interpreting the science and then hanging the rest of your philosophy on that materialist interpretation of scientific data.
Physical as in energy, not material. Because it is the most elemental thing we know it has to be the starting point. You cannot just skip energy and assume consciousness. If we take away energy consciousness disappears,

JW,

I will say here, though, that at least you have not followed people like Rovelli down into the abyss of "emptiness of emptiness" as the Ground. You seem to have stopped at energy, which is at least a concrete force we can observe in our immanent experience. Some people on this forum, including BK, do not realize how their abstraction of "instinctive consciousness" becomes practically equivalent to the physicalist abstract void over time. Owen Barfield correctly observed this development in the 1950s:

Barfield wrote:I do not think it too sweeping to say that the doctrines of logical of linguistic analysis... are no more than an extensive gloss on this principle. It's corollary, that all the propositions of logic are mere tautologies, is the heart of Wittgenstein's Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus which Bertrand Russell translated into English in 1922; and it is this broom with which it is hoped to sweep away, as meaningless, all statements not related to physically observable or verifiable events, to limit the sphere of man's knowledge to the increasingly tentative findings of physical science, and to dismiss all other affirmations as meaningless. For all propositions except those from which some observation-statement can be deduced are, it is averred, meaningless, either as misuse of language, or as tautologies...

In the days of Locke and Hume it was felt that science, the newcomer, required a foundation in philosophy; but since then the two have changed places. The startling and largely beneficent achievements of science in the practical business of manipulating matter and carting it to and fro have so impressed the mind of the empiricist that he is content to treat its ever-changing assumptions as 'given'. If he is a philosopher, he regards it as his business, not to question the scientific assumptions of the day, but rather to justify the ways of science to man.
Twentieth-century science has abolished the 'thing' altogether; and twentieth-century philosophy (that part of it, at least, which takes no account of imagination) has obediently followed suit. There are no objects, says the voice of Science, there are only bundles of waves or possibly something else; adding that, although it is convenient to think of them, it would be naïve to suppose that the waves or the something else actually exist. There is no 'referent', echoes the philosophy of linguistic analysis deferentially, no substance or underlying reality which is 'meant' by words. There are only descriptions, only the words themselves, though it 'happens to be the case' that men have from the beginning so persistently supposed the contrary that they positively cannot open their mouths with out doing so.

Your position re: energy remains tethered to concrete experience, and that is a positive, but is still ignoring the knowing element underlying physical manifestations of fields, energy, etc. Goethe expresses it succinctly in my footnote - those are all manifestations of the eternal idea through which we become aware and can speak about anything. It is key to understand that I do not start there as an assumption, though, but arrive there by careful reasoning through our immanent experience of perception-cognition. You are aware, of course, that is phenomenology. I am having a difficult time squaring your position with anything Heidegger writes in his lectures on Thinking. In general, he seems very far away from and critical of materialist ontology. But perhaps there are some passages in the original German which shed more light on that, and I am open to the possibility I have interpreted him incorrectly. As it stands, I think his lectures make clear that Thinking is to be considered a foundational aspect of the Ground i.e. Origin and primordial Logos.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Eugene I wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:19 pm
AshvinP wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:54 am No, this is definitely incorrect. BK has never engaged in phenomenology or even mentioned phenomenology (Goethe, Steiner, Hegel, Husserl, Heidegger, Barfield, etc.) as a basis of his own philosophical conclusions. If one starts with abstractions about "MAL", "consciousness", "Will", etc., then the conclusions end up being completely wrong, because the living Thinking activity underlying the abstractions is never discovered.

Take a look at this thread about new Essentia creed and my response - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=632
Ashvin, this is your misunderstanding of BK's philosophy. In many videos BK mentioned that for him "Consciousness" or "Mind" is not an abstraction, but it is a linguistic label for the universe of actually experienced conscious phenomena. The same applies to Schopenhauer - his "Will" is just another linguistic term pointing to the same reality of consciously experienced phenomena.

The real difference between Berkley's/Hagel's lineage of idealism and BK's/Schopenhauer's is the interpretation of the state of cognition of Consciousness at Large. In BK's/Schopenhauer's version the MAL is instinctive and non-metacognitive, it does not reflect on what it is doing, so that it creates the universe of ideations without pre-meditation and any cognized purpose. That is why they call it "Will" - a pointer to its conscious but instinctive nature. The Berkley's/Hagel's version is "theistic" one where Consciousness is highly meta-cognitive and creates the universe of ideations purposely and pre-meditatively.

Eugene,

Do you really think everything Cleric and myself have written here over the last 9 months or so, in critique of BK's Schop idealism, has been a giant misunderstanding of his position? The crux of the disagreement is not instinctive vs. "meta-cognitive", but abstract vs. concrete. Schop idealism held abstractly practically becomes materialism in its view of Nature, humanity, and the Cosmos at large. The abstract terminology is simply shuffled around. Have you read Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit or Science of Logic? You will not find anything even remotely resembling that approach in any of BK's writings. It's not about what BK claims about MAL being "actually experienced", it's about how the abstract concept of MAL functions in his analytic philosophy, i.e. his metaphysics, his epistemology, his ethics, his philosophy of science, etc.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
Ben Iscatus

Post by Ben Iscatus »

Beyond that, anything else that BK might say is a moot point.
More mute than moot I hope!
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

