Ask-me-anything questions for BK

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Soul_of_Shu

Ask-me-anything questions for BK

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

As BK has hinted that, in lieu of this kind of forum engagement, he might do some 'ask-me-anything' events, hosted by some select podcasters/youtubers—Curt Jaimungal seems like a good candidate in that role—I'm thinking it might be a good idea to compile a list of questions here, in preparation for such an event, should one of us get the chance to sit in on one of those AMAs, assuming it's done in some impromptu zoom session, and isn't just BK answering some select questions that have been screened in advance.

For starters I'd like to ask: Why is it that you've expressed an inclination to distance yourself from the likes of Steiner, and occultism in general, and worry about being associated with a forum where such topics may send confusing messages to your audience, and yet have gladly associated yourself with Daniel Pinchbeck, author of 2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl, sharing his recent endorsement of your work, who himself has made a connection between your ideas and Steiner's? Likewise, you've recently associated with the Coast-to-Coast AM podcast, a channel that mostly focuses on all kinds of occult related topics, apparently getting over a million hits, indicative of your audience being not far removed from their audience, and is quite open the very ideas that you claim you'd rather be distanced from. Is this not also sending mixed messages?
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
AshvinP

Re: Ask-me-anything questions for BK

Post by AshvinP »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:24 pm As BK has hinted that, in lieu of this kind of forum engagement, he might do some 'ask-me-anything' events, hosted by some select podcasters/youtubers—Curt Jaimungal seems like a good candidate in that role—I'm thinking it might be a good idea to compile a list of questions here, in preparation for such an event, should one of us get the chance to sit in on one of those AMAs, assuming it's done in some impromptu zoom session, and isn't just BK answering some select questions that have been screened in advance.

For starters I'd like to ask: Why is it that you've expressed an inclination to distance yourself from the likes of Steiner, and occultism in general, and worry about being associated with a forum where such topics may send confusing messages to your audience, and yet have gladly associated yourself with Daniel Pinchbeck, author of 2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl, sharing his recent endorsement of your work, who himself has made a connection between your ideas and Steiner's? Likewise, you've recently associated with the Coast-to-Coast AM podcast, a channel that mostly focuses on all kinds of occult related topics, apparently getting over a million hits, indicative of your audience being not far removed from their audience, and is quite open the very ideas that you claim you'd rather be distanced from. Is this not also sending mixed messages?

Great question, Dana :)

While we wait for BK to answer these questions... I think the reason is clear - he will happily endorse anyone who is not challenging his view, i.e. someone who is willing to modify Steiner to fit BK's view, rather than asking BK to modify his own view. As for occult topics, I think plenty of people love to speculate about that stuff at arm's length, but don't want it to come any closer than that.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Shaibei

Post by Shaibei »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:24 pm
A long time ago, I've commented on Bernardo's FB post, linking his ideas to those of Salomon Maimon. A few weeks later he posted a link to a blog comparing his ideas with those of Maimon (the guy read my comment). I can tell you that what these 2 share is a rigorous discussion about idealism (there aren't many philosophers who really discuss with Kant like Maimon, many though like to think so ), but apart from that i can tell they are quite different
"And a mute thought sails,
like a swift cloud on high.
Were I to ask, here below,
Amongst the gates of desolation:
Where goes
this captive of the heavens?
There is no one who can reveal to me the book,
or explain to me the chapters."
findingblanks

Post by findingblanks »

Dana that is seriously a great question.

My experience leads me to believe that when Bernardo feels a personal warmth towards somebody he is very eager to speak with them and even be associated with them, even if they are very hostile to his views and mock them. But the moment Bernardo has a feeling of antipathy towards a person or group, he tends to claim that his strong reactions are due to his need to protect and fight against the horrible ideas. He always says it isn't personal, that he's just fighting a battle. It doesn't seem that way to me, especially when he is so chummy with folks who mock his ideas explicitly when he isn't speaking to them directly.

I'm glad you made this subsection to collect question and I think you'll do a great job of picking out the best ones to eventually share with BK. I hope your natural humility doesn't cause you to hold your question back.
findingblanks

Post by findingblanks »

Bernardo, sometimes you characterize your notion of what happens after death is a realization like, "Oh, this was who I have always been!" and you laugh and express the surprise it might be like. My understanding of your model is that there would be no surprise because any 'surprise' presupposes the dissociated alter 'having' the surprise. I'm curious if there is something in your model I'm missing that would allow there to be an experience of surprise by M@L after an alter dissipates?
findingblanks

Post by findingblanks »

Bernardo, you've shared that your belief that experience continues after death (as M@L) does not bring you comfort because it means you will never experience relief from the negative experience you have being alive. I'm confused because your model's notion of M@L doesn't seem to indicate that M@L would be having the kind of trauma that alters would necessarily go through in their development. What specifically do you imagine about the nature of M@L that causes you to prefer the notion of death being an event that simply ends all experience?
findingblanks

Post by findingblanks »

Bernardo, does anything about idealism suggest that one could predict that an organization created by and filled with idealists would be more free of the kinds of problems that comes with selfishness and other basic ego dynamics? In other words, should we expect that an idealist organization will at least in general reflect more compassion and generosity and flexibility than an organization primarily composed of physicalists. If so, I imagine that your new job provides a much more comfortable setting than whatever you experienced in the hallways of CERN. I do not believe that idealism brings with it a shift in moral intuitions, but I have heard you very often say that idealism will help solve the kind of selfishness that you believe results from a physicalist world-view. I say that is a rampant idealist, by the way :)
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Bernardo,

I'm a storyteller rather a philosopher. I wonder if there is a story from scripture, mythology, folklore, popular fiction or written by yourself, which you feel gives meaning and purpose to your version of idealism. I'm looking for a story, once read, would call the reader toward being an idealist. And, if they were called, what ideals would they try to enact in the practical world?
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love