This forum

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: This forum

Post by AshvinP »

Martin_ wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:18 am This forum used to be about many things. It is now only about one thing.
One thing which has been repeated ad nauseum. Cleric outlined the central thesis of Structured Idealism very coherently and clearly a long time ago. For some reason we haven't - from a scientific perspective - been able to move further than that. (Granted, the last months, I've merely been skimming the posts. Maybe there's a nugget or two in there that i've missed).

Add to that the "I get it. No you don't!" dynamic, and the fact that any attempt to bring something new to the table, runs a high risk of being accused of dualism. (Which, apparently , has ben proven to be the biggest Sin of All in this forum).

This is my perspective. As an example I've been thinking about posting about the merits of Pirsigs MOQ for a while, but can't be bothered because it feels like it would be pointless to do so.

Martin,

Does your perspective account for the plethora of new discussions with Federica which opened up once she made an effort to experience her first-person thinking agency, which apparently you have not been following? How often on this thread people have commented that they don't read the posts or only "skim" them, yet also feel perfectly comfortable asserting they have an informed perspective on the whole matter. That is a microcosm of the reason why, collectively, modern humans cannot seem to remember they have a first-person thinking agency. We feel as though we can hone in one tiny portion of the sensory and conceptual spectrum, isolated in space and time, openly admitting we have no interest in paying attention to anything else, and somehow mine the deepest secrets of reality and human existence from that myopic perspective.

If you brought something new to the table, then I wouldn't need to mention "dualism". Dualism isn't new, it's as old as modern philosophy. But the word "dualism" is only a conceptual handle for a habit of thinking, a thinking which ignores its own reality and therefore is forced to erect a barrier between its own activity and the rest of the World Content. So, yet again, Cleric and I have only tried prompting people to investigate the reality of their own thinking perspective on this thread, which Federica successfully did within a few weeks of joining the forum, yet everyone else has literally ignored (I always get the image of someone shutting their eyes and plugging their ears in this situation). How do you account for the radical difference in the productive and novel discussions which are taking place with her vs. the 'blame everyone and everything else for my own lack of comprehension, and then disappear when asked a question about my own thinking' approach taken by others here?

I also wonder, what are these "many things" which the forum used to be about? Can you give an example?
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Martin_

Post by Martin_ »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:40 pm
Martin_ wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:18 am This forum used to be about many things. It is now only about one thing.
One thing which has been repeated ad nauseum. Cleric outlined the central thesis of Structured Idealism very coherently and clearly a long time ago. For some reason we haven't - from a scientific perspective - been able to move further than that. (Granted, the last months, I've merely been skimming the posts. Maybe there's a nugget or two in there that i've missed).

Add to that the "I get it. No you don't!" dynamic, and the fact that any attempt to bring something new to the table, runs a high risk of being accused of dualism. (Which, apparently , has ben proven to be the biggest Sin of All in this forum).

This is my perspective. As an example I've been thinking about posting about the merits of Pirsigs MOQ for a while, but can't be bothered because it feels like it would be pointless to do so.

Martin,

Does your perspective account for the plethora of new discussions with Federica which opened up once she made an effort to experience her first-person thinking agency, which apparently you have not been following?
Yes it does, I took the OT of this thread to be (and i'm paraphrasing) "Except for the really super interactions I (Federica) is having with Cleric, Ashvin, and Lou, why isn't there anything else going on?"
How do you account for the radical difference in the productive and novel discussions which are taking place with her vs. the 'blame everyone and everything else for my own lack of comprehension, and then disappear when asked a question about my own thinking' approach taken by others here?
I think she's more patient than most of us.

I also wonder, what are these "many things" which the forum used to be about? Can you give an example?

I don't know, it's just my memory of how things used to be. Parts of it come from back in the old days of the previous forum.
"I don't understand." /Unknown
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Martin_ wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:54 pm
AshvinP wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:40 pm

Martin,

Does your perspective account for the plethora of new discussions with Federica which opened up once she made an effort to experience her first-person thinking agency, which apparently you have not been following?
Yes it does, I took the OT of this thread to be (and i'm paraphrasing) "Except for the really super interactions I (Federica) is having with Cleric, Ashvin, and Lou, why isn't there anything else going on?"
How do you account for the radical difference in the productive and novel discussions which are taking place with her vs. the 'blame everyone and everything else for my own lack of comprehension, and then disappear when asked a question about my own thinking' approach taken by others here?
I think she's more patient than most of us.