AshvinP wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:41 pm It's not about what BK claims about MAL being "actually experienced", it's about how the abstract concept of MAL functions in his analytic philosophy, i.e. his metaphysics, his epistemology, his ethics, his philosophy of science, etc.
In that you refer to an uncaused, irreducible immanent Thinking, i.e. meaningful ideation, as the starting premise, i.e. the ever-present origin, is that not the very definition of an uncaused, irreducible Mind? If so, I'm not quite getting how it differs from M@L willing. Is that somehow less meaningful?
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:29 pm
AshvinP wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:41 pm It's not about what BK claims about MAL being "actually experienced", it's about how the abstract concept of MAL functions in his analytic philosophy, i.e. his metaphysics, his epistemology, his ethics, his philosophy of science, etc.
In that you refer to an uncaused, irreducible immanent Thinking, i.e. meaningful ideation, as the starting premise, i.e. the ever-present origin, is that not the very definition of an uncaused, irreducible Mind? If so, I'm not quite getting how it differs from M@L willing. Is that somehow less meaningful?

Here is the difference - we conclude irreducible Thinking as the Ground after reasoning through immanent experience, while BK (and Schop) assumes "MAL willing" as the Ground (which also contains an implicit dualism between MAL/alter, Will-thinking). Again, it is not about what anyone claims about the Ground (of course BK will claim instinctive MAL is concrete conclusion of Schop idealism and has no implicit dualism), but how the concept actually functions in his philosophical system. Reading PoF will make the difference abudantly clear, because Steiner takes us step-by-step through the phenomenology of Thinking and also directly addresses the differences with Kant-Schop criticial idealism. In the meantime, an illustration of the practical difference just dawned on me.

Some may have come across this discussion about Kieslowski before. What struck me back then and still does now is BK completely missing the deep and objective spiritual implications of these aesthetics of the "Color Trilogy", on a Gnostic podcast no less. That is simply a place he won't go, beyond mere "psychological" glosses on the art, and that refusal to go deeper is a direct consequence of his analytic philosophical approach. It has simply foreordained that he cannot go deeper. So these practical consequences reach even into the fields of mythology, religion, human history, cultural evolution, aesthetics, etc., and those are practically the fields which will aid us the most in overcoming the nihilism of physicalist mindset.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

AshvinP wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:04 pm

Here is the difference - we conclude irreducible Thinking as the Ground after reasoning through immanent experience, while BK (and Schop) assumes "MAL willing" as the Ground (which also contains an implicit dualism between MAL/alter, Will-thinking). Again, it is not about what anyone claims about the Ground (of course BK will claim instinctive MAL is concrete conclusion of Schop idealism and has no implicit dualism), but how the concept actually functions in his philosophical system. Reading PoF will make the difference abudantly clear, because Steiner takes us step-by-step through the phenomenology of Thinking and also directly addresses the differences with Kant-Schop criticial idealism. In the meantime, an illustration of the practical difference just dawned on me.
Some may have come across this discussion about Kieslowski before. What struck me back then and still does now is BK completely missing the deep and objective spiritual implications of these aesthetics of the "Color Trilogy", on a Gnostic podcast no less. That is simply a place he won't go, beyond mere "psychological" glosses on the art, and that refusal to go deeper is a direct consequence of his analytic philosophical approach. It has simply foreordained that he cannot go deeper. So these practical consequences reach even into the fields of mythology, religion, human history, cultural evolution, aesthetics, etc., and those are practically the fields which will aid us the most in overcoming the nihilism of physicalist mindset.

I just noticed Cleric's latest post on the other thread also addresses your question:

Cleric wrote:The real trouble is that the modern intellect lives continuously in this thinking intuition but wants to build picture of reality only as arrangement of thought-images. In other words, it must be ensured that thought-images stand on their own, as if having nothing to do with the activity that imprints them in the world content. This is also the reason why any intellectual attempt to approach thinking, fails miserably. Thinking is confronted with great contradiction. It is very easy to trace this in our modern age when concepts as Turing machine are common understanding. Thinking which wants to understand itself as arrangement of thought-images of concepts related through abstract laws, tries to grasp itself as some mechanism which ultimately can be presented as a universal state machine. It doesn't matter if it's imagined that the 'substance' of this machine is physical, spiritual, energetic or whatever. It's the mode of cognition that is the same in all cases. As thinking juggles with the concepts reflected in thought-images, it says "So this neuron activates this neuron" or "this is the soul, it excites these thoughts" or "This is MAL, it ripples through these alters" and so on. What is common in all these cases is that the above thoughts don't really say anything about the thinking spiritual activity which thinks these thoughts in real time. These thoughts look away from their origin. They represent an imagined thinking organism and its laws of operation which however can exist in this way only as long as the comfortable distance between real thinking and the thought-images is maintained. [i.e. abstraction]
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

AshvinP wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:04 pm

Not sure, but I've probably watched that video before, but will give it a listen again, and ponder it in the context of your remarks. Out of curiosity, have you read BK's Dreamed Up Reality: Diving Into Mind to Uncover the Astonishing Hidden Tale of Nature?—which next to More Than Allegory is perhaps the work I most resonate with. The reason I ask is that I wonder if you might find these earlier musings of BK, presumably preceding the later influence of Schopenhauer, also more resonant, and more in sync with what you are alluding to. If not, why not?