A personal beef.

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Soul_of_Shu

Re: A personal beef.

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Lou Gold wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:51 pm

I'm stretching to find right language. I intellectually comprehend that the above image is a sensual representation and I grok what it's about. However, it does not generate a sensual feeling or recognition within me. What would be the poet's term for that feeling? A feeling like the one stimulated by Guernica.

Well, interpretation of art is always going to be highly subjective, and contingent upon cultural influences, as well as subliminal karmic influences. What may feel sensual to some, may be of no appeal to others whatsoever. Guernica is reminiscent of some nightmares I used to have, though not so much these days, and certainly speaks to the unbearably agonizing collective grief from time immemorial—might it even be the grief of God?—that I still tap into in the dreamtime. Yet still, even in the midst of that profound grief, I've known the bliss of Being, and can embrace it as one would a sensuous lover, albeit perhaps one that is into BDSM ... Vive la difference ;)
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:01 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:51 pm

I'm stretching to find right language. I intellectually comprehend that the above image is a sensual representation and I grok what it's about. However, it does not generate a sensual feeling or recognition within me. What would be the poet's term for that feeling? A feeling like the one stimulated by Guernica.

Well, interpretation of art is always going to be highly subjective, and contingent upon cultural influences, as well as subliminal karmic influences. What may feel sensual to some, may be of no appeal to others whatsoever. Guernica is reminiscent of some nightmares I used to have, though not so much these days, and certainly speaks to the unbearably agonizing collective grief from time immemorial—might it even be the grief of God?—that I still tap into in the dreamtime. Yet still, even in the midst of that profound grief, I've known the bliss of Being, and can embrace it as one would a sensuous lover, albeit perhaps one that is into BDSM ... Vive la difference ;)

I'm not surprised or shocked that you have experienced profound joy along with the deepest grief. This is what Thich Nhat Hanh speaks of in his great poem:
Please call me by my true names,
so I can hear all my cries and laughter at once,
so I can see that my joy and pain are one.

Haven't you illustrated what I've been speaking of, that visual images and poetry are able to evoke profound feelings and that it feels strange to me to assign them to a separate category called, "Metaphysically Relevant Art-Forms." And so, once again, to the words of Ibn' Arabi:

Dearly beloved!
Let us go toward Union.
And if we find the road
That leads to separation,
We will destroy separation.

Yeah, I know, it's a personal beef. Thanks for the discussion. I like what it provoked. And I like the way you moderate this forum.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Well, interpretation of art is always going to be highly subjective

But, isn't this the point? The world is not an object. It is a subjective experience. This is the theme of Pinchbeck's rave essay about idealism and BK.

Idealism, not being compelling in itself, therefore drives us into the individual responsibilities of a more participatory world.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love