I don't know, it's just my memory of how things used to be. Parts of it come from back in the old days of the previous forum.

That's for sure!

I remember those older discussions pretty well - "how many ways to make the same exact point about 'dissociation' and 'alters'?". Every new person who shows up to the forum asks some variation of that same question. The whole "dissociation" theme really means nothing in the pursuit of the living relations. If we want to call our personal lack of living knowledge of deeper layers of Being at any given time, "dissociation", that's fine, but it doesn't add anything to our understanding of what's actually going on, what's actually preventing our living knowledge from expanding into those deeper layers. It's not some absolute structure of reality which prevents that living knowledge. Saying you or I are in dissociated states is no different than saying you and I happen to live in different parts of the world right this moment and therefore experiencing different perspectives on the Ideas which structure natural and cultural phenomena. It's the same level of insight into our situation. If we go back through the "many things" discussed previously, we will find that nearly all of them reduce to that same theme.

So, anyway, what do you think about your own first-person thinking agency and its role in the World Content? Have you had any insights in that regard? We should be clear, there is no "thesis" involved in Cleric's TCT essays. There is no postulating of a world-outlook called "structured idealism". That is completely missing the point. It is about experiencing our own first-person thinking agency from within, differentiating it from the dim and homogenous activity we normally call "thinking", i.e. the verbal chatter in our heads.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Martin_

Post by Martin_ »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:03 pm
So, anyway, what do you think about your own first-person thinking agency and its role in the World Content? Have you had any insights in that regard?
A bit off-topic, but sure, i'll bite.

I am - and have been for some time - quite convinced that it plays a significantly more material role than what the dualist (as in your definition of the word) story leads us to believe.

(So no; nothing mind-blowing there, at least it shouldn't be for this audience)
"I don't understand." /Unknown
lorenzop

Post by lorenzop »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:03 pm So, anyway, what do you think about your own first-person thinking agency and its role in the World Content? Have you had any insights in that regard? We should be clear, there is no "thesis" involved in Cleric's TCT essays. There is no postulating of a world-outlook called "structured idealism". That is completely missing the point. It is about experiencing our own first-person thinking agency from within, differentiating it from the dim and homogenous activity we normally call "thinking", i.e. the verbal chatter in our heads.
Speaking of patience . . . this is a question I keep asking and I can't understand your (and Cleric's) answers (perhaps because I'm a fool); What is 'World Content'? I suspect you are using this term instead of the standard nuts-and-bolts phrase 'Reality' for a reason . . . What is 'World Content', and why use this term instead of Reality?
Re 'first-person thinking agency ' what is this? Is this a pre-logic pre-myth mental process whereby we create objects such a trees and automobiles from this stuff called 'World Content'? Is this similiar to Dr. Hoffman and how we create a dashboard from an unintelligible world of chaos?
As you can likely tell I have little clue what you are speaking of.
Can you construct\describe your POV\philosophy using the simple example of the experience of biting into an apple, or does your POV require cryptic phrases because it's so far from normal daily life?
<< I'm hoping to not get yet another wall of cryptic text as an answer.>>
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

lorenzop wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:29 pm
AshvinP wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:03 pm So, anyway, what do you think about your own first-person thinking agency and its role in the World Content? Have you had any insights in that regard? We should be clear, there is no "thesis" involved in Cleric's TCT essays. There is no postulating of a world-outlook called "structured idealism". That is completely missing the point. It is about experiencing our own first-person thinking agency from within, differentiating it from the dim and homogenous activity we normally call "thinking", i.e. the verbal chatter in our heads.
Speaking of patience . . . this is a question I keep asking and I can't understand your (and Cleric's) answers (perhaps because I'm a fool); What is 'World Content'? I suspect you are using this term instead of the standard nuts-and-bolts phrase 'Reality' for a reason . . . What is 'World Content', and why use this term instead of Reality?
Re 'first-person thinking agency ' what is this? Is this a pre-logic pre-myth mental process whereby we create objects such a trees and automobiles from this stuff called 'World Content'? Is this similiar to Dr. Hoffman and how we create a dashboard from an unintelligible world of chaos?
As you can likely tell I have little clue what you are speaking of.
Can you construct\describe your POV\philosophy using the simple example of the experience of biting into an apple, or does your POV require cryptic phrases because it's so far from normal daily life?
<< I'm hoping to not get yet another wall of cryptic text as an answer.>>
Lorenzo,

