Phenomenological idealism: definitions of common terms

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
ScottRoberts

Re: Phenomenological idealism: definitions of common terms

Post by ScottRoberts »

Eugene I wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:16 pm
Cleric, I understand what you are saying. Indeed, the ability of consciousness to cognate and experience meanings is amazing an mysterious and allows for the rich and interconnected universe of meanings to exist in consciousness. However, in philosophical terms phenomenology does not study the meanings and their inter-relations with themselves and with the rest of reality, that belongs to epistemology. Phenomenology studies the raw conscious phenomena themselves, as was quoted from philosophical encyclopedia at the start of this thread, including all sense perceptions, feelings, thoughts and imaginations, and their qualia, but not including the meanings and ideas that the thoughts and imaginations bear. The challenge with studying the meanings is related to their complicated relations with the rest of reality (consciousness itself and the raw phenomena).

For example, I can have a thought bearing an idea/meaning of a "material world" existing beyond consciousness. Using my imagination I can imagine it very vividly. But the question is: how does this meaning relates to the reality? Does such material world actually exist? How do I know if it is true or not? Or I can have an idea of some advanced mathematical construct, for example, an uncountable infinity (Kantor's aleph 1). Does it exists in any way in reality other than just as a meaning of my thought in my imagination? Phenomenology does not address these questions, but epistemology does.

But that problem also applies to what you wrote and to PoF. Yes, by using Imaginative and Intuitive higher cognition we can have very high-level subtle imaginations and ideas, and we can have it in a shared way between a group of people. For example, we can both have intuitions and imaginations about Zodiacs. I can imagine and intuit Zodiacs and their possible relations with the life on Earth. But how do we know and verify in a spiritually-scientific way that the Zodiacs in fact are parts of the structures that govern the phenomenal realities that we experience as sense perceptions (i.e. the realities of the apparent physical world), and that they are not just our shared imaginations? We can imagine together a shared idea of a Pink Unicorn. But how do we know that it corresponds to any actual reality? This is very important question and I think people asked you about it on this forum: how do you know that your higher-cognition imaginations have any relevance to actual reality of the spiritual and/or physical world? What is a way to verify them and not just take them as beliefs? These are, again, epistemological questions.
This looks to me like the source of confusion. You see a difference between phenomenology and epistemology because your notion of epistemology stems from Kant, which presupposes a divide between what is real and what we know about it. Steiner's philosophical work was all about correcting this Kantian error. Kant's epistemology was asking "how do we know what is real about the world outside of us (his answer being "we can't"). Steiner, instead, asked, "What do we know", his answer being: phenomena (including the phenomena of thinking). Spiritual Science is about expanding our phenomenal universe, and hence increasing our knowledge. In short, Steiner's phenomenology is his epistemology, which differs from yours and Kant's.

This distinction between Kant's epistemology and Steiner's is perhaps better made clear in Steiner's book Truth and Knowledge, for which a good overview (47 page PDF) was linked to earlier: [url=https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... teiner.pdf[/url]

The book itself is available at rsarchive.org.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Eugene I wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:40 am Ashvin, I don't care about modern dualism-materialism, I don't care about BK's idealism and modern science here. You don't understand what I'm asking here.

There is my actual 1-st person intimate experience of consciousness as a mysterious reality that manifests and experiences phenomena, ideas and thoughts. This Thinking is not something apart from thoughts and ideas and phenomena, they are inseparable, they are all part of the same reality. This is multiplicity, not dualism, as I said above. This Thinking is NOT AN IDEA!, it is an experiential reality. But Thinking can also experience itself and reflect on itself though a reflective thought/idea. So I have an idea "the Thinking experience is real", this idea points to the experiential fact of Thinking experiencing Thinking itself. But Thinking can also manifest an idea "there is no such thing as Thinking experiencing, it's an illusion (c) Dennett". So now I have two ideas both real and existing simultaneously but contradicting each other as polarities. Imagine that: Thinking is so powerful that it can think that it does not exist! And the idea that "Thinking does not exist" is as real as the idea "Thinking exists" and as real as Thinking itself. WOW! But Thinking in actuality can not exist and not exist simultaneously. The epistemological question now is: which one of these two ideas are the Truth corresponding to the actuality of Thinking? And how do we find this out?

Well, you now have three different people on this thread telling you that your entire understanding of "idea" is colored by Kantian dualism and reductionism which naturally unfolds from dualism. We have all responded in very different ways, from elaborate detailed posts to quotes of other thinkers to links to various materials for reference. I am also trying to explain why your confidence that you have overcome Kantian dualism is a direct consequence of that dualism, i.e. the perception of these worldviews as a mere accumulation of insubstantial "ideas" that can be adopted and cast off in our knowing inquiries at will. Are we all completely misunderstanding what you are saying and asking after 9 months? I hope you can see why that is an extremely unlikely possibility, at least.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Martin_

Post by Martin_ »

It's like this
I understand
No, you don't
Then show me
I can't

Rinse. repeat.

