A hypothetical for Bernardo and for YOU

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
findingblanks

A hypothetical for Bernardo and for YOU

Post by findingblanks »

What do you think would be Bernardo's response to this question:

What's more reasonable/possible

a) solipsism being the case
b) consciousness being derived from something non-conscious

Thanks

JF
AshvinP

Re: A hypothetical for Bernardo and for YOU

Post by AshvinP »

A.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Matthew Brett

Post by Matthew Brett »

What do you mean by consciousness, or non-conscious? I could, for example, answer B because more plausible than solipsism is the idea that the kind of consciousness we refer to when speaking of egoic, self-aware waking consciousness might in fact derive from a more fundamental something that might not be "conscious," as the word is commonly used.

Put another way: If consciousness is defined as the sum total of your awareness in the common waking state, then consciousness is not fundamental, obviously, since you are not always in the common waking state. But, maybe whatever your inner life consists in when you are "unconscious" (in deep sleep, for instance) is something fundamental, or more fundamental, upon which the common waking state is built. Thus, I could reasonably answer B, since I think solipsism is absurd, and in this view B is less so.

Do you see the problem? Words left undefined can lead you astray, or turn a straightforward question, almost magically, into a leading question.
David_Sundaram

Post by David_Sundaram »

findingblanks wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:35 pm What's more reasonable/possible

An attempt at 'forced' choice? My answer is:

(c) Neither! 😁
David_Sundaram

Post by David_Sundaram »

David_Sundaram wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:26 pm
findingblanks wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:35 pm What's more reasonable/possible

An attempt at 'forced' choice? My answer is:

(c) Neither! 😁
Consider the analogical idea of a 'seed' or 'root' that is 'Conscious'. Are the branches and leaves that grown from IT not also going to be 'Conscious'? And would it be possible for any of them to really (though there may be 'mirages' in this regard! ) be 'solipsistically' disconnected?
Martin_

Post by Martin_ »

findingblanks wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:35 pm What do you think would be Bernardo's response to this question:

What's more reasonable/possible

Thanks

JF
As David noted; are you implying that a) and b) are the only 2 possible options? In that case; explain yourself! :)
"I don't understand." /Unknown
findingblanks

Post by findingblanks »

No, not at all. This kind of casual 'forced choice' isn't an attempt to have a vigorous and precise philosophical conversation. Sorry, but not all useful conversations are in that realm, as Bernardo often demonstrates in his book and conversations.

When people shift from technical to casual conversations, they (some of them!) can enjoy what can be tugged out of such forced choices. Of course nobody here believes that these are our only two options :) I thought that was obvious in how I framed it. I suspect Bernardo understands the point (as trivial as it may be) of my question. That said, I expected a few smarty pants to scold and educate me :) Thanks!

I go with B, by the way. While I can't even begin to imagine what it would even mean for qualia to be derived from some non-qualitative substance, I find it even more difficult to grasp that my (limited ego) experience is all there is or ever has been.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

findingblanks wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:26 pm I go with B, by the way. While I can't even begin to imagine what it would even mean for qualia to be derived from some non-qualitative substance, I find it even more difficult to grasp that my (limited ego) experience is all there is or ever has been.
It may be difficult to grasp, but you can imagine A, right? And you can't even begin to imagine B (neither can anyone else, really). That's why I say A must be more reasonable/possible than B.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Matthew Brett

Post by Matthew Brett »

Ashvin, I think conceivability or imaginability is always a poor basis for metaphysical argumentation. I believe Mr. Kastrup has written well on that very topic.
Matthew Brett

Post by Matthew Brett »

For the record, I'm with David. The correct answer is C.