The reason why it's cryptic is because you are trying to understand what we are saying from the traditional abstract metaphysical perspective. This perspective wants to behold everything as external objects, like images on a movie screen. The phenomenological perspective is quite opposite of this - it seeks to understand the concepts from within as living experience. If it is given concepts about 'hero', 'protagonist', 'villain', 'love story', etc. in the movie, it seeks to understand what those things mean in relation to its own soul-narrative of continuously transforming and evolving willing, feeling, and thinking activity; desires, feelings, thoughts. This cannot be presented in a comprehensible way using sound bites, lists of definitions, or anything similar in a few brief sentences, which is the M.O. for the standard metaphysical approach. People must exercise patience and active effort to follow the illustrations, metaphors, etc. with their own thinking, to imitate the thinking-gestures which went into forming the illustrations, like Federica has shown is quite possible.

"World Content" is simply a way of saying, the appearances of the world as they present to our living activity. It highlights the fact that, when we perceive and conceive the world, we are engaging our own meaningful inner activity to make that possible and we thereby observe the content in various ways which transform in relation to that inner activity. "Reality", on the other hand, means whatever the person using it wants it to mean, and usually that goes right back to abstract metaphysics, speculating about the "essences" of the world independent of our own inner activity. More importantly, the very obsession with the isolated word-forms we are using is an expression of that abstract metaphysical approach which is disconnected from inner activity. Instead of seeking a list of definitions for these word-forms, just try to sense the spirit of the message we are intending to convey with them.

The first-person thinking agency is what you were just using to gather meaning together which you intended to communicate, formulate that meaning into verbal thoughts, precipitate those verbal thoughts into written word-forms. We wouldn't be able to conceptualize anything, or coherently experience the world around us, if this thinking agency was absent. The metaphysical models you are seeking are a manifestation of that activity. We simply need to contemplate that activity deeply rather than get lost in the abstract content (the models) which results from that activity. Instead of debating the metaphysical models, we can livingly confront the inner thinking-gestures we perform to make the models. To put it frankly, how people approach "ontology" or "metaphysics" in academic circles has become practically mindless and worthless. Why?

Because they seek to center their Being in concepts about "reality", rather than experience the center of their Being in their concept-forming activity. The materialist wants to discover their Being in abstract perceptions of neurons, chromosomes, etc. which they treat as external to them.
Similarly, metaphysicians of all sort want to discover their Being in externalized concepts of 'consciousness', 'mind', 'God', etc. Why are there hard problems in philosophy? Because people have no sense that they fantasize that they are combining concepts and producing other concepts. The materialist thinks the concepts of neurons, puts the 'plus' sign between them, and places on the other side of the 'equal' sign the concept 'consciousness' - "neurons + more neurons = consciousness". This is the very same problem that the idealist faces when he tries to produce the alter's consciousness from the concept of MAL. The concept of our consciousness is taken from reality, from actual living experience, but the concept of MAL is abstract, we only have the thoughts about it.

Then if we put the instinctive MAL, which is only an abstract concept disconnected from living experience, on one side of the equation and we place the concept of our consciousness on the other side, imagining that somehow we produce the latter it in this way, deriving a viable explanation for it, we make the same fallacy as the materialist. To redeem these externalized concepts from their lifeless existence in the phantom layer of abstract cognition, we need to investigate the inner activity which is responsible for forming the concepts and weaving them together. That is the first-person thinking agency. It is That which weaves together the percepts-concepts of 'lightning' and 'thunder', for ex. Instead of abstractly speculating what 'essential' thing is behind the lightning and thunder, we can investigate That activity which connects the concepts together, irrespective of whether we know the 'essence' the concepts are pointing to.

Steiner wrote:The reason why it is impossible to observe thinking in the actual moment of its occurrence, is the very one which makes it possible for us to know it more immediately and more intimately than any other process in the world. Just because it is our own creation do we know the characteristic features of its course, the manner in which the process takes place. What in all other spheres of observation can be found only indirectly, namely, the relevant context and the relationship between the individual objects, is, in the case of thinking, known to us in an absolutely direct way. I do not on the face of it know why, for my observation, thunder follows lightning; but I know directly, from the very content of the two concepts, why my thinking connects the concept of thunder with the concept of lightning. It does not matter in the least whether I have the right concepts of lightning and thunder. The connection between those concepts that I do have is clear to me, and this through the very concepts themselves.