Not blaming anyone btw...
"I don't understand." /Unknown
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

Martin_ wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:24 pm It's like this
I understand
No, you don't
Then show me
I can't

Rinse. repeat.

Not blaming anyone btw...
Bingo! :lol:

I'm now not asserting anything at all. I'm starting from tabular rasa.
I'm not a philosopher, I'm an engineer and spiritual practitioner in search for the Truth. I need a practical epistemological method that I can apply to distinguish true knowledge from false knowledge.
I understand all faultiness of Kantian, metaphysical, analytical, linguistic and scientific method approaches. Dump them to the toilet.
Now what?
I'm simply asking one question. Thinking manifests ideas, unlimited number of ones, including the ones totally contradicting each other.
Let's take two testcases:

Case #1
1. "Conscious experience is real/present"
2. "Conscious experience is not real, not present" - Dennett's claim.

Case #2:
1. "Conscious experience arises from energy" per JF claim
2. "Conscious experience does not arise from energy" per idealism

Which of those are actually true? Or both? One none? What does it mean for an idea to be "true"?

All epistemology of previous philosophy (Kantian, analytical, scientific and what's not) does not help here. Fine, dump it.

So now, I'm asking: how can PoF help me here? See next post
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

ScottRoberts wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:45 am
This looks to me like the source of confusion. You see a difference between phenomenology and epistemology because your notion of epistemology stems from Kant, which presupposes a divide between what is real and what we know about it. Steiner's philosophical work was all about correcting this Kantian error. Kant's epistemology was asking "how do we know what is real about the world outside of us (his answer being "we can't"). Steiner, instead, asked, "What do we know", his answer being: phenomena (including the phenomena of thinking). Spiritual Science is about expanding our phenomenal universe, and hence increasing our knowledge. In short, Steiner's phenomenology is his epistemology, which differs from yours and Kant's.

This distinction between Kant's epistemology and Steiner's is perhaps better made clear in Steiner's book Truth and Knowledge, for which a good overview (47 page PDF) was linked to earlier: [url=https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... teiner.pdf[/url]

The book itself is available at rsarchive.org.
Scott, thanks for coming here, I hope you can help me to figure it out, so please bear with me and remain on the thread.
OK, I'm taking all my claims back and not asserting anything. Thanks for the link, this is a treasure, I'm studying this paper right now. I will respond today with my further questions, stay tuned.
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Eugene I wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:49 pm Case #2:
1. "Conscious experience arises from energy" per JF claim
Eugene ... you've referred a number of times now to JF, and I had no clue as to who JF is until now: you mean Jeffrey Williams. One does feel for any participants delving into the forum for the first time, if beginning with this thread, trying to figure out who all these abbreviations are referring to.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Which is true, the image or the thought?

Right now I'm looking at a living tree, and thinking: Whatever it may actually be, beyond any thought about it, it is not a mere identifier, i.e. a 'tree.' It seems truer to say that I've no idea what it is, than to limit it by labelling it at all. Indeed, my thinking about it, and by extension labelling it, has turned it into a provisional story. Absent any story about it at all, what is it? All that I find in common here is the 'story-maker'.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Martin_ wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:24 pm I can't
Where you get "I can't" from 5 pages of lengthy comments all taking different approaches to explaining the same underlying issue, I have no idea...

99, if not 100, % of confusion on this forum surrounding "phenomenological idealism", or really any issue in modern life, is projecting one's inability to understand the issue onto those trying to explain it, or onto the structure of Reality itself, by saying "there must not be an explanation at all if I have not understood it yet". The paper Scott provided to Eugene here was posted by Anthony last week and commented on a few times by myself, and I also incorporated some of it into an essay on the 'liminal spaces' of perception. So I think it behooves everyone to keep in mind this all too common and stultifying projection of the modern age.

Anyway, this is an open question to anyone following along. It is not a trick question - it may help us converge on an understanding of "idea" in the sense of phenomenological idealism. Where would you 'place' ideas such as "conscious experience arises from energy" or "conscious experience does not arise form energy" or "this is not a pipe", if you must choose one spot, in the below image?

"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

AshvinP wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:42 pm Anyway, this is an open question to anyone following along. It is not a trick question - it may help us converge on an understanding of "idea" in the sense of phenomenological idealism. Where would you 'place' ideas such as "conscious experience arises from energy" or "conscious experience does not arise form energy" or "this is not a pipe", if you must choose one spot, in the below image?
In the spot that corresponds to the 'story-maker'.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:48 pm
AshvinP wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:42 pm Anyway, this is an open question to anyone following along. It is not a trick question - it may help us converge on an understanding of "idea" in the sense of phenomenological idealism. Where would you 'place' ideas such as "conscious experience arises from energy" or "conscious experience does not arise form energy" or "this is not a pipe", if you must choose one spot, in the below image?
In the spot that corresponds to the 'story-maker'.

To be clear, I am asking where you would place the meaning that one reflects when perceiving these thought-forms. Same answer? If so, then my follow up is where you place the 'story-maker'?

Also, let me specify that this image represents the Cosmic Idea in all of its manifestations up to present day.