Message from BK

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: Message from BK

Post by AshvinP »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:54 pm
Justathought wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:31 pm I presume he's talking about this forum...

https://twitter.com/BernardoKastrup/sta ... 4529022985
Yes ... Eugene actually took it upon himself to message Bernardo with a rant about a cult of Anthroposophy, headed by members of the official Society by that name, prompting BK to email me to get my take in the situation. I've since replied to BK and made clear that I suggest he disregard the rant as being utterly misleading. However, I agreed that for other reasons it is best that he remove the active link from his blog, so as to not give the impression that the forum is a place that new members are likely to be able to engage with him, or that it is a place predominantly focused specifically on his ideas, as opposed to also finding critiques of his ideas. Suffice to say, that anyone who is truly bothered by the way the forum has evolved since BK first conceived it almost 10 years ago, or the way that it is being moderated, then they are free to not participate, or start another forum, as one member did on Reddit.

It's disappointingly ironic that BK had to ask you what was happening on the forum, i.e. not only was he not reading anyone's comments this entire time, but he refused to do so even after Eugene spread his egoistic falsehoods to BK in the private message. It goes to show how right you were, Dana, when saying BK checked out of his own forum long before this new one was created. I know everyone is busy with their careers and personal lives, but when your career is philosophy mostly carried out on the internet, you would think there would be more interest in the forum with your name where everyone is coming for years to complement, comment, or critique as the case may be. If he had decided to read over the comments, then he would have known Eugene is spreading falsehoods without asking you.

I would actually hazard a guess that not a single detailed spiritual claim of Steiner's Anthroposophy has ever been shared here, unless someone else first specifically asked about those details. As Cleric remarked many times, doing so would defeat the entire purpose of what we are writing here, which is to stimulate people towards rigorous spiritual thought so they can reach their own conclusions in freedom. My mythology essays contained vague references to Christian spiritual tradition in general, but obviously that is necessary when examining the evolution of philosophy and mythology over the epochs, and is what BK himself has done in MTA. It's quite fantastic how Eugene's path here was a never-ending series of projections - he ruled out the possibility of non-abstract representational Thinking, and then says Thinking about the spiritual cannot go beyond mere fantasy. He first brought up Steiner and Anthrosophy in just about every post before Cleric or myself did, and then complains to BK that people are talking about Steiner too much.

And all of that occurred without him ever having read Steiner's PoF (which contains no specific spiritual claims)! The silver lining is that genuinely curious minds can explore another deeper facet of metaphysical idealism now without Eugene egoistically derailing every thread, at least until he decides to unquit and insert himself again. People can question, challenege, critique, or whatever they choose, and know that a living human being is actually on the other end reading what they write, considering it thoughtfully, and responding. At least that is what I hope for this forum going forward. If not, then I am sure that those people who want to continue discussing thoughtfully will find a way to reach each other and do so in a new location. And thank you for handling all of this so admirably, Dana!
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

I'd rather not dwell on this sorry episode. I'm completely fine with anyone's decision to move on from the forum, and understand that it can actually feel like a counterproductive distraction for some. As for the rest, I only ask that you proceed in good faith, and trust that each of us is truly drawn here by the same desire to find a way to help each other on the journey, however faltering it may seem at times. I truly feel that there is no-one here that I can't learn a valuable lesson from, and the moment I stop being open to that, I've only hindered myself, and can help nobody else.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:29 am I'd rather not dwell on this sorry episode. I'm completely fine with anyone's decision to move on from the forum, and understand that it can actually feel like a counterproductive distraction for some. As for the rest, I only ask that you proceed in good faith, and trust that each of us is truly drawn here by the same desire to find a way to help each other on the journey, however faltering it may seem at times. I truly feel that there is no-one here that I can't learn a valuable lesson from, and the moment I stop being open to that, I've only hindered myself, and can help nobody else.

I hope you see I am proceeding in good faith, despite all the reasons to assume the worst. I have seen enough here to know the phantom layer of abstract concepts moving in circular logic is no joke. It is the real deal. Addiciton is the best metaphor here (more than a metaphor, really) - when we are flowing along with the destructive patterned thinking, we will have no idea it is a problem. All of our addictive behaviors will seem perfectly natural and justified to us. It is only when we seriously confront it with our thought that it rises up against us as a terrible force of nature. But we are sorely mistaken if we assume our own ignorance is an excuse, especially after it is repeatedly brought to our attention. Actually, that is the reason why we avoiding confronting it - we don't want to assume responsibility for it and feel ignoring it will keep it at a safe distance, as a vague dream we once had. But no one else is going to take responsibility for our addiction. This is not about who is "right" and who is "wrong", it is about all of us helping each other to overcome the addictions we all share. And one person who refuses to do that but also wants to express his opinion loudly and often can easily make it very difficult for everyone else in the group who has admitted they have a problem.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