This transparent clearness concerning our thinking process is quite independent of our knowledge of the physiological basis of thinking. Here I am speaking of thinking in so far as we know it from the observation of our own spiritual activity. How one material process in my brain causes or influences another while I am carrying out a thinking operation, is quite irrelevant. What I observe about thinking is not what process in my brain connects the concept lightning with the concept thunder but what causes me to bring the two concepts into a particular relationship. My observation shows me that in linking one thought with another there is nothing to guide me but the content of my thoughts.

Contemporary science and philosophy (even mainstream spirituality) don't at all want to approach this point where thinking encounters itself. It is somewhat understandable - it's much more difficult to investigate something incessantly twisting and morphing. This is the great dilemma of the intellect. If it has to investigate itself in the way it feels comfortable with, it must deaden itself - it must freeze itself into immobile mineral forms which are convenient to look at. But this means that all living thinking must cease! The other alternative, where thinking livingly experiences itself in mobility and constant metamorphosis is quite impossible to grasp in static concepts and so it's considered unworthy for scientific exploration. Yet it is precisely in our thinking that we must look to get back into the living World Process - the only WP we can ever know.

We are indeed capable of beholding the mobile and living nature of thinking but we need concepts of another kind, which are fluid and living. Just as we can't learn to ride a bicycle or swim in the water by just holding on to abstract rules but must turn them into living, flowing experience, so the Imaginative experience of thinking is a skill that must be developed. We must learn to swim through the contours of meaning with our thinking. All of this can and has been done. If it hadn't been already done for centuries before us, we wouldn't be able to write any of this (FYI, much of this was adopted from one of Cleric's old posts). This should be a huge source of inspiration and optimism about our ability to not simply 'do ontology', but to live ontology.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

AshvinP wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:39 am Now if you completely disagree that this is possible, that it's been done to some major extent already, and/or you think it's fantastical thinking and superiority complex run amok, then I wish you and others would just say so.
There are some ideas I agree with, there are others we likely won't agree upon; but again, I just no longer have any inclination to carry on delving into that, and just find it a distraction from what the attention is currently focused on. I only commented here since Federica commented upon my absence, and so felt it deserved an explanation. And quite honestly, I've no opinion about where you're at on the journey, except to feel that you will carry on as you must, and only wish you well in that regard. As for your opinions about where I am on the journey, and warnings about being in such a dangerous and deprived state, well, it is of no consequence here whatsoever.

I'm soon off on a trip to BC and Costa Rica, hopefully in the wilderness as much as possible, during which I won't be regularly checking in here. If there is any matter requiring moderation, send a PM or email. and I'll deal with it at the earliest convenience.

Bye for now
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:03 pm
AshvinP wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:39 am Now if you completely disagree that this is possible, that it's been done to some major extent already, and/or you think it's fantastical thinking and superiority complex run amok, then I wish you and others would just say so.
There are some ideas I agree with, there are others we likely won't agree upon; but again, I just no longer have any inclination to carry on delving into that, and just find it a distraction from what the attention is currently focused on. I only commented here since Federica commented upon my absence, and so felt it deserved an explanation. And quite honestly, I've no opinion about where you're at on the journey, except to feel that you will carry on as you must, and only wish you well in that regard. As for your opinions about where I am on the journey, and warnings about being in such a dangerous and deprived state, well, it is of no consequence here whatsoever.

I'm soon off on a trip to BC and Costa Rica, hopefully in the wilderness as much as possible, during which I won't be regularly checking in here. If there is any matter requiring moderation, send a PM or email. and I'll deal with it at the earliest convenience.

Bye for now
Many happy trails to you Dana.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:03 pm

Bye for now

Fair enough. As usual, and like I said, we are only cautioning against reifying one's own personal limitations or lack of interest into laws of reality. I simply wanted to differentiate your sphere of personal interest, which you have now made perfectly clear that you lack for spiritual science (which necessarily involves a 'delving into'), from some law of reality which steers us towards or away from spiritual science, as the case may be, and one can only irresistibly submit to.

Safe travels in the wilderness!
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:36 pm ... and one can only irresistibly submit to.
And equally clear that you can't resist either
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.