Consciousness, Civilization and Citizenship

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: Consciousness, Civilization and Citizenship

Post by AshvinP »

I guess I don't need to make anyone spell it out... but was kind of hoping my initial assumptions were wrong. This is exactly what I was referring to on the Jorjani thread when I said,
I am convinced that such policies are the inevitable conclusion of 'post-modern' thinking which does not find any telos in the process which brought us to where we are
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

I know what mice are... what or who are they are they representing in this analogy?
The analogy belongs to Santeri. I interpreted it as a challenge to my notion that 'kind regard' might solve conflicts. Basically, he likes to stress that there are no rules (including this one), with which I gotta agree but, nevertheless, our back-and-forth is full of fun banter.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Mice.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Lou Gold wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:34 am
I know what mice are... what or who are they are they representing in this analogy?
The analogy belongs to Santeri. I interpreted it as a challenge to my notion that 'kind regard' might solve conflicts. Basically, he likes to stress that there are no rules (including this one), with which I gotta agree but, nevertheless, our back-and-forth is full of fun banter.
There are no rules against using lethal force to eradicate people whose actions you perceive to be a threat to the 'ecosystem'? That's news to me and doesn't sound like being a responsible Citizen in any sense of that word.

And you do realize how the thought/image of rodents has been widely used to characterize populations who are the targets of genocidal policies, right?
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
David_Sundaram

Post by David_Sundaram »

AshvinP wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:27 amI know what mice are... what or who are they are they representing in this analogy?
Yah, Sanman. I too am awaiting your clarification.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Am I missing something here? I understood that Santeri and Lou were literally referring to mice and mouse traps, and the ethical consideration of how to keep them from setting up house in an actual house ~ short of subjecting them to a painful death trap ~ where they are prone to possibly damaging the premises, including chewing up the electrical wire insulation for nesting material, creating fire hazards. My suggestion ... get a cat. :)
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:08 pm I know what mice are... what or who are they are they representing in this analogy?

Am I missing something here? I understood that Santeri and Lou were literally referring to mice and mouse traps, and the ethical consideration of how to keep them from setting up house in an actual house, where they are prone to possibly damaging the premises ~ including chewing up the electrical wire insulation for nesting material, creating fire hazards. My suggestion ... get a cat. :)
LOL. Yes, you are missing something... but for the sake of Civility, I will drop this line of questioning. Let's also drop this talk of "mice" and "mouse-traps".
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Mice.
Scurrying among crumbs falling, rising, swirling from much bigger stuff going on.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

OK, still not seeing the figurative context. But if indeed there is some insidious intent, this figurative 'cat' will be on the prowl.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:41 pm OK, still not seeing the figurative context. But if indeed there is some insidious intent, this figurative 'cat' will be on the prowl.
You were correct about the literal meaning. Now, the tone figuratively shifts toward we are the mice and, as usual, the context is a great mysteriousness.