AshvinP wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:09 am
I hope you see I am proceeding in good faith, despite all the reasons to assume the worst. I have seen enough here to know the phantom layer of abstract concepts moving in circular logic is no joke. It is the real deal. Addiciton is the best metaphor here (more than a metaphor, really) - when we are flowing along with the destructive patterned thinking, we will have no idea it is a problem. All of our addictive behaviors will seem perfectly natural and justified to us. It is only when we seriously confront it with our thought that it rises up against us as a terrible force of nature. But we are sorely mistaken if we assume our own ignorance is an excuse, especially after it is repeatedly brought to our attention. Actually, that is the reason why we avoiding confronting it - we don't want to assume responsibility for it and feel ignoring it will keep it at a safe distance, as a vague dream we once had. But no one else is going to take responsibility for our addiction. This is not about who is "right" and who is "wrong", it is about all of us helping each other to overcome the addictions we all share. And one person who refuses to do that but also wants to express his opinion loudly and often can easily make it very difficult for everyone else in the group who has admitted they have a problem.
Maybe the 12 step AA program could work for abstraction addiction. "My name is so-'n-so and I'm an addict ... " ;)
maybe_my_monkey

Post by maybe_my_monkey »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:21 pm
maybe_my_monkey wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:45 pm I would be grateful if you deleted my account as I can't see a way to do from my profile.
Signing out of the account, and not signing back in, has pretty much the same effect. But I can probably find a way to delete your account, if you can't manage to resist. ;)
I'd be grateful if you honoured my request, so that my email address isn't in your system.

Thanks and all the best to you Shu.
Ben Iscatus

Post by Ben Iscatus »

I'm very disappointed that Eugene felt he had to leave. He was a fantastic asset to all discussions. I sincerely hope he reconsiders. It of course makes sense that BK should move away from a forum which has been increasingly critical of his ideas. It's doubtful the forum can make it on its own in the long term. New participants mainly arrive due to popular appeal, and being directed here from BK's website was vital. Don't bite the hand that feeds! Without that, it becomes a coterie - and no-one here seems to want to be reduced to that (or we'd be participating in a subreddit already). Shame.
Mark Tetzner

Post by Mark Tetzner »

Years ago I checked out Sam Harris forum it is huge. Leo Gura has one too. It is an asset provided to those who follow certain people. Do you guys really think "no time" is an excuse or that a forum like this exists not only so that BK can read you but is obligated to so so?
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Mark Tetzner wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:15 pm Years ago I checked out Sam Harris forum it is huge. Leo Gura has one too. It is an asset provided to those who follow certain people. Do you guys really think "no time" is an excuse or that a forum like this is here so that BK can read YOU?

Not read, just skim at least... and, if some point happens to catch his attention, he can follow up on it and consider how it may fit within the harmony of ideal facts. Yes, I do think forums like this one fundamentally exist so that everyone can learn from everyone and everything which comes into their field of awareness, through loving attention and careful reasoning, even if that's not what the 'demiurge' intended for us. I have absolutely no interest in a forum which draws on a pool of 'fans' of BK just to get the numbers up, but ceaselessly travels in the same small circumference of circular logic where no one participating actually learns anything new. I will continue contributing to this one as long as there are a few people still interested in genuine discussions, but I also broadened out participation to other forums as well. It's not about the numbers or the adherence to this or that thinker's abstract intellectual theory, but about the ideal content and the willingness of those participating to consider that content carefully and thoughtfully.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Ben Iscatus wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:21 am I'm very disappointed that Eugene felt he had to leave. He was a fantastic asset to all discussions. I sincerely hope he reconsiders. It of course makes sense that BK should move away from a forum which has been increasingly critical of his ideas. It's doubtful the forum can make it on its own in the long term. New participants mainly arrive due to popular appeal, and being directed here from BK's website was vital. Don't bite the hand that feeds! Without that, it becomes a coterie - and no-one here seems to want to be reduced to that (or we'd be participating in a subreddit already). Shame.
Eugene is welcome at any time, as long as he desists from making provocative accusations that other participants are members of a cult whose contributions here are detrimental to co-participants. I won't share the detailed email exchange with BK, but suffice to say he was quite clear that he is highly dubious of this claim, and suspects ulterior personal motives are at work. In any case, before any of this, on advice from others BK was already questioning the habit of redirecting his audience to the forum, where he his not invested in the evolution of its ideation, which may well be in directions that he finds counter-productive to his role as he now sees it. And indeed, if the forum can't thrive based on its own merits, then perhaps it's destined to pass away naturally due to lack of enough participation. I have no illusions about having any control over that.

Further to the point of finding it a counter-productive distraction, it does sometimes feel like how someone is trying to quit smoking while mostly hanging out with smokers, where cigarettes are constantly on offer. It may well be that some would be better off in the forest, communing with trees and fungi and such, doing far more breath-work, shadow-healing, and contemplative practice in quietude, and far less time spent on this fixation with the power of rhetorical persuasion.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

maybe_my_monkey wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:46 am I'd be grateful if you honoured my request, so that my email address isn't in your system.
Thanks and all the best to you Shu.
I'll get around to that today.