Heat death of the Universe

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Hedge90

Re: Heat death of the Universe

Post by Hedge90 »

Jim Cross wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:57 pm
Hedge90 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:59 pm
Jim Cross wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:17 pm I have pointed out before The Last Question and its interesting answer to Heat Death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Question

"Let there be light!"
It's a really good short story but I don't think it really fits idealism
Heat Death doesn't fit idealism either. :)

Maybe that's your point but it might be that the idealism is what's wrong.
Why wouldn't it fit idealism? As I said in the OP, in AI, everything in the physical world is a representation of a mental process of MAL. This means that the heat death - if the theory is right - would represent something that is felt by MAL.
AshvinP

Re: Heat death of the Universe

Post by AshvinP »

Jim Cross wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:57 pm
Hedge90 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:59 pm
Jim Cross wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:17 pm I have pointed out before The Last Question and its interesting answer to Heat Death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Question

"Let there be light!"
It's a really good short story but I don't think it really fits idealism
Heat Death doesn't fit idealism either. :)

Maybe that's your point but it might be that the idealism is what's wrong.

Good point. Idealists try too hard to fit every materialist concept into their own framework, regardless of how awkward of a fit it is. The 'law' of entropy is a great example. That law simply cannot be fundamental in any consistent idealist understanding. But rejection of the law as fundamental leads directly to what has always been known as "spiritual reality", and I suspect that is the source of the persistent hesitation.

re: heat death, I am reminded of Bergson's quote:
Bergson wrote:But let us go further and try to engender (we can do so obviously only in thought). To the extent that we distend our will, tend to reabsorb our thought in it and get into greater sympathy with the effort which engenders things, these formidable problems recede, diminish, disappear. For we feel that a divinely creative will or thought is too full of itself, in the immensity of its reality, to have the slightest idea of a lack of order or lack of being. To imagine the possibility of absolute disorder, all the more the possibility of nothingness, would be for it to say to itself that it might have not existed at all, and that would be a weakness incompatible with its nature which is force. The more we turn toward this creative will, the more the doubts which trouble the sane and normal man seem to us abnormal and morbid.
Such is exactly the effect certain “great problems” produce in us when we set ourselves again in the direction of generating thought. They recede toward zero as fast as we approach this generating thought, as they fill only that space between it and us. Thus we discover the illusion of him who thinks he is doing more by raising these problems than by not raising them. One might just as well think that there is more in a half-consumed bottle than in a full one, because the latter contains only wine, while in the former there is wine and emptiness in addition.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."